Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,033 members, 7,807,079 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:16 AM

Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission (170051 Views)

How To Get Nigerian Birth Certificate From National Population Commission? / Nigerian Birth Certificate Needed From The National Population Commission / National Population Commission (NPC) Birth/ Attestation Certificate Enquiries.. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by brutal(m): 8:17am On Apr 19, 2009
Plum70:

My husband and I got married in the UK and the Home Office inspected my passport (containing my date of birth) before granting a certificate of approval for marriage (which also bore my DOB).

I guess that the UK Home Office had no reason to doubt that my DOB was anything other than what was reflected in my passport. However, the Swiss embassy are more wary (and rightly so!) preferring to inspect the original document before registering foreign spouses in the Swiss family register.

So, just to clarify for the last time! - the birth certificate should bear my maiden name ONLY.

Many thanks.
i got it.d B.C. would be inspected back home at d swiss embassy in nigeria.it might take at least 3 to 4 months.i guess they have same law with germany.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 2:08pm On Apr 19, 2009
brutal:

i got it.d B.C. would be inspected back home at d swiss embassy in nigeria.it might take at least 3 to 4 months.i guess they have same law with germany.
Yes. However, the Swiss embassy in London has been considerate enough to say that should a 3rd party retrieve the BC, we can submit the certificate here in London and they would then liaise with the Swiss folks in Abuja for the authentication process. Time line is about 6 months actually.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by brutal(m): 4:18pm On Apr 19, 2009
Plum70:

Yes. However, the Swiss embassy in London has been considerate enough to say that should a 3rd party retrieve the BC, we can submit the certificate here in London and they would then liaise with the Swiss folks in Abuja for the authentication process. Time line is about 6 months actually.
                                                                                                                                                                                     It's not a situation of being considerate cos they don't expect u 2 travel back home because of a minor issue.if they actually want 2 prove that u r d one in ur B.C.,then i''ll advise u 2 give them egunje when they visit ur folks.usually is one(NAIJA) representative.take style, tell dem say na 4 transport. :'
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 6:36pm On Apr 20, 2009
brutal:

It's not a situation of being considerate cos they don't expect u 2 travel back home because of a minor issue.if they actually want 2 prove that u r d one in ur B.C.,then i''ll advise u 2 give them egunje when they visit ur folks.usually is one(NAIJA) representative.take style, tell dem say na 4 transport. :'
What
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by imperialco: 1:29pm On Apr 22, 2009
hey poster.i got caught by your post.

Indeed your problem seem huge it's entirely small i know the situation faced by incomplete documentation abroad and will be willing to be of help.i have got this done severall times for people without their physical presence and will be willing and can do it for you if you haven't by now found help on the site.

case you are interested leave me a short mail with details at goldhorizons@yahoo.com.

hope you find the much needed assist you desire.

take care
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by ChiBabe2(f): 9:19am On Apr 24, 2009
My husband was told by the National visa center here in california to get his birth certificate from Lagos Ministry of Health in Ikeja. They can give you the birth certificate,  or a certified letter stating why the doc is unavailable. then they stamp it to certify, but you need the affidavit as well, and you can get that there too. When he got there they told him it will cost N8,000-just to go look into the files and see if the certificate was available. I wonder if he could hav gone to NPC now. Also, he needed a police certificate that he was supposed to obtain somewhere in Ikoyi. They bribed him since they knew its for visa purposes, so im starting to wonder how much these things cost now. you can tip them to sped the process, but they shouldnt be asking for large fees for this stuff.  undecided
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 7:20pm On Apr 24, 2009
Chi*Babe:

My husband was told by the National visa center here in california to get his birth certificate from Lagos Ministry of Health in Ikeja. They can give you the birth certificate,  or a certified letter stating why the doc is unavailable. then they stamp it to certify, but you need the affidavit as well, and you can get that there too. When he got there they told him it will cost N8,000-just to go look into the files and see if the certificate was available. I wonder if he could hav gone to NPC now. Also, he needed a police certificate that he was supposed to obtain somewhere in Ikoyi. They bribed him since they knew its for visa purposes, so im starting to wonder how much these things cost now. you can tip them to sped the process, but they shouldnt be asking for large fees for this stuff.  undecided 
Isn't that part of the frustration though? These services do not seem to have a fixed price and one is exploited for this reason. It's all about how much tipping you are prepared to do! Tiring!

Anyway, I will look into getting a member of my family to sort it out in due time. Where I can send/fax photocopies of my passport and marriage certificate, I would need to send original passport pictures. It seems ridiculous to have to pay £40 to DHL pictures (that cost £7.00) across to Nigeria! I'll look into this some other time.

Thanks everyone!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by darkroll(m): 2:39am On Apr 25, 2009
Plum70:

I would need to send original passport pictures. It seems ridiculous to have to pay £40 to DHL pictures (that cost £7.00) across to Nigeria! I'll look into this some other time.
Thanks everyone!

Scan and email pictures to your families in Nigeria , they can print it out on a photo paper with a photo printer (HITI, Epson, e.t.c) and will look just perfect .

1 Like

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Vladmir2: 6:08pm On May 02, 2009
I have a baptism card can it serve as a birth certificate?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by JayJayCee: 8:49am On Oct 16, 2009
Can anyone give me information on the location or offices of National Population Commission
in Lagos, is there any office in Ikoyi or V.I.
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by JayJayCee: 8:51am On Oct 16, 2009
Can anyone give me information on the location or offices of National Population Commission
in Lagos, is there any office in Ikoyi or V.I.

1 Like

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Oosisiogu: 8:33am On May 17, 2011
HELP!
Please I want to find out if the Nigerian Population Commission (NPC) has an online database where registered births can be accessed by any embassy?
I recently obtained a birth certificate from the NPC. I'm just curious however, to know how embassies or immigration authorities in asian countries (for instance) confirm the authenticity of NPC issued birth certificates.

It's a matter of importance to me,
Your opinions are highly welcomed.

Merci

1 Like

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by santa101: 1:46pm On Mar 05, 2012
This are the requirements for getting the birth cert from npc:

Affidavit from high court(photocopy and original) which could be done either parents,friends or close relatives.

2 passport pix of the owner

copy of either international passport,drivers license or national id of either the owner or the person applyin on behalf of the owner.

Application format(typed with Phone number)

Other Info

Owners name;
Date of birth:
Place of birth
Local govt of birth:

Fathers Name:
Town:
Local Govt Area:
State of origin:

Mothers Name:
Town:
Local Govt Area:
State of origin:

All these should be submitted at the nearest national population commision office, there is one at surulere beside rita lori hotels, The period of issue is between 1 week and maximum 2 weeks, This was confirmed by me, visited the office to make correct enquiries

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by amykelly: 5:14pm On Mar 05, 2012
i just had mine done and its an attestation of birth which they give now. it looks like a letter on a national population letter head
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by santa101: 11:51am On Mar 06, 2012
@ amykelly, how did you go about yours? and how long did it take u?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by amykelly: 12:15pm On Mar 06, 2012
it took one week. Also you will need to swear affidavits
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by santa101: 4:14pm On Mar 06, 2012
@ amykelly, please could u send me details as i am going to get the affidavit ready tommorow, u can send me an email at mixhael.craig@gmail.com, thanks
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by bulletG(m): 2:13pm On Jun 13, 2012
santa101: This are the requirements for getting the birth cert from npc:

Affidavit from high court(photocopy and original) which could be done either parents,friends or close relatives.

2 passport pix of the owner

copy of either international passport,drivers license or national id of either the owner or the person applyin on behalf of the owner.

Application format(typed with Phone number)

Other Info

Owners name;
Date of birth:
Place of birth
Local govt of birth:

Fathers Name:
Town:
Local Govt Area:
State of origin:

Mothers Name:
Town:
Local Govt Area:
State of origin:

All these should be submitted at the nearest national population commision office, there is one at surulere beside rita lori hotels, The period of issue is between 1 week and maximum 2 weeks, This was confirmed by me, visited the office to make correct enquiries

PLEASE, MY YOUNGER SIS WANTS TO DO FOR ME... AND SHE SAID SOMEONE TOLD HER SHE CANT because SHE IS YOUNGER THAN ME...THAT I NEED TO USE SOMEONE OLDER THAN ME...PLEASE HOW TRUE IS THIS...... WAIT FOR ANSWERS.....
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Pelumiv(m): 5:20pm On Jun 15, 2012
I will like to go to the NPC office next week, can someone describe how to get to their office from ikeja and how to get the application format.Thanks
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by kennyGGG(f): 10:17pm On Jul 28, 2012
Pelumiv: I will like to go to the NPC office next week, can someone describe how to get to their office from ikeja and how to get the application format.Thanks

Things aren't as difficult as some people make it seem. The NPC certificate once collected you don't need to take it anywhere to be stamped. Its your Attestation of birth. Regardless of where you are born or where your parents are from it can be obtained anywhere in Nigeria. You can have a relation or even a friend do it for you as long as they have your passport photographs (2) and a sworn affidavit of birth done by you or done on your behalf. At Babs Animasahun in Surulere Lagos it will cost you N3000 and will be collected after 72hrs.
Don't travel to nigeria because of NPC certificate. If you have people in Nigeria send them cash and they'll do it.
If anyone tells you anything other than what have told you, its story. I did mine in Lagos, was born in Delta and was accepted.

5 Likes

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by darejamesbond(f): 11:16am On Aug 01, 2012
Hi all, could anyone share with me about the idea of using a lawyer to handle document legalization in lagos with the italian embassy..no visa needed just to legalize the marriage cert, Birth cert, and the Police report...i need it and i am outside the country...any ideas or recommendation and if you have any reputable lawyer could you pls share with the house as well....cheers guys...
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Dhaivid3: 10:48pm On Sep 07, 2012
Hello Tats.

I know this topic is very old but I really hope my question is picked up as I really need some assistance - is it still necessary to stamp it at the embassy of the European country?

Thank you.

Kind regards
Dhaivid3
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 5:06pm On Dec 15, 2012
I am back again with one more question!

The first stage of the process is to swear to an affidavit of birth. Can a friend of mine in Lagos do this?

Thanks
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 9:30pm On Dec 15, 2012
Any takers?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by joie12(f): 1:52pm On Jan 09, 2013
Hello friends, pls how and where can one get a '' SISTERHOOD CERTIFICATE '' in Nigeria, its a certificate that shows that you have never been married before. I'm about to get married in Europe and they ask me for this certificate to justify that i have never been married before in my Country Nigeria. Thanks pls anyone who can help?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 7:54pm On Feb 01, 2013
I am in need of urgent clarification please:

In the absence of any family member to assist me in first obtaining an age affidavit from the Lagos High Court and then an attestation of birth from the NPC, can a good friend of mine in Lagos swear to an age affidavit on my behalf as well as obtain the NPC document for me?

I have known my friend since university days (over 12 years) but she is younger than I am.

Has anyone successfully had their friend obtain these two documents?

If this is possible then I will send her the photocopies of all the documents necessary - my passport biodata and residence doc. page, passport photos, details of my parents e.t.c. ANYTHING ELSE?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 9:31am On Feb 02, 2013
Can knowledgeable forum posters please assist?

This is URGENT.

Thx!
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by eduson002(m): 9:42am On Feb 02, 2013
Plum70: Can knowledgeable forum posters please assist?

This is URGENT.

Thx!
Its hard for ppl to comment.I cannot believe dat u, d originator of this thread has nt achieved ur aim since 2009.

3 Likes

Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 12:33pm On Feb 02, 2013
eduson002: Its hard for ppl to comment.I cannot believe dat u, d originator of this thread has nt achieved ur aim since 2009.
Well, believe it! Things do not always work out as thought or planned.

Can you make any useful comments besides unproductive observations?
Re: Obtaining A Birth Certificate From The National Population Commission by Plum70: 10:56pm On Feb 02, 2013
Still waiting for your help folks.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

DV LOTTERY 2014 Preparations / List Of Poorest And Richest Country In The World 2013!!! / Diversity Visa Immigrant? Welcome To America

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.