Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,460 members, 7,808,643 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:42 PM

Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (501573 Views)

We Need To See More Hausa And Fulani Girls Representing Nigeria And In Nollywood / Traditional/ Native Hausa And Fulani Names? / How Did The Populations Of The Igbo, Hausa, And Yoruba Come To Be So Large? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (52) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 3:37am On Mar 26, 2010
Cardinal Directions ??
North
South
East
West
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by biina: 8:10am On Mar 26, 2010
In Yoruba
North = Ariwa
South = Guusu
East = Ilaorun
West = Iwoorun
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 5:19am On Mar 28, 2010
Biina, thank you. At least I know that those directional expressions are present, somewhere in West Africa.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 4:11pm On Mar 31, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Cardinal Directions ??
North
South
East
West
Igbo.
North . . .ugwu
East . . . Ndida
South and west. . no idea tongue
Chinenye,ajuju i jurum na mbu gbasara ugo,Mba n'ala igbo a mara ugo dika anu mara nma rie nne. wink
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 3:51am On Apr 02, 2010
Oh okay. Thank you.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Tayookora(f): 8:01am On Apr 03, 2010
Could someone please tell me the meaning of this word and phrase in context please?
Someone I like said "No bubu I tickle" is that disrespectful or playful?
I could only find two meanings for Bubu one is cotton dress the other is likens the meaning of bubu to mumu meaning idiot or retard etc.

What does the phrase 'na u sabi" mean?
Please tall me whether it's yoruba or igbo etc thank you very much smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ezeagu(m): 1:46pm On Apr 03, 2010
ChinenyeN:

Cardinal Directions ??
North
South
East
West

North - Olile Anyanwu
South - Nleda Anyanwu
East - Owuwa Anyanwu
West - Odida Anyanwu

Thanks to the Igbo dictionary.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by nellaluv(f): 6:15pm On Apr 03, 2010
Whats d meaning of omo ale
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 6:25pm On Apr 03, 2010
Thanks, Ezeagu.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by husny: 9:30pm On Apr 04, 2010
Hausa

North- Arewa
South- Kudu
West- Yamma
East- Gabas
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by biina: 12:46am On Apr 07, 2010
nellaluv:

Whats d meaning of omo ale
Lit Trans: Lover/bf/gf's child
Meaning: Bastrd, Sonofa . . . . grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by nellaluv(f): 7:28am On Apr 07, 2010
biina: Lit Trans: Lover/bf/gf's child
Meaning: Bastrd, Sonofa. . . . grin
grin grin grin grin exactly what i wanted to know. I'll be back,lol wink
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by akwaowoudo(m): 11:36am On Apr 07, 2010
Hi! Good morning. Pls i treasure ur pix in ur profile. Kindly spare me ur data; phone number. Do text it via my no: 08032640895. Thanks.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ChinenyeN(m): 3:47pm On Apr 07, 2010
Thanks, Husny.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 3:51pm On Apr 09, 2010
@Biina

Got an essay due and I need your help, homie.

For a Yoruba naming ceremony, all these items below are used as symbols, what do they mean and represent?

1. Iyo
2. Ataare
3. epo pupa
4. obi
5. orogbo
6. oyin

Thanks!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 7:00am On Apr 11, 2010
Hallo and good morning,

what do these yoruba phrases mean:

Emi ni, mase beru

and

ko sewu loko

Thank you and have a nice Sunday!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Nobody: 2:57am On Apr 12, 2010
Candy9:

Hallo and good morning,

what do these yoruba phrases mean:

Emi ni, mase beru

and

ko sewu loko

Thank you and have a nice Sunday!
Emi ni, mase beru - It's me, dont be afraid. or do you mean Emi Mi, mase beru - My mind [spirit], dont be afraid.

Ko sewu loko - There is no danger in trying (?) grin
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 7:46pm On Apr 13, 2010
Thanks again, I have replied but cannot see the reply. So here one more time!
Great help!

smiley
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by MaxKing: 9:47am On Apr 15, 2010
Does any one know how to say "please" in TIV language?
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lannre(m): 4:41pm On Apr 22, 2010
please what is the name of this fruit in Yoruba "Bitter Melon"  I dont mean bitter lemon.

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lannre(m): 4:49pm On Apr 22, 2010
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 8:16pm On Apr 24, 2010
Dear Friends and helpers:

please tell me in English:

Je ka lo se wa mo

and

Je ka lo se sun le

Thanks!

for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSq2Zn2XoY&feature=related

Happy weekend!
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by lannre(m): 2:52pm On Apr 26, 2010
Candy9:

Dear Friends and helpers:

please tell me in English:

Je ka lo se wa mo               = Let us go hugging

and

Je ka lo se sun le                =  Lets go sleeping on each other

Thanks!

for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkSq2Zn2XoY&feature=related

Happy weekend!

That is just a direct meaning , but really mean let us go for sexual intercourse. Often use jokingly . But might come to reality depending on the user and the receiver. Have lovely Wa mo [/b]and amorous [b]sun le
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Candy9(f): 4:16pm On Apr 26, 2010
Thanks, Lanre, very enlightening!

wink
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by mito: 3:03am On May 01, 2010
Please help translating these sentences to english:

1. A'kuko Na. Tu'to

2. M'AKA ADIAMAMA
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by ifyalways(f): 4:21pm On May 21, 2010
mito:

Please help translating these sentences to english:

1. A'kuko Na. Tu'to

2. M'AKA ADIAMAMA

lol
Akuko na tu to=this story/gist is sweet or intresting.
Maka adi ama ama=in case of eventualities.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by Lovely2010: 7:32am On May 22, 2010
Can someone be kind enough to tell me what Arhurugi Nayi Nkem Uwuu means in Igbo. I was told it meant I love you but everyone else says I love you is something totally different than what I have here. If someone could pleas advise me I would appreciate it.
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by chichiwill: 8:16pm On May 31, 2010
whats the meaning of 'mu mi'
i need a yoruba tutor, i want to learn yoruba,
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by GlobalD2: 10:34pm On May 31, 2010
chichiwill:

whats the meaning of 'mu mi'
i need a yoruba tutor, i want to learn yoruba,

As Yoruba intonation goes with the meaning
'Mu mi' can be 'Catch me'
'Mu mi' can also mean 'Drink water (i.e. 'Mu omi' in full writen)

If its with apostrophe, that means 'Mu'mi' (Drink water)
without apostrophe, it means 'Mu mi' (Catch me)
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by brian102: 10:45pm On Jun 08, 2010
Stumbling through internet dictionaries. Trying to make igbo word for red goat

is it mme emo?

please help
Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by cantell(m): 10:49pm On Jun 08, 2010
brian102:

Stumbling through internet dictionaries.  Trying to make igbo word for red goat

is it mme emo?

please help
Ewu mme mme

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary by cantell(m): 10:58pm On Jun 08, 2010
Lovely2010:

Can someone be kind enough to tell me what Arhurugi Nayi Nkem Uwuu means in Igbo. I was told it meant I love you but everyone else says I love you is something totally different than what I have here. If someone could pleas advise me I would appreciate it.
Correct spelling - Ahuru m gi na-anya nke ukwuu means I love you so much.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (52) (Reply)

Lists Of Yoruba Names And Their English Meaning. / ..

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.