Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,585 members, 7,809,115 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:48 PM

Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had (5504 Views)

Jonathan Hits Back At Obasanjo -the Sun / Jonathan Will Be The Greatest President Of Nigeria If He Handover To Buhari / Who Is The Best President Nigeria Has Ever Had? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 7:54am On Oct 06, 2006
Obasanjo is the greatest president this nation has seen when he came into power in the 70s he wasn't exaclty a good president he was a military bully thta some critics thought got what he deserved when he was locked up in jail, I don't know about the jail that he was locked in but it sure changed him, when he was elected in 1999 as Nigeria's new civilian leader he promised for stable electricty, good roads and a great general infastructure, but from 1999-2003 not much was achieved, again in 2003 when he was re-elected he promised for the same things but this time some of of the dreams came true. People wonder where the rest of the promises went and why there hasn't been a significant change in the lives of Nigerians, but it doesn't take a great leader to revolutionize a nation, it takes a geat leader that is also surrounded by cooperative colleagues. The federal Governmnet has done a lot in a lot of states the FG have introduced better communication services and built new roads, but the rest of the reponsibilites were handed over to the local governments. But the local governments (the majority of them) wasted their designated share of the annual budget on personal aspirations and ridiculous projects, Obasanjo is an ambitious leader who perharps made only one big mistake; expecting to much. How can things be achieved when a man that wants the best for his country is surrounded by thieves, the current governmental scandal that was exposed by the Economic and Finanancial Crimes Commision says it all only one man was really found clean, Donald Duke, great things were achieved in his state, Why? simply because he made great use of his state's share of the pie. Obasanjo will attend court shortly because of the transcorp shares, but it is true, Baba does have shares in Transcorp but only because of the future of the nation, a lot of the projects that were proposed were snubbed by private companies and local governments but his secret place in Transcorp made it possible to do the undoable, Transcorp wouldn't have privatised Nitel if it wasn't for his move neither would BPE or the Abuja National stadium. It's easy to judge based on the promises and achievements game but one must really put his mouth were it's due, The combined force of Nigeria's gorvernors is more powerful than that of OBJ, sometimes i wonder how he does his job, But he is doing great things God bless OBJ, Nigeria's Best President  cool

Please don't reply without reading the paragraph above, otherwise your contributions would simply be offtopic and more personal 
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by kekere(m): 8:38am On Oct 06, 2006
I will say he's doing a great job,but when it comes 2 prosecutin corrupt officers he is selectiv. i e BODE GEORGE #85 b N P A , TONY A. #300 b
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by kekere(m): 8:39am On Oct 06, 2006
Yes. he's doing a great job,but when it comes 2 prosecutin corrupt officers he is selectiv. i e BODE GEORGE #85 b N P A , TONY A. #300 b
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 8:42am On Oct 06, 2006
I don't really know about best ever, the first presidents might have been better but he's the best in living memory (Not my living memory, my father's)
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by samorijack(m): 9:49am On Oct 06, 2006
I THINK OBASANJO LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE WE'VE BEEN CURSED WITH REALLY BAD LEADERS AT ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT. HIS PREDECESSORS HAVE ALL BEEN MONUMENTAL FAILURES,AND THE FAILURES ARE STILL CONTNUING. IT'S REALLY DIFFICULT TO BE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT NIGERIA'S FUTURE.I APPRECIATE SOME OF THE THINGS HE'S DONE ,BUT YOU DON'T TELL A BLIND MAN IT'S RAINING ,HE'LL FEEL ITLIKEWISE IF THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER WE'LL ALL FELL IT,MOST NIGERIANS I KNOW DON'T FEEL THINGS ARE IMPROVING,BUT I AGREE HE IS ARGUABLY NIGERIA'S BEST PRESIDENT
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by samorijack(m): 9:52am On Oct 06, 2006
samorijack:

I THINK OBASANJO LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE WE'VE BEEN CURSED WITH REALLY BAD LEADERS AT ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT. HIS PREDECESSORS HAVE ALL BEEN MONUMENTAL FAILURES,AND THE FAILURES ARE STILL CONTNUING. IT'S REALLY DIFFICULT TO BE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT NIGERIA'S FUTURE.I APPRECIATE SOME OF THE THINGS HE'S DONE ,BUT YOU DON'T TELL A BLIND MAN IT'S RAINING ,HE'LL FEEL IT LIKEWISE IF THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER WE'LL ALL FEEL IT,MOST NIGERIANS I KNOW DON'T FEEL THINGS ARE IMPROVING,BUT I AGREE HE IS ARGUABLY NIGERIA'S BEST PRESIDENT
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 10:00am On Oct 06, 2006
That's true but he has no real competitors for the spot of Best president, Obasanjo isn't my ideal president but he's the best this nation has seen in decades

samorijack:

I THINK OBASANJO LOOKS GOOD BECAUSE WE'VE BEEN CURSED WITH REALLY BAD LEADERS AT ALL LEVELS OF GOVERNMENT. HIS PREDECESSORS HAVE ALL BEEN MONUMENTAL FAILURES,AND THE FAILURES ARE STILL CONTNUING. IT'S REALLY DIFFICULT TO BE OPTIMISTIC ABOUT NIGERIA'S FUTURE.I APPRECIATE SOME OF THE THINGS HE'S DONE ,BUT YOU DON'T TELL A BLIND MAN IT'S RAINING ,HE'LL FEEL ITLIKEWISE IF THINGS ARE GETTING BETTER WE'LL ALL FELL IT,MOST NIGERIANS I KNOW DON'T FEEL THINGS ARE IMPROVING,BUT I AGREE HE IS ARGUABLY NIGERIA'S BEST PRESIDENT
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by otokx(m): 2:09pm On Oct 06, 2006
i find it funny when people staying outside nigeria pass comments. which new roads the OBJ make? infact he is going to leave Nigeria with less roads.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by BigB11(m): 2:22pm On Oct 06, 2006
I have no comment.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by joshO: 2:30pm On Oct 06, 2006
Yes, he is arguably the most effective president so far, given the obstacles and resistance to change that abounds around.

That the benefits are not that obvious at the grassroots level can be attributed to the dept of decay in the system. If Nigeria  steers the current course of reform championed by OBJ and the likes of Ribadu, Ozekwesili, Akinluyi, Ribadu, El Rufai etc, in another 5 - 8 years, standard of living should improve considerably.

It's no news that we've been cursed with bad leaders, hence my fear being that another manipulative and ineffective President like IBB or Atiku becomes President.  The first thing they're likely to do is expend our external reserves on the importantion of rice and every imaginable commodity in order to gain cheap popularity and appear effective. In the process they'll continue to enrich themselves, hence bringing us full cycle.

I fully understand why OBJ is doing his best to prevent these men of the night from taking the nation for a ride yet again. Our foreign reserves and increased revenue is being earmarked for major infrastructural development and a facilitator to Foreign Direct Investment.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 2:32am On Oct 07, 2006
otokx:

i find it funny when people staying outside nigeria pass comments. which new roads the OBJ make? infact he is going to leave Nigeria with less roads.
I'm in Nigeria at heart my friend, i wasn't born abroad i've seen Nigeria I've seen leaders change in that country i've seen the way things are done and my conclusion is that OBJ does has done the best job
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by jaso1(m): 2:19pm On Oct 07, 2006
GUYS, for all you have said it can be attributed to the rife of poverty in the land that's why we keep appreciating few thing obj has done so far. let me tell you something this country belong to the whole citizen in it. so don't tell me obj can steel 1billion and apply 1million for Nigeria. this is ridiculous. if not for third time do you know when obasanjo has been treating atiku? don't you know if atiku agree or accept third time there won't be ptdf indictment. despite that atioku is Shina Rambo baba himself is not exonerated OK. bird of thesame feather. let stop all this rubbish by calling spade a spade we have no where to go this is our country stop appreciating the hoodlums.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 2:24pm On Oct 07, 2006
jas_o What you say is 100% true but i never said he's the best man for the job or the greatest president ever, i said he's the best this nation has had, he may steal 1 billion and give 1 million but his predecessors stole 10 billion and gave 1 naira, ya feel me
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by jaso1(m): 2:48pm On Oct 07, 2006
let call a spade a spade thief is thief irespective of the value of the stolen goods. obj,ibb,atiku and others are big fool.
you too should feel me.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 2:52pm On Oct 07, 2006
yeah i feel you but a fact remains a fact, we can count in millions the bad things that he's done but, oh i'm going no where with this, it's the truth OBJ is no great president but we can't deny that he has no competitors and he's not that bad.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by omofineboy(m): 3:00pm On Oct 07, 2006
OBJ is the worst President Nigeria ever had.

Reasons

1.  He is as corrupt as IBB e.g. Presidential Library, Ownership of Transcorp

2.  300 billion budgeted for Roads, no road to show for it

3.  PTDF Money stolen by Atiku and Obasanjo

4.  NNPC missing money

5.  Fertilizer deals to Obasanjo Farms

6.  Commercialization of Education

7.  Killing of Odi people

8.  ZaKI-Biam Killings

9. Religious Riot that killed most Nigerians in Kaduna

10. Increament of Prices of Petroleum Products from 20 naira to 65 naira

11. Mass retrenchment

12. stealing of funds through NEPA

13. COJA Stealing by Atiku and OBJ

14. Life presidency Project

15. No security of Life and Properties

16. Removal of Gov Rashidi Ladoja for no crime

17. No food

18. Highest rate of employment ever

I can give u many reasons why OBJ is worse, as far as I am concerned we have never had it so bad, go what people talked about is macro economics improvement how does that affect my life when i dont have food, go and ask people on d street, they know better.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 3:07pm On Oct 07, 2006
i won't argue with a man like you because you speak the truth, i'll wait till the bad atmosphere clears, i wish you all the best in your life and may you prosper, i'm not a stupid fool that just reads the papers and says all is well. i'm simply patriotic because i was born that way, and i won't stop believing because as long as someone is alive there is hope spiritually and financially and as long a sa nation is alive there is hope, OBJ aint all that great but there are a lot of explanations for the misachivements maybe not for all but hey, no one would swap OBJ for Abacha even if life was better then
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by Odeku(m): 3:08pm On Oct 07, 2006
He might not be the gratest president, I was young when ZIK was president, and I can't recollect shagari accomplishments. but I will say he is the most effecttive leader we've had. After Idiabgon
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 3:11pm On Oct 07, 2006
when zik was president ?? hey tell me how things were back then because my father doesn't tell me nothing all he ever says is back in the days when U.I was a great university and when you could leave your door open and not get robbed
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by Odeku(m): 3:13pm On Oct 07, 2006
ZIk was president in the 60s and I wan't even born, the population wasnt as much and corruption wasnt the way of life, no OKADA
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 3:16pm On Oct 07, 2006
Hey but corruption is part of society it's a cycle, Power---Greediness-----corruption-------overthrow the government---------better life--------power-----Greediness and so on There was a time in Nigeria when life was good lets see that cycle we've overthrown the military, so it's only a matter of time or is the better life going to be overdue undecided
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by lewa(m): 11:34pm On Oct 08, 2006
YES OBJ is the man yet jobs are scarce,inflation is double digit,hunger rampant, potable water-unavailable
power supply a luxury, good motorable roads unexistent, assassinations unsolved,
armed banditry unchecked-please say something else.Many people are dying, spin isnt the issue here
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 6:48am On Oct 09, 2006
But you must look at what he has achieved to understand my reason for opening this topic, Like for instance Inflation which has been skyrocketing since 1992 has slowed down in the past two years, under the reign of Obasanjo's Administration, although that credit must be given to Africa's best CBN Governor, Soludu, he closed the gap between the official and parallel rates. You must also see where the Power sector is going rather than where it is, because although it is a fact that in some respects electricity is worse there is no where else for the sector to go than up wards, with the new NIPs that have been scheduled for completion by the end of 2007, power supply will be increased by no less than 4500 megawatts, and the current Battle of corruption in the Power Sector although slower than in other sectors is showing some positive light, The reign of Obasanjo's administration has seen new initiatives and innovatives been introduced for example the growth in the telecommunications sector, but because sadly and unfortunately a portion of citizens never see any things good in this nation so they always find wrong things like; call rates are too expensive, the services are poor, and yeah GSM is nice but what about nitel you get the point, also during his reign new tourism spots have sprung up and old ones revived, the first phase of Tinapa which by God's grace will be complete by this years end will see new tourists come into the nation, During the reign of OBJ the fight of corruption has been hotter than ever before, with the EFCC active in all sectors and breathing under everyone's necks, with the renewed transparency in the Nigerian economy new investors have flocked in building new assembly lines like, what nokia plans to do soon, KIA a automoblie giant has also unveiled plans to open shop many others are following, this will create more jobs without doubt (or pigs can fly) Obasanjo is a visionary and though a lot of people don't think he's the rigt man he's doing a damn good job-------------peace-------------- cool
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by omofineboy(m): 10:32pm On Oct 09, 2006
dblock,

You did a good job for OBJ, for Christ's sake OBJ has spent almost seven years now, Power is not better, yeah Soludo has tried but has his efforts trnasformed into good living, you talked about NEPA, by the time OBJ leaves you will know NEPA is a siphoining pipe. OBJ wasnt the one that initiated TINAPA it is Donald Duke idea, all I know is that Life under this govt is worse, He should have done what will affect positively the life of Nigerians, instead of pursuing elctricity that will take him 50 years to realize. When you talk of corruption its more endemic and systemic now than ever, no government in the past have realised so much money like this govt, what did they do with it, looting and stealing in the name of projects.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 10:44pm On Oct 09, 2006
I know that tinapa was commisioned by Duke, i wasn't born yesterday, but the project couldn't, was supported by the man himself, I seriously doubt that the current projects and promises that the current Govt have made will be shattered by 07, simply beacuse the likely candidates for the election, are no longer so likely
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by omofineboy(m): 1:29am On Oct 10, 2006
ok. I still maintain my stand anyway
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 6:41am On Oct 10, 2006
My stand is giving OBJ too much credit and yours is not given him any, the middle will do
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by lewa(m): 12:33am On Oct 12, 2006
Sorry stand or stance?
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by otokx(m): 4:45am On Oct 12, 2006
Looking back now; its obvious some people have blocked themselves to the truth.

How many times did Abacha increase price of petrol?

In which regime has corruption been the more institutionalised?

As femi the son of "ebami eda" said "Look, again I say Obasanjo don kill nigeria, now Obasanjo and him pady pady wan tell all of us say Obasanjo no guilty"
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 6:21am On Oct 12, 2006
But during this current administration, the government has improved the non-oil exports and released new products to export, the foreign reserves are now above $40 billion and the government has strengthened the economy and if the newly earned money is put to good use as suggested by Tinubu, poverty in Nigeria can be reduced by a large amount, during OBJ's reign communication and transportation has improved. Corruption is not a norm in the OBJ saga it is simply been exposed so it seems as if it is more than previous years, but it actually isn't, The projects scheduled bu the current administration are contrast to the previous Admins as they aren't simply white elephant projects they are visions, they create jobs and pump money back into the local economy, they lead the way for SMEs to spring up, they enhance and support the already existant tourist attractions, during the reign of OBj and during his superior leadership The economy as grown steadily and is promising, the currency is stronger because of new ideologies and plannig like Macro economical initiatives and closing the gap between the parallel and official exchange rates, OBJ isn't your Average Godsent president, he's got a lot of faults but he sure is more promising and seems to be the best this nation has their are only two things that if he had achieved would have seen him knighted and that is reducing poverty to around 45-50% and providing stable water and electricity. wink
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by omofineboy(m): 11:03pm On Oct 12, 2006
@dblock,

I went through you posts as I was thinking may be you are not in Nigeria, I discovered that the truth is that you reside in Australia and as such I wont say much, its obvious that you dont stay here, and if you do then it means that you are not kept abreast of events in this country. The only point you made is about foreign reseves, but do u know that OBJ is planning to steal part of it b4 he goes, e.g Millenium Tower that costs 52b naira or so, all other points pls ask people that are here, roads are bad, no employment, just name it, ok you will be suprised this is the worst govt, World bank reports says that corruption is more endemic now, money stolen in this govt is more than all stolen in d past put together, you know why, they made big money from oil like no one had ever made, and they are stealing it like no one ever did. EFCC is not the creation of OBJ, it is the creation of the western countries and Nigeria creditors. I am sure OBJ in his heart of hearts will be regreting to have succumbed to its creation, becuase EFCC will also send him to jail, thats the truth.
Re: Obasanjo The Greatest President Nigeria Has Ever Had by dblock(m): 11:18pm On Oct 12, 2006
I don't live in Australia or do I, The government isn't spending a ton of money on such things like the millenium tower, it is left to the private sector. Take a look at CIA web, , you'll se that nigeria's unemplyment rate isn't bad at all, Even if i don't live in nigeria which i do not live in diaspora or do I, my mum lives in Nigeria and men the way you make it sound isn't how she explained it to me, butta that's not important. Lets not leave such discussions to be engulfed by thoughts based on what you see, you shuold also know that about 85% of the projects that OBJ approved are not complete and most won't be complete by the end of his reign, so i don't know what you are judging, I've seen a lot of the projects myself VIA streaming and they don't look all too bad, you're saying that roads are bad and nothing is been done when the 500 roads project is nowhere near completion, you're saying that electricity is bad when the transmission line from Inga dam has not been finalised and the NIPs haven't been completed, the best way to learn is from your mistakes and although Nigeria has made a lot of mistakes it learns from a lot of them, for example Aviation; we are all familiar with the poor maintanance culture of this nation and the two tragic incident that occured late last year, but not all of us are familiar with what the government is currently doing to fix the sector, it has scheduled for the construction of two world class airports, the Lagos domestic airport which is nearing completion and the Akwa Ibom international Airport, The domestic airoport which is currently been built ca be comapared to international airports in a lot of countries and there are even thoughts that maybe the Airport can also be utilised as an international airport. The government has aslo left the Sector to the private sector for the emergeance of new airlines to take off.

----------------------TO BE CONTINUED--------------

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

FG Inaugurates Panel To Recover Unremitted Revenues / IMO Guber Election Results (INEC Declarations) / Nigeria Cannot Survive Without The Igbos” – Femi Aribisala

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.