Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,884 members, 7,802,853 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) (21475 Views)

Despite 'N74M' Allocation, Students Sit On The Floor To Take Classes In Kaduna / Akwa Ibom Primary School Pupils Squeeze & Lie On The Floor To Write Exams (pics) / SS2 Students Sitting On Bare Floor To Write Exams In Sokoto State (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Islie: 5:27pm On Sep 22, 2015
*Delta lawmaker, Izeze laments shocking findings in constituency
*No healthcare, electricity, access roads to 17 riverside villages
*Abandoned projects everywhere in 27 upland communities; Coastal erosion submerges settlement
*Pupils sit on bare floor to learn at schools in riverine communities

By Emma Amaize
UGHELLI — MEMBER of the Delta State House of Assembly representing Ughelli South Constituency, Hon Reuben Izeze, is bewildered that Primary School pupils at Omosuomo and Ekameta, two riverside communities in his area, still sit on bare floor to study without desks.

Hon Izeze, who undertook a tour of the communities to appraise their needs, said what he observed during the visit staggered him.
My devastating experience
He said, “From what I saw in the course of my tour of the 69 communities that make up my constituency, I can confirm to you that Ughelli South is indeed one of the most backward local government areas in Delta state in terms of infrastructural development.”

His words, “My most traumatizing experience was when I saw kids learning in classrooms with no desks and sitting on bare floor at Omosuomo and Ekameta communities, I wept.” “About 17 communities (Ewu) are riverine with no access roads, electricity or healthcare facilities. 27 other communities in the upland area (Ughievwen) are littered with abandoned/uncompleted road projects and poor education facilities,” he asserted.

Hon Izeze added, “Also at Otitiri/Iwhre-Ogun, a part of the community had been completely submerged by coastal erosion and clearly, it has gone extinct.” He bemoaned: “To get to some of the riverside Ewu communities in my constituency, which is Ughelli South, you have to pass other local government areas, Burutu and Bomadi, this is irritating as it is burdensome to my people.”

“I also found that there are major communities in the Jeremi area that are not accessible during the rains because of lack of roads and bridges. This is besides the decay in infrastructure and dearth of personnel in the basic education sector,” he further lamented.

Laughable facilities
The lawmaker said there was lack of primary health providers in most of the communities he visited and inadequacy of equipment and staff in the few existing Primary Health Centres, PHCS, pointing out that only one inadequately equipped and staffed General Hospital cannot serve the entire constituency.

He said that practically all the existing water schemes in the local government were not functional, while government have not connected the riverside communities, also threatened by coastal erosion, to the national grid.

Compendium of findings
The worried Hon Izeze, however, said, “We have been able to prepare a compendium of all our findings and gotten experts to cost the challenges we identified. It is our intention to present this to the present government of the state with a view to getting these issues addressed as the finances of the state improve.”

“Also we intend to reach out to other states and federal intervention agencies with some of these challenges in our bid to use a multi-dimensional approach to solving the developmental needs of our people. “Non-governmental Organizations, NGOS and private sector operators will also not be left out as we seek to address these litanies of challenges as we believe that government alone cannot do it all,” he asserted.

Premeditated goals
He said that part of our strategic objectives is to effectively connect all communities in the local government to the national grid by 2019, provide 16 transformers for 13 communities, complete ongoing electricity projects in Gbaregolor and extension to five other communities, as well as provide approximately 350 solar streetlights in 23 communities.

Izeze is advocating provision of equipment for the 30 existing primary health care centres in the local government, upgrade of general hospital, Otu-Jeremi; back-up of Ewu cottage hospital to a general hospital; rehabilitation of Oginibo PHC; completion/equipping of four PHCS; new cottage hospitals at Ovwor and Ofrukama; and floating hospitals to serve the riverine communities.
He also said the existing water schemes in 29 communities across the local government should be rehabilitated, new water schemes provided in three communities, as well as rehabilitation and equipping of 17 existing primary schools in the constituency.

His list of requests also include establishment of four new secondary schools, Technical College at Agbon, construction and equipping of DESOMATEC campus at Gbaregolor, tertiary institution in the area, construction of foreshore walls and embankment in five communities, dredging of two major rivers, construction of culverts in four communities among others.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/09/pupils-still-sit-on-bare-floor-to-learn-at-schools-in-delta/

lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Tallesty1(m): 5:32pm On Sep 22, 2015
I weep for my country

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by adonbilivit: 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
I sat on the floor too back in primary school but this has to stop. Buhari should look into this ASAP.

in other news, I must hammer coz my kids can't and, by God's grace, will never have to go through this. I wish your children the same, but you must start hustling now don't just wish

17 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Seunaj05(m): 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
What is the essence of sitting right on the oil reserves when you can not afford a chair?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Adesiji77: 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
urhoboman, kikilove.... lipsrsealed
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Flashh: 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
Seunaj05:
V
Virgin "kuchikuchi" J'odie. undecided

15 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by mcfynest(m): 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
wink
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Nobody: 6:14pm On Sep 22, 2015
wow... Nice improvement from Uduaghan and Ibori ... This phosphorous Phiscu habiscu ... adding an odoriferous pupilsku clearing in manasamial study-Henrnomus

1 Like

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by jerryunit48: 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
Nawao! Even with the oil
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by keffekul(f): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
only God can judge dose stupid leaders
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Warldbest(m): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by mrkels(m): 6:15pm On Sep 22, 2015
Tell that to Okowa .

All they do is stuff dollars in envelops and share it around .

I see nothing going on in the state .

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by bqlekan(m): 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2015
Who is the governor of this state? Or should I ask, which party governs this state?
Change or Transformation? cos non seem to be working here undecided

3 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by obinnajr(m): 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2015
JUST NEGODU UWA

5 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Ebenezerk2: 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2015
With all these allocations that go to oil producing states, it is a pity

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Eeser: 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2015
Oya Wailers, what you got to say

6 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by yomalex(m): 6:16pm On Sep 22, 2015
What a pity
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by agrovick(m): 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
Woza! I guess we are lucky in my school then even though we don't have anything that looks remotely close to a laboratory and some parts of the classrooms' ceilings look like they are going to cave in at any moment. I just shake my head everytime I enter the school premises; oil community with substandard facilities.
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by deadZONE: 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
Its better than sitting under a tree to learn.

like we see in the NORTH.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by crispberry(f): 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
Not only in Delta

3 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Dega128(m): 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
So where the oil money they na.. undecided
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by 3rdlegxxx(m): 6:17pm On Sep 22, 2015
in 2015 people are still suffering like this and the Governors, chancellors and chairman of this areas are all collecting money on the guise of working, we really need accountability and a serious policy to monitor public office holders

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by ritababe(f): 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2015
delta state for that matter, na wa oh and militant dey enjoy there with oil money

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by arimahoseloka(m): 6:18pm On Sep 22, 2015
Our leaders deserve death. Am really ashamed

3 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by francizy(m): 6:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
This is terrible men. I noticed one normal trend in Nigerian state governance. Even governors that seems to be working Miracles only concentrate on the state capitals while leaving other parts of the states to rot.

Nigeria is surely a failed entity..

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by ayodiya: 6:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by seedorfg(m): 6:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
federal government, GEJ, uduaghan, asaro dokubo and tampbolo are to be blame

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by Nobody: 6:19pm On Sep 22, 2015
Dega128:
So where the oil money they na.. undecided
Inside Tompolo and co belle

3 Likes

Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by seedorfg(m): 6:21pm On Sep 22, 2015
Oil rich state kwa, tell me more about the oil poor state jawe
Re: Pupils Still Sit On Bare Floor To Learn At Schools In Delta (photo) by viktagorion: 6:21pm On Sep 22, 2015
Very sad.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: 19 Interesting Facts You Should Know About The Year / Ramano: You Ask Why University Of Ilorin Was Rated First 1st In Nigeria. / Nigerian New Jersey Teen Gets Accepted By All 8 Ivy League Schools

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.