Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,238 members, 7,807,804 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 07:31 PM

Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? (5459 Views)

Photo Of A Man Staring At His Newborn Baby / Nigerian Female Soldier Cradling Her Newborn Baby (Photos) / 7 Tips To Help First-time Parents Prepare Financially For A Newborn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Sijo01(f): 1:04pm On Sep 22, 2015
It's a good thing to believe and live your life according to the Bible BUT this must be done to the fullness.

If you're against piecing of ears because you believe it's a mark of slavery according to the Bible, hope you're also observing other things the Bible kick against? Worthy of note is"'Thou shall not' kpekus' outside wedlock"!

Don't forget piecing of ears is one major thing you can use to different a male from female, most especially if the female is tomboyish in nature.

Whatever you do, do it to the fullness and not like an hypocrite!

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Onegai(f): 1:06pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Absolutely great! I'll copy that line in quote, cheesy

Don't just copy, pay me for it. Abeg appreciate me financially bros tongue grin

3 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 1:22pm On Sep 22, 2015
Nah it's not and for whatever reason I won't do such for my pikins in future.

I don't look how small babies with earrings look it's ridiculous and uncomfortable to me

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by yetseyi(f): 1:25pm On Sep 22, 2015
No its not compulsory,you can decide not to pierce. I dont think I will pierce my baby's ear.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by tpiander: 1:40pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:
I believe in taking actions for justifiable reasons, but it appears no one is ready to compromise.

Being a Christian, I try as much as possible to relate family matters with the Bible (after all, the history of marriage/family is traceable to the book of genesis).

Here is the issue, my lady wants her daughter(s) ear lobes pierced. On the other hand, I see the act of ear lobe piercing as 'slavery'. The reason is clear, the only reference to piercing the ears in the Bible was when a person gave himself or herself to be a life-long slave to a master (Deuteronomy 15:16,17). This is symbolic enough for me to reject such on my daughter.

Besides, I see no reason why I should join the bandwagon or subject an infant to such pain; ear piercing does not make a girl a GIRL.

What if she grows to hate the idea of earrings/piercing? I believe she's free to pierce when she's old enough to take decisions.

Should a lovely/committed relationship end based on this disagreement? She wants this for her daughters, but I don't need them on our daughters. Am I too strict or old-fashioned? Should I change an idea I've harboured for over 15yrs?

What do you want us to do for you?

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Idowuogbo(f): 1:47pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Your mom has tangible reasons. However, I don't think 3 piercing is rebellious. We are quick to call those with pierced nose prostit.utes while those with pierced earlobes 'saints'

Idowuogbo got 2 at birth, but went ahead to drill more.

Nothing wrong in exploring angry angry angry Funny enough,I hardly wear earrings nowadays.Can't be bothered.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Stillfire: 1:52pm On Sep 22, 2015
I don't know of any girl who prefers her ears not pierced. A life of not wearing earrings? shocked grin
She is more than likely to prefer her ears pierced. Babies are usually given very threatening injections that can traumatize the most strong of us, an ear piercing is a walk in the park. grin

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 2:02pm On Sep 22, 2015
Acidosis:

Nobody is a slave, bro. What you read is an history of earlobe piercing in the Bible. Many do not know the origin of such & similar practices.

Ok then. Thanks for the enlightenment, I guess undecided

I'm a she, thanks

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Pidggin(f): 7:18pm On Sep 22, 2015
I can't imagine my baby girl without gold stud earrings on. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it

@OP, i think you are a bit old school as regards this issue, nothing wrong with a bit of pain. If your baby gets sick and needs to be injected you will let her have it won't you? No child has died from getting her ears pierced yet, your child won't be the first. Please relax o

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by whitemosquito(f): 8:38pm On Sep 22, 2015
It's interesting this discussion should come up..

I'd already decided not to pierce my lil girl's ears. Not because of any religious reasons, but simply because I firmly believe in letting the child choose for herself.
Iv a couple of friends whose parents did not Pierce their ears and interestingly, they too, upon reaching adulthood, decided to leave their ears unpierced. Nothing to do with religion Or even fashion.

For the same reasons, Iv also decided not to perm my lil girls hair. I've come to realize that we do a lot of things in this country with the 'norm', no specific reason, no logic behind it, just Cos everyone else is doing it. Makes no sense to me.

Personally, I've two piercings on each ear, only one of Which was by my choice, so I don't think anyone can say I have anything against earrings. It just seems logical to me to let the child decide what she wants. Why should I take an irrevocable decision for someone else, my seed Or not?

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by yetseyi(f): 9:09pm On Sep 22, 2015
whitemosquito:
I've come to realize that we do a lot of things in this country with the 'norm', no specific reason, no logic behind it, just Cos everyone else is doing it. Makes no sense to me.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by janefrancisca(f): 10:45pm On Sep 22, 2015
For me, if u are seeing it from the pain aspect, i will advice you to allow the piercing when she is still a baby than when she has grown up. this is cos she won't really feel the pain that much as a baby than when she is already grown. I had my ears pierced from birth but i wanted to open another one because the old one was getting bigger. I had to meet a friend to pierce, it was so painful and i couldn't even maintain it , u have to rub it vaseline every time and the earring must be in your ear till the hole is kind of okay. bottom line is the holes closed and i ididn't bother opening it again because of the pain. am still using the one i had from birth. So please just keep religious sentiments and allow her ears to be pierced...u saving her future pain. I have so many female friends that didn't have their ears pierced from birth but they later pierced it. Most if not all girls love wearing earrings.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by cococandy(f): 10:54pm On Sep 22, 2015
It's not mandatory.
It's just one of those social aspects of conformity that many of us adhere to for no particular reason.
Except that we think it looks good.
There's no particular benefit to it. Health, social, spiritual or otherwise.
You're also right she can choose for herself when she grows up but both you and your lady need to agree now. Find a middle ground.
Or choose one ear each like freecocoa said grin

As for me, I'll give my daughter two on each ear. She's free to add more when she grows up grin

I was even upset with my mom for giving me only one on each ear and I had to endure the pain of getting another pair later in life.
It wasn't funny because I can't stand pain.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by montezz(f): 11:55pm On Sep 22, 2015
i dnt agree with d op. in yorubaland,it is not mandatory to pierce ur lil gal's earlobe but it is neccesary because it makes d female child looks different from d male child. it also makes her look more beautiful. dy pierce a newborn at a very tender stage cos dy bliv dt z d most appropriate child to do so knwin fully well dt she cant feel as much pain at dat stage as she'll feel if done when she gets older(same with newlyborn male circumcision).

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by SonOfEl(m): 12:24am On Sep 23, 2015
pls OP, don't pierce it. I understand your line of thought perfectly. forget what some NL folks are saying, trying to make you look stupid or unrefined for not wanting to pierce it.

body piercing includes the nose, ears, lips, tongue, navel, nippl*s, and some other areas. that of the ears has been the most popular

if you don't want it for your daughter, PLS DONT DO IT. let your daughter decide for herself when she grows up.

I know some lady friends who don't have pierced ears, but they look stunning with their natural make up. they are trendy and fashionable, but their body is free from piercings.

if I have a daughter, I won't pierce ANY part of her body. that decision is up to her when she grows up.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 5:07am On Sep 23, 2015
My girl is receiving two holes on each at same time. cool cool
I no plan to born more than one girl. embarassed embarassed
If i born two girls like me, I go die before my time cry

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 6:03am On Sep 23, 2015
I was having this conversation with my Igbo friend and he said it can be part of cultural reasons. lipsrsealed

I on the other hand think it to do with vanity, why else pierce a baby infant ears? I tend to think of the pain it might cause, and at that age, they are more prone to catch infections, if you don't keep applying the antiseptic etc.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by thelish(f): 7:02am On Sep 23, 2015
MarvellousGod:
if she grows and doesn't like it, she can stop wearing rings on it and gradually the piercing will close... For now, the parents have every right to do what they feel is best for their daughter, the daughter is in their care totally. ..
Why do you send your kids to school? Why don't you wait till they're old enough to decide whether they wish to attend school or not? undecided .. why do you wear them shoe? Why not wait for them to decide whether they want sandals, slippers or shoes? undecided .. why give your baby pap when she may prefer custard in the future? undecided

As for the slavery talk, so all women that have ear piercings don turn slaves abi?

Abeg allow your wife take decision as regards that afterall she would be the one with the baby 80% of the time.. if not 100% sef undecided

U are always on point.

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 12:14pm On Oct 16, 2015
Onegai, I love your input. Send me your bank details please. cool
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Nobody: 12:40pm On Oct 16, 2015
Adanna28:
I was having this conversation with my Igbo friend and he said it can be part of cultural reasons. lipsrsealed

I on the other hand think it to do with vanity, why else pierce a baby infant ears? I tend to think of the pain it might cause, and at that age, they are more prone to catch infections, if you don't keep applying the antiseptic etc.

It doesn't pain them as much as you think. Their ear lobes are so soft that even a broom stick can go through.

If you don't want your child to go through pain, then consider not circumcising your son... that one na real pain. grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Onegai(f): 2:01pm On Oct 16, 2015
iAmCharis:
Onegai, I love your input. Send me your bank details please. cool

Errrrmmmm..... OKAY THANKS!! grin
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by Deejavuu(f): 10:29pm On Oct 16, 2015
EggovinMma:
My girl is receiving two holes on each at same time. cool cool
I no plan to born more than one girl. embarassed embarassed
If i born two girls like me, I go die before my time cry

Lool. like mama like pikin shey wink

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by LordReed(m): 4:37am On Oct 17, 2015
Acidosis:

Nobody is a slave, bro. What you read is an history of earlobe piercing in the Bible. Many do not know the origin of such & similar practices.

You are funny. Read Ezekiel 16 and tell us why God will use earrings to describe how He beautified Isreal.
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by soopamom: 8:46am On Oct 17, 2015
Acidosis:
I believe in taking actions for justifiable reasons, but it appears no one is ready to compromise.

Being a Christian, I try as much as possible to relate family matters with the Bible (after all, the history of marriage/family is traceable to the book of genesis).

Here is the issue, my lady wants her daughter(s) ear lobes pierced. On the other hand, I see the act of ear lobe piercing as 'slavery'. The reason is clear, the only reference to piercing the ears in the Bible was when a person gave himself or herself to be a life-long slave to a master (Deuteronomy 15:16,17). This is symbolic enough for me to reject such on my daughter.

Besides, I see no reason why I should join the bandwagon or subject an infant to such pain; ear piercing does not make a girl a GIRL.

What if she grows to hate the idea of earrings/piercing? I believe she's free to pierce when she's old enough to take decisions.

Should a lovely/committed relationship end based on this disagreement? She wants this for her daughters, but I don't need them on our daughters. Am I too strict or old-fashioned? Should I change an idea I've harboured for over 15yrs?
No you shouldn't, there's absolutely no medical or otherwise logical reason for piercing a baby's ear. She should respect that you don't want to inflict uneccesary pain on your daughters but out of curiosity, where do you stand on circumcision?

1 Like

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by God2man(m): 2:43pm On Oct 17, 2015
NO!
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by SAMBARRY: 2:49pm On Oct 17, 2015
Acidosis:

She's free to use her accessories naw sad I just don't like the piercing
answer this question very fast because that is what will determine whether I'll go ahead with this conversation with you or not

are you cac
deeper life
seven day adventist
mountain of fire

member? Is your decision not to pierce her ears based on religious or personal ideals?
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by SAMBARRY: 2:51pm On Oct 17, 2015
soopamom:

No you shouldn't, there's absolutely no medical or otherwise logical reason for piercing a baby's ear. She should respect that you don't want to inflict uneccesary pain on your daughters but out of curiosity, where do you stand on circumcision?
thank you o
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by SAMBARRY: 2:53pm On Oct 17, 2015
Wura has 2ear holes and I wear only one stud in her 2ears and she didn't die of pain so what exactly is your point @ op
Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by SAMBARRY: 2:56pm On Oct 17, 2015
Acidosis:

smh
I don't have issues with earrings but the hole in the earlobe of an infant. When she's grown enough to know whether to use earrings, she can go ahead to drill the ear.
o puleeeassseee

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by SAMBARRY: 2:58pm On Oct 17, 2015
Kachisbarbie:

It doesn't pain them as much as you think. Their ear lobes are so soft that even a broom stick can go through.

If you don't want your child to go through pain, then consider not circumcising your son... that one na real pain. grin
exactly

Re: Is It Mandatory To Pierce The Ear Lobes Of A Newborn Girl? by SAMBARRY: 3:03pm On Oct 17, 2015
LordReed:

You are funny. Read Ezekiel 16 and tell us why God will use earrings to describe how He beautified Isreal.
gbam

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who Holds The Tv Remote Control In Your House / Please HELP, How do I recover my money / Happy International Women's Day 2022

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.