Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,867 members, 7,802,798 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:46 PM

Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It (1273 Views)

Résumé, Étude Et Analyse de La Malédiction Du Lamantin De Moussa Konaté: / Résumé, Étude et Analyse de Chaque Chose En Son Temps De Lynn Mbuko / The Most Wrongly Used Word (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by chronique(m): 10:07pm On Sep 17, 2015
Hi folks,I just stumbled on a topic I discussed with a few people some years back,and thought it'd be a nice idea to get more people to share their thoughts on this. Now,I'm not claiming to be right here;I'm just stating my personal view on this subject. We can all look at it together and see if we can make any sense together.

Why do we pronounce the word "champagne" as "shampayne" or "shampain"?
The word "CHAMPAGNE" is probably being pronounced wrongly as "SHAM-PAIN" or "SHAM-PAYNE" and i can explain:
In oral english,we were taught certain diphtongs and pronounciations & it goes thus:
ch: (pronounced as chi). eg: cheap,chip,cheat,chief,chef,chop,etc
sh: (pronounced as shi). eg: sheet,ship,sheep,shop,shot,short,etc
th: (pronounced as fe). eg: think(fink),thank(fenk),etc.
when you break CHAMPAGNE into two syllables,you get "cham"-"pagne". The cham should be pronounced like the cham in champion. The pagne should be pronounced as "pag-ne". or better still,we could have champ-agne as in agnes. It's either we pronounce it like this or we respell it as champayne or champain.
Pronouncing it as "shampayne" or "shampain" might just be wrong.

Note that "pag" elsewhere in English language is pronounced as "parj"(when spelt) e.g: pageantry.

Do you think English language is totally not correct at times,and that they'd need to review the spelling & pronounciation of certain words. What's your thought on this?

Cc:lalasticlala
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by chronique(m): 10:09pm On Sep 17, 2015
Note: the bone of contention here,is how the two syllables that makes up the word "champagne",are being pronounced.
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by Nobody: 10:12pm On Sep 17, 2015
Doesn't work that way. The etymology of a word is what determines how it's pronounced.
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by Realtol(m): 10:14pm On Sep 17, 2015
Language does not follow logic and it's arbitrary... . What will you call Chasm and Chaos if CH only sounds as (Chi) as u claimed in your assertion?
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by dajoaneke(m): 10:16pm On Sep 17, 2015
Engliss sha!
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by dajoaneke(m): 10:17pm On Sep 17, 2015
You shud know that Champagne is a french word. Not English.
You might as well pronounce Kerosine as 'Ke-ro-See-Nay' or Language as 'Lan-gu-a-gay'...
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by Nobody: 10:20pm On Sep 17, 2015
Interesting.. cool
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by chronique(m): 10:26pm On Sep 17, 2015
That's why I'm thinking English language isn't totally correct. Chaos is pronounced as "kay-us". I think the problem is from the diphtong "ch" being pronounced as "chi".
Realtol:
Language does not follow logic and it's arbitrary... . What will you call Chasm and Chaos if CH only sounds as (Chi) as u claimed in your assertion?
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by osesology(m): 10:39pm On Sep 17, 2015
Some English words can really be confusing as regards the spelling and it's pronunciation. I really wonder if these English people were high on something when they were constructing these words. What the hell is `G' doing in: Champaigne, Campaign etc, if it cannot be pronounced with it. Personally, I like the way the Hausas pronounce theirs, making sure that every alphabet counts
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by chronique(m): 10:42pm On Sep 17, 2015
I'm a very inquisitive person and I've always wondered why we spell kerosine/kerosene that way,and pronounce it as "kerozin/kerozene". Same way I wonder why "chemical" is pronounced as "kemikal/kemical". How come the diphtong "ch" also changes from "chi" to "ke"? Maybe the vowel that follows the "ch" is responsible. But then again,how do we reconcile "cheap" pronounced as "chiip" but "chemical" pronounced as 'kemical"? Maybe the fact that 2 vowels appear after the CH in cheap,and a vowel and consonant appears after the CH in chemical. Confusing if logic is applied... Language is straightforward here: lan-gu-age. The 3 syllables(2 syllables in the real sense) matches with their pronounciation.
dajoaneke:
You shud know that Champagne is a french word. Not English.
You might as well pronounce Kerosine as 'Ke-ro-See-Nay' or Language as 'Lan-gu-a-gay'...
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by jaymichael(m): 11:52pm On Sep 17, 2015
champagne is a French word, using English language rules to pronounce it right is out of place. We pronounce it the way has French want to pronounce it.
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by osamaBUSH(m): 6:47pm On Sep 18, 2015
Pronunciation not Pronounciation
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by An0nimus: 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2015
champagne /ʃamˈpeɪn/ shoe /ʃuː/ champion /ˈtʃampɪən/ pageantry /ˈpadʒ(ə)ntri/

sauce: google
Re: Opinion: The Word "Champagne" Is Being Spelt/pronounced Wrongly;let's Analyse It by An0nimus: 8:41pm On Sep 18, 2015

(1) (Reply)

I Need A Story Editor Or A Movie Script Writer / My Apologies!!!!! / Tragedy Of Insanity (based On 'the Madness Of Didi By Obi Egbuna)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.