Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,180 members, 7,780,251 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:20 AM

Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive (15152 Views)

Can I Get A Mini Laptop With A CD-ROM Drive? / Windows Xp Service Pack 2 Activation / Computer Restarts While Booting Up Reaching The Windows Xp Logo Stage Only (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by buzmail1: 8:18am On Apr 16, 2009
The XP on it has corrupted so I want to install a new Windows XP on it but it doesn't have CDrom. What can I do?
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by DualCore1: 8:29am On Apr 16, 2009
if your laptop allows you to boot from usb drives, then u can boot from one.
else get an external cdrom

or as a last resort (don't try this if u have the slightest of doubts u'll brick ur lappy), remove the hard drive from the laptop, connect it as a removeable storage device to another lappy, back up everything u got (except the p0rn directory tongue, if applicable. haha). partition the drive into 2. copy WinXP installation files into the secondary partition. now connect the drive as a master on that other lappy u're using (not ur own), run windows 98 installation on it, on the first partition. when done, take ur drive back to ur lappy and let it boot up to windows 98. when in windows 98, goto the second partition where u kept the xp installation files and do an upgrade installation of winXP.
That's it. tht's how i used to install winXP on boxes tht didnt have cd-roms when winXP first came out.

Disclaimer: i would accept no responsibilities for any damages caused to ur lappy or any of its parts in the process of doing the above, even if my procedures were carried out to the last letter.
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by flyuche(m): 6:24pm On Apr 16, 2009
@ dual core. With this your disclaimer are you sure the guy would go ahead with your advice, lol .It's always a comic relief to read your replies.
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by DualCore1: 6:53pm On Apr 16, 2009
shay na during this era of economic crunch, na him u want make i carry gbese for person lappy tongue

the procedure works but i'm just being careful.
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by netotse(m): 2:51am On Apr 17, 2009
i agree with dual core. . .
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by blackweaver(m): 8:21pm On Apr 18, 2009
how many partitions does your harddisk have? if it has more than one partition with over 600mb space you can copy the
xp installation files to that partition and start the setup from within windows - especially if your laptop can't boot from flash drive
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by oybv101: 9:04pm On Apr 18, 2009
another thing you can do. . .

assuming you have access to another pc, copy the contents of the cd to a folder on a flashdrive, copy this to your desktop, and run. it will work

earlier this year, i installed windows 7 on my old toshiba. the dvd of that laptop is practically dead, do eventually, i installed daemon tolls, mounted the windows 7 image, commenced installation, and yes, it worked.
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by stancozy(m): 8:03am On Apr 19, 2009
I guess this is the simplest of thing i can do asa computer wannabee. . Copy installation files to my flash drive or external hdd. . And run the setup from the usb port. .quite easy cheesy
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by Don4life: 12:23pm On Apr 20, 2009
My xp crashed or should i say is corrupt i did a repair on it but it did nt complete is my data delected in other words wat i mean is dat if i go a repair on xp does my data delect(gone)
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by netotse(m): 12:57pm On Apr 20, 2009
Don4life:

My xp crashed or should i say is corrupt i did a repair on it but it did nt complete is my data delected in other words wat i mean is dat if i go a repair on xp does my data delect(gone)
its shouldnt as long as u do the right thing. . . if u dont know what to do, ask for help here 1st some1'll prolly be able to write the steps to follow
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by sameolg616(m): 1:55am On Apr 24, 2009
enough experts in the house with STALE GISTS,
guy,simply enter ur BIOS, configure it to boot from removable device(usb flash)
follow the below steps:
1.get an original flash drive(at least 1G)
2.copy the contents of the xp cd to a folder on ur desktop (use another computer)
3.get the software winsetupfrom usb 0.1.1
4, use the program to integrate the winxp files u copied onto the flash
when ur done, insert the flash into ur laptop and boot with it,
then ur xp installation begins,
call or mail me for the program gbenga 08061679732 ,for_u2_nv2001@yahoo.com
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by mecussey(m): 1:27pm On Apr 27, 2009
you guys are missing one thing; you can not just copy windows file to a flash drive, you need to make it bootable. You will need a usb multiboot; search for it by google or send me a male and I will teach you.
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by sameolg616(m): 11:19pm On Apr 27, 2009
dats wat winsetup usb is for, it will copy all the installation files to flash and make it bootable, tested and trusted
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by lekanfayz: 10:13pm On Sep 02, 2009
have you uys ever heard of the software named ghost, there are different versions for different operating systems, get d one for win XP, (na like N150 , e no cost at all), run this on a separate system (prefarably without vital docs ) wit xp running on it, open ghost, clone this hard drive into ur lappy's hdd as the destination drive, replace in your laptop, boot up your sys. pronto u r on.

Disclaimer: i am not liable for any damage to your lappy from trying out this method, info just provided as resources on NL.
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by sirturanov: 1:46pm On Jan 20, 2010
what if my BIOS don't support usb boot? can I use winsetupfrom usb 0.1.1 to boot from my flash drive?
and another question, I have 2 partitions on my laptop, and my cd rom is dead. On my local disk C I'm running XP, and i want to install xp on my second partition, and than format my C partition.
Can I install xp from copied files on my C partition , or there will be a problem during installation?
what's your recommendations?

Please, help
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by sameolg616(m): 10:51am On Jan 30, 2010
4giv me,its bin long since i last visited nairaland.If ur bios doesnt support usb key,try usb harddisk(use an external harddisk)i cant rememba d name of d prog dat simulates bios2allow boot from usb(plp*).Besides let an expert install in2ur other partition4u cuz its technical
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by Mavor: 12:09pm On Jan 30, 2010
Put your lappy and a copy of Windows XP in a bucket of water, pour Omo, wash, rinse and dry. Win XP has been installed again!!! grin
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by adeomos(m): 4:28pm On Jan 30, 2010
if the system have a usb port you can download the all file into a flash and install it from the flash
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by fixit4me: 9:37pm On Jul 29, 2011
sad sad sad. Hello, just stumbled on this thread after 3 weeks of sleepless night researching on the internet on how to reinstall my Win xp with a faulty cd rom. What i have done so far, i read about usb booting, my toshiba m45 does not support usb booting, so i read about plop boot manager to make it become usb bootable. Thank God plop boot manager supports installation via floppy apart from cd rom, so i ordered a toshiba usb floppy disk drive on ebay, downloaded plop boot manager on floppy diskette and use it to fire up my system, but first setting my bios to boot from FDD, plop boot manager works magic as my toshiba was able to recognize usb bootable flash drive, unfortunately Win xp professional set up keeps getting stuck when copying files from my usb, i have inter-changed the RAMs and still cant successfully copy all files without getting stuck in 16%, 24%, 54% (i need expert advice on this first as usb booting woud be great and time saving and can serve my PC in the future without stress, i found a method explained on google of taking out laptop HDD to another desktop, although that seems equipment demanding and special computer skills) If i have to fly with the second option, can i use usb 2.0 sata ide adapter to mount my laptop HDD on the desktop or do i really need to make a physical connection. I tried maybe not so wise way before, by using the usb sata ide adapter to mount the laptop SATA HDD on the desktop, the desktop recognizes the laptop HDD like a flash drive would work when put in a system for the first time, i was able to get into the HDD and see the content. I rebooted the desktop with win xp in the cd rom, it showed my laptop HDD and when i try to install xp directly into it, it get stuck with a message of desktop motherboard compatibility and i need a motherboard manufacturer software or something, to cut my story short, help me deal with first option of usb booting and make clearer the second option of any possibility of using usb 2.0 sata ide adapter, if thats gonna work. I make an SOS call on this adorable toshiba laptop before i make a decision to garbage it in 1 week. FYI: i am usling a demo version of flashboot to make my Ufb flash drive become bootable by copying win xp iso image on the pen drive usling flashboot. I urgently need this PC to work. any help guys
Re: Installing Windows XP Without A CD-ROM Drive by Nobody: 6:00pm On Apr 17, 2015
Read the full step by step guide on how to install windows xp from here http://www.edumacro.com/how-install-windows-windows-download/

(1) (Reply)

Hundreds Of Thousands May Lose Internet Access In July / Windows 10 Will Log You In Using Your Biometric Data / Step By Step Info On How To browse With Dstv Decoder And Cable Modem

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.