Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,324 members, 7,808,085 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:56 AM

Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? - Webmasters (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? (19554 Views)

Nigeria .ng Domains Hit 100,973 / Change Your Blog Domain From ..com To .com Or .net In A Jiffy / Nigerian Sites Now Redirects To .ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 12:57pm On Sep 28, 2015
DJBIGGY:

For the record... it is google that automatically change people using site to .com.ng.... they just want us to have our own unique signature since the site is coming from nigeria... Make i hear say linda will ever buy domain
lol. Linda is one greedy bitch!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 12:59pm On Sep 28, 2015
teeowl:
Why do Americans (USA) prefer .com to .us - the answer you get is the answer you are looking for.

nope! Remember US is the internet and .com came into existence before .US.

Why do UK folks prefer .co.uk to .com? Why do Australians prefer .com.au to .com? Even Indians have started embracing their .in
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by kelliazy(m): 1:01pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
but .com.ng is cheaper now. Why can't we still embrace it?

Whichh plateform is that sir,all the hosting company I know charge higher when the .ng is added
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 1:03pm On Sep 28, 2015
kelliazy:

Whichh plateform is that sir,all the hosting company I know charge higher when the .ng is added
you can get .com.ng for 1300 naira
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by erico2k2(m): 1:04pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
lol.. I can get one for 1300 smiley
Def not with what comes with mine bro
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 1:06pm On Sep 28, 2015
erico2k2:

Def not with what comes with mine bro
what comes with yours if I may ask? I am talking about .com.ng and not .ng o
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by THATcalabarboy: 1:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
.com.ng too long
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by slightlyMad(f): 1:12pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
NIRA hasn't been doing their jobs as they should. In the UK, people prefer .co.uk to .com more than 60% of the time.

imagine selling .ng for as high as 5 million naira back then

i learnt it now sells for 15k+ which is still too high for an ordinary local .ng
haba
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 1:16pm On Sep 28, 2015
slightlyMad:

imagine selling .ng for as high as 5 million naira back then

i learnt it now sells for 15k+ which is still too high for an ordinary local .ng
haba
lol... No mind them. You can get .ng for 13k if you are ready.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by free37: 1:18pm On Sep 28, 2015
Hmm..
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by paulsir: 1:23pm On Sep 28, 2015
THE HIGHEST PURCHASED .NG WAS 7K DOLLARS BUT .COM WAS 16M DOLLARS AND COUNTING.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Nobody: 1:26pm On Sep 28, 2015
Both .com and .us came into existence in 1985

check this two articles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.us

fxbot:
nope! Remember US is the internet and .com came into existence before .US.

Why do UK folks prefer .co.uk to .com? Why do Australians prefer .com.au to .com? Even Indians have started embracing their .in
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by InvertedHammer: 1:56pm On Sep 28, 2015
/
Nigeria is a tainted name on the web.

Blame the scammers.

Use .com to beat the odds, unless you are not a businessman but a patriot.

/
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 1:59pm On Sep 28, 2015
teeowl:
Both .com and .us came into existence in 1985

check this two articles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.com
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.us

okay. Aside .US what other ones can you see? UK, Australia, South Africa etc... India also use their .IN more than we do.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 2:02pm On Sep 28, 2015
InvertedHammer:
/

Blame the scammers.

/
lol... I understand this but I am talking about local business not internationally. Besides, Nigerians who have distinguish themselves are embraced on international arena
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 2:03pm On Sep 28, 2015
paulsir:
THE HIGHEST PURCHASED .NG WAS 7K DOLLARS BUT .COM WAS 16M DOLLARS AND COUNTING.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by AmakaDNBStories(f): 2:05pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
lol. Linda is one greedy b*itch!
Lols...heard her domain is already bought and the person is asking for millions.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by Viktor1983(m): 2:08pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:
be careful when searching for domain name on whogohost, as usual Naija people always want to play a fast one on people. i discovered that any time i seach for a nice name on whogohost.com 1 week later someone from their office will grab it before you do. picture below its an evidence of my claim. i searched for a domain name (bingo.com.ng) 3 days later it was taken by one Collins Adetuberu who work in whogohost office.

so guys my advice is, if you are not ready to pay for the domain name under 24hrs don't even think of searching for it in Nigerian domain sellers. eg web4africa or whogohost.

That's so unprofessional...will never deal with a local registrar or host....I use domainking

InvertedHammer:
/

Blame the scammers.

/

This is not about patriotism or web tainted-ness, its all about costs.
if .ng was like say N5000 ,I would take it over .com.
But no! The useless folks at NIRA think folks should cough N16000+ for .ng

.com.ng na long thing ,I no gree
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 2:14pm On Sep 28, 2015
AmakaDNBStories:

Lols...heard her domain is already bought and the person is asking for millions.
she made a mistake...

1. She should have acquired the .com long ago.

2. She shouldn't have gone to the person directly. I have extensive knowlegde of domain business. What she should have done was to contact the person through proxy.

3. She is being myopic if she sees no reason to own her .com which caters for her source of income name but prefer to spen 24Million Naira for Range Rover.

One of the US presidential contestants paid $100k for his name. Just for campaign use, let alone one that could bring business to Linda is being ignored.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by folyboy2013: 2:16pm On Sep 28, 2015
try type google on the menu bar without .com and press enter, do the same to any url with .ng or .net, you shld knw why doing dis.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by DrMuzungu(m): 2:16pm On Sep 28, 2015
Over past 16-17 years of being actively involved in internet, web etc... I never had a single problem with .com .net .org and such TLDs which could not be solved within minutes. I would register a domain under my own national TLD (other than .NG) only if it absolutely necessary. Same stands for .NG

Who do you ask for help if your quite busy site suddenly goes offline due to the DNS issues at 4:45 AM, if it is on any .NG TLD? The answer to this question is the answer to the original post.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 2:30pm On Sep 28, 2015
DrMuzungu:
Over past 16-17 years of being actively involved in internet, web etc... I never had a single problem with .com .net .org and such TLDs which could not be solved within minutes. I would register a domain under my own national TLD (other than .NG) only if it absolutely necessary. Same stands for .NG

Who do you ask for help if your quite busy site suddenly goes offline due to the DNS issues at 4:45 AM, if it is on any .NG TLD? The answer to this question is the answer to the original post.
Impressive! You just gave a best reason--no support system in place!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by theplushist: 3:02pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:
be careful when searching for domain name on whogohost, as usual Naija people always want to play a fast one on people. i discovered that any time i seach for a nice name on whogohost.com 1 week later someone from their office will grab it before you do. picture below its an evidence of my claim. i searched for a domain name (bingo.com.ng) 3 days later it was taken by one Collins Adetuberu who work in whogohost office.

so guys my advice is, if you are not ready to pay for the domain name under 24hrs don't even think of searching for it in Nigerian domain sellers. eg web4africa or whogohost.

Whogohost should please answer to this! What!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 3:14pm On Sep 28, 2015
theplushist:

Whogohost should please answer to this! What!
wow wow wow wow... I guess that's how Events.com.ng was taken a way from me. Check the address for bingo.com.ng and events.com.ng ah... Now I wondered why a name that I hadn't shown anywhere was taken then after seeing this, I remembered I almost registered the events.com.ng but later let it go hoping to register it some day.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 3:16pm On Sep 28, 2015
jimi4us:

no wonder Events.com.ng was registered. I almost registered it but later left it!
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by AmakaDNBStories(f): 3:41pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
she made a mistake...

1. She should have acquired the .com long ago.

2. She shouldn't have gone to the person directly. I have extensive knowlegde of domain business. What she should have done was to contact the person through proxy.

3. She is being myopic if she sees no reason to own her .com which caters for her source of income name but prefer to spen 24Million Naira for Range Rover.

One of the US presidential contestants paid $100k for his name. Just for campaign use, let alone one that could bring business to Linda is being ignored.
Lolsss...Linda Linda. My boss said she needs to rebrand as soon as possible. Don't understand what he meant.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by BrainnewsNg(f): 3:43pm On Sep 28, 2015
fxbot:
I have scanned the web and only a very few domains are live on .com.ng or .ng.

Why aren't we embracing our own brand of extension like it is obtainable in UK, Australia, South Africa etc?

.com is google friendly than any other domain in the world.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by BrainnewsNg(f): 3:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
ubiquitousade:

it is because a .ng domain is more expensive than the .com or .com.ng.
check out the hosting service providers and compare the prices.
Thanks for this
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by fxbot: 3:46pm On Sep 28, 2015
BrainnewsNg:

.com is google friendly than any other domain in the world.
that's non-disputable.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by illuminatic: 3:48pm On Sep 28, 2015
If Nigeria breaks up according to the agitation for Biafra or oduduwa republic your .ng becomes useless.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Prefer .com To .ng Domains? by etraininginst: 3:49pm On Sep 28, 2015
Besides the fact that .com has been around for a long time and also bearing in mind that the first guess that comes to most people is a .com domain address.

I just feel cos of these reasons most people will rather go for a .com first before considering a .ng. .NG might be more expensive but it definitely has its own benefits... http://www.eti.ng[url] http://expedite.com.ng/ [/url] are some websites I can testify are doing very fine regardless of the .ng TLDs.

Nigerians should consider embracing the .NG, it's just not going to be easy to encourage Nigerians to consider a .ng domain cos its quite too expensive compared to other available options...they will rather adjust the domain name till a .com option is available...which is understandable...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How 10 Big Websites Looked 15 Years Ago / Facebook Approves ₦3.6B Annually For Zuckerberg's Family Security, Bodyguards / Fisayo Fosudo Interviews Arun Maini (MrWhoseTheBoss), UK's Biggest Tech Youtuber

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.