Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,253 members, 7,807,867 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? (13309 Views)

Igboland Is Not Landlocked / Landlocked Biafra Will Be An Economic Hell On Earth. / Igboland Is Not Landlocked, Opobo Is Igboland! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Deltagiant: 11:48pm On Sep 26, 2015
ezeagu:

Maybe to an extent but it would be severely limited to have a sea port on a river, even one as big as the Niger. If an Igbo nation (as the outlook is now) is serious they can simply fork out cash and buy a narrow corridor and a bit of coast from the Azumini Akwete axis maybe down through some Ogoni or Obolo lands if they agree to sell a corridor and a piece of the coast, even swamp and mangrove self, as long as it's near the coast, engineering has come to a point a long time ago where airports and dockyards can be built on sea neat the coast. Apart from that it looks like we're looking at a Suez Canal type of situation, I might be wrong.

It's sad because there's so much coastline in the delta region that's not being utilised (at the level we're talking about at least).

Good you admitted the fact that it is possible to an 'extent'. I think you're magnifying the issue than it is neccessary. The Port of new Orleans is the fourth largest port in the world and with the longest wharf. It is built 277 km on the Missisipi River from the Gulf of Mexico. Most of what we call 'seaports' the world over were built on flowing rivers and not directly on the sea, that you know.
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Armaggedon: 11:50pm On Sep 26, 2015
ezeagu:

Relying on Ikwereland right now is going out on a serious limb, realistically, and Onne is Ogoni.
yea i just found out
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Nobody: 11:50pm On Sep 26, 2015
Drchristian:

never say nobody own a land, same thing u diabolical set of peple said abt lagos.

d igbos r not native to ijawland. thet evaded it like they did to south west
wishful thinking
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by forgiveness: 11:51pm On Sep 26, 2015
chuna1985:

Loooooooool. Go n educate ur self. i jaw land begins n ends in bayelsa. Rivers state is hard core igbo land........ Rivers state is more igbo than Lagos is Yoruba.

shocked grin just yorking
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Nobody: 11:51pm On Sep 26, 2015
ezeagu:

Maybe to an extent but it would be severely limited to have a sea port on a river, even one as big as the Niger. If an Igbo nation (as the outlook is now) is serious they can simply fork out cash and buy a narrow corridor and a bit of coast from the Azumini Akwete axis maybe down through some Ogoni or Obolo lands if they agree to sell a corridor and a piece of the coast, even swamp and mangrove self, as long as it's near the coast, engineering has come to a point a long time ago where airports and dockyards can be built on sea neat the coast. Apart from that it looks like we're looking at a Suez Canal type of situation, I might be wrong.

It's sad because there's so much coastline in the delta region that's not being utilised (at the level we're talking about at least).

Ezeagu my brother, I understand your worries but please when you have time study the city of Chongqing, in China. I will give you some facts.

1) It is the biggest city in China in polulation and land mass.
2) It is the fastest growing city in China
3) It currently the has the fastest growing regional economy
4) It is the HuB of china's industry at this moment including Machinary and Auto manufacturing.
5) Most importantly, It is an Inland City by the Yangtze and Yellow river.

The last point is the most important. It is by the river and yet its able to accomplish all these.
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by ezeagu(m): 11:52pm On Sep 26, 2015
Deltagiant:

Good you admitted the fact that it is possible to an 'extent'. I think you're magnifying the issue than it is neccessary. The Port of new Orleans is the fourth largest port in the world and with the longest wharf. It is built 277 km on the Missisipi River from the Gulf of Mexico. Most of what we call 'seaports' the world over were built on flowing rivers and not directly on the sea, that you know.

What do you mean by 277 km on the Mississippi. I'm just trying to understand.

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by zuchyblink(m): 11:54pm On Sep 26, 2015
what matters is ''access to the sea'' having coastal cities is not necessary. Those coastal cities can protect us from flooding.

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Deltagiant: 11:56pm On Sep 26, 2015
ezeagu:

What do you mean by 277 km on the Mississippi. I'm just trying to understand.

I mean the port is SITUATED at that distance from the Gulf of Mexico.
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Nobody: 11:57pm On Sep 26, 2015
we have sexy access to the sea
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by ezeagu(m): 11:58pm On Sep 26, 2015
NAIJASOM:

Ezeagu my brother, I understand your worries but please when you have time study the city of Chongqing, in China. I will give you some facts.

1) It is the biggest city in China in polulation and land mass.
2) It is the fastest growing city in China
3) It currently the has the fastest growing regional economy
4) It is the HuB of china's industry at this moment including Machinary and Auto manufacturing.
5) Most importantly, It is an Inland City by the Yangtze and Yellow river.

The last point is the most important. It is by the river and yet its able to accomplish all these.

True but where would China (and China Shipping) be with all their products if they had export their stuff through rivers going through Korea and Japan or vice versa. That's my point, I think if there was an Igbo country it could do well, but I think access to the sea, especially being so close, cannot be underestimated especially with the powerhouses that is Aba and Onitsha.
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by ezeagu(m): 12:00am On Sep 27, 2015
Deltagiant:

I mean the port is SITUATED at that distance from the Gulf of Mexico.

Maybe you got mixed up with Memphis or St Louis, because New Orleans is right on the Gulf of Mexico which is why they were so effected when the levy broke in Hurricane Katrina.
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Justcash(m): 12:00am On Sep 27, 2015
ezeagu:
If Igbo people had a Fulani political mindset, they would have bought up several coastline by now, there wouldn't even be this discussion. Igboland, for now, is landlocked.

More like Fulanis should develop Igbo mindset.

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Justcash(m): 12:03am On Sep 27, 2015
DO YOU GUYS SINCERELY THINK THAT GAINING ACCESS TO THE SEA WILL BE A PROBLEM FOR THE IGBOS?

IF YOU THINK THAT BEING LANDLOCKED OR NOT WILL IMPEDE THE ABILITY OF IGBOS TO TRADE, YOU DON'T KNOW WHO THE IGBOS ARE.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Deltagiant: 12:06am On Sep 27, 2015
ezeagu:

Maybe you got mixed up with Memphis or St Louis, because New Orleans is right on the Gulf of Mexico which is why they were so effected when the levy broke in Hurricane Katrina.

Ezeagu, I'm not so sure you're informed about this port https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_New_Orleans

I repeat, most of what we call 'seaports' were actually built on bodies of water - rivers, lagoons, lakes etc with access to the sea.

2 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Nobody: 12:08am On Sep 27, 2015
ezeagu:

True but where would China (and China Shipping) be with all their products if they had export their stuff through rivers going through Korea and Japan or vice versa. That's my point, I think if there was an Igbo country it could do well, but I think access to the sea, especially being so close, cannot be underestimated especially with the powerhouses that is Aba and Onitsha.

Please refer to my previous post on page 1 about international waters and what a nation can or cannot do.

Also because of Global warming and rising sea levels, it doesn't make long term economic sense to build a port or a coastal city for that matter very close to the sea (In my opinion).

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by ezeagu(m): 12:26am On Sep 27, 2015
Deltagiant:

Ezeagu, I'm not so sure you're informed about this port https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_of_New_Orleans

I repeat, most of what we call 'seaports' were actually built on bodies of water - rivers, lagoons, lakes etc with access to the sea.

It's in the same area. Anyway, my point was more to do with where the passage passes.
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Kagawa10: 2:41am On Sep 27, 2015
zendy:

Ijaw land? Nobody owned that land, that's why king Jaja could take it. I regard them as Opobo Igbos because Opobo was founded by an Igbo man. Of course, it is for them to them to decide who they are but I have heard that the main language of the Opobo people is Igbo
Lol!
The people there are irrelevant, only the one time king is?
Yeye thieves!
No be only ibo language, hausa join am!
Bunch of losers!

2 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Nobody: 2:56am On Sep 27, 2015
NAIJASOM:

The simple answer to your question is "NONE" BUT you need to understand first of all, that South-East only make up 3/5 of Igbo land. The rest were merged into the south-south during state creation after the Civil War.
There are indigenous Igbos on Delta, Rivers, Akwa ibom, Cross river, Benue, and Edo.

The point I am trying to make is that Even If south east Igbos are the only ones to break away from Nigeria, they will still have access to the sea even if the river goes through a Non-South-east territory. The reason is because If a body of water is shared between two nations, that river is an International water. Blocking that river is an Act of war according to the United Nations.

Seconded.

4 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by OfoIgbo: 4:33am On Sep 27, 2015
emmatok:

To the educated one.

A landlocked state or country is a sovereign state entirely enclosed by land, or whose only coastlines lie on closed seas.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landlocked_country

Tell us which SE States does not fit into the bold.

You have forgotten one major fact. Igboland is not all entirely within the 5 southeast states. By the time we start adding Igbo LGAs in Delta and Rivers state, your question will be adequately answered, much to your chagrin grin

2 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by OfoIgbo: 4:38am On Sep 27, 2015
Deltagiant:

But the theme of the discussion is Igboland (Igbo cultural area) and not the current Hausa Fulani created South East states.

Could you people, for once, discuss like a people who went to school, at least?

You are very correct. This is about Igboland and not about the Southeast.

There was no referendum to decide the extent of the SE as was the case with Midwest. SE was entirely the creation of anti-Igbo people, led by Gowon

Fortunately, Igboland extends beyond the SE

3 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by OfoIgbo: 4:44am On Sep 27, 2015
emmatok:

Well look at it this way,

The coastal areas belongs to the SS, why the river is shared between the SE and SS.

If those two regions are different countries.

The SE will have a treaty with the SS to use the Sea.

Because there will be defined boarders(land,aqautic and air) for each country.

SS can't just allow ships from the Atlantic ocean into their country, going to the SE.

No country just with her coastal areas.

Well, that will depend on where Opobo ends up. If Opobo goes with the SE, then SE will not need any treaties to bring in ships right into the heart of the SE

3 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by OfoIgbo: 4:46am On Sep 27, 2015
emmatok:

We are discussing based on the 5 SE States having access to the Sea.

Understand the discussions before jumping in.

You are in need of understanding the topic before jumping in. The topic of this thread clearly refers to IGBOLAND, but here you are, limiting it to just the SE

3 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by OfoIgbo: 5:04am On Sep 27, 2015
NAIJASOM:

I guess your comment s is solely based on who you consider to be Igbo or not. In that case the Ikwere and Opobo people may not be considered Igbos to you. If thats what you mean, I totally understand. Blame Nigerian politics for that.

BUT opobo town, founded by an Igbo Man from present day Imo state is the lowest costal city in Nigeria. They have (to my knowledge) never denied their Igboness.

Opobo Igbo speakers are heavily assertive of their Igboness. That fact I know firsthand. It is even more of a sure banker than the Ikwerre angle

3 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by OfoIgbo: 5:10am On Sep 27, 2015
Armaggedon:
the ijaw is just a small part that came about as a result of expansion

I suspect he means Okrikans who are clearly Ijoid. Definitely, Okrika has a stake in a few PH territories

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by OfoIgbo: 5:19am On Sep 27, 2015
Drchristian:

never say nobody own a land, same thing u diabolical set of peple said abt lagos.

d igbos r not native to ijawland. thet evaded it like they did to south west

I read somewhere that Opoboland used to belong to the Ibibios and used to be a part of Ikot Abasi or something like that.
I also read somewhere else, but this was written recently, that it used to belong to Andoni.
With these two claims it is now difficult to know who initially owned that territory.

Anyway, the bottomline is that Jaja secured it. And his descendants have been ruling the place till date. Even though most of them speak Igbo, tbey have a hybrid culture that borrows a lot from the Ibanis and Igbos.

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Akell(m): 5:27am On Sep 27, 2015
zendy:

Ijaw land? Nobody owned that land, that's why king Jaja could take it. I regard them as Opobo Igbos because Opobo was founded by an Igbo man. Of course, it is for them to them to decide who they are but I have heard that the main language of the Opobo people is Igbo

These Igbos sha. They are power drunk and opportunistic set of people. Same way they said Lagos is a no man's land. Rogues of the highest order. Now, Opobo is a no man's lan again. Tomorrow, they'll say kano or Kaduna is a no man's land. Disillusioned set of bigots.

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by FKO81(m): 5:28am On Sep 27, 2015
Opobo–Nkoro (also spelled Opobo/Nkoro) is a Local Government Area in Rivers State, Nigeria. It is part of the Andoni/Opobo/nkoro constituency of the Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Rivers. The capital is Opobo Town.[1]

The Opobo–Nkoro people are mainly farmers and fishermen.They are of Igbo extraction. They speak Igbo language. Just like the neighbouring Bonny, founded by Ndokis of Azuogu, slaves from the hinterland transformed the demography of the area when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Ijaws who came in as porters also settled there and the Igbo language was adopted. Although, there are no indigenous Ijaw communities there, most Ijaw migrants and porters have fully been integrated into the original indigenous Igbo communities.

Pro-Natura International Nigeria has been assisting in community-led development in the LGA.[2]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opobo/Nkoro
Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by zuchyblink(m): 5:44am On Sep 27, 2015
Akell:

These Igbos sha. They are power drunk and opportunistic set of people. Same way they said Lagos is a no man's land. Rogues of the highest order. Now, Opobo is a no man's lan again. Tomorrow, they'll say kano or Kaduna is a no man's land. Disillusioned set of bigots.
all these rubbish u put up here does not remove the fact that Opobo was founded by an Imo man(first settlers) and automatically makes it an igboland. Even till now,they inhabitants speak igbo and have igbo culture. Opobo is nearer to abia than rivers state. It was ceded to rivers state to make SE to look landlocked. Opobo people trade and inter-marry with abians more than their folks in Rivers state.

7 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by FKO81(m): 6:25am On Sep 27, 2015
With the wisdom of an elder admonishing his children in parables, Professor Chinua Achebe yesterday spoke to the Igbo nation, using proverbs to challenge them on the issue of unity and development.

Achebe arrived at the Owerri Cenotaph, venue of the lecture, on his wheel chair in company of Governor Ikedi Ohakim of Imo State at about 12.50p.m, and chose his characteristic narrative style to lecture the Igbo on “Igbo Intellectualism and Development,” pointing out how they can benefit immensely from creativity.

He noted essentially that his classic book, “Things Fall Apart,” as a story of his people, actually tasked them on their creative ingenuity, stating the need for Igbo to look inwards for solutions to a myriad of problems confronting them.

Achebe, who occupied a central position as guest lecturer for the 2009 Ahiajoku lecture, said he was glad to heed the call of the five governors of the Igbo speaking states, who invited him, and reasoned that the vision of Ahiajoku was synonymous with the celebration of “Things Fall Apart,” a novel which he wrote 50 years ago, but which typifies the joy and happiness of the entire Igbo nation.
The literary giant described “Things Fall Apart” as a celebration of the Igbo worldview and urged his kinsmen to consider such a celebration as priority.

He lectured that there is joy and happiness in the lives of the people, which they must celebrate, adding: “I want us to celebrate our lives through our stories, because our stories can’t celebrate themselves…we have a responsibility to make our stories known.”

Professor Achebe also recalled that when he started writing “Things Fall Apart” in the 1950s, it was a personal obsession which sought to put the story of his people correctly, especially as others decided to write the story wrongly.

He explained further that there was no man or a people without stories, hence people, particularly, the youths must learn how to document the stories of their ancestors.

Achebe, who chose to heed the African maxim, “proverbs are like oil with which elders eat words,” also cautioned Igbo on commitment to the work at hand, adding that there was no short cut to success other than hard work and creativity.

The literary icon cited the stories of creation from Igboland, Fulaniland and the Bible to illustrate the essence of creativity and concluded that throughout the world, there is a fascination for creation stories, which depict how human beings were made and were created.

He cited similarities between the Ahiajoku and the Ibiejoku in his hometown, Ogidi, noting that the latter has a creation story, which celebrates an ancient farmer, who is reputed for cultivating yam in a special way.

Yam, according to Achebe, is considered king of crops in Igboland, owing to the myths and stories surrounding it.

In his address, Governor Ikedi Ohakim, chief host of the Ahiajoku lecture, commended Achebe for his outstanding literary works, including “Things Fall Apart,” which tells the story of the Igbo nation to the outside world.

According to him, Achebe was a pacesetter for other literary icons, such as the late Cyprian Ekwensi, Elechi Amadi, Chukwuemeka Ike, Ben Okri, among many others, adding: “The world celebrates you because you gave it a profound story, but we celebrate you because you told our story in ‘Things Fall Apart.’”
[b][/b]
Also Professor Chike Edozien, chairman of the occasion, observed that Achebe has brought to Igbo honour and recognition as a result of his achievements.
Edozien, who is the traditional ruler of the Asaba kingdom (the Asagba of Asaba), said: “I am particularly happy to receive Prof Achebe. We all should appreciate him for what he is and for all what he has achieved which have brought honour to Ndigbo.”

The monarch stated that one of the ways of promoting the Igbo unity would be through the creation of additional states from the Igbo speaking states, adding that the Igbo should seek regional autonomy within the context of one Nigeria.

To ensure Igbo unity, Edozien said that the apex Igbo socio-cultural organisation, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo leadership should be given the necessary assistance to operate, calling on the South East governors to make annual subventions to the organisation.

Among dignitaries on the occasion were Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State; Minister of Information and Communication, Prof. Dora Akunyili; Minister of State, FCT, Chief Chuka Odum; Senator Chris Anyanwu, Senator Arthur Nzeribe, former Minister of Information and Culture, Dr Walter Ofonagoro; former Governor of Anambra State, Dr Chris Ngige and former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Major Gen, Ike Nwachukwu (retd).

Others are Senator Osita Izunaso; former Education Minister, Ikechukwu Madudike; former Minister of Health, Prof. A. B. C Nwosu; Professor Pat Utomi of the Lagos Business School, the Catholic Bishop of Owerri, Most Rev Anthony Obinna, Ohanaeze Ndigbo President general, Amb. Ralph Uwachue and former Ohanaeze president general, Dozie Ikedife.

Yet others are Prof Adiele Afigbo, Prof Catherine Acholonu, Prof Michael Echeruo, Prof Ernest Emenyeonu, Prof Chidi Ibe, Prof Anthony Anuka, Prof Emmanuel Iheagwan, Prof Green Nwankwo, Chief Chris Asoluka, Chief Hope Uzodinma and King Jaja of Opobo.
To our enemies when the time comes then you will understand that Igbos are more than the political Igbos Hausa/Fulani and Yoruba thought, blood is thicker than water.

4 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by Omololu007(m): 6:44am On Sep 27, 2015
zuchyblink:
before the advent of Nigeria,Igbos and Ijaws fished together,inter-married share similar culture etc. And they have been living together till today(as in the case of opobo and bonny)
Do u know that an Igbo man founded opobo? What makes you a native of place? The place ur forefathers dwelled
go and cure your ignorance about opobo on wikipedia...adaka boro declare a republic of the Niger delta during the first republic because he believed they wia been marginalised by the ibos in the eastern region

1 Like

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by zuchyblink(m): 6:54am On Sep 27, 2015
Opobo–Nkoro (also spelled Opobo/Nkoro) is a Local Government Area in Rivers State, Nigeria. It is part of the Andoni/Opobo/ nkoro constituency of the Nigerian National Assembly delegation from Rivers. The capital is Opobo Town.[1] The Opobo–Nkoro people are mainly farmers and fishermen.They are of Igbo extraction. They speak Igbo language. Just like the neighbouring Bonny, founded by Ndokis of Azuogu, slaves from the hinterland transformed the demography of the area when the Transatlantic Slave Trade was abolished. Ijaws who came in as porters also settled there and the Igbo language was adopted. Although, there are no indigenous Ijaw communities there, most Ijaw migrants and porters have fully been integrated into the original indigenous Igbo communities. Pro-Natura International Nigeria has been assisting in community-led development in the LGA.[2] https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opobo/ Nkoro

2 Likes

Re: Question: Is Igboland Landlocked? by zuchyblink(m): 6:56am On Sep 27, 2015
Omololu007:
go and cure your ignorance about opobo on wikipedia...adaka boro declare a republic of the Niger delta during the first republic because he believed they wia been marginalised by the ibos in the eastern region
what are u talking about? Wikipedia recognizes Opobo people as people of Igbo extraction,it has nothing to do with what Adaka Boro did.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Buhari And President Xi Jinping In A Bilateral Meeting In China. / Onnoghen, A Clog In The Wheel Of Justice- MURIC Attacks CJN / New Minimum Wage: NLC Prepares For Showdown With State Governors Dec 31

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.