Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,373 members, 7,781,045 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:59 AM

14 Year Old Ahmed Arrested For Bringing A Homemade Clock To School - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / 14 Year Old Ahmed Arrested For Bringing A Homemade Clock To School (949 Views)

Meet A 14 Year Old Prodigy Programmer Who Has Created 15 Apps / Learn How To Program Without Going To School / Homemade Design Forum With Phpbb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

14 Year Old Ahmed Arrested For Bringing A Homemade Clock To School by princejude(m): 5:42am On Sep 17, 2015
Arrested for building a clock from scratch, 14-year-old Ahmed has got invitations from President Barack Obama, Mark Zuckerberg, Twitter and MIT.
Fourteen-year-old MacArthur High School freshman Ahmed Mohamed was arrested by the Irving police after his school teacher suspected a clock that he built from scratch to be a bomb.
His school district spokeswoman Lesley Weaver said officials were concerned with student safety and not the boy’s Muslim faith. His teacher, apparently, found the homemade clock similar in appearance to a bomb and therefore alerted the police.
However, Ahmed has found immense support from across the world. Pictures of him sporting a NASA t-shirt and in handcuffs have gone viral. While social media was abuzz condemning the arrest, the 14-year-old found fans in his President, Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Twitter, which has offered him an internship.
President Obama tweeted about the incident, saying kids should be inspired to grow a liking for science. He invited Ahmed to the White House.
Ahmed was invited to participate in an astronomy night the White House is organising next month with leading scientists.
White House press secretary Josh Earnest called the episode involving Ahmed Mohamed a “teachable moment,” adding the invitation was offered as a way for Ahmed to “nurture that intellectual curiosity.”

On his Facebook page, Mark Zukerberg said the future belonged to people like Ahmed who should be applauded for their efforts.
“You’ve probably seen the story about Ahmed, the 14 year old student in Texas who built a clock and was arrested when he took it to school.

Having the skill and ambition to build something cool should lead to applause, not arrest. The future belongs to people like Ahmed.
Ahmed, if you ever want to come by Facebook, I’d love to meet you. Keep building.”
Ahmed, who now has a verified Twitter handle @IStandWithAhmed, has an internship offer from Twitter and an invitation from MIT. He is also likely to get a full scholarship at MIT.

Ahmed told reporters on Wednesday that he remains suspended from school until Thursday. He told reporters during a news conference on Wednesday afternoon that he plans to transfer to “any other school.”
“So I guess everyone knows I’m the person who built a clock and got in a lot of trouble for it,” Ahmed said, addressing the crowd of reporters outside of his home.
“I built a clock to impress my teacher, but when I showed it to her she thought it was a threat to her. So it was really sad that she took a wrong impression of it, and I got arrested for it later that day,” he was quoted as saying.
Irving Police Chief Larry Boyd, whose team arrested the boy and put him in handcuffs, says he won’t press charges, but that the clock that Ahmed built looked “suspicious in nature."

http://indianexpress.com/article/world/arrested-for-building-clock-14-year-old-ahmed-finds-fans-in-obama-mark-zuckerberg/

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/09/17/us/texas-student-is-under-police-investigation-for-building-a-clock.html?_r=0&referrer=

http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/16/us/texas-student-ahmed-muslim-clock-bomb/index.html
Re: 14 Year Old Ahmed Arrested For Bringing A Homemade Clock To School by respect80(m): 5:48am On Sep 17, 2015
What do you expect from the teacher
If the story was the other way round the whole world would have similarly blame the height of the teachers ignorance...
Re: 14 Year Old Ahmed Arrested For Bringing A Homemade Clock To School by Allwility: 7:05am On Sep 17, 2015
It's a shame the young inventor was racially/religious profiled and arrested. I bet it wouldn't happen if he were a Caucasian or from Asia.

1 Like

Re: 14 Year Old Ahmed Arrested For Bringing A Homemade Clock To School by talk2hb1(m): 10:00am On Sep 17, 2015
Osama is to be blamed undecided
Re: 14 Year Old Ahmed Arrested For Bringing A Homemade Clock To School by Fulaman198(m): 5:44pm On Sep 17, 2015
Allwility:
It's a shame the young inventor was racially/religious profiled and arrested. I bet it wouldn't happen if he were a Caucasian or from Asia.

So true it's a huge shame that United States can't seem to get past their racism.

(1) (Reply)

Ict And Solar System Installation Empowerment / Html5 And Css3 / How Do I Install Ip Software On Laptop Or Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.