Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,254 members, 7,807,874 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

The Movie Club - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / The Movie Club (83597 Views)

3 Idiots: Have You Seen The Movie? Please, Share Your Lessons! / NL Movie-Club: Summer 2011 Stakeout / The Movie "300" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Movie Club by Nwazo(m): 11:34am On May 15, 2009
vescucci:

Stop saying stuff like 'in my humble opinion' man. You gotta have more panache.

Dis guy wetin? which kine PAANAACHE, you think say I be Syndney Potier lol

I've seen a lot of flame wars started around hurrr, and I always try not to be a fire starter!

As per na inarned we dey use communicate on this thing, people like to use the anonymity associate with it to yan anyhow to other people! I try and respect everyone and yan accordingly, like how I would most likely yan with them If we were face to face, because that's how I roll tongue
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 11:54am On May 15, 2009
Revolutionary road has one of the best scores ever!!!!
Without it, the movie will not have the poignant sad feeling it had

I bow for Thomas Newman kiss kiss kiss

Thats all i came to say grin grin

Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 3:57pm On May 15, 2009
Mr. Nwazo, I ain't got bones to pick with you, man. If you wanna sound apologetic for your own opinions, fine. All I'm saying is, say stuff like you mean it, even if you're wrong. Shake on it?

Mrs. Batman, I thought you hated Revolutionary Road. Rate it so your true feelings come shining through.
Re: The Movie Club by Nwazo(m): 4:00pm On May 15, 2009
vescucci:

Mr. Nwazo, I ain't got bones to pick with you, man. If you wanna sound apologetic for your own opinions, fine. All I'm saying is, say stuff like you mean it, even if you're wrong. Shake on it?

A shake it is then good sir smiley
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 4:24pm On May 15, 2009
vescucci:

Mrs. Batman, I thought you hated Revolutionary Road. Rate it so your true feelings come shining through.
Didn't hate it. .  . Actually liked it, but it wasn't depressing enough for me. 
I just love the score.  .  .it's so depressing - it's bleeding wonderful cheesy

I rate it 82 grin

[s]and don't drag me here again. . .i'm on probation remember? tongue[/s]
Re: The Movie Club by boliatiepa: 5:54pm On May 15, 2009
I guess there must be something wrong with me. But wasn't TDK as you lot affectionately call it just a tad too long?

Ledger was good, but Bale was so wooden, he cut a good Keanu impression.

And my judgement was in no way clouded by my natural aversion to anything sci-fi. Infantile disorder is all it is to be honest.
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:46pm On May 15, 2009
Bloody hell! TDK isn't even sci-fi. Far out kick-ass tech stuff, yes, but it ain't sci-fi. Bale was quite wooden sometimes but so is Batman and I thought we were acting here. You should get hold of the comics, dude.

Anyway, I forgot to drop something for the pool. Speaking of which, JK, do we only suggest films we enjoyed or we can choose some that we didn't. Cuz I'm itching to have a go at The Spirit. If that isn't the case, I select Watchmen
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:47pm On May 15, 2009
Bloody hell! TDK isn't even sci-fi. Far out kick-ass tech stuff, yes, but it ain't sci-fi. Bale was quite wooden sometimes but so is Batman and I thought we were acting here. You should get hold of the comics, dude.

Anyway, I forgot to drop something for the pool. Speaking of which, JK, do we only suggest films we enjoyed or we can choose some that we didn't. Cuz I'm itching to have a go at The Spirit. If that isn't the case, I select Watchmen
Re: The Movie Club by Nwazo(m): 9:53pm On May 15, 2009
Watchmen was a good movie, but it fell pretty short of the awesomeness that was the graphic Novel. Still respect Synder's attempt to be as close to the source material as possible.
Re: The Movie Club by boliatiepa: 12:30am On May 16, 2009
Never knew there was a category for ''far out tech stuff''
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 12:49am On May 16, 2009
I'm getting bored here. Why do I contest a POV and people make it personal? A tip. Rules of engagement, if you will.

1. If you're gonna shoot, shoot but don't miss.

2. Quote correctly.

3. It generally helps if you're right

@Nwazo. I largely agree with your take on Watchmen but RR is still on review. Meanwhile rate RR and drop a movie for the pool.
Re: The Movie Club by boliatiepa: 12:55am On May 16, 2009
lol. . . .bruv, I was hardly shooting if at all.

okay, what category would you file the film under?

if you are bored nko, wetin be my own.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 12:46pm On May 17, 2009
Vesc
You and this your friend, lol

As iice said, The movie's score was so very beautiful. It gave it this easy sad feel. Twas nice.

Wld be back with my main review,

and vesc, you can suggest any movie. Good or bad, or just for the sheer purpose of tearing it apart. And in that regard, I suggest Angels and Demons. I'm rearing to have a go at that movie.
Re: The Movie Club by Aaoe: 10:41am On May 18, 2009
Angels & Demons here we go,
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 8:59am On May 19, 2009
all movies can be watched on this thread (all direct links given to watch online)

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-244544.0.html
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:35pm On May 19, 2009
Revolutionary Road was a good movie. Very practical, very realistic, very down to earth.
It tells the story of a typical couple trying to live the life even at very unrealistic costs.

I was amazed kate was ready to have an abortion jus so she could go to paris to start a life.
The lenghts she was ready to go was very scary that it ruined their lives.

Nice movie. But my question is, why did she have the abortion? Was is still cos so she could go to paris or cos of what the insane dude said about the unborn child?

I rate the movie 70%.
For the pool, i suggest Angels and Demons.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 9:55pm On May 19, 2009
justkunmi:

Nice movie. But my question is, why did she have the abortion? Was is still cos so she could go to paris or cos of what the insane dude said about the unborn child?

in my opinion, the reason she had the abortion was that she was lost. Frank had changed his mind because of that pregnancy,her "dream life" in Paris was gone (she needed it more than Frank),  she was crushed, felt let down by her him and last but not least, they didnt love each other any longer.
Franks word the day before were also part of it : "why didnt you get rid of it when you had the chance, cuz i wished to god that you had!!!!!!"

one strange thing is that we hardly saw their children!
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 1:39am On May 20, 2009
true.!
Also, remember when the insane dude told her ''i'm happy i wont be that child'' refering to the pregnancy.
and she even refered to their first child as a mistake. The second child happened so they can tell themselves the first wasnt a mistake, Imagine!

But what was in Paris that was so enticing to her? Because the way she pursued and longed for the move was too fierce.
I think it was more than just living the dream life. She was running from something. From herself, i think. She hates her life and wants something to make herself happy, thus, talking her husband into the move to Paris.
Re: The Movie Club by iice(f): 3:22am On May 20, 2009
It's a metaphor for discontentment and not wanting to be any more tied than she already was. . . the abortion i mean.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 7:44am On May 20, 2009
justkunmi:

But what was in Paris that was so enticing to her? Because the way she pursued and longed for the move was too fierce.
I think it was more than just living the dream life. She was running from something. From herself, i think. She hates her life and wants something to make herself happy, thus, talking her husband into the move to Paris.

when they were dating, she saw Franks army photos in Paris and asked him about it and he said: "I[b] am going back there the first chance i get. people are ALIVE there, not like here. I want to FEEL things, really feel them. how is that for an ambition[/b]?!" but then they got married had babies and all this dream died down
remember when they were driving back from the theater and had an argument, April said" just because you got me safely in this little trap, you think you can bully me into any little thing". so obviously, she felt trapped and unhappy with being a housewife and her failed acting career.

its obvious that Frank hated his job so their "seemingly" happy and perfect looking suburbia family lifestyle was just a front and they were in fact miserable, fighting all the time. Paris was suppose to bring back the fire in their heart and the happiness in their homes.
also one of the reason he decided to stay was the fact that he got the promotion and suddenly had a job that was exciting!!!!!!
Frank was living in the real world accepting its ups and downs while April suddenly started living in fantasy land and would not give it up, at any cost!
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 9:49am On May 20, 2009
Yeah, the whole Paris thing was Frank's idea. He was always dreaming of living there. I think his zest and hunger to live was one of the reasons April married him.

They got married, had babies, and soon after, the dream took the backseat. They became like everyother person. They lived a regular life, in a regular neighbourhood, did regular jobs, and once again they were just a regular couple afterall.
April resurrected the Paris idea just so she could feel alive. She talked Frank into it.

The plan was, April works, Frank sits at home!
Everybody they told their plan figured they were insane. The only person who seemed to relate with their idea was actually insane, lol.

Point is: Live the dream. Live the life. But dont kill yourself trying.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:10am On May 23, 2009
Revolutionary Road

Average rating. 78%
General comment. Good movie. Worth 2 hours of ur time.

Next movie. Angels and Demons.

Nb, angels and demons was chosen because its the only movie suggested more than once. And its a new flick. All our past reviews have been older movies.

Enjoy.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:31am On May 23, 2009
be back
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 3:35am On May 23, 2009
Angels and Demons. Based on a book by Dan Brown.

Directed by Ron Howard.

Screenplay written by David Koepp.

Starrs Tom Hanks, Ayelet Zurer, Ewan McGregor

Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 8:22am On May 24, 2009
I read the book a last year and was so impressed. Dan brown really showed alot of bravado and genius. it was a beautifully woven story of science vs religion.

Immediately i heard the movie was being made, i was so much looking forward to it.
Then I saw the movie last week.

As an independent movie, it was great. As an adaptation of the book, it was woeful!
The general idea was kept but the whole process, specific details and major actions were totally changed.
I noted a few very major changes in the movie.  These changes gave the movie a totally different idea from the book.

1. In the book, the antimatter was a secret research between Vittoria and her father. But in the movie, the whole of CERN was working on it. the secrecy of the existence of the antimatter was what made it even dangerous.

2. Where the hell was Kholer in the movie
A whole character as important as Kholer was totally removed. Why?

3. In the book, all the four kidnapped cardinals were killed but in the movie, Langdon saved one of them.

4. The assassin was killed by Langdon and Vittoria. They pushed him off the rail of the Illumination lair. But was killed by a car bomb in the movie.!!!

5. The carmalengo burnt himself infront of the whole people. But he killed himself inside the church in the movie.

6. The biggest and most important change was who became pope. In the book, Mortati, the most respected cardinal after the four kidnapped cardinals was made pope. But in the movie, Cardinal Baggio, the one Langdon saved became pope.

These changes were too important to be ignored. It changed the whole plot, meaning and relevence.
Wonder what was going through their minds writing those changes. To reduce the effect the movie would have on the credibility of the papcy? Or to 'help' the church?

Anyone else seen the movie?

I rate the movie 60%.

Tom Hanks did well anyway. Ewan McGregor was brilliant.
Re: The Movie Club by disturbed(m): 7:30am On May 27, 2009
@justkunmi
You just said my mind. I read the book just because the movie was to be released. The book was sooo good i knew the movie had no choice but to be very good.

All the changes you mentioned are very true. And the most annoying like you said was the pope issue. Why did they change that big a detail? Baggio died in the book but was saved in the movie, then became pope, Not nice for dose who read the book.

Many other things were changed. Like
1. Vittoria was kidnapped in the book but wasnt in the movie.
2. she and langdon met @ Cern but they met in Rome and got ther individually.
3. We never saw Vittoria's father and the illuminatti brand.
4. Langdon and the camalengo got into the helicopter together to destroy the antimatter in the book, but d priest did it alone in the movie,
5. No gunther glick, the news reporter that found out bout the dead cardinals in the book.
6. No fight between langdon and the assassin @ the fountain where the last cardinal was to be killed,

Alot of changes, negative effects.
I rate the movie 50%.
Was expecting alot more.

Lets review wolverine next.
Re: The Movie Club by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 27, 2009
i hated the "Da Vinci Code" movie [b]WITH A PASSION [/b]so i have stirred well away from that one.
Re: The Movie Club by rotimy(m): 7:38pm On May 27, 2009
Changes or no changes, I love the movie! It all about entertainment! It rocks
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 9:23am On May 28, 2009
I've not seen the movie yet and seriously I'm not sure if I will. I watched a few minutes of Da Vinci Code and decided the movie was for those that can't read a book and want a summary of a film. While I don't agree with most of you guys that a film necessarily should be similar to the book from which it's made, I agree that there are some details that shouldn't be tampered with especially when the book has got fans like me. There are things that can be changed to make a movie but it should be done with guile. For instance, if I was Howard, I would make the film stretch over a few days. In the book, all that happened from the call Langdon received in the morning till the end of the antimatter transpired in a day. A day! That's preposterous but it's a Dan Brown signature for all his books span a full day, round the clock. Without seeing the movie, I'd rate it 60%. People who have read the book should try to rate the movie independently and not compare it with the book. Speaking of independent, JK said this movie is an independent movie. Maybe I should add 5%. 65% it is then.

I'll try to see it after all.
Re: The Movie Club by justkunmi(m): 10:34am On May 28, 2009
@rotimy
Yeah, its.about.entertainment. . .But.the.changes.were.too.far.important. . .it.changed.the.whole.concept.of.the.story.

@vescucci
As.an.independent.movie, like.i.said.before. . .it.was.a.great.movie. The.acting.directing.production.and.all.the.props.were.on.point. Those.who.didnt.read.the.book.would.immensely.enjoy.the.movie.

But.as.an.adaptation.of.a.book. .it.was.drab. I.know.for.sure.that.no.book.can.be.exactly.adapted.into.a.movie. .but.the.changes.made.were.too.much.
A.character.dat.determined.the.outcome.of.a.story.was.totally.removed.from.the.movie. .Reasons.not.known.

Independently. .it.was.a.very.beautiful.movie. You.should.go.see.it.

NB:Did.you.read.the.book?
Re: The Movie Club by disturbed(m): 7:15pm On May 30, 2009
I agree with you, Justkunmi. Good movie, Bad adaptation.
Anyways, maybe the directors were tryin to reduce the impact on the church by hiding some details.

I enjoyed the movie sha.

Next movie please,
Re: The Movie Club by vescucci(m): 3:37pm On Jun 01, 2009
@JK, Of course, I've read the book. I've read all of Dan Brown's books. At least the ones I know of. Still haven't seen the film though. Been mighty busy

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (96) (Reply)

NTA Cartoons and programmes Of The 70s, 80s And 90s / K.brule And Khloe Disqualified From The Big Brother House (details) / BBNaija: Tacha Slays In Transparent Dress During Birthday Celebration

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.