Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,297 members, 7,808,010 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:58 AM

Is The Auto Section Dead??? - Autos (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Is The Auto Section Dead??? (5649 Views)

Middlemen/agents Ruining The Reputation Of Auto Section / New Scammers On Auto Section / We Need Auto Section For Individual Sellers. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by lourash(m): 7:39am On Sep 25, 2015
ben4ever:
I think most of these self acclaimed dealers are mere resellers who just want to make abnormal profit than even the original owner of the vehicle. How can i buy a car for 1.5 million when i can source it nearby for less than 1.2 million

Nicely said.. most of the guys on auto section now are just the resellers trying to make extra money off the car owners..
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by dROC1: 7:55am On Sep 25, 2015
With the exit and fall of notable dealers like inspiredm and German007, confidence has been erroded in the auto section.
We had notable dealers who kept the tempo lively but now we have random posters and scammers taking over the forum.
I bought and sold a number of cars through nairaland before the advent of scammers (inspiredm allegedly fell into this mould eventually).
The void left by inspiredm's exit needs to be filled.

Now "Confidence" is what's missing.

@Seun: Take Note.

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by freddie2014: 8:08am On Sep 25, 2015
I wish "MAXTUM" can please come back to Nairaland auto section sad those are the buyers we want there feed back from...not window shoppers.

@Dollz you be female or man? gone through some of your posts...you do like inspired? grin
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by blank(f): 10:37pm On Sep 25, 2015
You guys are not being fair at all. This is totally unfair.

Let us show a little bit of loyalty. All this name dropping of competing websites will drive more traffic away from Nairaland.

4 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by stpat1(m): 11:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
dollz:
Why are pple moving to other sites?
1.Nairaland is as disorganized as ladipo market.
I have bought parts from ladipo before (forget that I'm a girl) and it was my friend that has to point out the various sections to me before I could buy anything.
How many newbies have that sort of time to keep burrowing in the message of posts

nairalist.com was doing great in the sales cos of its easy navigation means but it was discontinued and now being redirected to nairaland.com and I still wonder why.

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by stpat1(m): 11:12pm On Sep 25, 2015
Some dealers will even want you to call to know the price of what they posted? Can you beat that? With that alone, I start feeling there is something fishy already.

I remember calling Mr "car in northern part of Nigeria" who told me that my budget of #450k - #500k can only get me benz 190 or Orobo. What an insult.

I finally got a clean sharp Honda civic 2004 from nnamdichidi from awka. Believe me, it was cleaner that I imagined.

Some of them can still be trusted.

5 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by chronique(m): 6:30am On Sep 26, 2015
*reads comments from posters and smiles*

There's a lot of misconception and ignorance being displayed here and this might actually be because some posters here truly do not understand how cars get into naija,or how the dealership business really works,or because some people are intentionally being mischievious.

Let me quickly ask the buyers here,a very simple question: when dollar was 160naira to 1 dollar,how much were you guys buying a 2007 tokunbo toyota camry? It was an average of 2m naira. Now that it's 240 to a dollar,how much do you think same car should cost? Going by the near 50% drop in the value of the naira against the dollar,we can therefore say that the market price of a 2007 camry,should be in the region of 2.8m but yet,we're still selling around 2m. If you find anyone selling around this price,know it's a giveaway. As bad as the situation is,you'd still find clients telling you their budget is 1.8m and they want accident free ride,and would keep asking for VIN. As ridiculous as this might sound,I've had Nairalanders add me up to start pricing a toks 07 camry for 900k and 1.5m and as usual,I didn't waste time deleting them.

Buying and selling a car entails both buyer and seller having a symbiotic relationship with mutual respect. The dealer isn't doing the client a favour by selling(except when selling below market price),and the client isn't doing the dealer a favour by buying. Furthermore,I'd like to tinkle with the school of thought that suggests that the real men buying cars,are actually not on nairaland;majority of my sales are outside nairaland and are referrals from friends and clients. The buyers on NL are the ones who are ready to add up all the dealers on NL,just to get the cheapest offer for a 2004 camry(I once had someone who added me up and was in need of a used 99 lexus rx300 which I sourced from a colleague,and offered it to him at 1.150m. His response to me was that he had seen that ride before and that about 19 dealers had sent him same car. When I asked why he didn't patronize any of them,he simply said he was looking for a better deal).

Anyone waiting on NL to bring him/her a buyer,should be ready to go hungry. The real sales are outside NL.

8 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by olanshi: 7:17am On Sep 26, 2015
Atouba:

..... dude you are really arrogant.
Atouba:

....of course , there is no better example of the much talked about arrogance from dealers than what this dude just spilled. ...sheer arrogance to put it mildly.

I'm not available to trade words with you, cos it shows that you know nothing...

Sorry dude!
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Nobody: 7:30am On Sep 26, 2015
olanshi:

I'm not available to trade words with you, cos it shows that you know nothing...

Sorry dude!

....you dare not. Having access to a computer and free data is not akin to being intelligent. Your ilk are much lower in cognitive reasoning based on what you displayed here, so it's good you threw in the towel right from start.

...There were people who were much vaunted on this same nairaland some short while ago but chose to put pride before reasoning. They went down the drain. Intuition tells me you are on that same path too though I don't wish you any ill. However something with a semblance of vanity in nature is prodding you down that path well beaten by only by dunks. Trudge on and we shall see soon. A word is enough for the discernible.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Adebaba1(m): 9:05am On Sep 26, 2015
kudos to dollz for bringing up this topic, tot i was the only one.....now i know bad luck no dey pursue me. e be lyk say na olx or cheki sure pass, i don tire. but nairaland is still d main sha.
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by lourash(m): 10:34am On Sep 27, 2015
To be fair to car sellers, I think that their job is made difficult with the fact that 99% of the people who comment on car post are broke dudes who just want to read their own posts. they have no money to pay and are not even willing to buy, imagine someone posting car that we all know will go between 1.8m and 2.2m yet someone will be bidding 1m or even less ? 99% of people that buy cars from Nairaland do not comment on posts. imagine the stress that the real car dealers have to go through on Nairaland just to put their thread on first page ? They have to keep commenting all the thread just to keep the thread alive and one person with no plans to buy will just type rubbish like the dealer should call him and put a price that is annoying. I have bought two cars in the last two months from people in Nairaland without having to comment on the car post. the real buyers just pick up the number and call.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by olanshi: 12:38pm On Sep 27, 2015
lourash:
To be fair to car sellers, I think that their job is made difficult with the fact that 99% of the people who comment on car post are broke dudes who just want to read their own posts. they have no money to pay and are not even willing to buy, imagine someone posting car that we all know will go between 1.8m and 2.2m yet someone will be bidding 1m or even less ? 99% of people that buy cars from Nairaland do not comment on posts. imagine the stress that the real car dealers have to go through on Nairaland just to put their thread on first page ? They have to keep commenting all the thread just to keep the thread alive and one person with no plans to buy will just type rubbish like the dealer should call him and put a price that is annoying. I have bought two cars in the last two months from people in Nairaland without having to comment on the car post. the real buyers just pick up the number and call.

May God bless you and your home!

Nice one

2 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by chronique(m): 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
Gbam!!! End of discussion.
lourash:

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by calculusx(m): 6:59pm On Sep 27, 2015
lourash:

Gbam.... Pls are you the client that bought this Lexus from me last week?

https://www.nairaland.com/2607056/s-o-l-d-tin-can-cleared-2005-lexus

No Post, No Comment, Just a Phone Call, Inspection and Diagnosis was done and in 48hrs transaction was completed. grin
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by haykay2005: 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2015
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by blank(f): 7:45pm On Sep 27, 2015
To be fair to car buyers, at least put the price of the car being sold. Nothing as annoying as call for price.

7 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by RoyalRoy(m): 7:50pm On Sep 27, 2015
blank:

To be fair to car buyers, at least put the price of the car being sold. Nothing as annoying as call for price.

4000 likes and a crate of Orijin for you!!!

Sometimes I wonder why they don't put price and yet they wanna sell the car!

Very absurd and unrealistic.

If 3 people want to market the same car, at least they should all know and agree on a fair "asking price" instead of saying that annoying phrase "call for price".

9 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by IBROHIM: 8:57pm On Sep 27, 2015
There are a lot of fake dealers/sellers on NL! It's a serious problem! One dealer tricked me to Ilorin last year just to ask me to transfer a part of the money to his account while I was at the park at Ilorin even when i've not met him and I haven't seen the car! Imagine the distance from Kaduna to Ilorin! I can never buy any car from NL dealers again! Never!!!

2 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by lourash(m): 9:03pm On Sep 27, 2015
calculusx:

Gbam.... Pls are you the client that bought this Lexus from me last week?

https://www.nairaland.com/2607056/s-o-l-d-tin-can-cleared-2005-lexus

No Post, No Comment, Just a Phone Call, Inspection and Diagnosis was done and in 48hrs transaction was completed. grin

Nah
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by lourash(m): 9:05pm On Sep 27, 2015
olanshi:

May God bless you and your home!

Nice one
Amen oooo

Meanwhile I think if moderators will not find it offensive though that its time to create a thread just to identify people that only post on car threads without any intention to buy , there are lots of them on nairaland and its time to expose them. Also dealers should do a good work of attaching needed details to every car post
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Osama10(m): 9:58pm On Sep 27, 2015
cool
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Danabu(m): 10:52pm On Sep 27, 2015
kayjasper:

I doff my hat for you brother!!

If the section is bad....then its the dealers we should blame. Dealers like the Op Dollz.
She said that people price cars like crayfish from Oyingbo. Just imagine the Arrogance?

You want to sell a car and I should not price? And why won't I price a car and know what it costs before leaving my place to come check the car out?

So u think I will waste my time and energy to come and inspect your car, then I like it and you tell me some bullshit price after wasting all my time?

Forget all that nonsense you just said Dollz, reasonable people will price and know what their budget is before setting out.
Do you expect anyone to come and be viewing a car that they can't afford?
When they come and see the car and then they can't afford the price in the long run of what good is that?

In all sincerity I find the auto dealers on Nairaland very arrogant and full of themselves.
They behave as if they are doing their prospective clients a favor.

They won't answer any questions from clients, and later just like this Op they will call it "Crayfish Pricing". Just imagine?

1. Check out the post of dealers here, maybe two pictures only, picture of the tyres alone and the back seat. And when u ask them for more pictures they say, call or come for inspection.

Won't you know the value of what u want before spending money to go and see the "junk" car they have for sale?
Or u think everyone stays in Lagos like most dealers?

2. She said people on Olx are more forthcoming, well since OLX doesn't have space to interact with sellers except to make calls, they may be calling but how many people believe in OLX and its credibility?

3. Olanshi, u sef dey open mouth for here....I laugh at you.
All your cars are over priced and out of range from the "average market price" and u want people to buy from you?
Guy, go and learn that to sell a car, you don't want to put all your gains in just one deal.
When a Nairaland dealer will want to gain 300k on just one ride? Who will come and buy from you?

4. Finally, i will advice you dealers to always make sure u post detailed pictures of cars u want to sell. Full engine pix, front pictures, both sides, rear view, dashboard, front seats and back seats....that's a total of 7 pictures.
Is that too hard to do?

And all these yeye believe that a serious buyer will call you is nothing but a fallacy!!
I have helped a lot of friends and Family source cars here on Nairaland successfully.

I will see a good car and the moment you refuse to put a price I won't call you.!!!
Why do u want to sell a car and don't want people to know the car price? Na free?

And then when we ask the Dealers questions, all they will keep saying is "Available", " Going ".
Going to where? Nonsense people.

If u dealers stop being arrogant and silly maybe more people will be buying cars from y'all.

God bless you Bro. Worst of all is the fact that they want the whole world to call for their outrageous price. Why won't they find the auto section boring? Them go continue to dey tey for market.

2 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by rinw: 10:54pm On Sep 27, 2015
Hello, Please how can I confirm if a car is stolen or not. Am about to buy a naija used car. Am not buying from a dealer...the owner advertised by himself... Car already inspected and price agreed...but because I don't knw him from Adam I need to be sure of my dealings... I need advice from experience nairalanders
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by NanaF: 11:25pm On Sep 27, 2015
rinw:
Hello, Please how can I confirm if a car is stolen or not. Am about to buy a naija used car. Am not buying from a dealer...the owner advertised by himself... Car already inspected and price agreed...but because I don't knw him from Adam I need to be sure of my dealings... I need advice from experience nairalanders

Did the owner say he is the first user in Nigeria? Check the custom papers then check the VIN to see when it was first brought into Nigeria/Cotonou.

Also do a check on the plate number to see what name/address it is registered in. Someone at the FRSC office can help you with this.

I've almost bought suspected stolen cars twice from nairaland.

I once tried to buy a car whose plate number check came up with an entirely different car/name/address. When I asked the owner he said he doesn't know how that's possible that he gave it to a woman to register the car for him. He said since I have the custom papers I can register it as a new car.

The second time that this was helpful, the person then admitted that he was the second user and did change of ownership, meanwhile he never mentioned this before and said he imported it himself.

The second red light was the VIN number had no history meaning it was bought brand new in Nigeria. It was a 2007 Camry. Meanwhile the guy has custom papers saying the car was imported second hand from U.S.

I hope this helps.

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by rinw: 3:45am On Sep 28, 2015
NanaF:

Did the owner say he is the first user in Nigeria? Check the custom papers then check the VIN to see when it was first brought into Nigeria/Cotonou.

Also do a check on the plate number to see what name/address it is registered in. Someone at the FRSC office can help you with this.

I've almost bought suspected stolen cars twice from nairaland.

I once tried to buy a car whose plate number check came up with an entirely different car/name/address. When I asked the owner he said he doesn't know how that's possible that he gave it to a woman to register the car for him. He said since I have the custom papers I can register it as a new car.

The second time that this was helpful, the person then admitted that he was the second user and did change of ownership, meanwhile he never mentioned this before and said he imported it himself.

The second red light was the VIN number had no history meaning it was bought brand new in Nigeria. It was a 2007 Camry. Meanwhile the guy has custom papers saying the car was imported second hand from U.S.

I hope this helps.

Thanks alot. He told me he bought from someone a year ago. And dt the person bought it brand new, the vehicle document carry his name, d glass has also been engraved. How can I trace to the first user.
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by MSItachi: 4:39am On Sep 28, 2015
kayjasper:

If the section is bad....then its the dealers we should blame. Dealers like the Op Dollz.
She said that people price cars like crayfish from Oyingbo. Just imagine the Arrogance?

You want to sell a car and I should not price? And why won't I price a car and know what it costs before leaving my place to come check the car out?

So u think I will waste my time and energy to come and inspect your car, then I like it and you tell me some bullshit price after wasting all my time?

Forget all that nonsense you just said Dollz, reasonable people will price and know what their budget is before setting out.
When they come and see the car and then they can't afford the price in the long run of what good is that?

In all sincerity I find the auto dealers on Nairaland very arrogant and full of themselves.

They won't answer any questions from clients, and later just like this Op they will call it "Crayfish Pricing". Just imagine?

1. Check out the post of dealers here, maybe two pictures only, picture of the tyres alone and the back seat. And when u ask them for more pictures they say, call or come for inspection.

Won't you know the value of what u want before spending money to go and see the "junk" car they have for sale?

2. She said people on Olx are more forthcoming, well since OLX doesn't have space to interact with sellers except to make calls, they may be calling but how many people believe in OLX and its credibility?

All your cars are over priced and out of range from the "average market price" and u want people to buy from you?
Guy, go and learn that to sell a car, you don't want to put all your gains in just one deal.
When a Nairaland dealer will want to gain 300k on just one ride? Who will come and buy from you?

4. Finally, i will advice you dealers to always make sure u post detailed pictures of cars u want to sell. Full engine pix, front pictures, both sides, rear view, dashboard, front seats and back seats....that's a total of 7 pictures.
Is that too hard to do?

And all these yeye believe that a serious buyer will call you is nothing but a fallacy!!
I have helped a lot of friends and Family source cars here on Nairaland successfully.
I will see a good car and the moment you refuse to put a price I won't call you.!!!
Why do u want to sell a car and don't want people to know the car price? Na free?

And then when we ask the Dealers questions, all they will keep saying is "Available", " Going ".

If u dealers stop being arrogant and silly maybe more people will be buying cars from y'all.

Jisos see finishing. You said my mind. Noting to add for now

3 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by AreaFada2: 5:20am On Sep 28, 2015
kayjasper:

Is that too hard to do?

God bless you:
(1) NLer car dealers have the worst manners in business. Very impolite, arrogant & cocky. Most have no business dealing with human beings.

(2) Most don't include year car was built if older than 1998 model usually, no price, no fuel type (NOTE that fuel IS NOT EQUAL to petrol. It can diesel too!), no engine capacity, nothing relevant. Seems they want to hide information. Don't get me started on the outrageous prices.

(3) They think they're some kind of celebrity or Obama. People should waste money calling them to find out engine capacity or if AC works. To them, if you cannot call, you're too poor or unserious to buy a car. Disdain for presumed poor people is overwhelming. It's not like most will be pollte on phone sef.

(4) Scam has crept in here gradually. Inspired Autos & co have not helped.

(5) Car section needs a better format. It's a mess. Some dealers can't even follow their own threads to reply. It should be re-organised and be searchable according to car company name, model, price range, etc.

I have been challenging individual dealers over bad attitude here for ages.

If things don't change soon, nobody will even look seriously at Auto section here. You dealers should grow up. Any potential customer is king. If you cannot see that, stay at Scamland called OLX.

By the way, I was already shipping cars to sell in 9ja when IBB was still Head of State.

9 Likes

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by paul234(m): 7:50am On Sep 28, 2015
rinw:
My reply on this post might be helpful www.nairaland.com/2611895/how-know-car-stolen
Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Sep 28, 2015
AreaFada2:

God bless you:
(1) NLer car dealers have the worst manners in business. Very impolite, arrogant & cocky. Most have no business dealing with human beings.

(2) Most don't include year car was built if older than 1998 model usually, no price, no fuel type (NOTE that fuel IS NOT EQUAL to petrol. It can diesel too!), no engine capacity, nothing relevant. Seems they want to hide information. Don't get me started on the outrageous prices.

(3) They think they're some kind of celebrity or Obama. People should waste money calling them to find out engine capacity or if AC works. To them, if you cannot call, you're too poor or unserious to buy a car. Disdain for presumed poor people is overwhelming. It's not like most will be pollte on phone sef.

(4) Scam has crept in here gradually. Inspired Autos & co have not helped.

(5) Car section needs a better format. It's a mess. Some dealers can't even follow their own threads to reply. It should be re-organised and be searchable according to car company name, model, price range, etc.

I have been challenging individual dealers over bad attitude here for ages.

If things don't change soon, nobody will even look seriously at Auto section here. You dealers should grow up. Any potential customer is king. If you cannot see that, stay at Scamland called OLX.

By the way, I was already shipping cars to sell in 9ja when IBB was still Head of State.

.....God bless you. A daft one not only showed his arrogance and cockiness on this same post but clearly exhibited the lowest level of IQ in dealing with serious issues that have bandied him with a nefarious group. Instead of singling homself out by displaying maturity and professional attitude to concerns from his market, the best he could do was to state that he "gets business from somewhere else"
You see, the truth is that they have not been getting business for the following reasons:

1. Arrogance!;Arrogance!!;Arrogance!!!
2. Poor Customer service/Customer relations management
3.Fraud/Scam
4. Lack of Vision/Myopic reasoning.

The fourth one requires someone who is very dicernible to see that they have been losing Business to the guys who bring in cars from Cotonou. Have you noticed that the guys who help clear cars from Cotonou have been on the increase since last year? They are theri real competitors here. Check Nairaland Auto section, you will see that these guys have been very active these days. You go to Cotonou and you see same car that our so called :Big Dealers" have been advertising and and expecting you to crawl on your knees for them, almost 400k-500k cheaper, sometimes more. These guys deliver within 48 hours with correct duty payment and your car intact. I recently bought a car at cotonou far cheaper than what one dealer on nairaland insulted my mother and my household on for daring to price. The car I bought was even a more recent model than the one he advertised but just about 220k more than his own price(he advertised a 2004 model without staing his price and expected me to call and beg while I bought a 2009 model with 220k more than he was asking me to pay)

I had a close check on the Cotonou agent who brought the car for me and he cleared 6 top range cars (including a gl550 2012 model and a range rover) in one day and made some cool money. He is nearly in cotonou everyday and brings in cars regularly. He gets paid not so much for his agency fee but they are regular(everyday thing+ plenty deals). He brings in an average of 3-5 cars weekly. They have been getting Business. Check nairaland

This is the real reason why the so called "Big Dealers" have not been getting much patronage here on nairaland. The daft ones among them will say "Well, i still get my sales from other sources and dont depend on nairaland alone" or "I sell to the big guys and not in trickles like the Cotonou gaent". Only myopic people ever reason like this. You need to ask Sony, Ericsson, Nokia, IBM,GM Motors and other giants that have fallen in the Business world what they first thought about Samsung, LG, Dell,Toyota,Honda etc when they raised their heads. They all understimated them and thought their market and stake in the industry was so secured and could not be threatened by mere neophytes. These former big companies are now being bought over by the neophytes.

... a word is enough for the wise. I am out

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Osama10(m): 9:19pm On Sep 28, 2015
I concur.

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Osama10(m): 9:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
You can call me now.

1 Like

Re: Is The Auto Section Dead??? by Osama10(m): 10:50pm On Sep 28, 2015
Thanks for the call.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Sold Toks Accord 2014 EXL Excellent Condition sold! / Clean Tokunbo C300 2013 Low Mileage sold! / Entry Level. . . .Emperoh Has Recruited One; 2007 Honda CR-V

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 126
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.