Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,810 members, 7,802,595 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:57 PM

Lawmaker In Hot Seat For Improper Remarks On Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lawmaker In Hot Seat For Improper Remarks On Africa (759 Views)

Senators Crack Jokes Over Buhari’s Remarks On Wife / Edo Lawmakers Walk Out Commissioner For Improper Dressing - / Femi Adesina Mounts Hot Seat On Social Media Over His Latest Comments On Buhari, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Lawmaker In Hot Seat For Improper Remarks On Africa by Nobody: 6:08pm On Sep 16, 2015
Source: www.koreatimes.co/www/news/nation/2015/09/116_186980.html
I can't Stomach the insolence

A ruling party lawmaker has been slammed by other politicians for a disparaging remark he made about Africa during a party meeting Tuesday.
While criticizing opposition lawmakers for behaving rudely during a National Assembly audit session, Rep. Na Seong-lin of the ruling Saenuri Party compared their behavior to his assumptions about what occurs in African nations.
"Some opposition lawmakers repeatedly made insulting remarks against government officials without giving a chance to answer questions at an audit session. It was like an African country," Na said.
"It was hard for me to sit together with them because it was so embarrassing."
Na later apologized for the remarks, but critics say Na's comment was highly improper as a senior lawmaker of the ruling party _ and was based on his bias against Africa and people there.
Bae Jong-chan, the chief director at political pollster Research and Research, said Na's remarks exposed his narrow viewpoint about other cultures.
"It can cause negative assessment toward the Korea's National Assembly in the global society," he said. "It can cause diplomatic disputes as well."
Bae noted that the remark was a fatal blunder because the lawmaker specializes in economic issues, and the government has been making efforts to strengthen diplomacy with African nations and break into new markets there including resource development projects.
"Another reason for previous governments as well as the incumbent administration for putting efforts into improving relations with African countries was to take a more favorable position in the diplomatic race with North Korea in the region," he said. "Na's remark can negatively affect these efforts too."
As the protest of the opposition side was intensified during the session, Rep. Na eventually made an apology.
"I apologize with a good grace," he said. "My remarks just came from my sincerity to carry out a more effective audit."

lalasticlala, Ishilove
Re: Lawmaker In Hot Seat For Improper Remarks On Africa by joshadedapo(m): 6:43pm On Sep 16, 2015
This Korean people sef be like say them dey feel themselves too much *mtcheeew*

(1) (Reply)

We’ll Gladly Accept Fayose’s Rams, Food Items – Ekiti Imams. Lobatan! / Buhari's Government To Begin Monitoring Bloggers, Social Media Activists... / If You Have A Problem With Pope Francis You Have A Problem With Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.