Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,275 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:44 AM

Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? (10216 Views)

Ghanaian King, Céphas Bansah Rules Via Skype From Germany, Builds Jail For Women / Chief Prostrates To Beg Alaafin Of Oyo For Giving Fake Title To US Citizen.PICS / He is offended by my way of greeting - advice needed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 4:39pm On Sep 20, 2015
Back in the 80s, there was mass exodus of the Ghanaian's in Nigeria as the Nigerian Government of the time wanted them out of Nigeria. The bag majority of them used in packing their things became called 'Ghana Must Go' and the name has stuck with the bag ever since then. I was just wondering if Ghanaian's are offended by this, as it is a constant reminder of how Nigerians chased Ghanaian's out of Nigeria.

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by cally3D(m): 4:42pm On Sep 20, 2015
Expecting a Nigeria - Ghana e-war!

5 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by adonbilivit: 4:46pm On Sep 20, 2015
we don't mean they should go any more, however, that name is here to stay! Ghanaians are always welcome in Nigeria, but, Ghana must go remains

2 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by Imortal001: 4:46pm On Sep 20, 2015
Stop remanding us of past event of the 197ty so!
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 4:54pm On Sep 20, 2015
Imortal001:
Stop remanding us of past event of the 197ty so!

That is like saying African Americans shouldn't get pissed when white Americans use the word 'Nigger.'
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by Wulfruna(f): 4:57pm On Sep 20, 2015
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by Sparkle777(f): 6:15pm On Sep 20, 2015
I think its not good. Even though we re used to it. But I heard they hav dia own naija must go bag too.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 6:25pm On Sep 20, 2015
Sparkle777:
I think its not good. Even though we re used to it. But I heard they hav dia own naija must go bag too.

Are you for real? lol!

2 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by JiggamanGh: 6:45pm On Sep 20, 2015
kay29000:
Back in the 80s, there was mass exodus of the Ghanaian's in Nigeria as the Nigerian Government of the time wanted them out of Nigeria. The bag majority of them used in packing their things became called 'Ghana Must Go' and the name has stuck with the bag ever since then. I was just wondering if Ghanaian's are offended by this, as it is a constant reminder of how Nigerians chased Ghanaian's out of Nigeria.

Is very offensive but Africans are very ignorant and uncivilized. Such name would not exist in a develop country

3 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 6:46pm On Sep 20, 2015
JiggamanGh:

Is very offensive but Africans are very ignorant and uncivilized. Such name would not exist in a develop country

Very true.

1 Like

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by JiggamanGh: 6:48pm On Sep 20, 2015
adonbilivit:
we don't mean they should go any more, however, that name is here to stay! Ghanaians are always welcome to Nigeria, but, Ghana must go remains

We don't really care, most Ghanaians don't really know the history behind the bags, but if you guys find it amusing and appropriate to use such name then by all means continue, especially since it's an embarrassing part of your country's history where they abused the rights of another human being.

1 Like

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by JiggamanGh: 6:49pm On Sep 20, 2015
Sparkle777:

No we don't have any naija must go.

3 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 6:57pm On Sep 20, 2015
JiggamanGh:

No we don't have any naija must go.

Thanks for clearing this up. And about Nigerians still using the term 'Ghana Must Go' for the bags, I don't think Nigerians even stop to think of where the term came from, or that it is actually demeaning...They just say it without really thinking of the effect it might have on another human being like them.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by JiggamanGh: 7:02pm On Sep 20, 2015
kay29000:

Thanks for clearing this up. And about Nigerians still using the term 'Ghana Must Go' for the bags, I don't think Nigerians even stop to think of where the term came from, or that it is actually demeaning...They just say it without really thinking of the effect it might have on another human being like them.

That's Africans, we talk about change every day but we aren't willing to evolve.

2 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2015
JiggamanGh:

That's Africans, we talk about change every day but we are willing to evolve.

Yea.
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by TRAPQUEEN1(f): 8:24pm On Sep 20, 2015
Jiggaman is right though. I always used to wonder what the term Ghana must go bag means and when I found out about the origin, I kinda thought it was a bit insensitive to continue to use such a name for a bag even till today. It is offensive to many Ghanaians.

But I hear you kay29000. I also think it's just something that is what it is, most people don't use the term in a derogatory way but have just become so used to calling the bag Ghana must go

2 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 8:32pm On Sep 20, 2015
TRAPQUEEN1:
Jiggaman is right though. I always used to wonder what the term Ghana must go bag means and when I found out about the origin, I kinda thought it was a bit insensitive to continue to use such a name for a bag even till today. It is offensive to many Ghanaians.

But I hear you kay29000. I also think it's just something that is what it is, most people don't use the term in a derogatory way but have just become so used to calling the bag Ghana must go

Yea.
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by buzzmania(m): 10:34pm On Sep 20, 2015
Its called checkcheck bag in Ghana.And trust me no one gives sh!t how it's called in nigeria.Such name is only held in high esteem by your fellow country men.
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by kay29000(m): 10:41pm On Sep 20, 2015
buzzmania:
Its called checkcheck bag in Ghana.And trust me no one gives sh!t how it's called in nigeria.Such name is only held in high esteem by your fellow country men.

Okay. Thanks for the comment.

1 Like

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by adonbilivit: 6:26am On Sep 21, 2015
JiggamanGh:

We don't really care, most Ghanaians don't really know the history behind the bags, but if you guys find it amusing and appropriate to use such name then by all means continue, especially since it's an embarrassing part of your country's history where they abused the rights of another human being.
we don't find it amusing. its just like every other product we buy in d market. we say it (Ghana must go) without Ghanaians in mind. Ghana is like a younger brother to Nigeria.
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by onila(f): 2:33pm On Sep 25, 2015
JiggamanGh:

In my secondary school, we were banned for calling it, Ghana must go
we were told to call the bag

check bag

2 Likes

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by iamord(m): 7:19pm On Sep 25, 2015
onila:
In my secondary school, we were banned for calling it, Ghana must go
we were told to call the bag

check bag
Interesting! Was it a missionary school?
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by onila(f): 8:02pm On Sep 25, 2015
iamord:
Interesting! Was it a missionary school?
not missionary but a strict Christian school

1 Like

Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by iamord(m): 12:59pm On Sep 26, 2015
onila:
not missionary but a strict Christian school
that's good to know. I attend Kings college. And it was far from that. Seems people call it unconsciously. But it burns down to proper morals
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by onila(f): 2:26pm On Sep 26, 2015
iamord:
that's good to know. I attend Kings college. And it was far from that. Seems people call it unconsciously. But it burns down to proper morals
Lagos is a city that breeds skanks

hate them
Re: Are Ghanaian's Offended By The Name 'Ghana Must Go' Giving to a Particular Bag? by iamord(m): 4:58pm On Sep 26, 2015
onila:
Lagos is a city that breeds skanks
hate them
that's true

(1) (Reply)

Promoting The Culture Board On The Frontpage / The Different Races In Africa / Igbo Women Don't Say "cha Cha Cha! Igbo Kwenu!""

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.