Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:50 PM

How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones (739 Views)

Basic Tips To Protect Your Website From Hackers / How To Protect Your Blog/website From Hackers / HELP How Do I Cancel My Hosting Account And Domain? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones by D34lw4p(m): 11:20pm On Sep 24, 2015
It seems almost inevitable that we will have our email hacked into, or some other violation of any of the online services upon which we depend.
While it may be distressing and confusing, it is possible to take back control, and there are some simple precautions that can help prevent it.

Step 1: get into your email account

The first step is to assess the damage. Go to the website of your email provider, and log into your email account.
If the password has been changed, then try the password reset mechanism by clicking on the link marked “Forgotten your password?” or similar.

Once you’re into your email account, the very first thing you should do is change your password. Change it to something long and strong, using multiple cases, numbers and special characters. Avoid using real words. We'll deal with password security later, but for now, change it so the hacker can't get back into your email account.

Step 2: check your other accounts

Once you’ve changed the password for your email account it is important to change the password of any other accounts with other services such as Facebook, Twitter, Amazon or your internet banking that may have had the same password.

It is especially important if you use your email address as the username for those accounts, as the hackers now have both your username and password for those services.

Check both your inbox and trash for any password reset emails from other services or accounts linked to your email addressnotinstigated by you. The hacker could have attempted to change your password on other sites, using access to your email to perform password resets.
i
Step 3: check for spam

Some hackers compromise email accounts in order to attack your friends or contacts. They use your email address to send spam or phishing emails attempting to trick them into thinking you need help, buy something or into giving up personal information.
While it can be difficult to tell if your email account was abused in this way, a quick check of your sent email or your inbox for dodgy replies will help identify anyone who was targeted from your contacts list.

If you do find someone contacted by the hacker, let them know that you didn't send the email to them via another communication method if you can, or by email if that's your only contact with them.

Step 4: sort out your apps

Once you've secured your email account, and dealt with any potential fallout from the violation, you need to make sure you can access your email address in all your usual places.

If you use an email program, something like Outlook, Windows Mail, Mac Mail or you get your email on a phone or tablet computer, you will have to swap the compromised password on each device for your newly created secure password.
Each program will be different, but as a general rule of thumb you have to go into the settings menu for your email account in the program and modify the account details to enter the new password.
Instructions for how to do that are listed on the help websites for Outlook, Windows Mail, and Apple’s support forum for Apple Mail. On Android smartphones and tablets your password can be changed in the accounts section of the settings app. For the iPhone and iPad, your password can be changed under the mail, contacts and calendar section of the settings app.

Step 5: protect yourself for the future

The risk of having your email account or other services hacked is increasing, but there are some things you can do to prevent it.

Source: www.nct.com.ng/forum/tips-to-help-you-recover-your-hacked-e-mail-account-and-how-to-prevent-it_49_p1.html
Re: How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones by tbsnetworks: 4:24am On Sep 25, 2015
Thanks for the very good post let me know the complete guidelines about the Email. helpdesk support | Outsourced Helpdesk
Re: How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones by D34lw4p(m): 9:30am On Sep 25, 2015
cc lalasticlala
Re: How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones by jimmynauty: 9:36pm On Sep 27, 2015
thx
Re: How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones by ozycy: 6:11pm On Nov 23, 2015
D34lw4p:
c
Apart from using the "change password". And calling customer service to retrieve email, how else can I retrieve my email. I can't access my email again even when I put d correct password wch am sure of. I was told to call customer service, but d number ain't going tru.
Re: How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones by D34lw4p(m): 3:09pm On Nov 28, 2015
ozycy:

Apart from using the "change password". And calling customer service to retrieve email, how else can I retrieve my email. I can't access my email again even when I put d correct password wch am sure of. I was told to call customer service, but d number ain't going tru.

E-mail them for support.
Re: How To Protect Your E-mail Account And Also Retrieve Hacked Ones by ozycy: 4:00pm On Nov 28, 2015
D34lw4p:

E-mail them for support.
Sorted, thanks

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Get Free N2,000 Airtime From MTN- 100percent Working / Wapka Webmasters Needed Urgently Enter / The Nigeria Owned Websites I Love To Visit Always - A Nairalander's Taste

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.