Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,305 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:03 AM

Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. (2123 Views)

Anyone That Betrays Tinubu Is Bringing Curses Upon Himself — Fayose / Obama Invites Ahmed Mohamed, Clock-making Teen Arrested In Texas, To White House / Buhari Admonishes CBN Governor For Bringing Jim Ovia To Washington DC Dinner (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by jmoore(m): 7:10pm On Sep 16, 2015

A 14-year-old Texas boy was arrested and taken to juvenile detention Monday after teachers mistook the homemade electronic clock he had brought to school for a bomb.

Ahmed Mohamed, a Grade 9 student at MacArthur High School in Irving, has been suspended for three days. Police initially said he may face charges of making a hoax bomb, but later said the case had been closed without charges.

Police acknowledged that Ahmed had insisted to teachers, the principal and police that his creation was nothing but a clock.

The clock consisted of a circuit board and battery wired to a red LED digital display, encased inside a metal box with a tiger hologram on it, the type of case "you could get a Target for five, 10 dollars," Ahmed told the Dallas Morning News.

He showed it to his engineering teacher Monday morning.

"He was like, 'That's really nice,'" Ahmed said. "'I would advise you not to show any other teachers.'"

Ahmed put the clock in his bag after that, but the alarm went off during English class. He showed his invention to the teacher after class was over.

"She was like, it looks like a bomb," he said.

"I told her, 'It doesn't look like a bomb to me.'"

The teacher kept the clock and the principal called police. Officers pulled Ahmed out of class, questioned him, handcuffed him and took him to juvenile detention, where his fingerprints and mug shot were taken, he said.

"It made me feel like I wasn't human. It made me feel like a criminal," he told the Dallas Morning News.

When the story began circulating on Twitter Tuesday night, many people questioned the reaction of teachers and police to Ahmed's homemade clock, and sympathized with his story.

Source>> http://www.cbc.ca/news/trending/ahmed-mohamed-arrested-clock-bomb-1.3230261

hmed Mohamed went to his high school with the goal of showing his teacher a digital clock he'd made from a pencil case
But an English teacher reported Ahmed's project, which prompted school officials to call police

Washington (CNN)The same day Texas police announced that a teenager arrested in Texas after bringing a clock he made to high school would not charged, President Barack Obama invited the student to the White House.

"Cool clock, Ahmed. Want to bring it to the White House? We should inspire more kids like you to like science. It's what makes America great," the POTUS Twitter account tweeted.

Ahmed Mohamed, who plans to become an engineer, went to his high school in Irving, Texas, on Monday with the goal of showing his teacher a digital clock he'd made from a pencil case.

But the 14-year-old's day did not end with high praise. Instead, an English teacher reported Ahmed's project, which prompted school officials to call police. A photo shows Ahmed being led out of school in handcuffs and a NASA T-shirt.

Muslim teen Ahmed Mohamed creates clock, shows teachers, gets arrested

"They arrested me and they told me that I committed the crime of a hoax bomb, a fake bomb," the freshman later explained.

Mohamed repeatedly told police that what they believed to be a hoax bomb was actually a clock. He said they would not allow him to contact his father, Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed, who ran for president of Sudan earlier this year.

"My son is a very brilliant boy," the father told CNN. "We need people like him in this country."

U.S. Education Secretary Arne Duncan agreed.

"We need to be encouraging young engineers, not putting them in handcuffs. #IStandWithAhmed," Duncan tweeted.

The White House invited Ahmed to Astronomy Night in October, an annual event that brings together astronauts, scientists and other professionals.

White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest said Wednesday that the incident "is a good illustration of how pernicious stereotypes can prevent even goodhearted people who have dedicated their lives to educating young people from doing the good work they set out to do.

"The president, like many of us, was struck by the news reports of this particular incident. The fact is, America's best teachers and our schools and our best schools, at least, nurture the intellectual curiously of all of our students. And this instance, it's clear that at least some of Ahmed's teachers failed him," Earnest said.

Police announced Wednesday that the teen will not be charged, but Mohamed Elhassan Mohamed said he is not sure if his son will return to school Thursday. School officials said they were cooperating with authorities on the matter.

"We always ask our students and staff to immediately report if they observe any suspicious items and/or suspicious behavior," the school's statement reads. "If something is out of the ordinary, the information should be reported immediately to a school administrator and/or the police so it can be addressed right away. We will always take necessary precautions to protect our students and keep our school community as safe as possible."

In the meantime, Ahmed was racking up invitations from top tech companies. Google invited him on Twitter to this weekend's Google Science Fair.

And Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg invited the teen to stop by his company in a statement posted on his page.

"Having the skill and ambition to build something cool should lead to applause, not arrest. The future belongs to people like Ahmed.

"Ahmed, if you ever want to come by Facebook, I'd love to meet you. Keep building," Zuckerberg wrote.

Source>> http://edition.cnn.com/2015/09/16/politics/barack-obama-ahmed-texas/index.html

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Idrismusty97(m): 7:29pm On Sep 16, 2015
He was only arrested because of his name, If his name was Steve he would be term a genius.

Little Ahmed + clock = Bomb

Little Steve + Clock = Genius

He is going to make cool bucks for himself to further his study if he sue the teacher, The school and probably the police.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Proffdada: 10:45pm On Sep 16, 2015
well, he would've gone for a robot not clock tongue
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Nobody: 10:56pm On Sep 16, 2015
Stereotyping. Even the sophisticated/intellectuals are guilty of it, hw much more morons.
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by baralatie(m): 11:33pm On Sep 16, 2015
and the engineering teacher told him "don't let the other teachers see it" that was enough warning!

1 Like

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by DaBullIT(m): 3:30am On Sep 17, 2015
Picture of the clock before I can comment
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by kenny987(f): 3:38am On Sep 17, 2015
An unfortunate circumstance and in this time of heightened security alerts because of terrorist activities one can't be too careful.

1 Like

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by OtunbaJega: 3:47am On Sep 17, 2015
kenny987:
An unfortunate circumstance and in this time of heightened security alerts because of terrorist activities one can't be too careful.

Shut da fuuuuckkk up

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by kenny987(f): 3:50am On Sep 17, 2015
OtunbaJega:

Shut da fuuuuckkk up

U lack proper training...poor sod. How sad for u and ur progeny. U are nothing but an object of pity

7 Likes

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by M4gunners: 4:07am On Sep 17, 2015
Her English teacher is a racist . The police that arrested the small boy are confused fellows.

1 Like

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by aminho(m): 5:18am On Sep 17, 2015
and he is now famous
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by uniklinkum(m): 5:32am On Sep 17, 2015
kenny987:

This is one of the most thoughtless gibberish I have ever read on cyberspace. Are you for real? if it's not the name there won't be have been concern abi. You dumbfucks irritates every atom of commonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by efilefun(m): 5:41am On Sep 17, 2015
kenny987:

AHMED MOHAMED made a clock and he's a terrorist
DYLANN ROOF killed nine people but its ok he's mentally ill.
Moreover before the police got involved the Principal and Others must have checked the clock out including the science teacher but they decided to call on police cuz He's a MUSLIM and a BLACK.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Candyrain(m): 7:59am On Sep 17, 2015
If you can't make any sense from Kenny987 comment then you stay quiet rather than displaying how ignorant you are. Can you point out from her post the reason for your barking?

OtunbaJega:

Shut da fuuuuckkk up
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Candyrain(m): 8:12am On Sep 17, 2015
Perhaps the name was what made them swoop in on the young kid (even though that wasn't stated as the reason) but will you blame them for being too careful going by the recent terrorist activities being carried out by minors. Would you take chances if you noticed any suspicious movement around you by some northern minors with hijab on knowing that they've been used for suicide bombings in recent times? Would you? undecided

uniklinkum:

This is one of the most thoughtless gibberish I have ever read on cyberspace. Are you for real? if it's not the name there won't be have been concern abi. You dumbfucks irritates every atom of commonsense.

1 Like

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by kenny987(f): 8:13am On Sep 17, 2015
uniklinkum:

Like I said...one can't be too careful.
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by uniklinkum(m): 8:19am On Sep 17, 2015
Candyrain:
Perhaps the name was what made them swoop in on the young kid (even though that wasn't stated as the reason) but will you blame them for being too careful going by the recent terrorist activities being carried out by minors. Would you take chances if you noticed any suspicious movement around you by some northern minors with hijab on knowing that they've been used for suicide bombings in recent times? Would you? undecided

Going by your logic, it will be safe to take same measures and precautions on any white male moving into a public space. Cos of white male shootings in public places from Anders brevik to Dylan roof and many others.
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Nobody: 8:22am On Sep 17, 2015
Your reputation precedes you. Islam has given itself a bad name....so no surprises

3 Likes

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Candyrain(m): 8:53am On Sep 17, 2015
How many whites have you heard of going haywire shooting in public compared to countless number of minors been used as suicide bombers? Of course you won't blame them for giving the benefit of doubt to the white male because it's a rare occurrence and they believe something must be wrong somewhere for him (white male) to do such. But can you say that for someone with Ahmed Mohammed as a name? Terrorism, suicide bombings and other such unthinkable evil is associated with people with such names. So I won't blame them for reacting the way they did.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the young kid is a terrorist. Investigation has revealed that he actually made a clock

uniklinkum:

Going by your logic, it will be safe to take same measures and precautions on any white male moving into a public space. Cos of white male shootings in public places from Anders brevik to Dylan roof and many others.
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by 989900: 9:42am On Sep 17, 2015
Shame on Texas.
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by Bobbystanley(m): 9:44am On Sep 17, 2015
Ahmed sorry, Its not ur fault nor that of the English teacher.

Your religion Is a threat to human lives and properties.

Islam and Terrorism =Romeo and Juliet

2 Likes

Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by zeestunner(m): 9:48am On Sep 17, 2015
[quote author=Candyrain post=38091424]Perhaps the name was what made them swoop in on the young kid (even though that wasn't stated as the reason) but will you blame them for being too careful going by the recent terrorist activities being carried out by minors. Would you take chances if you noticed any suspicious movement around you by some northern minors with hijab on knowing that they've been used for suicide bombings in recent times? Would you? undecided

Bro then I guess every white guy should be properly checked before allowing em in to a cinemas,schools or black worship places. Because u can't be too sure which one of their phyco mass murderer they could be
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by zeestunner(m): 9:51am On Sep 17, 2015
Bobbystanley:
Ahmed sorry, Its not ur fault nor that of the English teacher.

Your region Is a threat to human lives and properties.

Islam and Terrorism =Romeo and Juliet

Bro then I guess every white guy should be properly checked before allowing em in to a cinema,school or black worship places. Because u can't be too sure which one of their phyco mass murderer dat could be
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by ERODEDEAST(f): 10:15am On Sep 17, 2015
Eugenedimgba:
Your reputation precedes you. Islam has given itself a bad name....so no surprises
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 10:18am On Sep 17, 2015
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by ayokellany: 10:45am On Sep 17, 2015
[quote author=zeestunner post=38094527][/quote]
When you have your own country you are free to screen whoever you chose. It's the USA and they chose to screen anyone with the name Mohammed. I would too n still have a father that is a Muslim. It's might not be fair to your reasoning but I am 100% positive they are justified in their reasoning for not taking anything for granted.
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by razid: 10:53am On Sep 17, 2015
This is more reason why I don't stereotypically accept all the gibberish that is being said about America and Americans. You always have the good side and the bad side in every nation. Depending on your own kind of individuality, you only focus on the side that best suits you - the good or the bad.

Just take a look at the reactions of people to this issue. They know the problem, yet they don't dwell on it but decided to take concrete action to neutralize its effect. No blame-gaming, no trading of words, no political party shenanigans, etc. Every one that matters condemn the act in a subtle way without necessarily hurting the other side. That's to me quite fantastic. We are human, we have our positive and negative sides. They could have decided to ignore the issue because of the boy's race, religion or status. But they choose to celebrate his ingenuity and probably boost his morale. Kudos
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by zeestunner(m): 11:25am On Sep 17, 2015
ayokellany:

When you have your own country you are free to screen whoever you chose. It's the USA and they chose to screen anyone with the name Mohammed. I would too n still have a father that is a Muslim. It's might not be fair to your reasoning but I am 100% positive they are justified in their reasoning for not taking anything for granted.

Bros am not saying they shouldn't buh common hw many kids have terrorist killed in the US compared to the number white phycos have killed? The point is if u wanna take action then do it to everybody white folks to be checked for arms when they want access to some public places to be on a safe side too amean no life is worthless everybody deserve to be secure shebi?
Its this sort of stereotying of black males in america that has led to a lot of young black livies lost or incarcerated they think all black guys are gangbangers. Am not a muslim buh I hate when people stereotype others
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by talktimi(m): 11:35am On Sep 17, 2015
http://l.?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rawstory.com%2F2015%2F09%2Fwhite-kid-builds-nuclear-reactor-and-homeland-security-offers-help%2F%23.Vfo5PUQJr4I.facebook&h=RAQHl7SKB&s=1

While a white kid is congratulated for building a nuclear reactor grin
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by fxbot: 11:39am On Sep 17, 2015
baralatie:
and the engineering teacher told him "don't let the other teachers see it"
that was enough warning!
he is just kid. He couldn't have understood what the teacher meant and considering he had not committed any evil,why should he be afraid?
Re: Teen Arrested For Bringing Homemade Clock In USA, Obama invites him. by talktimi(m): 11:40am On Sep 17, 2015
Science, U.S. News

White kid builds nuclear reactor and Homeland Security offers help

Travis Gettys

16 Sep 2015 at 14:17 ET

Taylor Wilson (TED)

Don't miss stories. Follow Raw Story!

A Muslim teenager built a simple clock out of electronic components and took it to show his engineering teacher at school — but he was arrested when another teacher thought it looked like a bomb and alerted administrators.

Police in Irving, Texas, never suspected the device was an explosive device and did not alert the bomb squad, but they still arrested 14-year-old Ahmed Mohamed because he could offer no “broader explanation” for his clock besides describing it as a device that measures time.

When another 14-year-old boy built a nuclear reactor at his parents’ home he was invited to meet with officials from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Department of Energy — who offered their expert assistance, equipment and encouragement to apply for a research grant.

READ MORE: The mayor of Ahmed Mohamed’s town is a well-known conservative folk hero for fighting fake Muslim ‘threats’

Taylor Wilson, who is white, entered his nuclear fusion reactor five years ago in a series of science fairs that eventually won him a trip to Switzerland, where he toured the Large Hadron Collider — the world’s largest particle accelerator.

Wilson, now 21 years old, later won $50,000 at a science fair for an anti-terrorism device he invented that can detect nuclear materials in cargo containers.

He demonstrated that device to President Barack Obama at another science fair organized at the White House.

The president also invited Mohamed to visit him at the White House after the Muslim teen’s story sparked national outrage over an apparent double standard.

A black Florida teen was arrested and expelled in April 2013 after her science fair experiment, which involved mixing toilet bowl cleaner and aluminum foil in a plastic water bottle, created a chemical reaction that resulted in a firecracker-like “pop” and some smoke.

The reaction caused no injuries or damage, but the principal of Bartown High School feared the device had violated school policies.

Police charged Kiera Wilmot, then 16, with possession and discharge of a weapon on school grounds and with discharging a destructive device.

The honors student was eventually cleared of charges and went to the U.S. Space Academy after a NASA veteran heard about her story and paid for scholarships for Wilmot and her twin sister.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Breaking News: El-rufai Set To Marry PMB Daughter (photo) / “i’m Kogi’s Governor-elect,” Audu’s Running Mate, James Falake, Writes INEC / Senator Ben Bruce Murray Passes Two Bills.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.