Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,906 members, 7,802,936 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:16 AM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83563 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:55am On Apr 19, 2009
@spykedcylinder

Yeah, the bit about the title is really true. Indians found the title very degrading and threatened a mass shunning of the movie. But they later came around when success came with the name.
On the night of the Oscars, reported on CNN, native indians were glued and gathered around TVs and radios to catch the awards. And once the movie packed all the awards available, they jumped into the streets and celebrated the 'slumdog'.
Talks about the title has been quelled by all the success and attention the movie got.
They say success has many relatives. lol,

And yeah, I think those lil indian boys deserve more than they are getting. They deserve more than a night of glory in designer suits to attend the oscars. They deserve more of the attention Dev is getting.
Well, i dont really blame the media. The boys are still minors and they are largely still with their parents. I just hope they were paid handsomely, and the parents too. Cos the success of the movie should directly be seen in the lives of all involved.

1 Like

Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 2:40pm On Apr 19, 2009
Ok, I'd rate the movie a whooping 85%. smiley

@ Justkunmi, please, blame the media! You have a lot of American or British child actors that get accolades for acting brilliantly whether they are with their parents or not. Think of the now useless Lindsay Lohan in Parent Trap whose acting dare I say though good, was not even remotely close to the slumdog children. smiley
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:29pm On Apr 19, 2009
Yeah, Thats true. American child actors woulda been better celebrated.
Dakota Fanning (where's she sef?), the now retarded Lindsay Lohan,

Sad thing is, this mite be the only movie these boys ever appear in. Except there's another indian movie on playful poor indian boys thar would be this successful.
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 5:36pm On Apr 19, 2009
Dakotta Fanning was recently in The Secret Lives Of Bees with Queen Latifah, Jennifer Hudson, Sophie Okonedo and Alicia Keys. smiley
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 6:48pm On Apr 20, 2009
I wanna make a suggestion. Just before we start to review another movie. Why don't we collate the ratings of the posters and find an average and we can post it as our collective rating of the film. Justkunmi, I hope you don't mind this duty. You could modify your first post here to contain the fims and our ratings. What do y'all think?
Re: The Movie Club by bishoptboy(m): 8:32pm On Apr 20, 2009
I think this tread is cool. firstly no fighting and insulting each other because of variance of views.

I was a little indifferent over slumdog it was nice but not just my kind of film. The acting from the boys was nice. cameraworks was good and I believe it deserved the cinematography award.

The plot was nice but exceptional. I dont know why the movie won the best award but as for me i believe it shouldnt have won even though it was a nice movie.

what we should ask ourselves is that what did they do right that made the movie win best film. is it that it came at the right time (world's economic meltdown). It was a great escape for many.

I personally feel maybe its never really have a strong opposition (by the way i have not seen most of the nominated films cos they never showed in the cinema near me).
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:56pm On Apr 20, 2009
All good. What do you rate the film. 1 to 100. 100 being the best naturally
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 7:57am On Apr 21, 2009
bishoptboy:

I think this tread is cool. firstly no fighting and insulting each other because of variance of views.

Things are a tad different in TV/Movies. wink
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:38pm On Apr 21, 2009
@vescucci
Was going to do that exactly. Thanks.

@all posters
For the purpose of ratings and choosing new movies, post your own rating of the movie, and the movie you would like us to see and review next. This would help in giving a fair judgement of the movie in review and choose a new one.

For Slumdog Millionnaire.
Rating: 68%
Comment: Very good movie

Next Movie on review[b]: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. [/b]

Note. The above rating was an average of the individual ratings.
So if you want to affect ratings, rate the movie after commenting on it.

Also, the movie chosen was also gotten from posts. 3 movies were suggested but [b]'the Curious Case of Benjamin Button' [/b]had the highest nominations.

Thanks.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 1:32pm On Apr 21, 2009
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Directed by David Fincher

Produced by Kathleen Kennedy

Starring: Brad Pitt, Cate Blanchett, Taraji P. Henson, Julia Ormond, Tilda Swinton
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 6:21pm On Apr 21, 2009

I know some people had problems with relating this movie to reality.  I firmly put it in the realm of fantasy.
The visuals are stunning from aging Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett to capturing the feel (albeit not necessarily correct) the different eras as the main character grew.  There is an ethereal quality, almost melodic to how the scenes play out.
It is poignant and sad but ultimately, whatever age we are, it's more how much we grow regardless and that we all meet the same end.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 8:14pm On Apr 21, 2009
Curious case of Ben Button.
Yes, the movie was emotional and had great special effects, but I don't think it did a good job sticking to the theme it was supposed to have which was meant to be about Ben's aging backwards.
The greater part of it, infact, too much of it, was spent on showing Ben's physical aspects reverse to that of a child's, from an old man's, while he had the mind/thinking of a child and hardly any time was spent on the parts when he finally had the body of a child and was supposed to have the mind of an adult. Instead, his mind seemed to inexplicably also go back to being that of a child (there was a scene where he was playing with toys, probably bricks). So in the end, the whole 'age-reversal' idea of the movie was expressed only from one angle. That appeared to have been a missed opportunity. They could have been spent some considerable amount of time on giving viewers an idea of how it would be to have the experiences/wisdom of an old man and a child's body. But where that was supposed to be in the movie, they only showed what? Fifteen minutes? of the entire thing and even at that, there was almost nothing to indicate that Ben had an adult/matured mind.
Missed opportunity.
60%.
The end.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:02pm On Apr 21, 2009
Fellis, I totally understand your POV, but they explained that bit away as the kid losing his mind. While that is certainly plausible, (In fact the only possible outcome) iice astutely pointed out that this is fantasy. They could have pulled anything off and got away clean. Frankly I think it was a missed opportunity but the film would've become 4hrs had that been the case. Everything about the film was great, mostly. Cons next.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:09pm On Apr 21, 2009
My major problem with the film was the decision to cast Brad Pitt. He did a great job but Ben was so out of character for him that most people were carried away and busy scrutinising his features instead of paying attention to the film and its story. Also, while the film's idea (old drunk, Fitzgerald's) was good, take away the special effects (and Brad Pitt) and what you have is quite a bland film. Plus the film really could lose Ben's travels
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:11pm On Apr 21, 2009
In the end, people were more curious about Brad Pitt than they were Benjamin Button. I rate the movie 70% And, uh, iice, you have to rate the movie na. I enjoyed your review BTW
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:18pm On Apr 21, 2009
I forgot to mention. Taraji was awesome. Totally convincing
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 9:01am On Apr 22, 2009
vescucci:

In the end, people were more curious about Brad Pitt than they were Benjamin Button.

Ah ah! Mr Olawale! wink cheesy cheesy

@ topic

David Fincher’s third outing with Brad Pitt (after Se7en and Fight Club) is a truly curious affair. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a thought-provoking look at life’s journey, told in reverse, that operates on both a vast and intimate scale. Fincher’s film takes its time to unfold, over the course of almost three hours, but is such a fascinating journey that you probably won’t notice the time pass. It is emotionally engrossing, visually enchanting and boasts of some jaw-dropping special effects (particularly in regards to the ageing process of its two main stars) with plenty of twists and turns. It’s also supremely well acted with everyone from Pitt, Blanchett, Henson, Swinton and Jason Flemyng registering strongly in some way. It’s little wonder, in fact, that the film amassed so many Oscar nominations (13 in total).

However, by nature of its innovative plot device, the film enters some strangely uncomfortable territory the longer it persists. Pitt’s eventual “old age” finds him as a boy and the scenes between the young actor who plays Benjamin and the elderly Blanchett do have an icky quality about them. embarassed Hence, a film that should have ended on an emotional high is almost undone by the parameters of its storyline. While the framing device, involving Daisy’s time with her daughter (Ormond) provide the only moments when time stands still. Observations on old age, mortality and the nature of romance are also acutely observed, while there’s a keen sense of the passing of time, and the need to get on and live life while the opportunity allows.

I'd say hats off to a cinematic achievement by Fincher and rate this movie 65%. smiley
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 11:02am On Apr 22, 2009

One of the best stories I've seen in a while. The concept, the plot, the visual effects and directing is grade A.

The concept of the clock moving backwards and a man living his life backwards is so very beautiful. it just means that whichever way we choose our lives, either forward or backward, whatever choices we make is what shapes our life.

One of the beautiful things in the movie was the way they played around death. the inevitability of it. man must live, and at some point, age and die. just making it clearer that age and death are friends,  lol wink grin

I really think the movie deserved more awards than it got. Not sure about Brad Pitt winning though, but the movie shoulda won won Best Picture at the Oscars.

I'll rate the movie 75%.

and For the Pool, Atonement
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 4:11pm On Apr 22, 2009
I rate it 75% and for the pool, well what do you know? Atonement grin

Vesc, you are beginning to show
Re: The Movie Club by Sauron1: 4:16pm On Apr 22, 2009
spikedcylinder:

@ topic

David Fincher’s third outing with Brad Pitt (after Se7en and Fight Club) is a truly curious affair. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a thought-provoking look at life’s journey, told in reverse, that operates on both a vast and intimate scale. Fincher’s film takes its time to unfold, over the course of almost three hours, but is such a fascinating journey that you probably won’t notice the time pass. It is emotionally engrossing, visually enchanting and boasts of some jaw-dropping special effects (particularly in regards to the ageing process of its two main stars) with plenty of twists and turns. It’s also supremely well acted with everyone from Pitt, Blanchett, Henson, Swinton and Jason Flemyng registering strongly in some way. It’s little wonder, in fact, that the film amassed so many Oscar nominations (13 in total).

However, by nature of its innovative plot device, the film enters some strangely uncomfortable territory the longer it persists. Pitt’s eventual “old age” finds him as a boy and the scenes between the young actor who plays Benjamin and the elderly Blanchett do have an icky quality about them. embarassed Hence, a film that should have ended on an emotional high is almost undone by the parameters of its storyline. While the framing device, involving Daisy’s time with her daughter (Ormond) provide the only moments when time stands still. Observations on old age, mortality and the nature of romance are also acutely observed, while there’s a keen sense of the passing of time, and the need to get on and live life while the opportunity allows.

I'd say hats off to a cinematic achievement by Fincher and rate this movie 65%. smiley

I am going to recommend your ban from the Movie Club.
It seems you have never seen a bad movie all your life.
65%??
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 5:07pm On Apr 22, 2009
Lol. You should visit the other movie thread. I hate a lot of movies, they just haven't been mentioned yet. tongue
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 5:58pm On Apr 22, 2009
@Sauron. Ur review?

@Spike, Mrs. uhm uhm Spike.

@JK, I never see Atonement o but I'll seek it out, my review might come late.
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 3:28pm On Apr 23, 2009
I have not seen Atonement but I think James McCavoy looks like a sad poodle. grin grin
Re: The Movie Club by buddybolto: 4:25pm On Apr 23, 2009
it wasn't that good of a movie, a slow one to be honest,
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:54pm On Apr 23, 2009
@vescucci and spiked

I just suggested Atonement for us to see and review next. Suggest a movie you want us to review next, then we choose the movie either by votes or by highest number of nomination,

So drop a movie into the pool.

And if a movie you havent seen is chosen, you'll have to go see it so you can comment on it. And that exactly is the purpose for this thread.
Suggest a movie, go see it, then come here to review,

Waiting for your movie suggestions.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:35am On Apr 24, 2009
. . .and OMG that baby was ugly!!! wink
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 7:57pm On Apr 24, 2009
justkunmi:

. . .and OMG that baby was ugly!!! wink
Spectacularly so. grin

spikedcylinder:

I have not seen Atonement but I think James McCavoy looks like a sad poodle. grin grin
Not a McCavoy fan.He sucked in Wanted. Action figure wannabe. But see Atonement. It's fantastic.Keep in mind there's a portion where reality ends and the girl's fantasies of an alternate ending takes over. It's so subtle you won't know when, but keep in mind she's a writer and she's young and so everything will be exaggerated, and you'll know when. Great,great movie. Nominated for a Best Picture Oscar,and most deserving.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 11:41am On Apr 25, 2009
Ahoy. I was gonna invite you down here but it seems your prescience is sharp enough. Review and rate our movies if time permits you. Or you can just rate, period.
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 7:55am On Apr 30, 2009
Max that's a spoiler! angry

JK? Wetin dey hapun? undecided
Re: The Movie Club by MadMax1(f): 9:28am On Apr 30, 2009
It's a spoiler? Not, um,er, a hint?
Re: The Movie Club by spikedcylinder: 1:00pm On Apr 30, 2009
What the new movie in the pool?
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 4:10pm On Apr 30, 2009
Mad_Max:

It's a spoiler? Not, um,er, a hint?

angry No lol. . .i've seen it but you shouldn't tell people the story abruptly shifts somewhere tongue

Spike i don't know oo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96) (Reply)

NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / K.brule And Khloe Disqualified From The Big Brother House (details) / BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.