Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,445 members, 7,781,290 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 11:53 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? (19493 Views)

Nigeria .ng Domains Hit 100,973 / Change Your Blog Domain From ..com To .com Or .net In A Jiffy / Nigerian Sites Now Redirects To .ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 8:53pm On Sep 24, 2015
I have scanned the web and only a very few domains are live on .com.ng or .ng.

Why aren't we embracing our own brand of extension like it is obtainable in UK, Australia, South Africa etc?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 9:12pm On Sep 24, 2015
bcox they bliv dat anytin NG is fake

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by ubiquitousade(m): 9:19pm On Sep 24, 2015
fxbot:

Why aren't we embracing our own brand of extension like it is obtainable in UK, Australia, South Africa etc?

it is because a .ng domain is more expensive than the .com or .com.ng.

check out the hosting service providers and compare the prices.

27 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 9:24pm On Sep 24, 2015
ubiquitousade:

it is because a .ng domain is more expensive than the .com or .com.ng.

check out the hosting service providers and compare the prices.
but .com.ng is cheaper now. Why can't we still embrace it?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by FincoApps(m): 5:55pm On Sep 25, 2015
I agree
MrKontrovErsy:
bcox they bliv dat anytin NG is fake

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by resultcase(m): 7:50pm On Sep 25, 2015
And d good part is, premium com.ng are available. I just bought few.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by spikesC(m): 8:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
The management of .ng domains are not as mature and transparent as their foreign counterparts.
Search around the Internet, you'll see a lot of stories. One of them trended on nairaland. A Chinese guy who bought .ng domains and it got 'swallowed'.

And then again, it is unnecessarily costly considering that Nigeria is trying to catch up to the modern world

11 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Panshow(m): 9:58pm On Sep 25, 2015
.ng is very expensive. .com.ng, is not attractive to me.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by LivingGod22: 10:07pm On Sep 25, 2015
(1) Cheaper to run
(2) .com is recognized to be international (.ng is also international, but some visitors will automatically termed it country-side {if you understand me though })
(3) Easily remembered & highly guessed: let me explain this as this is my valid point of choosing .com extension for my website. When you give someone your address, the person might have forgotten the name/extension if not written. Take Facebook for example as the forgotten case. The first guess to come to visitor's mind regarding extension is www.Facebook.com

24 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by ubiquitousade(m): 10:24pm On Sep 26, 2015
spikesC:
The management of .ng domains are not as mature and transparent as their foreign counterparts.
Search around the Internet, you'll see a lot of stories. One of them trended on nairaland. A Chinese guy who bought .ng domains and it got 'swallowed'.

And then again, it is unnecessarily costly considering that Nigeria is trying to catch up to the modern world
this is not a joke, i will love to read it up.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 4:34am On Sep 27, 2015
spikesC:

i am aware of that and I was one of those who contributed to the thread. The chinese guy even wrote to me via PM.

Well, I think Nigerians are missing on the SEO aspect of .com.ng if done right.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 4:39am On Sep 27, 2015
resultcase:
And d good part is, premium com.ng are available. I just bought few.
yeah, I had events.com.ng on my list but someone took it last month cos I delayed.

Well, it's good for me as people are staying a way from such extension. They don't see what I am seeing. Branding and SEO-wise, .com.ng is the way to go!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by webincomeplus(m): 5:27am On Sep 27, 2015
Firstly, this thread shows the unpardonable reason I would always steer clear of. com.ng or. ng domains: www.nairaland.com/62490/all-nigerian-sites-ng-domains

Secondly, they are not easily as "guessable" as. com domains. the average Nigerian who cannot remember a domain name's extension would punch in. com first.

As for those saying it gives an SEO advantage, that's not an exclusive benefit. While it's true a. com.ng or. ng domain will boost local SEO rankings, you can always get the same -- or even better -- results by geotargeting your blog or website to Nigeria using Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools).

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 7:10am On Sep 27, 2015
webincomeplus:
Firstly, this thread shows the unpardonable reason I would always steer clear of. com.ng or. ng domains: www.nairaland.com/62490/all-nigerian-sites-ng-domains

Secondly, they are not easily as "guessable" as. com domains. the average Nigerian who cannot remember a domain name's extension would punch in. com first.

As for those saying it gives an SEO advantage, that's not an exclusive benefit. While it's true a. com.ng or. ng domain will boost local SEO rankings, you can always get the same -- or even better -- results by geotargeting your blog or website to Nigeria using Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools).
yeah, yet LindaIkeji..com.ng still get visited huh? Why?

When you build your brand those things don't matter!
It's about capturing the mind of people--That should be the goal of a serious business.

Why do companies, especially new ones(Etisalat for example), run ads multiple times? Why?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 7:12am On Sep 27, 2015
NIRA hasn't been doing their jobs as they should. In the UK, people prefer .co.uk to .com more than 60% of the time.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by webincomeplus(m): 9:45am On Sep 27, 2015
fxbot:
yeah, yet LindaIkeji..com.ng still get visited huh? Why?

When you build your brand those things don't matter!
It's about capturing the mind of people--That should be the goal of a serious business.

Why do companies, especially new ones(Etisalat for example), run ads multiple times? Why?
Ask Linda Ikeji what her blog URL is and she'll tell you it's Lindaikeji..com. The. com.ng version of her domain was created automatically. If you enter lindaikeji..co.in, lindaikeji..co.uk, or lindaikeji..co.ke, you will still get redirected to her blog. That's one peculiarity of Blogger blogs. So, many people with a strictly Nigerian IP get automatically redirected to lindaikeji..com.ng, not that she created that domain name herself.

As for branding, yes you may be right to some extent. But do you the number of people who enter jumia.com instead of jumia..com.ng? Or have you ever wondered why Jumia and Co would do anything to encourage you to download their app? It's to prevent you from visiting the wrong site while trying to remember the correct URL.

Whether you spend on branding or not, the fact remains that most people will always start their guesses with .com before considering. com.ng.

8 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 10:11am On Sep 27, 2015
webincomeplus:

Ask Linda Ikeji what her blog URL is and she'll tell you it's Lindaikeji..com. The. com.ng version of her domain was created automatically. If you enter lindaikeji..co.in, lindaikeji..co.uk, or lindaikeji..co.ke, you will still get redirected to her blog. That's one peculiarity of Blogger blogs. So, many people with a strictly Nigerian IP get automatically redirected to lindaikeji..com.ng, not that she created that domain name herself.

As for branding, yes you may be right to some extent. But do you the number of people who enter jumia.com instead of ? Or have you ever wondered why Jumia and Co would do anything to encourage you you download their app? It's to prevent you from visiting the wrong site while trying to remember the correct URL.

Whether you spend on branding or not, the fact remains that most people will always start their guesses with .com before considering. com.ng.
I am aware of the variety of linda's blog on extensions. I used .com.ng as an example to depict length and memory span.

However, Having spent time on the web since 2003 and also delving into domaining as business, I can tell the importance of using a .com and I know the importance of the "king" of extensions.

Furthermore, I am not disputing you stance: when I talk about .com.ng, it exclude anything to incorporate more than 1 word due to potency of memorability. At least I have been in domaining business long enough to understand what short, catchy and memorable domains can do to a business.

It's as if someone saw my comment some weeks ago and grabbed Graphics.com.ng. That making it 2nd name I had no my list due to delay of my web projects--the other one being Events.com.ng.

I am thinking of domainating LOCALLY and I can always use .com if I wish to extend my web presence internationally.

Besides, content is king and not extensions when it comes to web businesses--you are an expert in that regard and you know exactly so. Wherein quality contents are provided, people will be forced to visit your site irrespective of the the extension.

Also remember that your .com without a list in place is completely useless and I also not an advocate of 3 words .com in a url for same reason you are kicking againts .com.ng--memorability.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by emillionaire: 3:42pm On Sep 27, 2015
it's about time price. most new bloggers can't afford it.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by iykepromotions: 4:19pm On Sep 27, 2015
among all extensions .com is still the king and the most popular.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 10:42pm On Sep 27, 2015
webincomeplus:

As for branding, yes you may be right to some extent. But do you the number of people who enter jumia.com instead of ? Or have you ever wondered why Jumia and Co would do anything to encourage you you download their app? It's to prevent you from visiting the wrong site while trying to remember the correct URL.

guy I don catch you ooo. So you go use one handle comment for domain thread den use this one dey bomb us with queens English eh? 100ksale make we rob mind abeg grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by akpanpromise: 1:52am On Sep 28, 2015
.ng is expensive almost $100 or 15k in Naija to register alone, then host?

.com is highly respected and it is normal for people to choose the later over .ng

there is .com.ng but it doesn't even seem professional to me though.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by resultcase(m): 3:35am On Sep 28, 2015
All faults goes to Nira! They tarnished .ng with some of their shady deals! Oops, someone took php.ng was on my list.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Fredzy7(m): 11:15am On Sep 28, 2015
I personally dont use ng because i am aiming for a world audience, it is sites that are aiming for nigerian audiences that use the com.ng or ng TLDs

actually they both are very proffesional but if your site is not about lets say
"Jobs in nigeria", "Nigerian songs" then dont use ng

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by free2ryhme: 11:53am On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:

anything related to .com.ng or ng.com na scam

our image on the internet has been tarnished
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by ichommy(m): 11:54am On Sep 28, 2015
The Mentality of Naija people is that the domain is limited to NG only.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Yinkahlite(m): 11:54am On Sep 28, 2015
Am learning new things here...
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by zangiff(m): 11:55am On Sep 28, 2015
.com is better just incase yu wanna sell yur site to a Non-Nigerian
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 11:55am On Sep 28, 2015
LivingGod22:
(1) Cheaper to run
(2) .com is recognized to be international (.ng is also international, but some visitors will automatically termed it country-side {if you understand me though })
(3) Easily remembered & highly guessed: let me explain this as this is my valid point of choosing .com extension for my website. When you give someone your address, the person might have forgotten the name/extension if not written. Take Facebook for example as the forgotten case. The first guess to come to visitor's mind regarding extension is www.Facebook.com
right smiley
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by TOPCRUISE(m): 11:55am On Sep 28, 2015
The same reason nairaland is .com and not .ng

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by jimi4us: 11:55am On Sep 28, 2015
be careful when searching for domain name on whogohost, as usual Naija people always want to play a fast one on people. i discovered that any time i seach for a nice name on whogohost.com 1 week later someone from their office will grab it before you do. picture below its an evidence of my claim. i searched for a domain name (bingo.com.ng) 3 days later it was taken by one Collins Adetuberu who work in whogohost office.

so guys my advice is, if you are not ready to pay for the domain name under 24hrs don't even think of searching for it in Nigerian domain sellers. eg web4africa or whogohost.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by teemy(m): 11:56am On Sep 28, 2015
firstly price. next is downtime, imagine the nira website being down. what is the future of domains under its care then? may be just good for a redirect.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by ichommy(m): 11:56am On Sep 28, 2015
zangiff:
.com is better just incase yu wanna sell yur site to a Non-Nigerian
Spot On

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Fisayo Fosudo Interviews Arun Maini (MrWhoseTheBoss), UK's Biggest Tech Youtuber / How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago / Facebook Approves ₦3.6B Annually For Zuckerberg's Family Security, Bodyguards

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.