Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,289 members, 7,807,979 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:02 AM

Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission - Car Talk (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission (61567 Views)

Land Rover Is Rebuilding 1970s Range Rovers For The Wealthy (photos) / In Need Of U241E(10 pin) u250e(13 pin) u40e, a541e(5pin)used gear / 07 Camry Gear 13 Pin (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by kingreign(m): 10:16pm On Mar 12, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

what do you think the culprit is? Me I suspect 13pin winch
Me too
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Kashif(m): 8:18am On Mar 13, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

what do you think the culprit is? Me I suspect 13pin winch

Dirt picked by the replacement shaft(s), or dirt around seal finding its way into transmission.

If you are very careful to ensure a clean procedure, there shouldn't be a problem. Whenever I work on these, I always have a pack of disposable napkins around.
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:40am On Mar 13, 2017
Kashif:

Dirt picked by the replacement shaft(s), or dirt around seal finding its way into transmission.

If you are very careful to ensure a clean procedure, there shouldn't be a problem. Whenever I work on these, I always have a pack of disposable napkins around.

same here, never had that issue working on the 13pin, after the exterior wash, then we get down to washing the CV head with a toothbrush and a needle, if you see the ceremony it is not funny at all.

The scary part is when you buy a toks gear, I seldom buy a 13pin gearbox if it is still not evidently still attached to the engine, and the shaft cups still inside the gear. They are extremely careless in the market.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Nobody: 10:21am On Mar 13, 2017
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by shotuns: 5:28am On Apr 19, 2017
My ogas at the top, I need your help, advice on my car transmission.
I recently changed both engine and transmission on my 2002 dodge durango, reason being that oil change period is more than required. Bought a wrong fliter from Ladipupo through a friend, i noticed this during the oil change so therefore unable get another but to use the old filter, the mechanic changed the oil and return back the oid filter. The same day after the oil change , I noticed the transmission won't engage in D. We left the car running up to about 40 minutes and tried again, then it engaged D including all shifters.
The car left the shop and went straight home, on the way home it started making this noise but we couldnt figure out why. On the seond day to the church and came back still same noise. Then decided to check the oil level and do a simple check then noticed that filter screw head has broken off. and some oil dripping down on the floor where it was parked, It is either the mechanic tighten the filter to hard or wrongly, I cant really say but since then series of problem have started. My brother find a means to get another srew head and retighted the filter and added some oil, The car was test driven again and no noise was heard this time, all gears shifts was okay and smooth.
2 days later , about to drive the car out, the dash board showed all shifter lights PRDN12 on at the same time, it move on d but wont reverse, I immediately contacted Mr Gazzuz and he gave me a simple diagnose to look for the P/N switch, clean, salvage both connectors well and try it again.Thanks to Mr Gazzuz. We search everywhere for the switch, located one at the base of the transmission, pulled it out and turn on the car , only 'R' light came on this time. We cleaned the switch inside out and plug it back in but still all lights on, I was guessing it isnt the actuall switch. And till now I havent located any other switch, I've searched online to the best of my knowledge, still dont know exactly where it is.
Then again the worst of it all , i started smelling burnt gear oil, this realy scared me and dont know what to do. I tried finding a mechanic to help scan, till today couldnt find any in the whole of Abeokuta. I am tired.. Please GURU in the house. what should i do?
Mr Gazzuz . I am still waiitng for your response. Thanks guys.
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by ironheart(m): 1:19pm On Apr 20, 2017
Hello kashif, been following your thread for a while and i feel proud to know you have been quite diligent with this.

I took my car to Apo mechanic village Abuja for some job to be done, its a 1999 toyota corona manual gear box. When the job was done, out of curiosity, i ask the mechanic to drain the oil from the gear box and i was surprised about 5 table spoon of oil came out.

Lucky me you can say. The mechanic said i should tke it to some to fill it up for me, when i got there, he was not around and out of curiosity, i asked his boiz what type of oil they use. He said grease mixed with transmission fluid.

My brother i weak. Now my question. Whats the rationale behind that mix? I know grease does not transmit or take away heat very well.

I need the experts to discuss this.

Cc gazzuzz, kingreign, honmusa, cardoctor
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:38pm On Apr 20, 2017
ironheart:
Hello kashif, been following your thread for a while and i feel proud to know you have been quite diligent with this.

I took my car to Apo mechanic village Abuja for some job to be done, its a 1999 toyota corona manual gear box. When the job was done, out of curiosity, i ask the mechanic to drain the oil from the gear box and i was surprised about 5 table spoon of oil came out.

Lucky me you can say. The mechanic said i should tke it to some to fill it up for me, when i got there, he was not around and out of curiosity, i asked his boiz what type of oil they use. He said grease mixed with transmission fluid.

My brother i weak. Now my question. Whats the rationale behind that mix? I know grease does not transmit or take away heat very well.

Is your transmission automatic or manual?
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by ironheart(m): 12:33pm On Apr 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Is your transmission automatic or manual?
manual
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:47pm On Apr 21, 2017
ironheart:
manual

Your problem simple nah, just manual transmission oil 75w90 available in any spate part store.

1 Like

Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by ironheart(m): 5:03pm On Apr 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

Your problem simple nah, just manual transmission oil 75w90 available in any spate part store.
my point is, why do u think they mix grease with ATF before adding to a manual transmission
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by GAZZUZZ(m): 5:18pm On Apr 21, 2017
ironheart:
my point is, why do u think they mix grease with ATF before adding to a manual transmission

because the car owners allow them wink
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by ironheart(m): 5:28pm On Apr 21, 2017
GAZZUZZ:

because the car owners allow them wink
ok
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Kashif(m): 9:31am On Apr 26, 2017
ironheart:

They mix grease and atf to 'achieve' the fluid viscosity recommended. grin
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by ironheart(m): 12:49pm On Apr 26, 2017
Kashif:

They mix grease and atf to 'achieve' the fluid viscosity recommended. grin
but dont you think it will damage the transmission?
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by obekediamondfuto(m): 10:47pm On Apr 26, 2017
obviously not, the 75w90 Gazuzz recommended is in actuality melted grease with some additives to preserve it in that condition.
think of it as custard, well prepared one. with a little of sugar added.

lolz dose days wen we used manual.....no single gear box issue....highest na clutch plate. why did we have to start lazing about tryna make life easier y
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by KoffiDis: 4:23pm On May 03, 2017
Hello, I have a 2003 Toyota Camry V6. It has a 1MZ-2FE engine and the gear is bad. First it started with giving a loud thumping sound when decelerating. I have taken it around for over 3 years to various mechanics with no solution. Recently the car became very sluggish and does not pick up smartly. In addition it doesn't seem to go past the 2nd or 3rd gear. I went to Ladipo and those guys said I need a new gear box! The 13pin that comes with the car is very expensive and they offered to convert to a 10pin. I'm scared about what the outcome would be. How does the rebuild sound and what are the cost implications. I'd be happy to answer any questions that would help diagnose the issue and provide solution. I don't have money for another car yet. Please help. Thanks
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Kashif(m): 12:07pm On May 04, 2017
KoffiDis:
Hello, I have a 2003 Toyota Camry V6. It has a 1MZ-2FE engine and the gear is bad. First it started with giving a loud thumping sound when decelerating. I have taken it around for over 3 years to various mechanics with no solution. Recently the car became very sluggish and does not pick up smartly. In addition it doesn't seem to go past the 2nd or 3rd gear. I went to Ladipo and those guys said I need a new gear box! The 13pin that comes with the car is very expensive and they offered to convert to a 10pin. I'm scared about what the outcome would be. How does the rebuild sound and what are the cost implications. I'd be happy to answer any questions that would help diagnose the issue and provide solution. I don't have money for another car yet. Please help. Thanks

Have you scanned the car? There are many problems external to the transmission that can cripple it. First, determine what error codes you have, and see what the computer is commanding.

I am not a fan of using wrong transmissions; it can get you killed!
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by KoffiDis: 2:29pm On May 04, 2017
[quote author=Kashif post=56198213]

Have you scanned the car? There are many problems external to the transmission that can cripple it. First, determine what error codes you have, and see what the computer is commanding.

I am not a fan of using wrong transmissions; it can get you killed![/quote

Thanks @ Kashif. Yea, I scanned the car, the error codes I got had to do with something misfire and after I replaced one of the coils ,it cleared. Of course, I don't mind a second opinion. How can I get to your workshop?
]
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Hugoboi(m): 7:34pm On Jun 13, 2017
Hello Kashif. I need to speak with you. Could you mail your number to elenwoke@gmail.com. it's urgent
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jun 24, 2017
Kashif:
Below is the picture of the upper valves. It is important to lay them out as they are brought out. Mix them up at your peril tongue They all must be out for cleaning, and also allow access to clean and inspect their bores. Mine was dirty! I noticed my transmission 'expert' retentioning two springs he could access - bad practice!

Sorry, no picture of the lower valves. That is where the primary pressure regulator valve resides. I missed to mark the OEM pressure setting cry has to be figured out. Anyways, the upper valvebody has more than twice the number of valves in the lower valvebody.

Sir, An 06 lexus Es330 with acceleration hesitation (this only happens in first gear randomly and can't be replicated always) issues threw up these two codes 'P2716' and 'P0778' repeatedly after being erased thrice'. The transmission in question is this same 'U151E' unit. After researching on multiple sources from Lexus/Toyota Message Boards...it seems a faulty 'SLT' solenoid is the culprit in this case. I have seen the location of this particular solenoid in online diagrams and it doesn't seem to be particularly tough to access. Will the removal process necessitate the removal of the Valve Body? I am particularly wary of allowing the mechanic remove this particular part. Is it possible to simply remove/replace that particular solenoid without dropping the entire valve body assembly? Apart from this issue, the transmission is in a near excellent state, the transmission sump was dropped and filter was replaced, and the transmission fluid was drained and refilled with 'Toyota Type T-iv', I need ur perspective on this sir.
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by ochado: 9:50am On Aug 08, 2017
Hey Kashif, I have issues with my sienna 08 tranny. When acceleration gets to gear 3, it stalls and decelerates. Computer scan indicates that control solenoid B is the issue. After fixing it, it complained of control solenoid A. What is the likely solution?

Would be glad if you can pm me your phone number so that we can discuss.
My contact is 08034137378
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Kashif(m): 8:16am On Aug 12, 2017
ochado:
Hey Kashif, I have issues with my sienna 08 tranny. When acceleration gets to gear 3, it stalls and decelerates. Computer scan indicates that control solenoid B is the issue. After fixing it, it complained of control solenoid A. What is the likely solution?

Would be glad if you can pm me your phone number so that we can discuss.
My contact is 08034137378

I dont understand what you mean by stalling. The engine dies? Auto transmissions do one of the following in a range - engage and stay, irrespective of load; flare (act as if in nuetral); slip (drive but with noticeable mobility loss); bind (act as if the brakes are applied). Which of the following applies?

Toyota's solenoid performance codes are not reliable. Don't change your solenoid when you see these codes, as they are the culprit only 40% of the time, or less. They are just ratio codes. When the TCM commands a shift, it is looking for a change in RPM. If this does not happen (because the shift did not occur), the solenoid performance code for the solenoid involved in the shift is set.

Problem could be stuck valve(s), solenoid, worn holding member or leaking circuit.

What was the fix for the solenoid B?
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by ochado: 4:50am On Aug 14, 2017
Kashif:

I dont understand what you mean by stalling. The engine dies? Auto transmissions do one of the following in a range - engage and stay, irrespective of load; flare (act as if in nuetral); slip (drive but with noticeable mobility loss); bind (act as if the brakes are applied). Which of the following applies?

Toyota's solenoid performance codes are not reliable. Don't change your solenoid when you see these codes, as they are the culprit only 40% of the time, or less. They are just ratio codes. When the TCM commands a shift, it is looking for a change in RPM. If this does not happen (because the shift did not occur), the solenoid performance code for the solenoid involved in the shift is set.

Problem could be stuck valve(s), solenoid, worn holding member or leaking circuit.

What was the fix for the solenoid B?

Based on your explanation it flares(or slips) when it's about to enter gear 3 or 4, that is when on express road. After flaring, it picks up again from the first gear repeats the circle. The valve was removed and checked to see if it was stuck, after then it was washed with fuel and replaced back. When replaced, it complained of solenoid A even though it was not tampered with. I think the problem is with the valve body which I believe you can fix.
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Adewax(m): 7:36am On Nov 23, 2017
I had my 2005 Toyota sienna accidentally hit something on the road almost 2 months ago in the evening and got sump leaked. mechanic waited till following day to loose the sump, repaired, fixed but mistakingly replaced the oil with Dextron 3 as against T4. Though it initially worked well for two days but noticed oil was leaking from the left side under the vehicle and could not climb just a small hill. I took it to my main mechanic said it was oil pump that was leaking and that caused gear not to select well. He changed the oil pump by removing the engine because he said did not want to tamper with the transmission and changed the oil to T4 but the result was still the same. I returned to his workshop but had another problem almost getting there with shaft got broken. Now, he changed the oi pump, cleaned the oil filter, change the spider of the shaft and fill with T4. Vehicle moved well at first for about 3mins of test drive before it went back to former then to the worst of having only reverse functioning but no movement in drive.
In summary: reverse - Yes, drive - no.
Please what is the solution and how can you be of help. 08038094109
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Adewax(m): 2:29pm On Dec 16, 2017
Please I need your number to further connect with you. Urgently
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by kwallet: 12:50pm On Mar 20, 2018
ochado:

Based on your explanation it flares(or slips) when it's about to enter gear 3 or 4, that is when on express road. After flaring, it picks up again from the first gear repeats the circle. The valve was removed and checked to see if it was stuck, after then it was washed with fuel and replaced back. When replaced, it complained of solenoid A even though it was not tampered with. I think the problem is with the valve body which I believe you can fix.
Kashif, pls I need ur contact. Here is mine:07083236264
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by issa94(m): 12:19am On May 02, 2018
so kashif did you overcome 2 3 flare by cleaning the sl2 solenoid
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by osarodon(m): 6:32pm On Nov 18, 2019
You just too much bro

Kashif:
Before I conclude, let me say that I was forced to undertake this quickly because my transmission was beginning to fail.

The problem degenerated from 2-3 flare to sluggish 1st.

Then there was 3-2 clunk

Then came binding in 2nd, which was very severe when cold. Once 2nd is commanded, it would be as if the brakes were being applied fully and released in quick succession. To reduce that, I would need to let the vehicle get warm, and then perform garage shift. sad sad. Nothing wears a friction faster than a bind.

Then finally lost 1st and 2nd gears. The vehicle will start in 3rd, even though the computer always commanded it properly. It would also not respond correctly to scan tool commands. Then I knew I had to do something quickly before I would be forced to drop the transmission, to attend to clutches burnt beyond use.

One more thing - I found my filter seal broken. Replaced with a new one.

In summary, I repaired the valve body; major additional work being on the solenoids. A lot happened in working on the solenoids, but I chose to leave it out so I can close this endeavour with this post. If anybody has a question, ask.

Put the valve body back, cleared adapts, warmed it up, performed garage shift, and took it for a test. It went straight through all the gears with silk shifts, to my pleasant surprise! I had expected it to start relearning. I have driven a bad transmission for so long I am yet to get used to a working one. grin grin grin grin

So brethren, I have overcome the notorious '13 pin'!

CC: Marpol
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by abdulmumeen1: 10:33pm On Jan 09, 2021
@Kashif, I am pulling out a valve body on my customer transmission but i need to know where you order those part and how quick can i get them.
Kashif:
Once again, I pulled out my other valve body that failed woefully. By the time I was returning the vehicle to my mechanic to remove the failed valve body that January, the transmission was severely acting up - banging on engagement, flaring, binding etc.

On tearing this guy apart, what I saw in the lower VB was shocking! shocked Most of the valves were sticking. The clutch application control valve was married to the bore. The 4-5 valve was so sticking it took 30 minutes of very meticulous picking to get it out! Only the primary pressure regulator valve was free. It was not that bad when I worked on it earlier.

Surprisingly, all the upper VB valves were free! Well, that points to one thing - the filter failed to do its job somehow! That is where the fluid gets to first, before going 'upstairs'.

This time, I was fully prepared for any dirts hiding anywhere. After pulling out the valves, the cleaning commenced. Valves' cleaning, bore cleaning using power tool, and clearing everything with compressed air.

Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Milosval: 4:27am On Feb 06, 2021
My 13 pin gear box binds ( do as if brake is applied) and do not downshift. It is stuck in gear 3, 4 and 5. Pls help
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Dozieson(m): 7:31am On May 21, 2021
Milosval:
My 13 pin gear box binds ( do as if brake is applied) and do not downshift. It is stuck in gear 3, 4 and 5. Pls help
Even when brake is applied?
Re: Rebuilding My '13 Pin' (toyota U151E) Transmission by Brainiac2025: 12:31pm On Sep 25, 2021
Hello kashif and bosses in the house
I went to change my faulty CV joints because my car was vibrating when accelerating , it was done successfully. After 2days I notice my car will stop engaging once I climb pump on the road, so I’ll need to shift the gear back to park then shift it back to drive before it engage again, it did this for like 4times before I get home.
Eventually it stopped for some days without experiencing the issue anymore. Last week Thursday I took the car from Lagos going to Ibadan, unfortunately after getting to Ibadan toll-gate my car suddenly remove itself from gear while speeding, I had to park and started calling my mechanic to know what’s actually wrong with the car.

While the car stopped engaging forward, it worked perfectly with reverse, so my mechanic ask me to let it cool down, I had to wait for like 30min for it to cool down, after 30min the car works fine again.

On Friday I embark to my destination which is IWo town, the car didn’t give me any sign of the usual problem till I come back to Lagos, unfortunately when I entered my street, the problem start again.

My car model is Toyota Camry 2005
13pin transmission 4cylinder

Note* we didn’t remove the CV joint while hot, it was parked in the evening and the CV joint was remove the following day.

Please I need your advice on what might be goin wrong with the transmission

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Parking Lot At The American University Of Dubai! (Pictures) / InnosonMotors CEO Drives Foreign SUVs But Wants Us To Buy His Cars / Tesla Car With Hilarious Number Plate In Lagos TRENDING, IVM JOINED

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.