Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,128 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:23 AM

Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders (3993 Views)

Free Legal Advice / Encouragement And Advice For Graduate Jobseekers / Legal Advice Needed Urgently (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by spicy007(f): 4:35pm On Apr 17, 2009
hey kudos, u got a nice thread going here
pls i just got a windfall and im thinking its not too early to write my will, is it?
im just 25 and still single, but who knows whats gonna happen tomorrow.
i hate to see alll that money go to some strangers or strange institution, if you know what i mean
any advice in the right direction will be greatly aappreciated.
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 6:52pm On Apr 17, 2009
spicy007:

hey kudos, u got a nice thread going here
pls i just got a windfall and im thinking its not too early to write my will, is it?
im just 25 and still single, but who knows whats gonna happen tomorrow.
i hate to see alll that money go to some strangers or strange institution, if you know what i mean
any advice in the right direction will be greatly aappreciated.

No spicy007 it is not to early to make one. The minimum legal age is 18yrs. The main advantage of having a Will is that one gets to control what happens to his/her properties from the grave. The snag here is that you are still single. If you make a Will now it becomes automatically revoked once you get married by virtue of Section 18 of the Wills Act.
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by biolabee(m): 9:58pm On Apr 17, 2009
how do u make a will
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by lawyer(m): 10:07pm On Apr 17, 2009
jericho:

Thanks. I am aware. It is a way of complementing what lawyer does. Started the thread because i noticed he hadnt been online for awhile.

Will definitely take your advice.

Cheers

I am very much online everyday for hours moderating my forum quietly but i have my reasons for not posting now but just watching. Someday it will be revealed why i am slowing down! There is more than meets the eye and i am learning that gradually!

But for now, na siddon look i de!

I Wish you very good luck! wink
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by Jaytee67(m): 1:49am On Apr 18, 2009
@Jericho
Kindly advise on what my wife can do on this issue. She did he ND programme in Estate Management at Osun State College of Technology over ten years ago. Upon completion of the course she was given a Statement of Result (To Whom it May Concern) stating her grade and duly signed and stamped by the School Authority.
The issue however is that when she needed to obtain her transcript from the institution, they now came up with another story that she had reference in 2 courses thereby they couldn't release the transcript.
Please advise on the necessary step that could be taken as she was not aware of such during her studentship and even at the point of releasing of her statement of result (even in which she was graded by the school authority)
Thanks.
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 8:56am On Apr 18, 2009
Jaytee67:

@Jericho
Kindly advise on what my wife can do on this issue. She did he ND programme in Estate Management at Osun State College of Technology over ten years ago. Upon completion of the course she was given a Statement of Result (To Whom it May Concern) stating her grade and duly signed and stamped by the School Authority.
The issue however is that when she needed to obtain her transcript from the institution, they now came up with another story that she had reference in 2 courses thereby they couldn't release the transcript.
Please advise on the necessary step that could be taken as she was not aware of such during her studentship and even at the point of releasing of her statement of result (even in which she was graded by the school authority)
Thanks.

The certificate issued by an educational institution to a student remains the property of that institution and can be withdrawn at any time where it is discovered that it was issued by mistake or obtained by fraud. It also follows that where it was issued by mistake the student to which it was issued is entitled to compensation by the educational body because such a student would suffer inconveneince and embarrassment resulting from the withdrawal.

In this case i would advise that your wife goes to her former school and demands for the re-computation of all her results while a student. It may just turn out that the school was wrong. Your wife should also consider leveraging on any relationship she has with a person of authority in the school to help push her case forward.

Keep me updated.

Cheers.

J
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by Jaytee67(m): 10:14pm On Apr 18, 2009
@Jericho
Thanks. Will get back to you
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by cliveland: 11:02pm On Apr 18, 2009
well, well, well, nice work just dat naijas like too many free stuffs. anyways at least i benefitted from guys in d us when i bought my Honda babyboy car last year.

kudos to jericho, like lawyer said aptly, "we" would watch n add up legal advice we its necessary n perhaps to much for our bro' colleague to cope with, i guess we have lots of legalminds in the forum.

big up 4 lawyers hereon.
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 11:18am On Apr 19, 2009
I have created an email for the thread. it is nairaland_legaladvice@yahoo.com for those who demand confidentiality.

You can send me a mail at the above address and alert me on the thread and i'll definitely get back to you.

Warm regards.

J
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by candlux: 2:18pm On Apr 19, 2009
Hi Jericho,

Nice work! Keep the good work.

Pls, what ur advice on this case; I ve worked for 3yrs with a company in Lagos, I was told to sign a bond for 5 yrs for a one week technical training in lagos on the day of the Training. I tried rejecting the bond but I was made to understand that it was compulsory. The alternative was to Resign and based on the present economic condition that is not the best tin to do. I cant stay with this company for another five years because their staff welfare package isnt very good. I have been applying to other jobs all the same. I intend to leave the Job without resigning If I find an alternative.

the penality for breakage of the bond is 5million Naira and a 3months notice must be given to the company before you leave.
so what do u think is the best legal way to leave?

Thanks!
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 10:09pm On Apr 19, 2009
candlux:

Hi Jericho,

Nice work! Keep the good work.

Pls, what ur advice on this case; I ve worked for 3yrs with a company in Lagos, I was told to sign a bond for 5 yrs for a one week technical training in lagos on the day of the Training. I tried rejecting the bond but I was made to understand that it was compulsory. The alternative was to Resign and based on the present economic condition that is not the best tin to do. I cant stay with this company for another five years because their staff welfare package isnt very good. I have been applying to other jobs all the same. I intend to leave the Job without resigning If I find an alternative.

the penality for breakage of the bond is 5million Naira and a 3months notice must be given to the company before you leave.
so what do u think is the best legal way to leave?

Thanks!

I would need you to provide futher details in order to properly advise on this. Was any provision regarding the training and fidelity bond mentioned in your contract of employment at the time you joined the company? What is the length of notice stipulated in your contract of employment. In this regard, there is a need to peruse your contract of employment and the fidelity bond you signed.

Warm regards,

J
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by candlux: 8:07pm On Apr 20, 2009
thanks for your prompt response. I am very grateful.

The employment letter never mentioned any thing about training and fidelity bond. The Organisation started bonding staff when they discovered they were loosing competent staffs.

BR
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by peaceland(m): 10:26pm On Apr 20, 2009
hello Jericho,
can you please reply to my earlier post please.
thanks
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 8:50am On Apr 22, 2009
hi,
i have an insurance savings policy plan with insurance company xyz in Nigeria. this policy was billed to run for 5 years at 10% interst per annum. at about 2 years of the tenor i decided to terminate the policy. truly in their policy contract note they did talk about partial withdrawal by the middle of the programme but at the point of my request for termination; my account officer brings up a totally new scenario - that i would forfeit 35% of my total savings, this is excluding the interest which i have already forfeited. suddenly it looks as if they borrowed me the money rather than i was savings with them. he said its called 'ex-gratia' but sincerely that clause was not written in the policy. he brought a note for me to acknowledge and accept which i refuse to do. while i am willing to forfeit up to 10% of my savings because i am liquidating before time; i think its unfair to lose 35% of my own money simply because i called for it earlier when i would also be losing the interest earned already. its like i have been working for them. my question is what can i do - obviously they have been getting away with it before now. when i was marketed i was made to believe that should the unforeseen happen and i need to terminate the investment; i would forfeit my interest and an administration costs portion would be taken from the principal savings which although was unwritten; i guessed should not be more than 10%. having invested the money for 2 years, do i still have to bear a loss of 35%?. i assure you its not stated in their policy that termination before expiration of 5 years would be subject to any ex-gratia. kindly advise . thanks. i am made to understand that unless i accept the calculations; i would not be paid so i am being held hostage. i tried to negotiate that if i pay up the monthly premiuns to make it up to what it should be for 3-4 years, can i then get at least 90% of my investmetn but the answer is no. thanks. peaceland

You are perfectly in order to refuse signing the note. It is extortion on the part of the insurance company. 35% is rather excessive and exploitative. You should insist on the terms of the policy and nothing else. I would advise that you write to the MD of the company stating your position. Where you get no response you can take it further by getting a lawyer to write to the company and demand payment of your funds. From the look of things you might have to file an action in court to secure the release of your funds, if all other avenues for recovery fail.

Warm regards.

J
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by segebaba2(m): 1:32pm On Apr 23, 2009
i have been looking for means of registering a business name for my business and also to register it as a Limited Company.

What will it costme and how can you be of help?

my maill address isolusegun.olusodo@gmail.com.
phone is 038814206.

thanks
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by cliveland: 2:55pm On Apr 23, 2009
sege baba,

it depends on;

1. d amount of share capital of d company with regards a limited liability company, what wld d company be engaged in etc,
2. sometimes there are issues using d same name for an enterprise and a limited liability, perhaps u cld do with some slight variation f names.

for further discussion lets talk on 0702-991-3487 or send mail to igu_attorney@yahoo.com

cheers
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 8:19pm On Apr 23, 2009
sege baba:

i have been looking for means of registering a business name for my business and also to register it as a Limited Company.

What will it costme and how can you be of help?

my maill address isolusegun.olusodo@gmail.com.
phone is 038814206.

thanks

I have replied to your email address.

J
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by amaikama(m): 2:05pm On Apr 24, 2009
@Jericoh! so if seun for no good reason bann me just cause my opnion does not tally with his in any given way, time, seconds or day when nairaland is home of expressing one's view base on any topic that was given a rating for a reply need to know now.

Want to start Legal proceding. grin
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 5:09pm On Apr 24, 2009
amaikama:

@Jericoh! so if seun for no good reason bann me just cause my opnion does not tally with his in any given way, time, seconds or day when nairaland is home of expressing one's view base on any topic that was given a rating for a reply need to know now.

Want to start Legal proceding. grin

Yes Seun has the right and power to ban anyone on Nairaland in his absolute discretion and he does not have to give a reason for it. My assertion is based on the content inscribed on the 3rd to the last line of this page if you scroll to the end of the page.

"Nairaland is owned by Oluwaseun Osewa".

Being the owner he has absolute rights to control who writes and what is written on the site.

Cheers.

J
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by tolonisede(m): 9:40am On Apr 27, 2009
Hello,
Sorry i have this problem disturbing my mind and its a question asked from a class i attended and it goes thus:

‘A’ agreed to hire a hall in ‘B’s building on 7th August, 1992 for the purpose of organising a party in celebration of the expected appointment of ‘A’s cousin as a minister in charge of works. As it turned out, ‘A’s cousin was never appointed. Meanwhile, ‘B’ was desirous of collecting the balance of the cost of hire from ‘A’ who refused to pay.
Advice ‘B’
Adeola advertised in the local newspaper that he inted to sell his DATSUN STANZA car for $100,000 or nearest offer. On Monday at 8 am Tunji telephone Adeola offering to pay $80,000, Adeola replied that he will only accept $95,000 wherein Tunji accepted to pay $95,000 “subject to inspection of the car”. Inspection was fixed for 4pm that same Monday. At 10:45am, Gboye call on adeola and offer $95,000 which Adeola accepted. Gboye paid and drove the car away. When Tunji called and discover that the car has been sold, he became angry and threatened to sue for breach of contract.
Advise him.

Hope to hear from you soon
Korede
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by jericho: 8:15am On Apr 28, 2009
tolonisede:

Hello,
Sorry i have this problem disturbing my mind and its a question asked from a class i attended and it goes thus:

‘A’ agreed to hire a hall in ‘B’s building on 7th August, 1992 for the purpose of organising a party in celebration of the expected appointment of ‘A’s cousin as a minister in charge of works. As it turned out, ‘A’s cousin was never appointed. Meanwhile, ‘B’ was desirous of collecting the balance of the cost of hire from ‘A’ who refused to pay.
Advice ‘B’
Adeola advertised in the local newspaper that he inted to sell his DATSUN STANZA car for $100,000 or nearest offer. On Monday at 8 am Tunji telephone Adeola offering to pay $80,000, Adeola replied that he will only accept $95,000 wherein Tunji accepted to pay $95,000 “subject to inspection of the car”. Inspection was fixed for 4pm that same Monday. At 10:45am, Gboye call on adeola and offer $95,000 which Adeola accepted. Gboye paid and drove the car away. When Tunji called and discover that the car has been sold, he became angry and threatened to sue for breach of contract.
Advise him.

Hope to hear from you soon
Korede

For a general understanding of contract law, i would refer you to chitty on contracts and Contract law written by Prof Sagay. Read these books and you'll understand the elements that constitute a valid contract.

J
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by nicechap: 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2010
Hi Jericho and other learned colleagues of NL,

A particular bank in Nigeria (for now, let’s call the bank XYZ) deducted N1,000 from my account and when I asked them why the deduction, I was told that it was towards the new ATM card that the bank is giving to their customers.

I told the bank that I do not need the new ATM card because for over the past 1 year, I have been doing online online transaction and I won't even be needing it in future and furthermore, I believe the proper thing the bank should have done is to notify us (the customers) first and request for those who will need the new ATM card or not before deciding on deducting N1,000 from our account.  I further asked the bank that since I don’t need the ATM card and I have not collected it, they should please return the N1,000 back into my account but up till now, they have not done so.

My question now is:  Can I take this bank to court and what is the procedure for doing this?

I have all e-mail communication between me and the bank as proof.

Please kindly advice.
NiceChap
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by amdman: 5:39pm On Dec 16, 2010
nicechap:

Hi Jericho and other learned colleagues of NL,

A particular bank in Nigeria (for now, let’s call the bank XYZ) deducted N1,000 from my account and when I asked them why the deduction, I was told that it was towards the new ATM card that the bank is giving to their customers.

I told the bank that I do not need the new ATM card because for over the past 1 year, I have been doing online online transaction and I won't even be needing it in future and furthermore, I believe the proper thing the bank should have done is to notify us (the customers) first and request for those who will need the new ATM card or not before deciding on deducting N1,000 from our account. I further asked the bank that since I don’t need the ATM card and I have not collected it, they should please return the N1,000 back into my account but up till now, they have not done so.

My question now is: Can I take this bank to court and what is the procedure for doing this?

I have all e-mail communication between me and the bank as proof.

Please kindly advice.
NiceChap

To recover your N1000, you need to do the following:

1. Engage a Lawyer - N150,000
2. Lawyer charges N5000 per appearance in court x 52 appearances over a 3yr period - N260,000
3. Case decided in your favour 3yrs later and court asks bank to refund N1000 and pay N20,000 to you as costs.

So who won?
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by yamakuza: 12:46am On Jan 25, 2012
Hello, is anyone here?
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by viazi: 5:51pm On Jun 23, 2013
for more free legal advice on the go via CHAT, connect with us on the following platform, YAHOO- hybridsolicitor@yahoo.com & GMAIL-viaziconcepts@gmail.com
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by ekmike(m): 1:22am On Dec 22, 2014
a mail requesting legal advice has been sent to u
Re: Free Legal Advice For Nairalanders by ximarro(m): 8:49am On Feb 12, 2015
Please help out. Is habeas corpus the most flaunted Nd abused prerogative order in Nigeria? What are your reasons?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Flow Station Production And Process Control Practicals Training / Forum For All Legal Practitioners. Lets Meet Here And Exchange Legal Views. / Onnoghen Charges 4,283 New Lawyers To Be Honest

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.