Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! - Career (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! (335821 Views)

Nurses Forum: Let's Meet Here / Medical Doctors In Residency Programmes In Nigeria / More Than 5000 Nigeria-trained Medical Doctors Practise In Us’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Pzone: 9:53am On Sep 29, 2015
PLAB 1 is just £155 and not £500
rugged7:
Very good idea
£500 for plab1 and another £500 for plab2
But IELTS will be the main problem

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Pzone: 9:55am On Sep 29, 2015
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Pzone: 10:07am On Sep 29, 2015
Exactly, Naija internship blocks your chances of getting a training post because they dont consider it equivalent to an Irish internship. If you can find a way to repeat internship in South Africa, Sudan or Malaysia and get your Certificate of Experience (COE), the sky is your starting point in Ireland. Our Naija system is really messed up brother, no 1st world country recognizes any Nigerian postgraduate medical qualification except first degree (Only schools on the WHO directory of course).
trendphemmy:

how does someone dat did housemanship in Nigeria get residency then or doing housemanship in Nigeria blocks all ways lto getting residency

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by trendphemmy(m): 11:50am On Sep 29, 2015
Pzone:
Exactly, Naija internship blocks your chances of getting a training post because they dont consider it equivalent to an Irish internship. If you can find a way to repeat internship in South Africa, Sudan or Malaysia and get your Certificate of Experience (COE), the sky is your starting point in Ireland. Our Naija system is really messed up brother, no 1st world country recognizes any Nigerian postgraduate medical qualification except first degree (Only schools on the WHO directory of course).

can d internship be repeated in ireland or what can one do if he/she has done internship on nigeria apart from going to all dose countries listed?

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by doctor90210: 12:35pm On Sep 29, 2015
From what I've read, It is extremely difficult for an Irish trained Nigerian medical graduand to get internship in Ireland not to mention Nigerian trained doctor.

4 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Vcojuro: 2:46pm On Sep 29, 2015
Please who knows about the average monthly salary of an intern doctor in Nigeria especially in southern part of this country
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 7:49pm On Sep 29, 2015
True, but u will do preparatory courses like Swammy or plabtrainer or samson.
So hold £500

Pzone:
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by RedCapChief(m): 8:12pm On Sep 29, 2015
loadux:
am interested in writing PLAB exam but what to know how, where I can write it and how much its going to cost.

Any doctor who plans to leave Nigeria has be gather information, money and then be focused to the end. These exams are not cheap and finding fellow doctors to motivate you will not be easy. If you are still starting out, better save cash or get another job because you'll need it
You have to check what your endgame is. Do you want to specialize and become a Consultant/Attending or will you be comfortable as a locum doctor in the UK earning good money. Any doctor writing PLAB?
In the end, it is all worth it.
PLAB 1 - £155
PLAB 2 - £465
IELTS - 40,000 naira?? (let's ask @gmyguy for confirmation)
This is exclusive of preparatory material
If you want to do the USMLE, then
Step 1 - $1015 - if you write the exam in Africa
Step 2 CK - $1015
Step 2 CS - $1505 - you must go to the US to write this.
Then you apply for residency
This is exclusive of transport to Ghana to write the exam and processing your school documents.

If you want to go to Canada (I don't advise this tho)
Registration - $265
MCCEE- $1695
MCCEE 1 - $980
MCCEE 2 - $2350

I know some buds who are earning good money in the UAE, though they are non-training posts

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 8:39pm On Sep 30, 2015
RedCapChief:

Any doctor who plans to leave Nigeria has be gather information, money and then be focused to the end. These exams are not cheap and finding fellow doctors to motivate you will not be easy. If you are still starting out, better save cash or get another job because you'll need it
You have to check what your endgame is. Do you want to specialize and become a Consultant/Attending or will you be comfortable as a locum doctor in the UK earning good money. Any doctor writing PLAB?
In the end, it is all worth it.
PLAB 1 - £155
PLAB 2 - £465
IELTS - 40,000 naira?? (let's ask @gmyguy for confirmation)
This is exclusive of preparatory material
If you want to do the USMLE, then
Step 1 - $1015 - if you write the exam in Africa
Step 2 CK - $1015
Step 2 CS - $1505 - you must go to the US to write this.
Then you apply for residency
This is exclusive of transport to Ghana to write the exam and processing your school documents.

If you want to go to Canada (I don't advise this tho)
Registration - $265
MCCEE- $1695
MCCEE 1 - $980
MCCEE 2 - $2350

I know some buds who are earning good money in the UAE, though they are non-training posts

Yes sir.
It is 40k
How do i get a UAE job?
Is the pay fantastic??
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 8:47pm On Sep 30, 2015
esosa4real:

na wa, i thought ireland was getting better...thanks, please is the amc for australia?? and any real info about it? pros and cons?

That Australia runz though...don't use all your widow's might for it...cos i don't think it's easy to pass. I think the exam is written in Greece and Australia. I know some folks who went to Greece to fail and gave up. And another to Australia to fail, and got stuck there, with no $$$. So he got a teaching job and has been teaching since. But i heard the pay is good, if you can pass the AMC, but unfortunately, the number of Nigerians there is lower than UK and USA, and d place is fing far!...not to talk of the spiders, snakes and walking lizards!!!

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 8:49pm On Sep 30, 2015
angiography:
I am a newly admitted student into medicine, OAU. I appreciate this thread and u guys for ur posts. It's informative!
ogbeni...pls get through med school first....come back here when you are in 500 level or final year, no offence

10 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 9:35pm On Sep 30, 2015
That's harsh and unnecessary. He did no wrong by expressing what he felt about the thread.

gmyguy:
ogbeni...pls get through med school first....come back here when you are in 500 level or final year, no offence

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Waliyllahi(m): 9:51pm On Sep 30, 2015
this thread is gettin lively again and im feelin ds. well done
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Waliyllahi(m): 9:58pm On Sep 30, 2015
@ Redcapchief .... pls why dont u advise canada. Dats where i ws lookin at .... used to think its d same system with the US sinve they share so many oda things in common. thanks
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by angiography(m): 11:19pm On Sep 30, 2015
gmyguy:
young guy...this' a forum to discuss issues irrespective of levels u are in...and our ambitions are diff.
May be u think everyone just coming into medicine are just fresh highschl leavers

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by RedCapChief(m): 11:28pm On Sep 30, 2015
gmyguy:

That Australia runz though...don't use all your widow's might for it...cos i don't think it's easy to pass. I think the exam is written in Greece and Australia. I know some folks who went to Greece to fail and gave up. And another to Australia to fail, and got stuck there, with no $$$. So he got a teaching job and has been teaching since. But i heard the pay is good, if you can pass the AMC, but unfortunately, the number of Nigerians there is lower than UK and USA, and d place is fing far!...not to talk of the spiders, snakes and walking lizards!!!

Australia is a bloody far place, almost on the far end of the world.
The Australian system is very disorganised for foreign doctors.
Part of the problem with Australia is getting the internship slot that is required to commence residency training. However, if you are willing to go into the remote/rural parts of Australia, then it may work for you. Nobody likes those regions because they are a long long way from the mainland where everybody lives and you have to battle hot temperatures, possible loneliness (no Naija peeps) and then gmyguy's spiders, snakes and walking lizards grin.

You'll need to scale you IELTS and AMC MCQ (approx A$2000) and then get the required visa

Currently though, there is no place to write the exam in Africa and many foreign doctors are even averse to practicing in Australia. The average Pakistani, Indian or Fillipino doctor wants to go to the US or Great Britain.. I'd even advise New Zealand over Australia, at least there are some successful Naija docs there.
[/color]

[quote author=Waliyllahi post=38545542]@ Redcapchief .... pls why dont u advise canada. Dats where i ws lookin at .... used to think its d same system with the US sinve they share so many oda things in common. thanks

@Waliyllahi
Canada is worse than the UK and US when it comes to their allowance for foreign doctors to practice medicine. Even the UK can grant you locum spots where you will make a few pounds to keep body and soul together. In the US, foreign doctors join residency programs on the average of 7 out of 10 (this is specialty dependent) -all you have to do is pass your Steps on 1st attempt and you can get in.

Canada has a doctor shortage yet their doors are firmly closely. Some provinces like Alberta and Saskatchewan are begining to open up poco a poco

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 2:40am On Oct 01, 2015
I havent met any1 in Nigeria who took Swammy and plabtrainer course as you said for PLAB 1, people mostly, only do that for the OSCE (PLAB 2) & thats in London. The registration fee for PLAB 1 remains £155 and not £500, don't misinform people.
rugged7:
True, but u will do preparatory courses like Swammy or plabtrainer or samson.
So hold £500

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 2:58am On Oct 01, 2015
The creator of this thread said "medical doctors' forum", I'm guessing it has not changed to "doctors, students and every1". There's a very vibrant thread for medical students on nairaland, I'll advice you to go there.
Here: https://www.nairaland.com/1049407/medical-students-aspirants-thread
angiography:

young guy...this' a forum to discuss issues irrespective of levels u are in...and our ambitions are diff.
May be u think everyone just coming into medicine are just fresh highschl leavers

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by angiography(m): 7:59am On Oct 01, 2015
EggPlant:
The creator of this thread said "medical doctors' forum", I'm guessing it has not changed to "doctors, students and every1". There's a very vibrant thread for medical students on nairaland, I'll advice you to go there.
Here: https://www.nairaland.com/1049407/medical-students-aspirants-thread
tell me what the problem really is!
I don't think it's wrong if i fancy some info being given out here. Your position as a doctor is not under threat by my being here, i assume.

Just tell me why a 'lawyer' (or other professional), not to talk of a medical student, cannot come here to source info!...

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Waliyllahi(m): 8:17am On Oct 01, 2015
[q
@Waliyllahi
Canada is worse than the UK and US when it comes to their allowance for foreign doctors to practice medicine. Even the UK can grant you locum spots where you will make a few pounds to keep body and soul together. In the US, foreign doctors join residency programs on the average of 7 out of 10 (this is specialty dependent) -all you have to do is pass your Steps on 1st attempt and you can get in.

Canada has a doctor shortage yet their doors are firmly closely. Some provinces like Alberta and Saskatchewan are begining to open up poco a poco
[/quote
Ohk. Thanks bro for d insight. Now im confused sef. Now in final year...thinkin of what next to do. perhaps wil jst go abroad for a masters in psychiatry and come bak for residency in naija. .....all dese wahala gor foreign placements ehn and d costs arent smilin as well....thinkin if i will be able to afford such.
thanks all d way

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Waliyllahi(m): 8:19am On Oct 01, 2015
RedCapChief:

Part of the problem with Australia is getting the internship slot that is required to commence residency training. However, if you are willing to go into the remote/rural parts of Australia, then it may work for you. Nobody likes those regions because they are a long long way from the mainland where everybody lives and you have to battle hot temperatures, possible loneliness (no Naija peeps) and then gmyguy's spiders, snakes and walking lizards grin.

You'll need to scale you IELTS and AMC MCQ (approx A$2000) and then get the required visa

Currently though, there is no place to write the exam in Africa and many foreign doctors are even averse to practicing in Australia. The average Pakistani, Indian or Fillipino doctor wants to go to the US or Great Britain.. I'd even advise New Zealand over Australia, at least there are some successful Naija docs there.
[/color]

@Waliyllahi

Ohk. Thanks bro for d insight. Now im confused
sef. Now in final year...thinkin of what next to do.
perhaps wil jst go abroad for a masters in
psychiatry and come bak for residency in naija.
.....all dese wahala wit foreign placements ehn
and d costs arent smilin as well....thinkin if i will
be able to afford such.
thanks all d way
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Waliyllahi(m): 8:40am On Oct 01, 2015
Pzone:
Chief sir. Av u left naija or still in sokoto...read ds in a thread somtims ago
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by trendphemmy(m): 9:43am On Oct 01, 2015
RedCapChief:

[/color]

@Waliyllahi

thanks for d enlightenment, scoring high in both step 1 and step 2 in usmle give u a great position to get residency irrespective of nationality? cos some people said dey aren't gettimg cos of citizenship permit and all, pls throw more light on dis
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by aghr(m): 9:51am On Oct 01, 2015
Connect with freelancers in Nigeria today and get those grueling assignments, tasks and projects off your table. Our freelancers would bring you quality and professional service to save you time and stress of completing daunting tasks to meet up with your ever demanding schedules daily. Categories of jobs our freelancers can deliever include programming, copywriting, graphics design, webmasters etc
We respect your privacy and we are professionals who get job done ontime and perfectly.
Join us now C001E0B69
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 11:27am On Oct 01, 2015
a
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 11:30am On Oct 01, 2015
EggPlant:
I havent met any1 in Nigeria who took Swammy and plabtrainer course as you said for PLAB 1, people mostly, only do that for the OSCE (PLAB 2) & thats in London. The registration fee for PLAB 1 remains £155 and not £500, don't misinform people.

O boy dress well....who send u message
Mscheeew
Na u know wetin dey bite u.
For your mind, na everybody dey write PLAB 1 from Nigeria, abi?
I repeat, Swammy/plabright and samson classes increase your chances of passing the PLAB exams faster and quicker at less cost finally.

PLAB Fees Effective until 31 March 2015 Effective from 1 April 2015
Part 1 of the PLAB test £145 £155
Part 2 of the PLAB test £430 £465
Request for clerical check of results for the PLAB test £40 £45

As i said hold £500 for tuition for swammy/plabright or samson.
The cost varies from if u want to do 1 week prep to 6 weeks prep.
Either way, they are useful.

when u pass, if u require a place for clinical attachment in the U.K, contact me.
And if you require an organization to employ you via tier 2 in lieu of NHS, contact me.

This one no be 419 matter, been there, done that...
Chikena
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 11:42am On Oct 01, 2015
centje:
That's harsh and unnecessary. He did no wrong by expressing what he felt about the thread.

look i had a resit in final year,...when my mates were worrying about where to do internship. I had to worry about passing, not where i'd do house job. The fact is that medical career is in phases. He said he's in 100 or 200 level. No be person wey get motor go dey find mechanic...Anyway, it's okay...like i said...no offense, just an objective opinion.

6 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 11:43am On Oct 01, 2015
There is also the south african option....
Some people do emergency medicine masters degree in south africa, get extended stay as well as write the south african exams...

For me, i advice any young Nigerian doctor to leave Nigeria. Full stop

But u need to be focused for these exams.-USMLE/PLAB/canadian/australian exams
Also have some significant back up funds just in case.
I have seen smart people fail these exams and i have also seen average students in medical school scale through at 1st attempts
Good luck and happy independence day
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 11:50am On Oct 01, 2015
angiography:

tell me what the problem really is!
I don't think it's wrong if i fancy some info being given out here. Your position as a doctor is not under threat by my being here, i assume.

Just tell me why a 'lawyer' (or other professional), not to talk of a medical student, cannot come here to source info!...

Guy, don't mind that clown called eggplant.
People like him na ITK- I Too Know
Those are the kind of Nigerians you often meet abroad who fly solo and are not interested in helping other young upcoming Nigerians.
In fact they will snub you and horde information for themselves.
Meanwhile the indians and pakis share information and continue to succeed and move ahead.
Don't mind the chap jare.
Nobody has a monopoly over knowledge or information.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by angiography(m): 12:37pm On Oct 01, 2015
gmyguy:
Anyway, it's okay...like i said...no offense, just an OBJECTIVE opinion.
#subjective.

But it's all fine...i perfectly understand your point.

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 1:33pm On Oct 01, 2015
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 1:47pm On Oct 01, 2015
I wonder what kind of doctor you are. I will not engage in a battle of words with you. In all my posts, I communicated my opinion without resorting to insults, but you tend to derive some gratification from calling me a clown. That to me might be an indication of a deeper problem which is totally unrelated to my posts. Lets learn to be civil folks.
rugged7:

O boy dress well....who send u message
Mscheeew
Na u know wetin dey bite u.
For your mind, na everybody dey write PLAB 1 from Nigeria, abi?
I repeat, Swammy/plabright and samson classes increase your chances of passing the PLAB exams faster and quicker at less cost finally.

PLAB Fees Effective until 31 March 2015 Effective from 1 April 2015
Part 1 of the PLAB test £145 £155
Part 2 of the PLAB test £430 £465
Request for clerical check of results for the PLAB test £40 £45

As i said hold £500 for tuition for swammy/plabright or samson.
The cost varies from if u want to do 1 week prep to 6 weeks prep.
Either way, they are useful.

when u pass, if u require a place for clinical attachment in the U.K, contact me.
And if you require an organization to employ you via tier 2 in lieu of NHS, contact me.

This one no be 419 matter, been there, done that...
Chikena

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (67) (Reply)

Salary In The Nigerian Army? / Any HSE Professionals In The House? / How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.