Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,491 members, 7,808,817 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:20 PM

Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! (34987 Views)

Meet Lanre Udu, Medical Doctor With Two Bachelors, Two Master's Degrees, PHD / Why Every Nigerian Lady Must Learn A Skill. / When You Know It's Time To Quit Your Job (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:24pm On Sep 25, 2015
Gem
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Ayo25: 2:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
This issue of asking people to learn a skill has been overflogged and is now very boring to hear. Actually a lot of people are now very skilled in doing one thing or the other, and are still not better off. It would interest you to know that many okada and tricycle riders are skilled in one thing or the other. Rather than admit the country is messed up, you are beating about the bush blaming peoples dependance on their degrees.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
damton:
Good write up but what of the issue of capital. But it's always difficult to start

Where there's a will, there will most certainly be a way.

1 Like

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:27pm On Sep 25, 2015
slap1:
I want to learn tailoring, who will teach me?

Walk up to any tailor wey u know say him sabi, you'd be shocked how well you'd be received.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by basilo101: 2:27pm On Sep 25, 2015
whats the need being educated and poor? rubbish
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:28pm On Sep 25, 2015
Ayo25:
This issue of asking people to learn a skill has been overflogged and is now very boring to hear. Actually a lot of people are now very skilled in doing one thing or the other, and are still not better off. It would interest you to know that many okada and tricycle riders are skilled in one thing or the other. Rather than admit the country is messed up, you are beating about the bush blaming peoples dependance on their degrees.

The system is messed up. Yes. But what will you rather do? Sit and keep blaming the government? You can hardly overflog the truth.

4 Likes

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
Alezy:
well said Op...thumbs up

Thanks, my brother.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by UnknownT: 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
As a civil engineering graduate, i have always regretted why i didnt learn Masonry or Tile fixing while in school. These guys with their skills are making it 'each' time they have job.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Gynacologist(m): 2:29pm On Sep 25, 2015
damton:
Good write up but what of the issue of capital. But it's always difficult to start
datz wat am facing ryt nw...capital...starting is somfin else...
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by kennyman2000(m): 2:30pm On Sep 25, 2015
Nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:30pm On Sep 25, 2015
UnknownT:
As a civil engineering graduate, i have always regretted why i didnt learn Masonry or Tile fixing while in school. These guys with their skills are making it 'each' time they have job.

You're not alone. Many of us also have this regret.

3 Likes

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by damton(m): 2:32pm On Sep 25, 2015
Gynacologist:
datz wat am facing ryt nw...capital...starting is somfin else...
. My brother God is your strength. keep holding on it is well.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by slap1(m): 2:33pm On Sep 25, 2015
TroubadourM:

Walk up to any tailor wey u know say him sabi, you'd be shocked how well you'd be received.

Thanks, I will give it a try.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Yemiseun(m): 2:34pm On Sep 25, 2015
Na Today !
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:34pm On Sep 25, 2015
Dnt allow ma prof to see this o

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by butanep(m): 2:35pm On Sep 25, 2015
Skills is the key.

So many would have love to acquire skills but there are having limitations especially finance.

Our education system is just trash. We read everything but at the end knows nothing.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:35pm On Sep 25, 2015
slap1:

Thanks, I will give it a try.

U welcome man, go on...It saves lives.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by baloney: 2:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Gynacologist(m): 2:41pm On Sep 25, 2015
damton:
. My brother God is your strength. keep holding on it is well.
tnx...
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by anonimi: 2:42pm On Sep 25, 2015
UnknownT:

Most of us do not systematically undertake a risk-return and value-for-money/time analysis for ALL decisions we make hence we shortchange ourselves.
Sad!

A person from a not-so-rich background who has delays in getting admission to university is better off learning a skill PROFESSIONALLY to become excellent in it and may decide to undertake further studies related thereto in future.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by kayusbrown(m): 2:43pm On Sep 25, 2015
Someone established where you dream to work with your degree/diploma. Start something today and create jobs for yourself and others. It's common to hear complains about unavailability of capital. Capital is not the first thing you need to start a successful business. The first thing you need is the right skill and determination. With that, you will find people that will be ready to invest in you.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Valendo: 2:48pm On Sep 25, 2015
Its very unfortunate that a major industry is out there but people are not aware or are being lazy. Look @ the poster above me talking about betting. This is part of what we are saying. Everybody wants to get rich quickly. I'm saying this once again. Network marketing is not as bad as people are taking it to be. I finished from Unilorin 2013 set with 2.1 but most of the job I've seen out there is total slavery. When a frnd introduced me to Networking, I said no but today all glory be to God, this business is putting money into my accounts. And I'm beginning to thank God that I didn't get those useless job out there. I would probably be in slavery no doubt. That does not mean there are no good jobs out there but even b4 you get a good one, get busy. I can assure you if you can lay a good foundation in networking, you won't regret it. Even if you are asked to sell products, is there anything bad in that? People should learn to take things easy. Our youths want to get rich quick. Nobody wants to work @ all. See how football betting is booming, people wasting there monies on baba ijebu. My dear brothers please think twice. If you wish to know about AIM Global please feel free to ask me. Thanks

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Larrylarex(m): 2:50pm On Sep 25, 2015
Talking about motivational speaking, some people have it naturally by virtue of their belief but how can that skill bring money? Any ideas, suggestions? Your reply might help a brother!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Lovexme(m): 2:51pm On Sep 25, 2015
gmacnoms:
2yrs+ after nysc, it's my skill dat is sustaining. Even while I workd in a bank, my skill fetched me so much mor dan d work cos it was contract staffing. I'v decided to focus on makin gr8nes out of dis skill. I'm a saxophonist, and believ me, it's takin me far and payin so much bills.

I'v realised d cert. Is not all I need

I can play the drumset. Please, link me up.

Although, I could do with new drumming skills, but I'm definitely not a beginner.
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Ayo25: 2:51pm On Sep 25, 2015
dearpreye:

The system is messed up. Yes. But what will you rather do? Sit and keep blaming the government? You can hardly overflog the truth.
The situation is an hopeless one. Skill acquisition is not the answer. I have told you all graduates now know they have to learn a skill and many have and are still learning. But the bitter truth is that the more they learn, the more frustrated to become. The same reason why they cannot get a job as graduate is the same reason they cannot make money with their skill. If someone had gone to school and decided he wants to make a living with it, whats is wrong about that? Did the constitution not say that the government of the FRN would make the country a land of equal and bright opportunities for its citizens, which in simple interpretation meant that, whatever legitimate thing you have elected to do, be it schooling or skill acquisition, there would be conducive atmosphere for it. I havea skill but people should spare me all this skill acquisition talk, as a way to financial heaven.

1 Like

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by dsealofGod(m): 2:51pm On Sep 25, 2015
dearpreye:
Today, and once again, I'm writing on a very familiar issue. Degrees are outrightly overrated - especially down here in Nigeria.

This system churns out thousands of graduates every single year, and almost all of these graduates have the same mindset of seeking and getting a job somewhere. Whether or not we accept it, the JOB MARKET is overcrowded and government won't give everyone a job. Actually every serious government should be more concerned with creating a supportive and enabling environment than creating jobs for its people.

Every individual has a talent and a passion, and their wealth and fame lies in their vigorous pursuit of those passions and talents.

It's about time everyone begins learning a skill OR start to develop some latent ability within them. There's nothing wrong with adding a skill to your degree. It could be learning plumbing, professional driving, wiring a house, tailoring, selling, carpentry, painting, fashion designing, etc, or it could developing some soft skills like becoming a great communicator, writer, or even becoming a motivational speaker or personal development expert.

I had gone to give a safety briefing to some contractors and other management staff this day. After the briefing, one of the managers approached me, appreciated the manner of the talk and asked, " are you a motivational speaker?". Of course I sad NO. And she enthused I would make a good speaker if I could put my heart into it.

I laughed away the talk, but the speech replayed later in my mind as I was preparing to retire to bed in the evening. I Googled on the topic and started to read almost all the materials that came up. That was how I started on the journey to personal development and motivational speaking.

Last week, I went to give a give a talk to some youths. Although I refused to take a dime but I left there very fulfilled and I know I'm on my way to adding another skill to my skill pool. In this era, there's no limit to the skills we can acquire.

At the moment, an old man is fixing some plumbing works for me. As we talked, he told me how he's been looking for youths to assist in learning that skill, but none has shown any interest.

As an undergraduate, you can still make plans towards learning a skill while on campus. Skill is the way forward. No great nation ever took skill development for granted. It's time to learn a skill. Any skill can be a temporal source of income. Men are losing their jobs; competition is fiercer now than ever. Even if you're seeking to be the best in your chosen field, you can still add a skill. Any skill.

Thanks for reading. Have a great day.

Lalasticalala, good morning.

That is straight and simple talk my broda. The Nigeria situation is moving frm bad to worse. As for me, I read Geography n Environmental Mgt but today I am teaching Information n Communication Technology in a renown private school. A skill I acquired wen in school.

The formula of "Go to school, get a good grade and get a good job" is no longer working. But "Go to school, get a grade and setup a system or buy one, so that you can even employ professors to work for u....." The first formula will prepare you to look for job while d second will prepare you to create a job and employ others...

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Valendo: 2:53pm On Sep 25, 2015
Larrylarex:
Talking about motivational speaking, some people have it naturally by virtue of their belief but how can that skill bring money? Any ideas, suggestions? Your reply might help a brother!
This is where the problem is. Don't think about the money first. Think about how to serve people. The money will follow suit. Don't let d money be d driving force. Look for something you can do free of charge.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by Nobody: 2:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
Valendo:

This is where the problem is. Don't think about the money first. Think about how to serve people. The money will follow suit. Don't let d money be d driving force. Look for something you can do free of charge.

Simple. The truly wealthy people I've read of read of didn't have money alone on their minds when they set out to chase their dreams. They knew the more they served, the more money they will make.

1 Like

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by DikSeen(m): 2:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
dearpreye:
Lalasticalala, good morning.

Why greet that snake man
Allah knws I hate him with koranic hatred!
Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by wildchild1: 3:01pm On Sep 25, 2015
true talk grin

in other news,order your football jerseys
https://www.nairaland.com/2447345/2015-2016-new-jerseys-available/4

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Degrees Are No Longer Enough: It's Time To Learn A Skill! by emmylucky(m): 3:11pm On Sep 25, 2015
to learn hand skills no easy ooo cause am learning it right nah (Plumber)I will quiet wen I got admission Dan seating at home westing my year

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Hnd Graduates Can Now Rise Above Level 14 / 10 Types Of Occupations That Make The Most Money This Season. / Bank Send New Staff To Prisons For A Tour To Deter Them From Embezzling Money

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.