Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,037 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:06 AM

Opinion - Nigerian Universities Have A Crucial Role To Play In Work Conditions - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Opinion - Nigerian Universities Have A Crucial Role To Play In Work Conditions (477 Views)

Our Universities Have The Capacity To Train The Best, But.... - Stanbicibtc GM / Dana Pharmaceutical Workers In Minna Protest Over Poor Working Conditions (Pics) / 5 Biggest Mistakes You’re Making In Work Relationships (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Opinion - Nigerian Universities Have A Crucial Role To Play In Work Conditions by INDESTRUCTABLEX(m): 3:10pm On Sep 22, 2015
A typical Nigerian graduate is chicken hearted. Time and time again, I have seen job seekers and employees trampled upon all in the guise of searching for jobs, or if I leave my position, someone else will gladly fill it. As true as this may sound, it is not right.

So why am I blaming our universities?
1. Lecturers are made to appear as gods - It is common to hear students say things like - "abeg, I no want that man trouble o", "shey you won get extra year, in?" and so on. Ideally, when a lecturer says something, a student has the right to refuse. But that's not the case in most universities.

The after effect is a chickenhearted graduate.

2. Lecturers make teaching you appear as a favour - Yes, they may be doing you a favour but you are also doing them a favour. They will be no lecturers if there were no students, and vice versa.
It is common to get threats like I will not come to your class or see a lecturer miss a period, doesn't apologize, and then fixes a makeup class at an inappropriate time. Of course some students will attend.

Come to the workplace and employers make it appear as though they are doing an individual a favour by offering him a job. This is just ridiculous.
A prospective employee should be able to state his demand without being ridiculed.

3. Students are to blame - Yes, you are to blame. On many occasions we agree on a thing and some moles will go behind us to betray us.

Is this not happening in the workplace? People trying to buy cheap favours and attempting to outsmart others. Rubbish.

Move down to NYSC and you'll see the same trend. At the long run, we have graduates who are under the impression that the employer is ultimate, their colleagues are the competition. And par adventure, they make it to the top, they continue the cycle.

Disclaimer: This is absolutely my opinion and is subject to criticisms and modifications.

Regards,
X.

(1) (Reply)

NEW Job Titles. / Airport Safety, FAAN Gets Nod To Employ 720 New Staff / Looking For A Well Paid Job In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 29
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.