Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,496 members, 7,808,838 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501585 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by DapoBear(m): 4:17pm On Nov 20, 2010
Ileke-IdI:

aya = wife.

But in this case, how is it conveyed that she wasn't Uriah's wife when she gave birth to Dafidi? Is aya the term for "wife" alone, or for sort of "ex-wife"?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by DapoBear(m): 4:29pm On Nov 20, 2010
Didn't quite figure it out, but now I see the audio version I'm using to uses very different words than "aya Uriah" (which is what I found here: http://www.africanportal.net/ABO/BibeliAtoka/MATTEU.pdf).

They use some other, much longer expression. Searching now if I can find some text to read that matches the audio. . .
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 4:37pm On Nov 20, 2010
Candy9:

Please here are some more questions. The meaning of the following is clear but word by word. My yoruba dictionary is not always reliable,

Kaaro, O jire ni omoluwabi nshe lojojumo

Asha ile wa ni yen.

E seun  wink

cool

candy9, ekaaro ma wink

kaaro, ojiire ni omoluwabi nshe lojojumo is usually a praise for a child who wakes up early, greets his/her parents respectfully and goes on to do his/her chore without complaining. It means "Good morning, [i]You're a "good child"[omoluwabi] that wakes up well every morning"[/i]. omoluwabi itself means "a child with good character".

Asha ile wa ni yen - That's usually the behavior of our home. In the Yoruba culture, each behavior/characteristics of a child is linked to his/her home. We tend to look at the house where the child came from.

E Seun- Thank you wink

Candy9:

one more please my friends of ever helping,

IRE AKARI FUN GBOGBO WA O (AMIN)

Ire=blessing
fun= give
wa= comee

then I am helpless and my dictionary too,

Thanks in advance and
ire oooo for your weekend!

AKARI is not one word, but two; A KARI
A= Will
KARI ==> be enough for all of us
GBOGBO = Everyone
WA = us
FUN= For . In this case, fun is for. lol Yoruba words have multiple meanings depending on the tone.

IRE A KARI FUN GBOGBO WA O (AMIN) ===> Blessing will be enough for all of us o.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 4:39pm On Nov 20, 2010
DapoBear:

But in this case, how is it conveyed that she wasn't Uriah's wife when she gave birth to Dafidi? Is aya the term for "wife" alone, or for sort of "ex-wife"?

Lol sweety, aya is another word for wife or sweetheart, not ex-wife.

I don't know about the bible verse sha.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 6:50pm On Nov 20, 2010
Thank you so much for this extensive reply. Much appreciated.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by DapoBear(m): 7:28am On Nov 25, 2010
Just a recommendation. I purchased this "Beginner's Yoruba" book by Kayode J. Fakindele. It comes with two audio CDs as well. Seems like a pretty good resource for learning the language. Being able to rewind back and forth the pronunciation of each lesson from the textbook is quite useful.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 7:37am On Nov 25, 2010
Thanks, very nice and thoughful suggestion suggestion,

Cheers and Happy Thanksgiving to all today!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 7:39am On Nov 25, 2010
Sorry for the double, it's still early wink
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 7:46pm On Dec 01, 2010
My dear friends,
here I am again.
Wishing you a great December!

Please what does this mean in English:

abò Ólòrúñ a tun bò màá bá gbògbõ wà gbé ò

Thanks so much
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by KennyG6(m): 7:49pm On Dec 01, 2010
Candy9:

My dear friends,
here I am again.
Wishing you a great December!

Please what does this mean in English:

abò Ólòrúñ a tun bò màá bá gbògbõ wà gbé ò

Thanks so much
abo=cover/protection
olorun=God
A tu bo maa ba gbogbo wa gbe=will continue to abide with us
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 7:53pm On Dec 01, 2010
smiley

Kenny, thank you so much!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ampaho: 12:57pm On Dec 04, 2010
Although this is fun, you could just look it up on this comprehensive dictionary: http://www.jolome.com/yoruba/
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 1:33pm On Dec 04, 2010
thanks so much for the link! Real great. I have the Yoruba Dictionary by PLC University press too, but the more the better, (the merrier)

NICE
smiley cool
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ampaho: 8:32pm On Dec 04, 2010
You're welcome @Candy, My pleasure smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by minex333: 3:29pm On Dec 05, 2010
dan Allah need help. what is meaning of 'mahowkata ne'.thanks in advance
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 10:00pm On Dec 13, 2010
Please dear friends, can you translate this:
Ki o toju ara e fun mi, emi feran re gidigidi. Alafia!

thanks very much!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 10:04pm On Dec 13, 2010
Candy9:

Please dear friends, can you translate this:
Ki o toju ara e fun mi, emi feran re gidigidi. Alafia!

thanks very much!

Ki o toju ara e fun mi - Take care of yourself for me

emi feran re gidigidi. - I love you very very much

Alafia - Good health.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Cappadona123: 10:33pm On Dec 13, 2010
Hello,anyone need Hausa translation?Just let me know

Afuwo,wanda ya bukaci Hausa fassarar?kamar sanar da ni
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 6:36am On Dec 14, 2010
Thank you so much, Ileke-Idi!
smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 8:41am On Dec 14, 2010
Candy9:

Thank you so much, Ileke-Idi!
smiley

anytime, ma'am.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 12:05pm On Dec 14, 2010
smiley

ire ooo abundantly!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 9:10am On Dec 21, 2010
hi, please what does this mean:
ma je ki omi ta simi lara o

thanks again! smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by pwiz(m): 4:32pm On Dec 21, 2010
Maje ki=don't let, omi=water, ta si mi=splash lara=on my body ooo,
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by pwiz(m): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
Any one who luv to learn NUPE language am willing to help u out, Good morning=ku be laji, Good afternoon=ku be gidi, Good evening=ku be losun, Food=engichi, cloth=ewo, sleep=ele, come=bêê, go=chelo, Where are you going=ba welo, I love you=mi yebo we, Friend=eya, eyes=eeye, mouth=misun, ear=tupa, teeth=eekan, neck=koro, leg=bichi, hands=egwa, back=suma, finger=vundunu, more to come,

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by pwiz(m): 4:50pm On Dec 21, 2010
Any one who luv to learn NUPE language am willing to help u out, Good morning=ku be laji, Good afternoon=ku be gidi, Good evening=ku be losun, Food=engichi, cloth=ewo, sleep=ele, come=bêê, go=chelo, Where are you going=ba welo, I love you=mi yebo we, Friend=eya, eyes=eeye, mouth=misun, ear=tupa, teeth=eekan, neck=koro, leg=bichi, hands=egwa, back=suma, finger=vundunu, more to come,
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 5:11pm On Dec 22, 2010
p.wiz:

Any one who luv to learn NUPE language am willing to help u out,  Good morning=ku be laji, Good afternoon=ku be gidi, Good evening=ku be losun, Food=engichi, cloth=ewo, sleep=ele, come=bêê, go=chelo, Where are you going=ba welo, I love you=mi yebo we, Friend=eya, eyes=eeye, mouth=misun, ear=tupa, teeth=eekan, neck=koro, leg=bichi, hands=egwa, back=suma, finger=vundunu, more to come,

I'd love to learn. So could you add the tone marks and illustrate how to pronounce the words?

Candy9:

hi, please what does this mean:
ma je ki omi ta simi lara o

thanks again! smiley
p.wiz:

Maje ki=don't let, omi=water, ta si mi=splash lara=on my body ooo,

Yea, DONT LET WATER SPLASH ON MY BODY O.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 5:23pm On Dec 22, 2010
cool Ohh thanks so much again, this page is sooooo great! I appreciate it totally!!!

Love to you all here and E ku odun!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 6:13pm On Dec 22, 2010
Candy9:

cool Ohh thanks so much again, this page is sooooo great! I appreciate it totally!!!

Love to you all here and E ku odun!

hehehe, am beginning to think you're a regular viewer. You pop out as soon as I post.

We're here to help, dont hesitate to ask for help. kiss

Eyin na, eku odun keresimesi ati odun tuntun - YOU TOO, MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR.

eyin - you
na - too
eku odun keresimesi - Merry Christmas
ati - and
odun tuntun- new year
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by gbking(m): 8:26pm On Dec 23, 2010
How do you say all this in Yoruba:

Hello
How are you?
I love you
Goodnight
Thank you
What are you doing?
Nigerian roots
Rest in peace
Only God can judge me
Merry Christmas
Happy New Year
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 1:48am On Dec 24, 2010
gbking:

How do you say all this in Yoruba:

Hello - Bawo ni? We dont have a yoruba word for "hello", but usually we greet each other, depending on the time of day. Like, good morning, good afternoon, good evening, good night. Or we Ekiti people say "in okun" or "in ora o", which is our hello. Yoruba ppl also greet based on weather, condition, what the other person is currently doing, etc. i.e If the other person is working, we say "eku ise", which roughly means, "we acknowledge that you're working, great work".

How are you? - Bawo ni?
I love you - Mo ni ife e. or mo feran e gidigan
Goodnight - odaaro [means, "till we meet tomorrow morning"]
Thank you - O seun but if you're talking to an elder, you say e seun
What are you doing? - Ki l'o n se? to an elder, it's ki l'e n se?
Nigerian roots - Omo Naijiriya [/b]or [b]Ibile Naijiriya
Rest in peace - suu re
Only God can judge me - Olorun nikan lo le dami l'ejo or Olorun nikan lo le fun mi l'esi
Merry Christmas - Eku odun keresimesi
Happy New Year -Eku odun tuntun
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by gbking(m): 10:48pm On Dec 24, 2010
Thank you smiley
How come throughout the website people use a variety of different spellings for the same word? Is it because the language is mostly spoken so a correct spelling is only known by few or is it just slang?

For example you said what are you doing is "Ki l’o n se" however another person said "ki lon she" practically the same but spelt differently.

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.