Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,508 members, 7,808,861 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:11 PM

Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage (37283 Views)

The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / Make-Up Free Photo Of Ola Adeyemi, Alaafin Of Oyo's Wife, Shows Her Tribal Marks / In The 1930s, Igbo Men In Elaborate Hairstyles And Body Paint (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 27, 2015
tpiander:

Funny.

So folks should keep perambulating around the said Igbo guys until one of them pops the question.
cheesy
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 1:00pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

Tel that to marines
Guys on que Men in line
Why are you crying over Igbo dudes here

Plssss lol
..wow..your lack of comprehension is astounding
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

You see why i had to humble myself to give you a standing ovation? I knew you were going to do justice to his ignorance. wetin remain to add sef
... smiley
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 1:06pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

Don't mind that Igbo girl wannabes
undecided even for you this is dull..mtcheew
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by TerraCotta(m): 1:41pm On Sep 27, 2015
Aareonakakanfo:

You see why i had to humble myself to give you a standing ovation? I knew you were going to do justice to his ignorance. wetin remain to add sef

My guy, I appreciate the compliment but some of the reprehensible things I've read from you regarding Igbo people means that you're closer to BigFrancis in thought than you might like to admit. Bigotry is bigotry, whether we do it in retaliation or in offense, and we can't point out someone else's flaw if we refuse to examine our own first.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 1:45pm On Sep 27, 2015
TerraCotta:

My guy, I appreciate the compliment but some of the reprehensible things I've read from you regarding Igbo people means that you're closer to BigFrancis in thought than you might like to admit. Bigotry is bigotry, whether we do it in retaliation or in offense, and we can't point out someone else's flaw if we refuse to examine our own first.

Terracotta bad-mouthed me cry cry . As regards the emboldened, please where did i get it wrong

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 2:09pm On Sep 27, 2015
tpiander:

Interesting, funny she'd assume nobody would know she was half Igbo.

She was asked by her Yoruba fiance to hide from his parents that she was part Igbo during their first meeting so that thy would not reject her.

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by anonymous6(f): 2:22pm On Sep 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Love knows no colour and boundary and, often times, cases of inter-tribal love like this pop up, however the majority of love cases of the Igbo people still fall within the same ethnic group. Igbo people are encouraged to find love within their own - there are over 35 million of them. Finding love amongst that number should be easy.

I did not intend to feel superior in my post but was only giving you an inside view as seen from the lens of Igbo men and people in general. I must also add that feeling superior is only a thing of the mind. If you feel you are superior, so be it. Just once you don't lord it over other people. If feeling superior drives you to succeed, that's good.

Also, Yoruba men and Hausa men marry mostly from within their kind. I don't see why that of the Igbo should be any different

If I may ask, were you recently in love with an Igbo? What happened?

bigfrancis21:

Are you aware that Hausa men barely marry from outside the Hausa tribe? Does that make them bigots?

Are you aware that Yoruba men mostly marry Yorubas and even the few that have married Igbos, still went on to take on Yoruba spouses? Aren't they 'tribal bigots' by doing so?

Are you aware that white men marry mostly within their race? Does that make them racist?

Why should that of the Igbos be different? Why should Igbos be labelled 'tribal bigots' for choosing to marry their own? Why has happened to freedom to marry who one wants?

As a yoruba woman, you have one of the best statements on this thread

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tpiander: 2:30pm On Sep 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

She was asked by her Yoruba husband to hide from his parents that she was part Igbo during their first meeting so that thy would not reject her.

Yoruba fiance you mean. Have they married now?

Quite weird, sounds like one of these nairaland staged weddings we're always seeing.

Btw can you post the link to where you saw this on nairaland.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by anonymous6(f): 2:38pm On Sep 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

The only tribe who will have issues with living in the east is the Yoruba because they are hardly independent minded and enterprising enough to travel outside their region to survive. Also, many are discouraged by the tough competition that must be going on in the east, given the tough competition the Igbos are giving in Lagos and other SW states already. Then also, some Yorubas also carry so many false impressions about the Igbos or Igboland in general and hardly ever travel out to visit other areas, especially Igboland. Igboland is some mysterious Island, some unthinkable place where aliens live and land is scarce. cheesy Many Yoruba corpers who are posted to the east redeploy back to the west after camping, even when nobody is pursuing them. They redeploy just because they want to go back to their zone, where they feel comfortable in. On the other hand, Hausas, Ibibios etc have no issue at all migrating to the east to live. In the East, you'll find thousands, if not millions, of Hausas living and doing their businesses peacefully. Many of them have been allocated lands which they established their own community and some of them speak fluent Igbo.

The crux of the matter is that the average yoruba man feels insecure when he is outside of his own region. He doesn't feel comfortable when he is not in the midst of his own people. The ones that travel to the north happen to be muslims and fitting in in the north is not an issue for them. It is not an issue of not feeling comfortable in the east. Lots of non-Igbos are residing peacefully in the east.

interesting there are some truths to what you said but not all is correct, First of all the biggest reason Many Yoruba's don't venture out as you mentioned is because most Yoruba's tend to just feel comfortable in their own territory and don't really care as much to venture out at times not because they have fear of other tribes. However some do venture out and are fine, plus they are not having stiff competition in record numbers in their territory as you are saying. Their are some igbos doing business in Lagos but not big enough that it is beating the yoruba majority to scare them, also most other parts of yoruba land which OGUN, ODUN, OYO, OSUN, EKETI and etc, I never heard of anything of igbo's having stiff compettition against yoruba's in their own territory. The story I have heard is yoruba's having competition amongst themselves in their own territory when it comes to business and not against igbo's.

Also I would like to mention, that yes there are Hausa doing business in the East but it is not easy for Igbo's to do business in the North because there are some bigotry against igbo's from Hausa cause of their religion. I heard of a story of a igbo man that had to leave the north with his family and take his business cause the muslim hausa's physically asaulted him and didn't want him there, and his story is not the only case there have been many stories similar to that mans story, so lets be real
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by anonymous6(f): 2:41pm On Sep 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

I have a witness in the person of a half-yoruba half-igbo nairalander on this forum who personally narrated her ordeal in the hands of a Yoruba man she was dating.

Me to as well, I forgot her name but I think she made a thread about it

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by anonymous6(f): 2:47pm On Sep 27, 2015
TerraCotta:

This poster often makes these types of inane comments. He is not alone in being incurably addicted to ethnic stereotyping so there's not much point in engaging with him (although I'm grateful to others like Radoillo and Scholes who do God's work by replying!) I do have to correct some simplistic comments that I often see repeated by ignorant posters on Nairaland. Anyone who feels offended because they fit the bill of 'ignorance' may wish to look up the meaning of the word.

Yoruba entrepreneurs have lived and continue to live all over Nigeria and West Africa, in numbers rivaling if not outnumbering any other migrant groups. I'm not interested in score-settling with shallow-minded tribal chestbeaters but the facts are the facts and we have both anecdotal and empirical evidence to support this view. You will find Yoruba traders in every rural corner of northern and central Nigeria, and in a chain of communities stretching throughout West Africa up to the Ivory Coast. Entrepreneurial travel is a foundational aspect of Yoruba culture, as I've written here before. It's enshrined in the traditional religion through "Aje shaluga" and Olokun, and is well-presented in hundreds of proverbs, and in ancient and contemporary patterns of commerce. The market is still the locus of society in most rural settings, and cities built along traditional plans like Ibadan still demonstrate the central role of the market in Yoruba life. A brilliant, under-appreciated book on this theme was published in the early 1980s and is called "The Entrepreneur As Culture-Hero"--the author is Professor Bernard Belasco, formerly of the City University of New York. More recent books by Toyin Falola and Jane Guyer go further into Yoruba economic history and anthropology from the 19th century to the present.

Even further back in time, the economic development of Ile-Ife was most likely due to its trade in the luxury goods of the day (9th-14th century West Africa), which included the beaded jewelry, ivory and bronze/brass/copper-alloy artwork produced there: http://www.icom-cc.org/54/document/wg-glass-and-ceramics-interim-meeting-corning-2010--preprint-ige/?action=Site_Downloads_Downloadfile&id=1278
The city was wealthy enough to attract the attention of Muslim scholars like Ibn-Battuta, who is believed to have written about 14th-century Ife under the name "Yufi"--similar to the indigenous Ife-Ijesa and Okun-Ondo dialect version of the town name, "Ufe". There is some controversy about this record but it appears to be correct in calling Ife "one of the largest towns of the negroes, whose ruler is one of the most considerable of the negro rulers." As suggested by this record, Yoruba cultures have long placed an importance on living in primarily urban arrangements; they are considered one (if not the most) urbanized societies in Africa prior to colonization. Urbanization requires societies open to immigration, entrepreneurship, religious, linguistic and cultural mixing. To my mind, this tradition is strongly upheld in Yoruba culture and partially explain both the size and economic vitality of many Yoruba cities like Lagos and Ibadan.

Coming back to the revolting bigotry that pushes someone to say a group of 35 million people aren't "independent-minded and enterprising enough to travel outside their region to survive". The mindset that generates this type of simple-minded comment can't be cured by posting on the Internet, unfortunately. Thankfully, it can be partially relieved through reading and travel, so more facts:

Yoruba Traders in Cote D'Ivoire: http://www.ajol.info/index.php/afrrev/article/view/43614 (This was, until recently, the country with the highest per-capita GDP and living standards in West Africa)

The Yoruba Migrant Entrepreneur Experience in Ghana: http://www.imi.ox.ac.uk/events/amw-2008/papers/olaniyi.pdf and https://books.google.com.hk/books?id=IjlzSYnAKdQC&pg=PA217&lpg=PA217&dq=yoruba+ivory+ghana&source=bl&ots=fu3niM8Tif&sig=pkXGVgPr9-1yvmJHRPbG-i08KTE&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CDAQ6AEwCWoVChMIn-6-6qSWyAIVJCymCh0iAg64#v=onepage&q=yoruba%20ivory%20ghana&f=false

The Yoruba ethnonym "Anago" or "Nagot" is synonymous with "Nigerian" in both the Ivory Coast and Ghana, which suggests the significance of the Yoruba migrant population in both countries.

This is senseless, given the documented travel patterns above. If there were economic opportunities and societal openness rivaling Cote D'Ivoire and Ghana in the East, you would expect to see more migration there. Unlike some of the silly inferences I read on Nairaland, migrant labor does not move to new areas out of an altruistic need to "develop" a community. Migrant traders like the Yoruba in these countries, or in London, Dubai and so forth, go to these places because there are more economic opportunities than they would have at home. They are leaving to "strike it rich", not to perform philanthropy. It is a clear comment on the perceived inferior quality of Nigerian schools that students would rather attend university in Ghana and Malaysia (and of course the U.S. and U.K.) It may wound Nigerian pride to hear it, but that won't make it less true. Likewise, if Yoruba traders go to every other region and nation on Earth but avoid specific ones in large numbers, there is likely to be a straightforward explanation that doesn't require the tortured logic of the quoted statement.

Your claims are demonstrably false as shown above, since there are literally millions of Yoruba people living outside their region for three or more generations, at this point. They live in a wide variety of other communities inside and outside Nigeria. The more probable truth is that you and others who think and talk like you represent a strain of thought and lack of openness in your region that most Yoruba people would find unacceptable. Coming from cosmopolitan backgrounds where they are used to celebrating a variety of ethnic and religious backgrounds, they are unlikely to be attracted to that rudimentary approach to life and a general lack of courtesy and decorum. If there were some overriding economic reasons to live in the East, there would undoubtedly be many hardy migrants who are indifferent to these issues. For instance, there are Yoruba traders established in Hong Kong and Dubai, which are certainly more economically competitive and less culturally-familiar to them than Eastern Nigeria. The appeal is the economic opportunity that the first two choices offer and that the last appears to lack. Whether or not this lack of opportunity is true has little to do with my point that BigFrancis typifies a lack of cultural courtesy and decorum that many (if not most) Yoruba would find repellant.

Bigotry comes easily to the shallow-minded and inexperienced and it's tempting (but difficult) to ignore it if you have a nuanced and open-minded view of the world. Nairaland taught me a log time ago that engaging with dyed-in-the-wool bigots is a waste of time--they either grow out of their ignorance through their own efforts or inevitably face shame and correction from a source they admire and trust more than an anonymous internet poster. It is important to correct nonsense like the first quoted statement because impressionable readers who don't have a wider appetite for information might buy it.

Excellent response

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 3:09pm On Sep 27, 2015
anonymous6:

interesting there are some truths to what you said but not all is correct, First of all the biggest reason Many Yoruba's don't venture out as you mentioned is because most Yoruba's tend to just feel comfortable in their own territory and don't really care as much to venture out at times not because they have fear of other tribes. However some do venture out and are fine, plus they are not having stiff competition in record numbers in their territory as you are saying. Their are some igbos doing business in Lagos but not big enough that it is beating the yoruba majority to scare them, also most other parts of yoruba land which OGUN, ODUN, OYO, OSUN, EKETI and etc, I never heard of anything of igbo's having stiff compettition against yoruba's in their own territory. The story I have heard is yoruba's having competition amongst themselves in their own territory when it comes to business and not against igbo's.

Also I would like to mention, that yes there are Hausa doing business in the East but it is not easy for Igbo's to do business in the North because there are some bigotry against igbo's from Hausa cause of their religion. I heard of a story of a igbo man that had to leave the north with his family and take his business cause the muslim hausa's physically asaulted him and didn't want him there, so lets be real.

Thanks for your objective statements. Yea, Igbos do face religious attacks and crisis in the North but yet still beat the odds to go to the North in search of business opportunities. In the case of Yorubas, there aren't any heavy obstacles in the east preventing Yorubas from migrating to the East. Yorubas are almost absent in the east in almost all spheres of life - trade, education, NYSC etc.

In trade there are very few Yoruba traders trading in the east. The few ones willing to travel to the east have made the east their home, and are excelling in their trade. Competition is very stiff in the east and many Igbos find themselves migrating out to other zones where competition is much less than it is back home.

Asides trade, let us consider education. How many Yoruba would you find studying in the east? You can count the number of Yorubas who are studying in the east. It is not a matter of not enough schools in the east. There are tons of schools in the east - universities, colleges of education and polytechnics. A cursory look at the admission list of schools in the east reveals mostly easterners and Niger Deltans and very few Yorubas.

During my 3rd year in the University, there was this Yoruba guy who lived in the same hostel as me. That was his final year as he was graduating. One evening we met ourselves at a popular indomie eating joint close to the area called 'beach' in Nsukka. As we were eating we got talking. I asked him about his decision to come to the east and how it happened. He revealed to me that when he put UNN as first choice because he wanted to come to UNN to study, his parents yelled at him for deciding to go to the east because 'they eat human flesh there and they will kill you and eat you when you get there.' They warned him to change his option to a university in the SW. He refused and took his JAMB exam. Luckily for him, he got admission into UNN and moved to Nsukka to start his education. According to him, he had deep-seated beliefs too about the Igbos before he left the SW and that living in the east had taught him that the Igbos were human beings after all. He said lots of Yorubas, like his parents, carry a lot of false impressions about the Igbos and that he was grateful he came to the east which taught him a lot about the Igbos. He also mentioned that he loved the city of Enugu a lot for its serenity and beauty and wondered why it wasn't as populated as Lagos, which he described as rowdy and noisy.

When it comes to NYSC, lots of Yoruba corpers posted to the east redeploy back to the west after camping. I have met more Yoruba corpers who redeployed back to the west than those who remained in the east to complete their service. A Yoruba corper posted to Port-Harcourt revealed her own story when she received her posting letter that she had been posted to PH (which she considered as 'east' or Igboland anyway), her parents were very critical of her going to the east for service and planned for her that they would have her redeploy back to the west after camping because the east was too dangerous for her to live there. After 3 weeks in camp, this corper called her parents and insisted that she was going to complete her service in PH and that she liked the place. Her parents tried to discourage her but she insisted.

The only area you can find Yorubas in significant numbers in the east is in civil service, which was not out of their volition but because they were posted to the east.

The crux of the matter is Yorubas bear a lot of false deep-seated impressions about the Igbos or Igboland in general that they are hardly ever willing to consider living there. To think of the fact that there are other ethnic groups such as the Hausas, Ibibios, Binis/Esan etc. living in Igboland while there are hardly any Yorubas reveals the thought processes of the Yorubas regarding Igbos in general.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 3:20pm On Sep 27, 2015
macof:

And traveling outside your region en mass is show of independent mind Or troubles facing your region?

Americans, Lebanese, Indians etc. who come to Nigeria in record numbers to do business and invest are running away from the troubles facing their region huh?

Any entrepreneur or business-minded person will tell you that you take your product or business to where the market is. This is business 101. Your thought process tells a lot about you already, that you lack entrepreneurial thinking.

7 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by macof(m): 3:35pm On Sep 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks for your objective statements. Yea, Igbos do face religious attacks and crisis in the North but many are still willing enough to go to the North in search of business opportunities. Yorubas are almost absent in the east in almost all spheres of life - trade, education, NYSC etc.

In trade there are very few Yoruba traders trading in the east. The few ones willing to travel to the east have made the east their home, and are excelling in their trade. Competition is very stiff in the east and many Igbos find themselves migrating out to other zones where competition is much less than it is back home.

Asides trade, let us consider education. How many Yoruba would you find studying in the east? You can count the number of Yorubas who are studying in the east. It is not a matter of not enough schools in the east. There are tons of schools in the east - universities, colleges of education and polytechnics. A cursory look at the admission list of schools in the east reveals mostly easterners and Niger Deltans and very few Yorubas.

During my 3rd year in the University, there was this Yoruba guy who lived in the same hostel as me. That was his final year as he was graduating. One evening we met ourselves at a popular indomie eating joint close to the area called 'beach' in Nsukka. As we were eating we got talking. I asked him about his decision to come to the east and how it happened. He revealed to me that when he put UNN as first choice because he wanted to come to UNN to study, his parents yelled at him for deciding to go to the east because 'they eat human flesh there and they will kill you and eat you when you get there.' They warned him to change his option to a university in the SW. He refused and took his JAMB exam. Luckily for him, he got admission into UNN and moved to Nsukka to start his education. According to him, he had deep-seated beliefs too about the Igbos before he left the SW and that living in the east had taught him that the Igbos were human beings after all. He said lots of Yorubas, like his parents, carry a lot of false impressions about the Igbos and that he was grateful he came to the east which taught him a lot about the Igbos. He also mentioned that he loved the city of Enugu a lot for its serenity and beauty and wondered why it wasn't as populated as Lagos, which he described as rowdy and noisy.

When it comes to NYSC, lots of Yoruba corpers posted to the east redeploy back to the west after camping. I have met more Yoruba corpers who redeployed back to the west than those who remained in the east to complete their service. A Yoruba corper posted to Port-Harcourt revealed her own story when she received her posting letter that she had been posted to PH (which she considered as 'east' or Igboland anyway), her parents were very critical of her going to the east for service and planned for her that they would have her redeploy back to the west after camping because the east was too dangerous for her to live there. After 3 weeks in camp, this corper called her parents and insisted that she was going to complete her service in PH and that she liked the place. Her parents tried to discourage her but she insisted.

The only area you can find Yorubas in significant numbers in the east is in civil service, which was not out of their volition but because they were posted to the east.

The crux of the matter is Yorubas bear a lot of false deep-seated impressions about the Igbos or Igboland in general that they are hardly ever willing to consider living there. To think of the fact that there are other ethnic groups such as the Hausas, Ibibios, Binis/Esan etc. living in Igboland while there are hardly any Yorubas reveals the thought processes of the Yorubas regarding Igbos in general.

All these stories that cannot be verified are irrelevant on nairaland

Btw it is very easy to get posted out to a different location in the civil service...once you know someone in head of service
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by macof(m): 3:41pm On Sep 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Americans, Lebanese, Indians etc. who come to Nigeria in record numbers to do business and invest are running away from the troubles facing their region huh?

Any entrepreneur or business-minded person will tell you that you take your product or business to where the market is. This is business 101. Your thought process tells a lot about you already, that you lack entrepreneurial thinking.

grin grin most of these Lebanese, Americans and Indians are well established from their country and come to make profits from the booming markets in major nigerian cities. The same cannot be said of the Igbos who run to the SW to struggle with menial jobs or work as apprentice

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by anonymous6(f): 4:01pm On Sep 27, 2015
bigfrancis21:

Thanks for your objective statements. Yea, Igbos do face religious attacks and crisis in the North but many are still willing enough to go to the North in search of business opportunities. Yorubas are almost absent in the east in almost all spheres of life - trade, education, NYSC etc.

I never did corp or education in Nigeria, so I will answer based on what my relatives of have told me & my travels to Nigeria; When it comes to education & Corp, I Think the reason is because Yoruba parents are comfortable and prefer their children getting their education & corp in their region which is SW then traveling all the way to the East. However when it comes to corp, there are some points you mentioned that I would like to add as well, it is not only the east but other regions like far deep in the north that yoruba parents don't want their children going to but for the most part it is because of safety for example the religious fiasco of the north, so you will understand some Yoruba parents fear of letting their children go to some where far away that is not completely safe. However igbo parents have misconceptions of yoruba territory as well, so I don't think it is one sided.

I will add that tribes in Nigeria need to ease up on their misconceptions of one another in order for Nigeria to move forward smoothly

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 4:01pm On Sep 27, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..wow..your lack of comprehension is astounding

And your glossing about marrying Igbo is legendary

But we won't want

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 4:14pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

And your glossing about marrying Igbo is legendary

But we won't want
..so TonyChristopher you are up in my face and I now have acknowledged you to be a true Igbo son..thing is you are not my type..
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 4:31pm On Sep 27, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..so TonyChristopher you are up in my face and I now have acknowledged you to be a true Igbo son..thing is you are not my type..

Tufiakwa ...how can I be your type ?

Where we have divas in Igbo land

But why are you glossing about Igbo men not wanting you

Forget learning to cook Igbo food dear stick to banga and starch or maybe gbegiri ati amala

That's your calling

How was service today

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 4:36pm On Sep 27, 2015
This is the major reason most Igbos don't go for yoruba ladies and I am one of them, thank you for letting them know
bigfrancis21:

That's one good way to work your way into an Igbo guy's heart and is definitely a good step in the right direction. Make sure you perfect yourself in that such that no Adaobi or Adamma is better than you.

You'll also be open to learning the Igbo language as well. This is often another source of issues against Yoruba ladies as some of them, from experience, who had married Igbo guys were unwilling to learn and speak Igbo. Some of them try to subjugate the Igbo culture and raise the kids in the Yoruba culture only, forgetting that Nigeria is a paternalistic country and kids are by first and foremost identified with where their father is from. One would often wonder why they married an Igbo in the first place when they would not be open to the Igbo culture.

On the other hand, Igbo ladies married to Yoruba men tend to embrace their husband's culture more than the Yoruba ladies are willing to embrace their Igbo husband's culture.

4 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

Tufiakwa ...how can I be your type ?

Where we have divas in Igbo land

But why are you glossing about Igbo men not wanting you

Forget learning to cook Igbo food dear stick to banga and starch or maybe gbegiri ati amala

That's your calling

How was service today
like you just found your calling..stalking me..punk ass..sure you got divas,your drag queens lookalike that share the same body structures as your village wrestlers
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 4:44pm On Sep 27, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
like you just found your calling..stalking me..punk ass..sure you got divas,your drag queens lookalike that share the same body structures as your village wrestlers

But they have been wining miss Nigeria and miss world all these years ..yet your super body is no where to be found and finally we r very okay with those bodies

Why are you whining that we won't marry your type

To be very fra k with you....we don't find your type a Marriage material

So stop whining

Try those delicacies I recommended for you

Have a blessed search ....oh you have them qued up already .

So why gloss over Igbo magic stick?

Honey forget that idea pls

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 4:46pm On Sep 27, 2015
DikeOha882:
This is the major reason most Igbos don't go for yoruba ladies and I am one of them, thank you for letting them know
Big Francis is trying to be diplomatic but he made a salient point that is if she could decode the points

But why complain that Igbo don't marry outside

If we marry outside who will marry out fair queens naa

6 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by bigfrancis21: 4:52pm On Sep 27, 2015
anonymous6:

I never did corp or education in Nigeria, so I will answer based on what my relatives of have told me & my travels to Nigeria; When it comes to education & Corp, I Think the reason is because Yoruba parents are comfortable and prefer their children getting their education & corp in their region which is SW then traveling all the way to the East. However when it comes to corp, there are some points you mentioned that I would like to add as well, it is not only the east but other regions like far deep in the north that yoruba parents don't want their children going to but for the most part it is because of safety for example the religious fiasco of the north, so you will understand some Yoruba parents fear of letting their children go to some where far away that is not completely safe. However igbo parents have misconceptions of yoruba territory as well, so I don't think it is one sided.

I will add that tribes in Nigeria need to ease up on their misconceptions of one another in order for Nigeria to move forward smoothly

@bold...it is the same way Igbo parents prefer their kids marrying from within their region. I guess it all balances out at the end of the day. No tribe should be singled out as being 'tribal bigots'.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 4:54pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

But they have been wining miss Nigeria and miss world all these years ..yet your super body is no where to be found and finally we r very okay with those bodies

Why are you whining that we won't marry your type

To be very fra k with you....we don't find your type a Marriage material

So stop whining

Try those delicacies I recommended for you

Have a blessed search ....oh you have them qued up already .

So why gloss over Igbo magic stick?

Honey forget that idea pls
..Igbo magic stick? ofor? please go over to my initial post..yeah,you can't marry my type because you are not man enough to handle a real woman..thing is your egocentric shitty self will prefer a woman that will scamper into hiding/ safety when you get home...and not have a say and God helps anything happen to her husband she will submit to your younger brother..and be subservient to your people as their slave...miss world kor missroad ni..mtcheew

1 Like

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 5:00pm On Sep 27, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..Igbo magic stick? ofor? please go over to my initial post..yeah,you can't marry my type because you are not man enough to handle a real woman..thing is your egocentric shitty self will prefer a woman that will scamper into hiding/ safety when you get home...and not have a say and God helps anything happen to her husband she will submit to your younger brother..and be subservient to your people as their slave...miss world kor missroad no..mtcheew

Who is a real woman ? I believe it's not you dear

Real women don't go chasing men around and crying men from other tribes don't marry her

Real women are cultured and they are chased not the other way round ....

As you can see you don't fit into the definition of real woman but a ...

But why are you particular about Igbo men not interested in you

People have said and testified about Igbo man prowess in bed maybe your keen to experience this

That's OK ... But know that there are consequence such as dumping and heartbreak

But you can enjoy the game as it last

8 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:02pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

Big Francis is trying to be diplomatic but he made a salient point that is if she could decode the points

..you can do inbreeding for all I care..you cut across as unexposed..
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by tonychristopher: 5:04pm On Sep 27, 2015
BlaqCoffee109:
..you can do inbreeding for all I care..you cut across as unexposed..

But we know the people that are noted for inbreeding in Nigeria ...do you want me to call names

So forget igbo magic stick ..it is not yours for keep

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:09pm On Sep 27, 2015
Eziokwu nwanne
tonychristopher:

3 Likes

Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:12pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

Real women don't go chasing men around and crying men from other tribes don't marry her

People have said and testified about Igbo man prowess in bed maybe your keen to experience this

That's OK ... But know that there are consequence such as dumping and heartbreak

like a said earlier don't sweat it,take a chill pill..this is a faceless forum...by your stupidity asserting the igbo men prowess in bed is all the basis for your marital choices..little wonder they do things with dogs when you are out trading..
Re: Igbo Men And Inter- Tribal Marriage by Nobody: 5:14pm On Sep 27, 2015
tonychristopher:

like a said earlier don't sweat it,take a chill pill..this is a faceless forum...by your stupidity asserting the igbo men prowess in bed is all the basis for your marital choices..little wonder they do things with dogs when you are out trading..cultured indeed..you really are amusing

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Oba Adewale Akanbi Drives His G-wagon In Canada. Photos / Oyaaa! Waffi Men, Benin Men, Port Harcourt Niggies, Yenagoa Men. Pidgin Contest / Olu Of Warri, Wife Holiday In Ghana, Meet President Akufo-Addo (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 130
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.