Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,964 members, 7,806,787 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:08 AM

What Career Track Are You On? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / What Career Track Are You On? (14731 Views)

Poll: What Track Would You Say You Have Been On?

General Track: 100% (1 vote)
Fast Track: 0% (0 votes)
Personal Track: 0% (0 votes)
This poll has ended

What Career Path Should He Follow?? / What Career Jobs Can One Get As A Science Laboratory Tech Graduate (SSLT & ISLT) / What Career Would You Choose Next Time? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Wallie(m): 4:10pm On Apr 27, 2010
In my first career, my career track spanned the definitions of the general-fast-personal track. I got on the fast track purely out of recognition of my capabilities and not through some “unjust” means. I believe I was on the fast track because I got very good assignments, which are usually harder; however, that allowed me to showcase my abilities.

But promotion at my company was merit based in comparison with everybody else within the division. At the beginning of the year, each person had to set out their objectives for the year; based on the complexity of the objectives and whether the goals were met, merits were determined. The question then becomes, “what happens if you were only given sh*tty assignments like pushing paper?” Hence, my believe that I was on the fast track.

Notwithstanding the promotions and relative security, the fast track wasn’t fast enough for me and I switched careers.

In my second career, I think I’m on the general-personal track. I believe I’m on the personal track because I’ve always been in control of my career and I’m an entrepreneur at heart. I also don’t believe in resting on one’s laurels because even when you think you’re seating comfortably, there’s someone else seating higher than you (and I’m not necessarily talking about money).

My personal track drive has never really been about money but more about measuring up against people better* than me as of today; money is just a by-product of being good at what you do.

Definition
Better – if given the same opportunity as the person on top, can I achieve what they’ve achieved? Think about people like Page, Zuckerburg, Jobs, Dangote, Otedola, Ibrahim, YarAdua, Jonathan, Bankole, Akunyili etc.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by AjanleKoko: 9:58am On Apr 28, 2010
@Wallie,

I would still term your 'fast track' as the general track. In some organizations, the General Track works to some extent; i.e. you do get recognition and merit promotions based solely on performance.
Fast track, by my definition, is from Zero to Hero in the shortest possible time, defying all rational logic.
Story is told of a chap in Unilever Nigeria who joined the company as a management trainee. Two years later, he was made a Group Manager, a head of department. Another two years, he became a director in a Unilever Operation in Eastern Europe, and two years later, he became a member of the board of Unilever in Nigeria. Later went on to become a CEO of Unilever in East Africa somewhere. Now, is that rational?
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by cecegorz(m): 10:37am On Apr 28, 2010
@Wallie

For real your experience is in no way a fast track. May be i'll say it should be called an IDEAL TRACK, because that is what organizations are supposed to be in Utopia. That is proper recognition and reward for excellent service.

@AJ
you really mean from mgt. Trainee to Group manager what did he know?
How do you explain that? Is the guy the only grandson of the lever brothers' only grand daughter? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Men that one is beyong fast track, man. It should be a Lightning track.  grin grin grin
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by delampy(f): 11:53am On Apr 28, 2010
@ Ajanlekoko,
ur poser is very true and very touching. Most human beings irrespective of where in the world are in the general track. I have read in the Bible and several books that the personal track is where we should be at.
I had been in the general track for close to 8 years and some bad happenings in my workplace had given me the impetus to consciously pursue the personal track .But you know, the challenges are so so tough,only the bravest survive.
Survive I will!!
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by AjanleKoko: 12:43pm On Apr 28, 2010
cecegorz:

@AJ
you really mean from mgt. Trainee to Group manager what did he know?
How do you explain that? Is the guy the only grandson of the lever brothers' only grand daughter? shocked shocked shocked shocked

Men that one is beyong fast track, man. It should be a Lightning track.  grin grin grin

You can say that again. However, it's a true story.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by leighcon(m): 6:10pm On Jul 12, 2010
AjanleKoko:

@Wallie,

I would still term your 'fast track' as the general track. In some organizations, the General Track works to some extent; i.e. you do get recognition and merit promotions based solely on performance.
Fast track, by my definition, is from Zero to Hero in the shortest possible time, defying all rational logic.
Story is told of a chap in Unilever Nigeria who joined the company as a management trainee. Two years later, he was made a Group Manager, a head of department. Another two years, he became a director in a Unilever Operation in Eastern Europe, and two years later, he became a member of the board of Unilever in Nigeria. Later went on to become a CEO of Unilever in East Africa somewhere. Now, is that rational?

Aj,
If the above is the story of the very tall huge Ibo man that was a top shot in a telecom firm then it is very true and correct. I think his charisma helped, I worked under him before
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Bawss1(m): 6:13pm On Nov 25, 2010
bump
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Katsumoto: 1:04am On Nov 27, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Of course, it's just a theory. After observing career patterns for years, I came up with those loose definitions. I'm sure organizational psychologists have much fancier definitions than mine.

As per your comments on the General Track, well, you may choose the field, but the job actually chooses you. Hence my reference to 'any available job'. Just like I would have loved to start my career working for Ericsson or Motorola, in some kind of R&grin capacity (baba nla wishful thinking grin). Instead, I had to settle for the closest available I could get. You understand what I'm saying?

The fast track is never of your doing. In fact, if you've been on the fast track, don't deceive yourself, you definitely got 'unjust' help. Promotion is not only based on intellectual achievement, but more of true leadership qualities, which have little or nothing to do with how book-smart you are.

There are a few theories to describe the differences between the 'personal track' and the 'general track' and these are Goal-setting theory, Job characteristics model, Herzberg's two factor model, Maslow's Theory of needs, and the McClelland Theory. Basically, they are covered under Motivation theories. Organisational Behaviourists do not generally cover 'fast track' as this is referred to as nepotism or cronyism. grin However, if you have a mentor/coach in an organisation, you can rise quickly.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by cashful(m): 8:10am On Nov 28, 2010
80% general track 20 % personal track
but the corruption aspect of the general track doesnt hold most times
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by firestar(f): 9:21pm On Jul 02, 2011
More Personal than of the General Track. undecided
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by AjanleKoko: 10:34am On Jul 25, 2012
cashful: 80% general track 20 % personal track
but the corruption aspect of the general track doesnt hold most times

Not everybody on the General Track succumbs to corruption. However, the modern world is materialistic and financially demanding.
Many people on the General Track will find it easy to convince themselves that they have the right to be corrupt, since the organization isn't 'looking out for them'. People still hold the same views and expectations about jobs and career, despite the world having changed, manufacturing having moved to Asia. And therein lies the problem.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Mustay(m): 5:54pm On Jul 29, 2012
Because of some certain conditions the OP has put, it's only the Personal Track iCan confidently say iBelong to. There's however a part of the 'Fast Track', I'd better refer to as networking though. wink
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Johnjoseph(m): 4:08am On Aug 04, 2012
Football
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by yommy2sure(m): 2:50pm On Aug 05, 2012
Great thread as usual. I just love this section.
I believe that the skills acquired in schools as much as are suppose to make one develop some career plans and fit into the personal track also prepares one for usefulness in some 'generic job' as a preferred career option. My point is in as much as one would like to be in the personal track the opportunities for such may be hard to come by hence fitting into the generic class with the personal mind set is not bad....I think. And then the 'fast track' seems more like underserved and some product of nepotism or biased favourtism.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by AjanleKoko: 4:49pm On Oct 14, 2014
I thought to bring back this topic wink

Would be nice to hear what has changed in people's perspective. For me, nothing has really changed. Since I wrote this, I've read a few books about organizational behaviour, but I found them to be laborious and full of heavy scientific language.

I would say that I've been able now have a 40-60 ratio (General vs Personal track). I.e. I have been able to take definite steps towards personal goals, with good results, but I still work in an organization. Interestingly, my new entrepreneural mindset has brought profit directly to my organization as well wink

1 Like

Re: What Career Track Are You On? by spartanian(m): 8:23pm On Oct 14, 2014
Seun:
I'm on the personal track. A successful Nigerian website admin who is going international soon.
What are you feeling like?
Anyway, am also stubbornly on the personal track but need some professional career counselling before I burn all my fingers.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by esere826: 1:22pm On Oct 15, 2014
@ Ajanlekoko

Uhmmmm
Very interesting thread. I like the way you grouped the categories
\this should make for a good doctoral research topic

make I read all the comments before I start my own comment
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by esere826: 1:39pm On Oct 15, 2014
@OP

I am on the personal track. That's where I have always been. that's were I love.
they say your background shapes the choices you make in life
I guess observing my dad somehow pushed me into the personal track.

he was essentially in the general track and was fast tracked by top guns who liked him a lot.
In fact, contrary to personal track characteristics he tried to slow the fast track down because he felt it would hurt those who should be more senior to him.
When the Pharaohs that knew and liked him departed, the new pharaohs and those my dad left behind show am pepper well well.

Most things I have got in life have not been handed me on a platter of gold.
I have had to fight and agonise to get them.

If some top folks adopt me as their scion for fast track, I no go mind sha
the Goodluck anointing is the best grin
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by netotse(m): 10:15am On Oct 30, 2014
AjanleKoko:
I thought to bring back this topic wink

Would be nice to hear what has changed in people's perspective. For me, nothing has really changed. Since I wrote this, I've read a few books about organizational behaviour, but I found them to be laborious and full of heavy scientific language.

I would say that I've been able now have a 40-60 ratio (General vs Personal track). I.e. I have been able to take definite steps towards personal goals, with good results, but I still work in an organization. Interestingly, my new entrepreneural mindset has brought profit directly to my organization as well wink

Just seeing this thread, how on earth did I miss it?

I'm on the personal track...Chose where I am, schemed my way into my current role and I seem to be doing well. I have a bit of a first movers advantage since i started doing what I do before it became popular.

I have a bit more visibility in my organization and it worries me sometimes because there's a lot expected of me and I fear one day I will be exposed as not being as competent as I appear. If I can up my game a bit fast track is sure.

On the biz side, there was a rightsizing 2 years back and it made me realize how silly it is to depend on just one stream of income so I'm trying to develop other streams, got my fingers burnt once but I'm still in the grind.

I used to worry since I don't earn as much as some of my colleagues despite all the effort I've put in but these days I barely even think about stuff like that.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by theV0ice: 10:09pm On Jul 26, 2016
Hmmm......a thread to make one do some thinking cool
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by flyca: 6:35am On Jul 27, 2016
2009 thread making front page in 2016

And you know why? Its because of the first respondant.

His way of telling us that his forecast of 2009 has come through.

Oga Seun Kon-tee-new wink

2 Likes

Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Freeezzz(m): 6:35am On Jul 27, 2016
An evergreen thread from 2009. cheesy cool
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by adedayoa2(f): 6:42am On Jul 27, 2016
You don't have to be corrupt in the General track, I aint corrupt and there are people like me in this track.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by valx2: 6:46am On Jul 27, 2016
Who exhumed this thread?
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Nobody: 6:51am On Jul 27, 2016
Seun:
I'm on the personal track. A successful Nigerian website admin who is going international soon.
angry
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Lisaint(m): 6:56am On Jul 27, 2016
Nawa for Nairaland mods oh....
A topic of 2009 just dey enter FP for 27/7/16
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by whizqueen(f): 7:06am On Jul 27, 2016
Seun:
I'm sure you'd be proud of yourself now smiley
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by nmreports: 7:15am On Jul 27, 2016
This is a question that might probably not interest people.
Where is the job and where is the career?
Everyone is just doing what they can see.

Folks are thinking of how to eat today. How to subscribe, how to stay happy etc.

For me anyway, it's personal track.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Acidosis(m): 7:16am On Jul 27, 2016
"I am minding my business" track
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by salabscholar01(m): 7:16am On Jul 27, 2016
Op thank you for this. Most people do not know that the whole concept of career is not embedded solely in the job we do today. But a path we chose to better our dreams. However, there are some people who are on broken paths, especially on the general paths, and will continue to stick to it, waiting for opportunities to come knocking without building a door.. I am on a personal track anyways. I just believe that my job is not my job until I get a better job. I keep on building doors for opportunities to come knocking. The good news is, I am very opened to move on and to getting better. My dreams is to be my own CEO in career-wise... I am not tied to a particular path... But hope to end up on a personal path.
Re: What Career Track Are You On? by Coldfeets: 7:20am On Jul 27, 2016
2009!

Ohmaigad!!!

Anyway as for me, I'm stuck on the personal track

Not like I have any other option, you know?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Industrial Training Attachment/siwes / My Junior Colleague Was Handed Over To By My Boss In Her Absence. What Do I Do? / Assessment Of Two Employees.. - A Big Lesson For All Workers.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.