Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,097 members, 7,807,290 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:56 AM

Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! - Career (40) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! (335763 Views)

Nurses Forum: Let's Meet Here / Medical Doctors In Residency Programmes In Nigeria / More Than 5000 Nigeria-trained Medical Doctors Practise In Us’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (67) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 11:43am On Jun 10, 2016
taiwosal:
Hello, pls anybody with materials for primaries in family medicine. Want to write sept/oct exam. Any tips will also be appreciated.

Pls can we connect pls. I also want to write family medicine.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by taiwosal: 11:56am On Jun 10, 2016
guymanDspecies:

Pls can we connect pls. I also want to write family medicine.
U can whatapp me on 08070542511
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by nnanyel: 8:10pm On Jun 11, 2016
hanbie:

The usmle has 3 steps, 1,2ck,2cs and 3. To get into residency you need to pass 1 and 2. You can write 3 while in residency.
Two processes are involved. Getting the materials and registering for the exam. Step 1 covers basic sciences, pathology, psychiatry. For the step 1, most imgs use kaplan to form a solid foundation then proceed to the UFAP method close to the exam. However, if your basics is good or you are pressed for time, kaplan notes and videos can be time consuming(up to 3 months). There's the so called UFAP method more popular with us graduates. It stands for uworld, first aid and pathoma. Some imgs have done it this way and have scored high but it means you have to know these materials front to back. U world is a question bank with over 2000 questions. U world is bought online, a 3 months subscription cost about 219$, pathoma is about 100$ From the pathoma website which includes the book and video( this book is indispensable). First aid 2016 could be gotten for 30$ upwards and kaplan notes about 7 books would cost about $110 for new or used ones from amazon. Consider shipping to Nigeria. I don't know what the cost to Nigeria is. People study for varied periods 4-6 months, some even a year. I nor fit do pass 4 months. The most important thing is reading the right materials. Some people read OP materials. Then there's an assessment exam online that kind of predicts your score, called nbme. It resembles the main exam and if you score high it most likely means you would do same in the main exam. If you score low, it means you need to read more.

The exam registration is explained on the ecfmg website. You pay 65$ for the certification, which could be compared to "acceptance" fee. The main exam is 880$ For step 1 only. you pay an extra surcharge of 150$ if you are writing outside the USA. It is after paying that you get a form called form 186 which you take to your school for signing. Your school would then send these documents to ecfmg, Bla Bla Bla. You would understand the process better on their site. This is just a summarized guide. I hope it helps. Join the usmle forums and search for any info and even study partners.
@Hanbie.....Thanks but I'd like to know if it's wise writing plab,moving to the uk and then going for the real thing which is the usmle as having enough funds would be one less thing to worry about....
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by nnanyel: 8:15pm On Jun 11, 2016
nnanyel:

@Hanbie.....Thanks but I'd like to know if it's wise writing plab,moving to the uk and then going for the real thing which is the usmle as having enough funds would be one less thing to worry about....
I went through what you put up and was able to find some of the books from torrent sites and other file sharing forums,for example I found pathoma,usmle first aid 2016,brs series,Goljan pathology and some others except the uworld stuff which I could only find old questions....2013/2014
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Opez4real: 11:29am On Jun 12, 2016
nnanyel:

I went through what you put up and was able to find some of the books from torrent sites and other file sharing forums,for example I found pathoma,usmle first aid 2016,brs series,Goljan pathology and some others except the uworld stuff which I could only find old questions....2013/2014

pls kindly share the link for the uworld 2013/2014, av been searching for it. thanks
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 1:52pm On Jun 12, 2016
Any medical student here schooling abroad especially Europe please come to my aid
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by MegMich(m): 11:27am On Jun 13, 2016
Any doctor here preparing for primaries in surgery? Anyone who has already written? Please, am looking for materials.....thanks
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by silentkingcobra(m): 2:30pm On Jun 13, 2016
Vacancy: A social enterprise based in Lagos is looking for a Female Optometrist not older than 28yrs. Qualified candidates should send their CV to info@veritasvision.org
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 11:14pm On Jun 13, 2016

5 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Tboiszwag(m): 3:01pm On Jun 14, 2016
ayfamoks:
Thanks everyone, i was eventually able to buy my KM at 5200 in ife
ok,pls which bookshop in ife
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 10:31am On Jun 17, 2016
Hello, any uniben medicine and surgery alumni please I'll love you to come to my aid..... Very urgently.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by loadux(f): 5:25pm On Jun 19, 2016
for those who need mat. for usmle go to Facebook and search for usmle forum there are some links to the current first aid which can be downloaded for free

you can use this link
http://usmle4you..ae/2016/02/first-aid-series-for-usmle.html?m=1
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by nnanyel: 2:30am On Jun 22, 2016
Opez4real:

pls kindly share the link for the uworld 2013/2014, av been searching for it. thanks
All you need to do is go to the torrent site"the piratebay" and type in usmle and stuff will appear.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 9:06am On Jun 22, 2016
reflx:
hello Docs!
who can really tell me the financial breakdown for Uk exams

visa application : N60,000

IELTS: N52,000

plab 1: N95,000 (230 bpd)

Plab 2 :N350,000 (840 bpd)

travel costs : N 250,000

revision course: N180,000

MISC : 200,000

accomodation: VARIABLE.

ESTIMATED TOTAL = APPROXIMATELY 1.2 million Naira!

please guys help me verify as i am about to begin this journey...
costs slightly more than this

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by MegMich(m): 9:45am On Jun 23, 2016
nnanyel:

All you need to do is go to the torrent site"the piratebay" and type in usmle and stuff will appear.

Hallo!!!
Guten morgen!
Can you pls explain or rather send a direct link
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by MegMich(m): 9:47am On Jun 23, 2016
reflx:
hello Docs!

I'm also about embarking on this journey! Can I send you a mail? We could possibly share some ideas.

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by tg4all(m): 9:59pm On Jun 23, 2016
Hello my chiefs. I'm a fresh medical graduate in delta state. I'm in search of a good private hospital with accommodation, where I can acquire skills plus some pay. I'll really appreciate any useful response. God bless y'all. Thanks.

I can be reached on 07086787923.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Opez4real: 10:13am On Jun 24, 2016
rugged7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKD6mGgqMYM

@rugged7. pls what are the implications of Brexit as regards other nationals outside EU in terms of immigration and work visas esp developing countries like naija
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 12:02pm On Jun 24, 2016
A million dollar question bro.
A million dollar question....
In the short to medium term, it could probably make more work available for african doctor migrants in the U,K.
Because the eastern europeans will need to get visas, write IELTS,PLAB etc
However, in the long term, british economy could tank because it needs the vast market of the EU.
Very hazy right now. Not much clarity

Opez4real:

@rugged7. pls what are the implications of Brexit as regards other nationals outside EU in terms of immigration and work visas esp developing countries like naija

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by DocGeekster: 10:40am On Jun 25, 2016
Opez4real:

How long is a piece of string? Tough question to answer. @ Rugged has posted very valid points there. I was definately pro Brexit ( so fed up with substandard EU docs getting in to the uk to practice without issue-trained a few of those characters also! Whilst I had to suffer through Plab with my friends eons ago).
Currently there is mass panic ( people have forgotten the uk existed prior to and without the financial draining machine that is the EU).
Mid term (whenever they finally decide to enforce article 50), it will be a struggle trying to restructure various systems. I am not convinced they will pull out completely ( might be a bit like Norway-european free trade zone etc). There are jitters amongst others like the Dutch and zee Germans (who else will shoulder the financial burden in the succubus that is the EU!)
Long term it will mean easier trading with other international countries and hopefully fairer access for doctors from Nigeria.
Again, this is still extremely uncertain which is why I have started developing a business strategy in Nigeria. If the Independent republic of England eventually decide to ship my black tukus out, at least I'll have alternative sources of income elsewhere grin

3 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by cchaop: 12:50pm On Jun 27, 2016
doctors in the house.I hail you guyz. kindly connect a locum job for your pal on 07051210066. specific location Lagos. hope to hear asap from you. happy day.all d best oooo.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by reflx(m): 9:26pm On Jun 27, 2016
MegMich:

I'm also about embarking on this journey! Can I send you a mail? We could possibly share some ideas.
Anytime... best wishes
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by bisiswag(f): 3:42am On Jul 02, 2016
richiejaggs:
Hello, any uniben medicine and surgery alumni please I'll love you to come to my aid..... Very urgently.
Yup so how can we be of help?
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Ogflex: 5:02am On Jul 02, 2016
reflx:
hello Docs!

pls WhatsApp me on 07034198793 as I am about to embark on this journey too.. Thanks.. Let's share ideas..

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Ogflex: 5:21am On Jul 02, 2016
veleta:
@Olitz,a friend of mine who has passed plab2 and has even signed contract for job in UK told me that he was informed that his Ielts must be valid as at the time of resuming work in UK unfortunately,that was after he had written ukvi Ielts for tier 2 visa and he had 6.5 in one of the modules,he would be writing another Ielts this month.
In my opinion,many people have issues with writing module not because they are not good but this BC are biased.
I had an ugly experience with them,I prepared very well for Ielts and had the ff scores:L8.5S8R7W6.5.I queried my writing score so,I applied for remark but meanwhile I took ukvi Ielts and had the ff scores:L8.5S7R7.5W7.After 8 weeks,I got my remark and writing was upgraded to 7.
@ rugged man,keep up the good work
pls what is the difference between ukvi Ielts and Ielts..preparing for my academic Ielts..
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by DocGeekster: 10:45am On Jul 02, 2016
Ogflex:
pls what is the difference between ukvi Ielts and Ielts..preparing for my academic Ielts..

http://takeielts.britishcouncil.org/ielts-ukvi

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by veleta: 7:57pm On Jul 02, 2016
@Docgeekster,you need Ukvi Ielts for tier 2 visa (migration purpose) and can equally use it for Plab,in other words,you are using one stone to kill two birds.
Instead of writing Ielts academic and writing ukvi Ielts again when you want to migrate,you just write Ukvi Ielts academic module as it will serve dual purpose.
However,Ukvi Ielts is slightly more expensive than academic Ielts and it can only be taken in Lagos or Abuja.

1 Like

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by puntmaniac: 1:16pm On Jul 07, 2016
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jul 07, 2016
Pls am a doc around ughelli in delta state. I'm in need of a place to cover many thanks.
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by rugged7(m): 4:46pm On Jul 07, 2016
University of Ibadan teaching hospital in 1959

Nigeria has really deteriorated... undecided

SMH

2 Likes

Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by DrBookie(f): 9:17am On Jul 08, 2016
Good am house;please is anyone aware of a medical NGO that I can volounteer with for some time.Lagos mainland is preferable.Thanks
Re: Medical Doctors' Forum: Let Us Know You! by AbiLFO: 12:25pm On Jul 09, 2016
@DrBookie Try fhi360

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (37) (38) (39) (40) (41) (42) (43) ... (67) (Reply)

Salary In The Nigerian Army? / Any HSE Professionals In The House? / How Much Is Level 8/2 Based On New Salary Structure?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.