Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,702 members, 7,805,888 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 07:59 AM

Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today - Science/Technology - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today (5866 Views)

Man Left Confused After Seeing This Rare Type Of Fish In Rivers State. Photos / World Gaze At Supermoon [Pictures] / Pictures Of The Lunar Eclipse. Did You Experience It??? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by favoredchild(f): 8:47am On Sep 27, 2015
Astronomers and skywatchers are looking forward to the event this weekend. Others see it as a signal of the apocalypse. On Sunday night and early Monday morning, much of the Earth will witness a glorious heavenly event.

The night of September 27-28 will showcase a lunar eclipse coupled with a "supermoon": a full moon that appears larger because it's at perigee, the closest point of its orbit with Earth. The concurrence is relatively rare, having not happened since 1982.

Though some observers are viewing the date with fear -- calling the eclipse a "blood moon" -- for astronomers and stargazers, the event is to be welcomed with celebration.

"It's a beautiful sight in the nighttime sky," said Mark Hammergren, an astronomer at Chicago's Adler Planetarium. "It's a way of connecting us to the universe at large. It gives us this view that there's a bigger picture than just what we're concerned with in our daily lives."

The entire eclipse, from first shadow to last, will be visible from most of the Americas -- including the eastern half of the United States -- Greenland, Western Europe, western Africa north of the equator and parts of Antarctica. Other portions of the world, including western North America, the rest of Europe and Africa and a swath of western Asia, will see most of the drama, though they'll miss the first or fading bites of the moon.

In the United States, observatories are hosting a variety of festivities to showcase the eclipse and supermoon.

The University of Nebraska Omaha is opening its Durham Science Center observatory and planetarium to the public, adding telescopes with smartphone adapters so visitors can take pictures. The Kopernik Observatory & Science Center near Binghamton, New York, the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles and Hammergren's own Adler are planning moon parties for what the Cincinnati Observatory is calling "THE astronomical event of the year."

Can't make it to a planetarium? NASA TV will have live eclipse coverage that you can watch in the comfort of your own home.

Or you can walk outside.

"You don't have to be anyplace special. If you can see the moon, you can just look up," said the Griffith's curator, Laura Danly.

The Earth's shadow will start making its way across the moon at 8:11 p.m. ET. The total eclipse begins at 10:11 p.m. ET and will peak at 10:47 p.m. ET. The total eclipse will last about 72 minutes.

As of Friday morning, CNN Weather reported that most areas east of the Mississippi River and along the Gulf Coast will have poor viewing conditions, with clouds in the Southeast U.S. extending north to the Great Lakes. The Southeast will also be rainy; the Midwest and Ohio Valley, however, will be dry.

New England will be the exception in the East, with clear skies mostly north of Massachusetts.

The rest of the country, including the Plains states, desert Southwest and Pacific coast, should offer good viewing conditions.

Hammergren points out the supermoon eclipse is one of those events best viewed with the naked eye (though binoculars can come in handy), so anywhere there's a clear sky will do the trick.

But don't miss your chance at Sunday's supermoon eclipse. The next one isn't due until 2033.
Newsource: CNN

1 Like

Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Dekatron(m): 8:54am On Sep 27, 2015
I am surely not sleeping tonight
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Eeser: 8:58am On Sep 27, 2015
Waiting for the blood moon. Ware wolves, over to you
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 9:38am On Sep 27, 2015
Dekatron:

I thought it was 28th...anyway am fvcking seating outside both today and tomorrow...i cant miss this natural wonder for anything...
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Krystalzkris(f): 11:19am On Sep 27, 2015
this is worth keeping a vigil for... #TEAMNOTSLEEPINGTONIGHT...
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by bqlekan(m): 11:20am On Sep 27, 2015
gosh... i will be changing tonight grin
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by favoredchild(f): 1:41pm On Sep 27, 2015
Dekatron:
johnydon22:

I thought it was 28th...anyway am fvcking seating outside both today and tomorrow...i cant miss this natural wonder for anything...
johnydon22:

johnydon22:

I won't miss it for anything either
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by favoredchild(f): 1:42pm On Sep 27, 2015
Eeser:
Waiting for the blood moon. Ware wolves, over to you
Do you really believe in that?
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Yeske2(m): 7:39pm On Sep 27, 2015
Please what time should we be expecting this in Nigeria exactly? I'd try keep awake
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Feraz(m): 7:55pm On Sep 27, 2015
Yeske2:
Please what time should we be expecting this in Nigeria exactly? I'd try keep awake
8:11 EDT is about 4 hours behind GMT and since we're an hour ahead of GMT, I'll say 1:11am tomorrow morning will it start, then peak at 3:47am if my calculations are correct.

Brace up people, Uchiha Madara is about to start off his mugen tsukuyomi. grin

Topic, I set off my alarm for 1:30am so I'll be sure it has started before coming outside to view it. Unfortunately, I can't snap it as my phone isn't powerful enough. BTW people, NASA organised a photo competition for this rare event so y'all may be interested in it. A link to their Facebook page - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153571810711772&id=54971236771&refid=8&_ft_=qid.6199267315988135707%3Amf_story_key.-4800506592617044640%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.&__tn__=%2As

My greetings to you: johnydon22. Keeping the science section alive together with your gang. smiley

cc: lalasticlala, this deserves front page. Thank you.
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 8:44pm On Sep 27, 2015
Feraz:
8:11 EDT is about 4 hours behind GMT and since we're an hour ahead of GMT, I'll say 1:11am tomorrow morning if my calculations are correct.

Topic, I set off my alarm for 1:30am so I'll be sure it has started before coming outside to view it. Unfortunately, I can't snap it as my phone isn't powerful enough. BTW people, NASA organised a photo competition for this rare event so y'all may be interested in it. A link to their Facebook page - https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10153571810711772&id=54971236771&refid=8&_ft_=qid.6199267315988135707%3Amf_story_key.-4800506592617044640%3AeligibleForSeeFirstBumping.&__tn__=%2As

My greetings to you: johnydon22. Keeping the science section alive together with your gang. smiley

We Nigerians needs to pay more mind on science bro, the world is leaving Africa behind in terms of Scientific knowledge.

Imagine when Africans hear of astronomical phenomenons like Lunar eclipse they shout "end time things" without even knowing what and how lunar eclipses occur, its really a pity if you ask me.

So we always have to do our best to bring science no matter how basic our knowledge of it is to African minds because the grip of superstition on the minds of people in African is heart breaking..

Anyway for people who might be wondering how and what causes a Lunar eclipse. .

You might want to look this video up, its very basic and simple. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49O2MsT1txU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Feraz(m): 9:13pm On Sep 27, 2015
johnydon22:

We Nigerians needs to pay more mind on science bro, the world is leaving Africa behind in terms of Scientific knowledge.

Imagine when Africans here of astronomical phenomenons like Lunar eclipse they shout "end time things" without even knowing what and how lunar eclipses occur, its really a pity if you ask me.

So we always have to do our best to bring science no matter how basic our knowledge of it is to African minds because the grip of superstition on the minds of people in African is heart breaking..

Anyway for people who might be wondering how and what causes a Lunar eclipse. .

You might want to look this video up, its very basic and simple. .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49O2MsT1txU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Though we may not be there yet, but people are beginning to get conscious of science - Well, that's what I think. That aside, ever wonder how the ancients were able to predict phenomena such as this and many other accurately?

Modified: according to BBC, this excerpt was gotten from their website
The eclipse will begin at 02:11 GMT,
when the Moon enters the lightest part
of the Earth's shadow, known as the
penumbra, and adopts a yellowish
colour. At 04:11, the Moon completely enters the umbra - the inner dark
corpus of our planet's shadow.
The point of greatest eclipse occurs at
04:47, when the Moon is closest to the
centre of the umbra. The show will be
over by 06:22 in the morning on Monday

If they are correct, all we need do is to add one hour to our time.
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by arshavineering(m): 9:32pm On Sep 27, 2015
na to spread my mat for outside be that na. abeg what time exactly wey e go be?
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 9:44pm On Sep 27, 2015
Feraz:
Though we may not be there yet, but people are beginning to get conscious of science - Well, that's what I think. That aside, ever wonder how the ancients were able to predict phenomena such as this and many other accurately?
Through astrology. . They observed the stars, constellations, movement of the sun and moon in the sky, the positions of these celestial bodies.

Ancient sumerians were the first to divide the day into seconds, minutes and hours..

Modified: according to BBC, this excerpt was gotten from their website

If they are correct, all we need do is to add one hour to our time.

For us in Nigeria we bleeped for real because this shiit is happening when we need sleep most..

Begins: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 1:11 AM
Maximum: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 3:47 AM
Ends: Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 6:22 AM

Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Yeske2(m): 9:48pm On Sep 27, 2015
Feraz:
8:11 EDT is about 4 hours behind GMT and since we're an hour ahead of GMT, I'll say 1:11am tomorrow morning will it start, then peak at 3:47am if my calculations are correct.

Thanks dear, weather has been good and clear till about 45mins ago when it started raining seriously with lightening and thunders,
Hope not what i'm thinking anyway. #apocalypse
This weather would really mess up my pix.
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by hahn(m): 10:32pm On Sep 27, 2015
johnydon22:

For us in Nigeria we bleeped for real because this shiit is happening when we need sleep most..

Do you mean some people will view the supermoon eclipse in the afternoon? undecided
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Godpikin4: 10:54pm On Sep 27, 2015
Would have loved to stay up but....sleep

I also think it will be kinda scary ( too much of horror movies) grin

Hope to see pictures tomorrow though
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Dekatron(m): 11:01pm On Sep 27, 2015
Krystalzkris:
this is worth keeping a vigil for... #TEAMNOTSLEEPINGTONIGHT...

babe, shall we watch the blood moon together and seal our love in the RARE phenomenon that leaves a long imprint in the mind and heart?

Baby, Shall we??

Johnydon22, please gt us drinks and pop corn with my special goggles in teempakguy's lab? Thanks

grin grin grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Nobody: 11:18pm On Sep 27, 2015
Shyte!!!!
I can't see the moon!
This can't be good. cry
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Nobody: 11:20pm On Sep 27, 2015
Dekatron:

babe, shall we watch the blood moon together and seal our love in the RARE phenomenon that leaves a long imprint in the mind and heart?

Baby, Shall we??

Johnydon22, please gt us drinks and pop corn with my special goggles in teempakguy's lab? Thanks

grin grin grin
gringringrin

can't see the moon though.

Can you over there?
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 11:25pm On Sep 27, 2015
hahn:

Do you mean some people will view the supermoon eclipse in the afternoon? undecided
No jooor ...after midnight..

1am- 3am.. afternoon is pm joor undecided
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Dekatron(m): 11:48pm On Sep 27, 2015
Teempakguy:
gringringrin

can't see the moon though.

Can you over there?

yes, I can my brother. . . .

Its not so clear o. . . But with time, its getting more visible . . . Pretty visible RIGHT NOW. . . If na whatsapp, I for share pics.
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 11:49pm On Sep 27, 2015
Dekatron:

Baby, Shall we??

grin grin grin

Eeeeehn na me suppose go serve you drinks while you meander with the girl... i be servant? angry
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Yeske2(m): 11:50pm On Sep 27, 2015
Chisoosss! You mean from 1am till about 6am? I must see this winshy moon today and snap if possible
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 11:51pm On Sep 27, 2015
Dekatron:

yes, I can my brother. . . .

Its not so clear o. . . But with time, its getting more visible . . . Pretty visible RIGHT NOW. . . If na whatsapp, I for share pics.

Ewooooooooo sad shocked

Rain deh fall here ooo, if you see as i just deh deh wait for this thing but this rain wan spoil my show for me ooo... maybe i will set my phone's alarm time to hit by 3am.

total eclipse will be by 3am and hopefully the rain must have stopped by then..
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 11:52pm On Sep 27, 2015
Yeske2:
Chisoosss! You mean from 1am till about 6am? I must see this winshy moon today and snap if possible
Total eclipses is by 3am ...so the moon will turn red or reddish brown by 3

1 Like

Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Dekatron(m): 11:57pm On Sep 27, 2015
johnydon22:

Eeeeehn na me suppose go serve you drinks while you meander with the girl... i be servant? angry

you be big brother na. . . Let your small boy enjoy a date nah.

Besides, na me come first. . . Na me first submit application. Lol

@ Topic :- It rained here too, but it stopped. . . And now, its pretty visible. . . Nothing dey happen for now jare
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Feraz(m): 11:59pm On Sep 27, 2015
Yeske2:
I think it's best you set your alarm at 3:15am; so before 3:47am, you're fully awake to take enough pictures of the event. Set mine to 3:00am though, may soon adjust it.

Please, let's share pictures here. Here in Kano, the sky is still clear and I'm hoping it doesn't rain cos most friends Whatsapping me are complaining of the downpour.

1 Like

Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Feraz(m): 12:00am On Sep 28, 2015
johnydon22:
Through astrology. . They observed the stars, constellations, movement of the sun and moon in the sky, the positions of these celestial bodies.

Ancient sumerians were the first to divide the day into seconds, minutes and hours..

I give it to those guys. They were good and accurate with their predictions.
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 12:02am On Sep 28, 2015
Dekatron:

you be big brother na. . . Let your small boy enjoy a date nah.

Besides, na me come first. . . Na me first submit application. Lol
Na me come go deh serve you and your date drinks, as waiter ba? angry

If i sound you eeehn you will gerara here and go to bible studies and let big bros play some adult plays weh children no deh see.

oya comot here.. 1,2 undecided

@ Topic :- It rained here too, but it stopped. . . And now, its pretty visible. . . Nothing dey happen for now jare
Still pouring hard heavily here oo embarassed
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by Krystalzkris(f): 12:02am On Sep 28, 2015
oh this rain,please dont obstruct this eclipse,Ichabodcrane are you awake?
Re: Rare Supermoon Eclipse Would Be Seen Today by johnydon22(m): 12:06am On Sep 28, 2015
Feraz:
I give it to those guys. They were good and accurate with their predictions.
Yes they were good but observations are not a reliable way for deductions it must be testable.

E.g; They observed the earth and made it out to be flat and a dome above it (sky). .

This shows that conclusions must not be reached through observations only, they tried their best in the development of science which they called Natural philosophy and it was a sacred practise.

asin infused with superstition and rituals but it laid a foundation for our own redefinition of science and methods of deductions..

(1) (2) (Reply)

The World's Ugliest Animals / Insanely Complicated Process For Launching The Most Powerful Nuclear Warhead / Why You Should Be A Physicist.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.