Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,867 members, 7,798,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 11:53 AM

Advised Against Honda Accord.... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Advised Against Honda Accord.... (20545 Views)

Hit And Run Driver Advised To Report Voluntarily To Ajah Police Station (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Advised Against Honda Accord.... by ife01(m): 12:18pm On Sep 26, 2015
I'm wondering why people usually advise one not to get Honda Accord cars - reason is usually because of 'leg' problems.

I will appreciate enlightenment on what the issues are exactly... I see quite a number of Honda ads here on Nairaland, while tempting and interesting, I also don't want to be a victim of "I told you."

Advice please.
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by abatically(m): 12:38pm On Sep 26, 2015
Nothing wrong with Honda. Just do ur routine maintenance, most people with leg pulling problems are just careless. Before a honda leg can pull, it will definitely give u some signs. But some people will keep driving the car even with weird sound on the suspension area, they will drive until the leg comes off.

Also when buying parts like CV joints, try as much as possible to get geunine ones. Never use take CV joints for Honda as u might get disappointed. If u can't get genuine ones, then try to change them every 6 months whether they come off or not. My own has been there for 2 and half years now still going strong never come off.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by micklplus(m): 8:19pm On Sep 26, 2015
There's nothing wrong with Honda.
The joint pull is as a result of neglect on the part of the owner.
Most people have unrealistic expectations from various cars. Honda is Honda. Toyota is Toyota. Benz is Benz and they mustn't be compared.

Honda is a sweet car and I am on my 5th Honda now.
Cheers

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by Lagusta(m): 11:16am On Sep 27, 2015
I have always loved Honda cars, and my present Honda makes me smile everyday....

I once had an issue with one of the wheels; I started hearing a clicking-clocking sound, and I knew it was the joint...

That same day, I drove it down to my kazeem (don't blame me, no qualified auto-mech in ogbomoso) and changed the failing CV joint immediately....

After a few weeks, I travelled down to Lagos with no issues whatsoever....

The choice is still yours anyway

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by andresia(m): 2:24pm On Sep 27, 2015
abatically:
Nothing wrong with Honda. Just do ur routine maintenance, most people with leg pulling problems are just careless. Before a honda leg can pull, it will definitely give u some signs. But some people will keep driving the car even with weird sound on the suspension area, they will drive until the leg comes off.

Also when buying parts like CV joints, try as much as possible to get geunine ones. Never use take CV joints for Honda as u might get disappointed. If u can't get genuine ones, then try to change them every 6 months whether they come off or not. My own has been there for 2 and half years now still going strong never come off.

pls what is CV joint?
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by abatically(m): 2:42pm On Sep 27, 2015

7 Likes

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by PrinceDave001(m): 4:22pm On Sep 27, 2015
please can someone educate me broadly about the signs ball joints gives before it pulls out......I have been using my Honda accord for two years and it has never pulled out but whenever I see one on the road I get confused.
op,Honda is a sweet car to drive,nice interior, power,speed and road presence.

7 Likes

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by IshiaguGuy: 9:55am On Sep 28, 2015
does 2008,2009 have this same issue as well
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by koboko69: 11:28am On Sep 28, 2015
IshiaguGuy:
does 2008,2009 have this same issue as well

I harldy see 2008 2009 have the issues. Its more common with eod, baby boy. But I have one smally...in her early 20s....she gave me to help her fix the "many probs" of her 08 honda. The leg pulled while I was the one driving but I know its cos of the owner. Even while driving it...I knew the car was suffering from many diseases. Asides hers.....have not seen any other.

5 Likes

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by Piyke: 9:14pm On Sep 28, 2015
PrinceDave001:
please can someone educate me broadly about the signs ball joints gives before it pulls out......I have been using my Honda accord for two years and it has never pulled out but whenever I see one on the road I get confused.
op,Honda is a sweet car to drive,nice interior, power,speed and road presence.

A failing lower arm ball joint (commonest culprit of the leg-pull thing) has its signs which include; a creaking sound from the affected wheel when the steering wheel is turned to either side. This sound is different from the sound of a failing shaft, it's quite similar to the sound that comes from the rusted hinges of a large door being forced open. Again, the sound may be intermittent i.e. it may surface after driving for a while and disappear after the car is parked for sometime.
These were the signs I noted before I changed mine. I caught it on time and did the replacement (it never pulled). When the defective part was removed the right side had a gap (there should be no gap). If you practice preventive maintenance, your car will respect you and be in top shape. If you do not mind you can catch more content on my blog: www.diyautoworksng.com; where I detail my DIY repair procedures and offer maintenance advice! Still rocking my 03 Accord with over 200k miles and going strong!

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by billy187(m): 1:30am On Sep 29, 2015
As for this, i will comment. I've lived in neighbourhoods with folks that mostly owned Hondas... I've never, ever seen this 'leg-pulling' thing that seems so popular for some reason. Trans problems? yes' but NEVER 'leg pulling!' The only 'joint' issues ive noticed were with german cars (vws especially)

I think its a stereotypical belief- like American cars being unreliable and german cars being speed demons.
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by lonelydora: 9:45am On Sep 29, 2015
4 years plus driving an Accord and no leg pull issue. I always listen to noise

5 Likes

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by bzion1: 10:47am On Sep 29, 2015
ife01:
I'm wondering why people usually advise one not to get Honda Accord cars - reason is usually because of 'leg' problems.

I will appreciate enlightenment on what the issues are exactly... I see quite a number of Honda ads here on Nairaland, while tempting and interesting, I also don't want to be a victim of "I told you."

Advice please.
Is this my man Dr. Ini ife?
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by eherbal(m): 11:57am On Sep 29, 2015
Exactly what my Honda Bullet is experiencing Right Now. Thanks for the insight sir smiley
Piyke:

A failing lower arm ball joint (commonest culprit of the leg-pull thing) has its signs which include; a creaking sound from the affected wheel when the steering wheel is turned to either side. This sound is different from the sound of a failing shaft, it's quite similar to the sound that comes from the rusted hinges of a large door being forced open. Again, the sound may be intermittent i.e. it may surface after driving for a while and disappear after the car is parked for sometime.
These were the signs I noted before I changed mine. I caught it on time and did the replacement (it never pulled). When the defective part was removed the right side had a gap (there should be no gap). If you practice preventive maintenance, your car will respect you and be in top shape. If you do not mind you can catch more content on my blog: www.diyautoworksng.com; where I detail my DIY repair procedures and offer maintenance advice! Still rocking my 03 Accord with over 200k miles and going strong!

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by IshiaguGuy: 11:58am On Sep 29, 2015
@koboko69: thanks so much

I harldy see 2008 2009 have the issues. Its more common with eod, baby boy. But I have one smally...in her early 20s....she gave me to help her fix the "many probs" of her 08 honda. The leg pulled while I was the one driving but I know its cos of the owner. Even while driving it...I knew the car was suffering from many diseases. Asides hers.....have not seen any other.[/quote]
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by koboko69: 12:34pm On Sep 29, 2015
billy187:
As for this, i will comment. I've lived in neighbourhoods with folks that mostly owned Hondas... I've never, ever seen this 'leg-pulling' thing that seems so popular for some reason. Trans problems? yes' but NEVER 'leg pulling!' The only 'joint' issues ive noticed were with german cars (vws especially)

I think its a stereotypical belief- like American cars being unreliable and german cars being speed demons.

Even the trans problem have to do with people using the wrong fluid. If you use the correct fluid.....and listen carry out maintenance regularly there will be no p with the honda. I just love Honda luxurious interiors. ...more fun to drive that a toyota.
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by ife01(m): 2:09pm On Sep 29, 2015
Nope smiley This is Dr. Ife without the Ini
bzion1:
Is this my man Dr. Ini ife?
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by bzion1: 8:36pm On Sep 29, 2015
ife01:
Nope smiley This is Dr. Ife without the Ini
alryt....
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by billy187(m): 9:03pm On Sep 29, 2015
koboko69:

Even the trans problem have to do with people using the wrong fluid. If you use the correct fluid.....and listen carry out maintenance regularly there will be no p with the honda. I just love Honda luxurious interiors. ...more fun to drive that a toyota.

I think the early 2000 hondas actually had trans problems, especially the odyssey( http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Odyssey/2002/) and the accord (http://www.carcomplaints.com/Honda/Accord/2002/). I lived in the suburbs and these were the standard means of getting around then.

I definitely agree with the 'hondas are awesome factor'. Funny thing, I have a serious crush on the '05-09' odyssey and the accord known in nigeria as the ' discussion continues'. I dunno why I like a minivan that much, but ahh well........ grin

1 Like

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by Piyke: 2:36am On Oct 01, 2015
eherbal:
Exactly what my Honda Bullet is experiencing Right Now. Thanks for the insight sir smiley

You're welcome. Hope you fix ASAP.
Funny thing is I saw a Chyrsler 300 today and from 20 feet away I could hear the classic sound as the guy turned the steering! The Car looked abused and beaten.
A lot of people simply don't fix early signs or do preventive maintenance.

2 Likes

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by eherbal(m): 9:57am On Oct 01, 2015
The Ball Joints Were taken out yesterday for replacement .They were badly worn. It couldn't be fixed cause it was getting late into the night.Thanks Bro
Piyke:

You're welcome. Hope you fix ASAP.
Funny thing is I saw a Chyrsler 300 today and from 20 feet away I could hear the classic sound as the guy turned the steering! The Car looked abused and beaten.
A lot of people simply don't fix early signs or do preventive maintenance.
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by Nobody: 12:41pm On Oct 01, 2015
ife01:

Advice please.
Bros i have been driving Honda cars for the past 9years but i have never had that problem before.
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by REDDEVILS1(m): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2016
micklplus:
There's nothing wrong with Honda.
The joint pull is as a result of neglect on the part of the owner.
Most people have unrealistic expectations from various cars. Honda is Honda. Toyota is Toyota. Benz is Benz and they mustn't be compared.

Honda is a sweet car and I am on my 5th Honda now.
Cheers
boss you are obviously experienced on Honda. I intend getting 1 soon, plus advise me on the maintenance. How long do I need to be changing my ball joints cost I live in an area with terrible road that is hilly too. Thanks
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by micklplus(m): 5:44pm On Aug 26, 2016
REDDEVILS1:
boss you are obviously experienced on Honda. I intend getting 1 soon, plus advise me on the maintenance. How long do I need to be changing my ball joints cost I live in an area with terrible road that is hilly too. Thanks

Depending on the type of Ball Joint you are buying.

Buy China, at least 8 months
Buy Taiwan, it should take you about 18 months

Buy the OEM standard, it should do at least 24 months. Some tokunbo Ball Joints are also very good too

Check the ball joint from time to time and believe me, you are good to go.

I just got another Honda in June, 2016

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by REDDEVILS1(m): 6:38pm On Aug 26, 2016
micklplus:

Depending on the type of Ball Joint you are buying.

Buy China, at least 8 months
Buy Taiwan, it should take you about 18 months

Buy the OEM standard, it should do at least 24 months. Some tokunbo Ball Joints are also very good too

Check the ball joint from time to time and believe me, you are good to go.

I just got another Honda in June, 2016
congrats on the new ride. Is there any other maintenance tips I should know?
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by micklplus(m): 4:52pm On Aug 27, 2016
REDDEVILS1:
congrats on the new ride. Is there any other maintenance tips I should know?

Nothing much beyond the routinal maintenance.
Avoid bad mechanics, get a competent engineers to work on your car. They are here on nairaland.

Use recommended grade of oil no matter what the road side mechanics say. Service as at when due and scan the car from time to time and believe me, you are good to go.

All the best. Cheers

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by REDDEVILS1(m): 5:10pm On Aug 27, 2016
micklplus:

Nothing much beyond the routinal maintenance.
Avoid bad mechanics, get a competent engineers to work on your car. They are here on nairaland.

Use recommended grade of oil no matter what the road side mechanics say. Service as at when due and scan the car from time to time and believe me, you are good to go.

All the best. Cheers
tnx man. So I should be budgeting change of ball joints every 7-8 months cos where I live, the road is very terrible in fact terrible is just the beginning. Pot holes and large stones everywhere. If it was rented I wouldn't dream living there
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by micklplus(m): 5:29pm On Aug 27, 2016
REDDEVILS1:
tnx man. So I should be budgeting change of ball joints every 7-8 months cos where I live, the road is very terrible in fact terrible is just the beginning. Pot holes and large stones everywhere. If it was rented I wouldn't dream living there

No matter how bad the road might be in your area, a good ball joint should serve atleast 12months. Check it regularly at 3 months interval

1 Like

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by REDDEVILS1(m): 6:04pm On Aug 27, 2016
micklplus:

No matter how bad the road might be in your area, a good ball joint should serve atleast 12months. Check it regularly at 3 months interval
how can it be checked
Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by micklplus(m): 10:31pm On Aug 27, 2016
REDDEVILS1:
how can it be checked

What I do is to Jack up the car, remove the tires and check.

1 Like

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by AdisaOwala: 3:35pm On Aug 28, 2016
It's funny how the "leg" issue is being emphasized when Honda is notorious for transmission failures that usually result in expensive repairs/replacements.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Advised Against Honda Accord.... by tadetobi: 11:21am On May 14, 2018
I just love the car #honda accord.. The car look good

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How To Steer Your Car (Images) / Advice On First Car To Buy / Must Car Tires Be Black?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.