Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,652 members, 7,801,898 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:44 AM

Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without (1766 Views)

Top 3 Reasons People Go Broke Before Month End - How To Avoid It / 3 Tips To Help You Escape A Sack Letter When You Can’t Do The Job / Top 3 Nigerian Banks Where Staff Do Not Work In Fear (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by kengreatleads(m): 1:17pm On Sep 25, 2015
No matter what you desire to be, either an entrepreneur or you intend to build a career working in an organization, these three skills are inevitable. After careful observation, I discovered, to really get and stay ahead of the competition; you’ve got to arm yourself with these three skills…without much ado, lego…

Team Spirit

I define team spirit as the ability to work with a team in order to achieve a common goal. If you’ve seen “The Men Who Built America”, when the three industrial titans: JP Morgan, John D Rockefeller and Andrew Carnegie were faced with a common enemy: Williams Jennings Bryan who threatened to shatter their individual business empires if elected president of The United States. Morgan, Rockefeller and Carnegie ingeniously put behind their rivalry and worked together as a team to ensure Bryan didn’t become president, and guess what? They succeeded! Team spirit is an act that has to be developed, perfected and harnessed. The earlier you start developing a team spirit the better for you, believe me, team spirit will come handy on your quest to the top. One fact you also need to know: you may one day have to team up with your competitors against a common enemy, Just like Morgan, Rockefeller and Carnegie teaming up against US presidential candidate Bryan. The bottom line is, as long as you get what you want, teaming up with your rival shouldn’t be a problem.

Effective Communication
The importance of effective communication to anyone hoping to make headway in any industry cannot be overemphasized. I will be considering effective communication from two angles: The first is the ability to speak well with very little or no blunders. Recently, I asked a group of teenage girls why they can’t speak good English, most of them blamed the poor standard of their school. What surprised me was that none of them was courageous enough to blame self. What those girls did not know, ability to speak well is better developed at a young age mostly by self, with help of others of course. Imagine in a meeting, you have this really great idea but you decide to keep it to yourself because you’re afraid you’d make a blunder. If you find yourself deficient of the ability to speak well, it’s not too late to develop and improve your ability to speak well. It’s best you start now!
Another angle from which I’ll like to look at effective communication is the ability to communicate politely with colleagues in such way that makes working with you fun. Ability to communicate politely is a major ingredient to building healthy relationships in work place. Communicating politely is an attitude that should be developed in order not to end up with an awkward number of enemies. As you climb to the top, you should be working on building a viable friend base not an enemy base. One way to achieve a viable friend base is to communicate with people in such a way that gives them a sense of worth and belonging.

IT Skill
Hello? This is 21st century my dear, computer skill is a must, you heard right, a must! Not just to stay ahead of the competition, for you to even compete at all, at least a basic knowledge of Word, Excel and PowerPoint coupled with an ability to effectively use of the internet should top your priority list. Currently, most top organizations prefer like 50% of their recruitment process done online. Now imagine the amount of opportunities you’ll likely miss if you have no idea how the internet works. The opportunities you stand to gain developing IT skills greatly surpass any amount of stress you’ll probably encounter developing these skills; you just cannot afford to lose the opportunities attributed to IT. If you recall the funny incident that transpired between the NSCDC man and Channels TV guys, I’m sure you remember “ww.nscde yes, so (clears throat), that’s all”. It’s more than enough indicator that at this age, IT skill is required by everyone irrespective of who you are.

http://www.amebojoint.com/2015/09/top-3-skills-graduates-cant-do-without.html
Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by Nobody: 1:28pm On Sep 25, 2015
word ...nice one op..D's are d stuffs dat should make front page
Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by babywhite(f): 1:33pm On Sep 25, 2015
nice! thanks
Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by dhope: 2:14pm On Sep 25, 2015
The first is the
ability to speak well with very little or
no blunders. if a man of 30+ is suffering frm dis, what steps and action can u recommend for him to help him overcome this challenge?
Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by kengreatleads(m): 9:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
dhope:
The first is the
ability to speak well with very little or
no blunders. if a man of 30+ is suffering frm dis, what steps and action can u recommend for him to help him overcome this challenge?

1st: He needs to hang more around people who speak well as this will ignite the passion to conquer the challenge.

2nd: Get helpful materials on how to improve your grammar.

3rd: Ask grammar related questions from people you know who speak well.

4th: Read more! I'll recommend fictional books. Not necessarily fictions though, it could be reading on a topic of interest. Just make sure you read quality books more. They not only build your mind, they also improve you grammatically.

5th: Watch more foreign movies (American/UK), they have a way of helping you speak well (from personal experience).

6th: Confidently speak when you get the chance, it doesn't matter if you're laughed at, it will help you to easily learn to say the right thing next time.

7th: Be open to corrections.

8th: Don't give up! Soon enough, speaking well will no longer be a problem.

All the best!

3 Likes

Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by morrygreat: 5:47am On Sep 26, 2015
kengreatleads:

1st: He needs to hang more around people who speak well as this will ignite the passion to conquer the challenge.

4th: Read more! I'll recommend fictional books. Not necessarily fictions though, it could be reading on a topic of interest. Just make sure you read quality books more. They not only build your mind, they also improve you grammatically.

5th: Watch more foreign movies (American/UK), they have a way of helping you speak well (from personal experience).

6th: Confidently speak when you get the chance, it doesn't matter if you're laughed at, it will help you to easily learn to say the right thing next time.

All the best!

In case of Accent/ Intonation how Will one go about that pls

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by FunnyDude(m): 2:26pm On Sep 26, 2015
Where is the damn job ?
Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by Princess4eva(f): 5:35pm On Sep 26, 2015
morrygreat:

In case of Accent/ Intonation how Will one go about that pls

Yeah! accent otherwise known as mother tongue interference is a big impediment to spoken English. The dictionary can only help if you have a knowledge of the speech sounds and the stress pattern. If you can't match the symbols to the sound it produces, then you need an instructor. Apart from this, watch as many American or British movies as you can, ensure they come with subtitles so you can get each word as it's pronounced. Listen to foreign news too - BBC, CNN, Fox etc. I won't recommend any of our local news stations believe me you're better than some of them. Good luck to you in your quest to improve self.

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by kengreatleads(m): 9:02pm On Sep 27, 2015
Princess4eva:

Yeah! accent otherwise known as mother tongue interference is a big impediment to spoken English. The dictionary can only help if you have a knowledge of the speech sounds and the stress pattern. If you can't match the symbols to the sound it produces, then you need an instructor. Apart from this, watch as many American or British movies as you can, ensure they come with subtitles so you can get each word as it's pronounced. Listen to foreign news too - BBC, CNN, Fox etc. I won't recommend any of our local news stations believe me you're better than some of them. Good luck to you in your quest to improve self.

Right on point!
Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by globalresource: 12:40am On Sep 28, 2015
You are right
Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by dhope: 8:03am On Sep 28, 2015
kengreatleads:

All the best!

thumbs up to u. thanks

1 Like

Re: Top 3 Skills A Graduate Can’t Do Without by Princess4eva(f): 10:23pm On Sep 28, 2015
kengreatleads:

Right on point!
Thanks for seconding.

(1) (Reply)

A Letter To Mr President / Reasons Why We Should All Sell Bread! / Please Help Me Choose A Good Skill To Learn Am Very Confused

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.