Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,880 members, 7,802,845 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 11:06 PM

Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" (38938 Views)

Nigerians Attack Saraki, Senate Over Osinbajo - Daily Trust / I Was ‘extremely Rich’ Before Becoming Kwara Gov – Saraki / Angry Worshippers Attack Saraki, Emir, Ex-minister, Dignitaries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by ezebunafo(m): 9:38pm On Sep 25, 2015
Senate President Bukola Saraki, who stoned yesterday with rocks and water sachets by an irate mob at the Eid Prayer Grounds in Ilorin, Kwara State, has accused Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of leaving him vulnerable and open to attack, an aide of the governor has told SaharaReporters. Governor Abdulfatah Ahmed of Kwara State

Our source added that Governor Ahmed confided in aides and the traditional ruler of Ilorin that the Senate President made himself the target of furious crowd because he failed to listen to security reports and advice urging him to stay away from Ilorin during the Sallah holiday.

A security source corroborated the governor’s sentiment. According to him, security agencies in the state had been aware of public anger against the governor and Mr. Saraki, especially as information circulated among residents about the size of the senator’s assets and personal wealth. He added that many people in the state, among them unemployed youth and workers who are owed arrears of salaries, felt that the Saraki family had exploited them for years. 

A reporter in the state also told SaharaReporters that rumors circulated widely that Governor Ahmed had given Mr. Saraki N1 billion from Federal bailout funds meant to clear several months of salary arrears to workers. “Whether it’s true or not, the rumors were making the rounds. And they made many people incensed against the governor and Senator Saraki,” the reporter said. 

Other sources in the state disclosed that a few local imams (Islamic preachers), shocked by media reports about Mr. Saraki’s obscene wealth, revealed in his past asset declarations, preached about the senator’s greed.

“Once we heard what the preachers were saying in mosques, we warned the governor [Ahmed] to avoid any public outing as it was clear that people [were] angry and waiting to attack him and his godfather, former Governor Saraki,” one of our security sources said.

He added that, days before the Sallah festivities, security agents had seen piles of stones hidden in drainages around the prayer ground, and told the governor about it.

An aide of the governor told SaharaReporters that Governor Ahmed, in turn, communicated his concerns to Mr. Saraki in Abuja. “But Senator Saraki continued to feel that he was popular in Kwara State, especially in Ilorin,” said the governor’s aide. “He would not agree to exercise caution because he wanted to show his popularity after his ego was bruised at the Code of Conduct Bureau,” the aide added. Mr. Saraki was last week arraigned at a tribunal for false declaration of assets.

Ignoring all security warnings, the Senate President reportedly ordered the governor to arrange a series of high profile events for him in the state capital. The events proposed by the embattled senator included meet and greet at the Ilorin Airport on his arrival in the state. 

A few days before Senator Saraki’s arrival, the airwaves were saturated with radio announcements calling on politicians and civil servants in the state to welcome the former governor at the airport. In the end, the event was abruptly canceled when security agencies warned that protesters were planning to launch an attack on Mr. Saraki at the airport.

SaharaReporters learned that, a night before the Sallah prayers, Governor Ahmed told Senator Saraki that he would not attend Eid prayers at the Ilorin praying grounds on account of adverse security reports. But Mr. Saraki was not deterred, said our sources. Instead, he ordered his aides to scout the length and breadth of Ilorin and surrounding towns in order to mobilize a huge crowd to show up and sing his praises at the prayer grounds.

On Sallah, Governor Ahmed headed for his hometown, avoiding showing up in Ilorin. 

Meanwhile, Mr. Saraki arrived at the venue where he was initially serenaded by a retinue of hired praise singers. However, shortly after the formal prayer events started, with the Chief Imam presiding, and the Emir of Ilorin, Sulu Gambari, next to him, protesters started shouting “Ole! Ole!” (meaning thief in Yoruba). Pandemonium soon ensued as the angry crowd began hurling rocks at the VIP tent. Prayers were aborted as Mr. Saraki and a coterie of other religious and political officials were smuggled out of the prayer grounds. The police, army and civil defense agents had a hectic time clearing the way for the dignitaries to escape. Several eyewitnesses disclosed that the security agents fired teargas and live bullets to scare the rampaging protesters.

In a public relations stunt, Senator Saraki quickly arranged a short press conference where some hired youth chanted his praise  in the background as he spoke for a minute or two before he fled. 

Our source, who is an aide of the governor, told SaharaReporters that Mr. Saraki was also displeased with the governor’s media team for issuing a statement condemning the attack on Senator Saraki and other VIPs. The embattled Senator Saraki felt that the statement undermined his earlier denial that he was not the target of the stone-throwing protesters. 

Mr. Saraki had handpicked Mr. Ahmed to succeed him as the governor of Kwara State. State workers are being owed salaries for the last five months, a development that is seen as the result of Mr. Saraki’s financial mismanagement during his eight-year stint as state governor. 

Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Governor, Who Responds, “We Warned You” | Sahara Reporters
http://saharareporters.com/2015/09/25/ilorin-attack-saraki-upset-kwara-governor-who-responds

14 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Precious91(m): 9:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
Thought he said he wasn't attacked.Saraki,you can lie ooo

63 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by domopps(m): 9:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
If I hear!

Cheeeers

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Nobody: 9:45pm On Sep 25, 2015
Its only a matter of time, Saraki Sins and the Sin of his Father would eat him up

31 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Dannyset(m): 9:48pm On Sep 25, 2015
Shameless Senate President trading blames and looking for who to hang his corrupt payback on. Go and resign Saraki. Ur a shame to the Red Chamber.

35 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Ezenwammadu(m): 9:49pm On Sep 25, 2015
Saraki na korrect ole

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by phyllosilicate(m): 9:51pm On Sep 25, 2015
I am presently in Ilorin and I agree to imams preaching about Saraki.
The mosque I prayed today, though I don't understand yoruba; from the little english the Imam was adding to the yoruba, he mentioned Buhari little assets despite been a governor, petroleum minister and president and ptf chairman. He also said some people around buhari are 'traitors'. He asked people to pray for him. The imam was wise he passed the message without mentioning saraki's name.

I looked around and saw that 'men dey vex'. Then I knew Saraki political career is dead. Even pa chukwudi can win Saraki in an election in Ilorin.

I was also in the prayer ground yesterday, i strongly believe that those who started the attack were hired, but many were happy to join them. The most supprising thing was that i didn't see anyone that felt for him, but I did.

124 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by fagbalex(m): 9:54pm On Sep 25, 2015
Chosen1984:
Its only a matter of time, Saraki Sins and the Sin of his Father would eat him up

Ameen!

5 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by FemiAdenekan(m): 9:57pm On Sep 25, 2015
No kind of soap can wash away the disgrace. His arrogance and greed are what is still keeping him in that office. No iota of shame in him. angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by pyyxxaro: 9:59pm On Sep 25, 2015
The evil that the Sarakis' do

Would surely leave with them tongue

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by omenka(m): 10:00pm On Sep 25, 2015
When is Saraki going to resign?? angry

#now I'm loving this DJ. cheesy

7 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by omenka(m): 10:00pm On Sep 25, 2015
When is Saraki going to resign?? angry

#now I'm loving this DJ. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by forgiveness: 10:04pm On Sep 25, 2015
Well, He has tested his popularity but what was the outcome?

8 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Nobody: 10:05pm On Sep 25, 2015
Soon the poor will have nothing else to eat but the rich!!

35 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by merry02(m): 10:15pm On Sep 25, 2015
Shara reporter and the Nation will always dance to Tinubu drum..

9 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by oloyedayo(m): 10:17pm On Sep 25, 2015
will this cause separation between saraki and hamed?

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by podosci(m): 10:18pm On Sep 25, 2015
The attorney General of Switzerland just started criminal proceedings against sepp blatter of FIFA.....I think Tinubu also has a hand in it, what do you think? grin

76 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by kennydee05(m): 10:20pm On Sep 25, 2015
The masses at war with Saraki. Definitely the masses have nothing to loose.

16 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by bugzbunny: 10:26pm On Sep 25, 2015
phyllosilicate:
I am presently in Ilorin and I agree to imams preaching about Saraki.
The mosque I prayed today, though I don't understand yoruba; from the little english the Imam was adding to the yoruba, he mentioned Buhari little assets despite been a governor, petroleum minister and president and ptf chairman. He also said some people around buhari are 'traitors'. He asked people to pray for him. The imam was wise he passed the message without mentioning saraki's name.

I looked around and saw that 'men dey vex'. Then I knew Saraki political career is dead. Even pa chukwudi can win Saraki in an election in Ilorin.

I was also in the prayer ground yesterday, i strongly believe that those who started the attack were hired, but many were happy to join them. The most supprising thing was the i didn't see anyone that felt for him, but I did.

Anytin dat rocks u guys boat...
Atleast imams are no longer mentioning GEJ
Propaganda Govt...smh

11 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Jesusloveyou: 10:39pm On Sep 25, 2015
Chosen1984:
with dis report, this is d end of saraki, he is finish

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by vedaxcool(m): 10:44pm On Sep 25, 2015
Chop alone get stoned alone. Remember a time will come when the poor would nothing to eat except the rich. It i better to share than to stash the money somewhere

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Perfectwazobia: 10:58pm On Sep 25, 2015
Saraki total money in Nigeria is less than #100m while having billions abroad. Improving developed country economy and killing Nigeria economy a developing nation. Nigerians judge for yourself...

50 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by pedel: 11:15pm On Sep 25, 2015
If all our politicians bring back the funds they statch abroad and creat companies and investments they will eradicate unemployment in 2 years without calling any foreign investors.

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Damalex4luv(m): 12:26am On Sep 26, 2015
Most arrogant politician ever in this country. Too arrogant and full of pride. Your end is near.

11 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by ruggedboy01: 10:45am On Sep 26, 2015
Am enjoying this drama......
If I hear say saraki resign, I will relocate to Somalia grin cheesy
Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by dave2meek(m): 10:45am On Sep 26, 2015
Saraki everyday ok continue
Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by humblesteve(m): 10:45am On Sep 26, 2015
Okay, and when last did Sahara Reports any news about the insurgency going on in the country? because, we have come to understand that alot has been happening and Sahara has never reported any case of Bomb attack. They should be professionals at what they do.

5 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by fratermathy(m): 10:45am On Sep 26, 2015
Abdulfatah Ahmed is only looking out for his own head and the future of his political career. This is imperative considering what's going on in the country now.

2 Likes

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Goodyshoes(m): 10:46am On Sep 26, 2015
What do you you expect ??
The governor of Kwara state is only trying to play safe.
In this present dispensation, one can only be careful of where he pitches his tent.
Good 'Ol Saraki.......He should have seen it coming.
Nobody wants to go down too.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by HawksDude(m): 10:46am On Sep 26, 2015
Na so
Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by Tonnierichy(m): 10:46am On Sep 26, 2015
So the summary of the mata be say na only Saraki waka come grin cheesy

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Ilorin Attack: Saraki Upset With Kwara Gov,who Responds,"we Warned You" by osaslord500(m): 10:47am On Sep 26, 2015
[code][/code]

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

APC Rejects Inec’s Decision On Bauchi Governorship Election / Abba Bichi Gets N90m Duplex As Gift - Daily Trust / Pics Wooden Bridge Constructed By Young Men In Adamawa Without Government Suppor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.