Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,294 members, 7,808,001 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:13 AM

Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria (3829 Views)

How Is The Interview Process For Ernst & Young Graduate Trainee Program? / Quitting My Lucrative Job For A Degree In Canada / Oyo Sacks 662 Workers; Removes 2,021 From Payroll (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by AjanleKoko: 8:56am On Sep 21, 2015

Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria As There's 'No Evidence' University Equals Success
The Huffington Post UK | By Lucy Sherriff

Ernst & Young, one of the UK's biggest graduate recruiters, has announced it will be removing the degree classification from its entry criteria, saying there is "no evidence" success at university correlates with achievement in later life.

The accountancy firm is scrapping its policy of requiring a 2:1 and the equivalent of three B grades at A-level in order to open opportunities for talented individuals "regardless of their background".

Maggie Stilwell, EY’s managing partner for talent, said the company would use online assessments to judge the potential of applicants.

"Academic qualifications will still be taken into account and indeed remain an important consideration when assessing candidates as a whole, but will no longer act as a barrier to getting a foot in the door," she said.

"Our own internal research of over 400 graduates found that screening students based on academic performance alone was too blunt an approach to recruitment.

"It found no evidence to conclude that previous success in higher education correlated with future success in subsequent professional qualifications undertaken."

The company offers 200 graduate-level jobs each year, making it the fifth largest recruiter of graduates in the UK. The changes will come into force in 2016.

Earlier this year, PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC) scrapped using UCAS points as entry criteria for its graduate scheme. The audit firm believes placing too much emphasis on the scores will mean employers may miss out on key talent from disadvantaged backgrounds, who can perform less well at school.

A report published last week revealed wealthy kids are 35% more likely to become high earners than clever, disadvantaged young people, even if they are not academically gifted.

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/04/ernst-and-young-removes-degree-classification-entry-criteria_n_7932590.html

3 Likes

Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by nikkygal(f): 11:17am On Sep 21, 2015
Interesting development.

I read this online yesterday and was pleasantly surprised. Honestly, i think it's a double-edged sword. On one hand it will provide a level playing field for everyone.

However, hope it doesn't leave a bad taste in the mouth of the genuine 1st class & 2.1 graduates who could feel short-changed after going through the rigour of coming out with good grades & now having to compete seriously with lower rung candidates.

Anyway, having said all of that, from my experience as as a a professional accountant too who 's been there in a Big 4 Firm, I'll say just make your experience count by quickly acing your ACCA/ICAN exams and do all you can to gather the requisite experience in the first few years and make your mark early. This is to give you that extra edge outside the Professional practice industry, when you want to get out to catch bigger fish smiley

cc: Lalasticlala
Obinoscopy
Seun

3 Likes

Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by blank(f): 12:28pm On Sep 21, 2015
@ Nikkygal,

I don't think they are removing degrees totally as an entry requirement. They seem to be saying that they don't care if you made a 2'1, 2'2 or third class as long as you can prove yourself in the recruitment process. They seem to be hiring only graduates.

1 Like

Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by nikkygal(f): 3:00pm On Sep 21, 2015
blank:
@ Nikkygal,

I don't think they are removing degrees totally as an entry requirement. They seem to be saying that they don't care if you made a 2'1, 2'2 or third class as long as you can prove yourself in the recruitment process. They seem to hiring only graduates.

Okay, thanks for that. Let me modify my post then.

Nonetheless though, it will make recruitment more 'interesting' in that space....lol! There'll definitely be quite a few surprises springing up from this.
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by Nobody: 12:15am On Sep 28, 2015
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by Sagamite(m): 5:04pm On Oct 01, 2015
AjanleKoko:

Source: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/04/ernst-and-young-removes-degree-classification-entry-criteria_n_7932590.html

Not only EY.

PwC too has removed minimum A-Level scores for assessing candidates.

Deloitte has removed university attended in assessing candidates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34384668

Many are moving to the more reasoned, but also more tedious, process of assessing stored potential rather than achieved potential (which is susceptible to privilege).

I have always stated on NL that degree class is not evidence of high intellect. It is just a correlation and a possible sign of interest in that particular field.

https://www.nairaland.com/754330/second-class-lower-graduates-still/8#9126584

Someone getting a 1st class in International Development is not necessarily a better candidate for a position in an accounting firm than another getting a 2:2 in Philosophy.

Secondly, people develop their intelllect at difference phases.

Even Obama was not really that smart until his late 20s. So it does not make sense to judge ability and potential based on results that are dependent on development in teenage to early 20 years to understand potential of success in the future.

I am a strong advocate of testing real raw IQ, EQ, VQ and RQ of job candidates.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by kaycodes: 7:30am On Oct 02, 2015
Sagamite:

Not only EY.

PwC too has removed minimum A-Level scores for assessing candidates.

Deloitte has removed university attended in assessing candidates.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34384668

Many are moving to the more reasoned, but also more tedious, process of assessing stored potential rather than achieved potential (which is susceptible to privilege).

I have always stated on NL that degree class is not evidence of high intellect. It is just a correlation and a possible sign of interest in that particular field.

https://www.nairaland.com/754330/second-class-lower-graduates-still/8#9126584

Someone getting a 1st class in International Development is not necessarily a better candidate for a position in an accounting firm than another getting a 2:2 in Philosophy.

Secondly, people develop their intelllect at difference phases.

Even Obama was not really that smart until his late 20s. So it does not make sense to judge ability and potential based on results that are dependent on development in teenage to early 20 years to understand potential of success in the future.

I am a strong advocate of testing real raw IQ, EQ, VQ and RQ of job candidates.

I believe this is already being practised within the IT sector.

Skills based testing should always be used over certificate based recruitment, because at the end of the day, it's really about what you can do, and a certificate can't really guarantee that.

1 Like

Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by Kookny(m): 4:41pm On Apr 25, 2016
Just seeing this now. I don't know how to feel.
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by Tolakay: 9:04pm On Apr 25, 2016
Kookny:
Just seeing this now. I don't know how to feel.
4get dat thing..it hasn't bin effected in 9ja
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by ERCROSS(m): 12:11am On Apr 30, 2017
[quote author=AjanleKoko post=38224258]

Good day sir. I sent u a personal message few days ago but you haven't replied. I went through your topics and posts, and I am convinced you will make a good role model. Can I get to know you better sir. I am a physics undergrad.
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by Ishilove: 9:22am On Sep 21, 2017
Makes perfect sense.
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by Nobody: 11:44am On Sep 21, 2017
the next ernst and young test will be WAR.
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by isalegan2: 6:02pm On Sep 21, 2017
oyb:

where is sefago cheesy grin
Sefago disappeared after agreeing to meet with fstranger! I'm not lying. Look for the thread. tongue

Even still, where is Sagamite? Mo ro wipe UK "ejire" ti mu bobo yen. grin

Oh! And the scholar and a gentleman himself. The Agege mutt that chaces tigers; the OP of this thread. Where's he? cheesy

Live long and prosper. Ire o! smiley
Re: Ernst & Young Removes Degree Classification From Entry Criteria by ruffneck(m): 6:18pm On Sep 21, 2017
toh....make dem remove age limit too

(1) (Reply)

Most Sought After Job In Canada; Forklift Operator! / Total Oil And Gas Test / Help With Eleme Petrochemical (indorama) Contact Number

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.