Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,337 members, 7,780,885 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:31 AM

The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots (3904 Views)

Google Rolls Out Free Wi-fi In Nigeria's City Of Onitsha & Others / 10m Nigerians To Get Free Wi-fi Facilities As Google Station Opens / Wi-fi To Be Replaced By Li-fi Soon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Gbexador(m): 9:07pm On Sep 17, 2015
It's almost an impulse nowadays to look for a free, open Wi-Fi network while we're on the move — especially since it's become so easily accessible. But these free networks, especially those in touristy, high traffic areas, can spell major trouble.
Cyber hackers have learned to anticipate our every move, so when they advertise free Wi-Fi without requiring a password, it's natural for us to be enticed. But beware — this is one very calculated move. By logging onto their network with our cell phones, we are essentially allowing hackers to access personal, private information about us.
"Your videos, your social security number, your insurance information, your credit card information, mobile payments. They are after that information," says Varun Kohli, a computer security expert.
Skycure recently released a list of the world's top tourist attractionsthat are surrounded by potentially malicious Wi-Fi networks. Unsurprisingly, New York City's Times Square tops the list as the most dangerous. The study found that when standing in the middle of Times Square, there were 10 suspicious Wi-Fi networks in just a one block radius.

The study also said that 92% of people who log into free Wi-Fi networks never read the disclaimer beforehand. Sometimes, the disclaimer will even openly state that the network can and will access personal information if you use it.
How can you prevent identity theftin this case? Kohli stated that if the Wi-Fi network has the word "free" in the title, it's best to avoid it altogether.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by lekjons(m): 9:45pm On Sep 17, 2015
thanks!
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by mjames: 10:05pm On Sep 17, 2015
Good advice I tell you. Free free dey run belle. But include "free" Wi-Fi hot spot in your topic so it does not mislead people.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by ridwan4u(m): 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2015
Thanks. For the information.

1 Like

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by razid: 10:11pm On Sep 17, 2015
Typical case of Nigerian "awoof dey run belle"
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by kprakhid: 10:52pm On Sep 17, 2015
abegiii...I dey find free wifi... grin na dat type dey sweet
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by rafeelly(m): 11:20pm On Sep 17, 2015
if I hear... hackers can like to hack my fone or system they won't see anything...

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Daniel2802(m): 12:18am On Sep 18, 2015
No need to be bothered. Nigerian hackers never reach that level moreover there is no private info on my phone.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Baroba(m): 12:18am On Sep 18, 2015
Good points, but there is a way to get round, connect through a decent VPN proxy you are safe, I use tunnelbear and I have never had any issues..
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Nobody: 1:31am On Sep 18, 2015
Awoof been dey tear throat o.

No be every offer person dey jump at sef
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by cana882(m): 6:24am On Sep 18, 2015
Nyc 1 op... thanks
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by heykims(m): 6:26am On Sep 18, 2015
Thanks op, I will take note of this when arrive in the US, but Oshodi, Mokola, Dugbe here, guy forget o...
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by kelvyn7: 6:42am On Sep 18, 2015
Woah shocked

This is so important
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Yankeewealth(m): 6:48am On Sep 18, 2015
[color=#770077][/color] hummmmmm good advice I'm gonna make use of it. Fenk u
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by baba11(m): 6:49am On Sep 18, 2015
It's so interesting to know this...****an Eye-opener ******* cool
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by bluewles33: 7:22am On Sep 18, 2015
Abeg i go still do
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by invisibility: 7:23am On Sep 18, 2015
So Op does it mean if its not FREE the hackers will loose their ability to has or the provider of such wifi services can't hack.
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by psyqs(m): 7:31am On Sep 18, 2015
Take me to d promise land
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Lovexme(m): 7:41am On Sep 18, 2015
This isn't really a Nigeria related problem. There are hardly any free hotspots to begin with.

2 Likes

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Pinkiedearie(f): 8:05am On Sep 18, 2015
Wow!.thanks Op..i'm guilty of this..hehehhe
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by chumakk: 8:23am On Sep 18, 2015
This advice don't work in Nigeria because I have never seen a free wifi before

2 Likes

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by damiloladuke: 8:30am On Sep 18, 2015
aWUUF go simply kill some people

BLOGGERS & OTHERS.. CHECK MY SIGNATURE
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by JIVANJYOT(m): 8:33am On Sep 18, 2015
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Nobody: 8:43am On Sep 18, 2015
when man no kon get money to subscribe nko? 9ja peeps lukin for free tinz since 1960'
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Abayor7: 10:40am On Sep 18, 2015
OP i will heed only if u can subscribe for me for a year.
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by callmelanner(m): 10:48am On Sep 18, 2015
Awoof dey scatter belle
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by hydrazone: 11:18am On Sep 18, 2015
Free Wi-Fi

2 Likes

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by Dannidom(m): 12:22pm On Sep 18, 2015
This bloggers eh.

By the way if una see free wifi anywhere in naija pls holla me fast fast
Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by drss(m): 12:24pm On Sep 18, 2015
:/ how many free wifi hotspot we get for zoogeria? dis topic no be zoogerian problem. we no get free wifi for dis village.

1 Like

Re: The Reason You Should NEVER Connect Through Wi-fi Hotspots by constance500: 4:40am On Sep 19, 2015
Gbexador:
It's almost an impulse nowadays to look for a free, open Wi-Fi network while we're on the move — especially since it's become so easily accessible. But these free networks, especially those in touristy, high traffic areas, can spell major trouble.
Cyber hackers have learned to anticipate our every move, so when they advertise free Wi-Fi without requiring a password, it's natural for us to be enticed. But beware — this is one very calculated move. By logging onto their network with our cell phones, we are essentially allowing hackers to access personal, private information about us.
"Your videos, your social security number, your insurance information, your credit card information, mobile payments. They are after that information," says Varun Kohli, a computer security expert.
Skycure recently released a list of the world's top tourist attractionsthat are surrounded by potentially malicious Wi-Fi networks. Unsurprisingly, New York City's Times Square tops the list as the most dangerous. The study found that when standing in the middle of Times Square, there were 10 suspicious Wi-Fi networks in just a one block radius.

The study also said that 92% of people who log into free Wi-Fi networks never read the disclaimer beforehand. Sometimes, the disclaimer will even openly state that the network can and will access personal information if you use it.
How can you prevent identity theftin this case? Kohli stated that if the Wi-Fi network has the word "free" in the title, it's best to avoid it altogether.

exactly, even the updated XENDER app can import videos and data from connected devices without te consent of the owner

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Thought On The Blackberry Service In Nigeria / Tecno Telecom Limited / LG D410 Or Infinix Zero, Which Will You Recommend I Buy?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.