Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,477 members, 7,770,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 06:31 AM

Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal (39862 Views)

How Kabir Grabbed A Man’s Testicle To Survive Hajj Stampede. Vanguard News / Emir Of Zang, Taraba Among The Dead In Hajj Stampede (Photo) / Hajj Stampede: Things You Need To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Nobody: 9:54am On Sep 28, 2015
[img]http://media.premiumtimesng.com/wp-content/files/2015/09/759x422xhajj759.jpg.pagespeed.ic.0_GKdaYSys.webp[/img]

A survivor of the stampede in Mina, Saudi Arabia, has narrated how he survived the incident.
Dahiru Shittu, one of the over 60,000 Nigerians attending this year’s pilgrimage, was among the thousands of people gathered in Mina for the devil stoning rite, part of the hajj activities, when the stampede occurred.

‘”We were trapped in between narrow lane with iron wall of tents on both sides of the road,” he told PREMIUM TIMES in Makkah, Saudi Arabia. “There was no way out, so people started scaling fences into tents of Algeria and other Arab countries.”

Mr. Shittu, from Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State, added that “My friend and I, who were completely exhausted from the previous long distance trekking from Arafat to Muztalifa where we spent the night and set out that morning to Jamra, had no option than to step on other weaker pilgrims to survive.

“You will see mother and parents leaving their children and aged to survive. I was however, helped by an Arab man to scale the fence into a tent.

“Many male and female pilgrims dead or alive were seen naked. We that survived, had to scavenge for Ihram (white cloth) of corpses to cover our unclothedness. Those of us who were alive were gasping for survival in an exhausted struggle, some of whom were later offered ice block by some volunteers.”

“An Ethiopian pilgrim abandoned his mother who became a ‘ladder’ for those who scaled through fences to survive. Many others too, were crushed to death in such a manner.”

The pilgrim lamented the security situation during the rite saying there was not enough “security around or any rescue team.”

There have been reports that the closure of two essential gate, reportedly at the instance of the Saudi Royal family who were receiving some visitors, was a major cause of the stampede, a fact Mr. Shittu elaborates.

“If the gates of those tents from both sides of the road had opened, the death toll would have been very minimal,” he said. “But the Arabs closed the gates and continued to hit the hands of any pilgrim with a metal as they attempted to scale their fences to get free air.”

The survivor, who suffered an injury on his leg, lamented the inadequate medical attention received by some survivors saying, “I did not receive any medical attention from either the Saudi, NAHCON (Nigerian officials) or Kaduna authority despite my complaints to them.”

He said he saw corpses of many Nigerians from Lagos and Sokoto whom he identified from their uniform.
“There was a woman who was carrying a baby and I am not sure if she will survive because there were so many bodies piled on top of her and the baby.”

No official figure has been announced by Nigerian authorities of the number of casualties from the country. However, Sokoto State has confirmed that at least nine of its pilgrims were killed in the stampede while Taraba has confirmed three. Saudi officials said at least 769 people were killed in the stampede while over 900 people were injured.

Lamenting his present state, Mr. Shittu said he “was completely traumatized; in fact if there is anything beyond being traumatized, that was how I felt because I thought it was the end of the world.

“But that did not discourage me from wanting to come back for Hajj again because this is part of the test of faith.”

http://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/headlines/190662-hajj-stampede-nigerian-survivor-narrates-ordeal.html?utm_source=&utm_medium=twitter

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by absoluteSuccess: 10:08am On Sep 28, 2015
A harvest of life to God who gives it.

You can imagine the everlasting memory that the woman whose mum was turn to ladder for survival will have of her mum.

Not the best to take to the grave.

R.I.P. to the dead.

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by jauntty: 10:15am On Sep 28, 2015
"had no option than to step on other WEAKER pilgrims to survive."

Imagine abandoning ur family OR stepping on others just to survive

This is really so sad. So many lives wasted for no good reason

The Saudi Govt is even blaming African pilgrims for being disorganised and causing the stampade

27 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by magabounce(m): 10:15am On Sep 28, 2015
eyahhhhh!!!!
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Ologogoro: 10:15am On Sep 28, 2015
You all should have come to Kwara to worship your Allah and stone Bukola Saraki instead of risking your life in mecca, at least u also throw stone in mecca

145 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Dottore: 10:16am On Sep 28, 2015
Why didn't all the greedy NASS members go there and get stampeded to hell sad

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 28, 2015
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by damton(m): 10:17am On Sep 28, 2015
Hmmmmm. food for thought

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by johnwell(m): 10:17am On Sep 28, 2015
sad news everyday
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by loomer: 10:18am On Sep 28, 2015
Na so
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Nobody: 10:18am On Sep 28, 2015
am yet to understand what they are doing there o

43 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by obaival(m): 10:18am On Sep 28, 2015
They died n wake up abi
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by MAYORBRIGHT07(m): 10:18am On Sep 28, 2015
Thanks God for their lives.
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Viktor1983(m): 10:18am On Sep 28, 2015
60,000 Pilgrims...

If each of em were to have spent an average of N400,000 or $2000 on this trip, What is the economic effect?
60,000 Pilgrims x $2000 = $120000000 .

34 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by marqueetim(m): 10:18am On Sep 28, 2015
In the name of religion.. Abuse me if you like..

41 Likes

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by worlexy(m): 10:18am On Sep 28, 2015
hmmn. I'm speechless lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by solinho(m): 10:19am On Sep 28, 2015

8 Likes

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Artnass(m): 10:19am On Sep 28, 2015
No no no... This is too bad

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Atlantian: 10:19am On Sep 28, 2015
Hahahahahahaa, I have no RIP to give.

18 Likes

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by steffans(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2015
so so so sad..

Please i need one honest answer?

Why do Muslims have to stone the Devil/Satan?

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by NextGovernor(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2015
Must everybody go to Mecca? Why not quietly celebrate and stone the devil here. I think the devils here are more than anywhere in the world, facing Boko haram attack by the same muslims, killings, brutality and wiping of a community by fulanis who are muslims too, destroying our young girls under 18yrs by this same muslims and brainwashing people all in the name of religion for suicide bombing.

Any devils more than these who claimed to be practicng the religion of peace.

90 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by 1Dray(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2015
When you went to Mecca to stone Satan and open your eyes on the other side to meet Satan, then you realise you were scammed by a supposedly 'religion of peace'.

Now, Jesus is the ONLY Way and The Prince of Peace... You won't say I didn't tell you.

174 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by LEXYCOM: 10:20am On Sep 28, 2015
God judgement is wat is happening in Mecca.....

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Mrluv(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2015
God help us!
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by youngice(m): 10:20am On Sep 28, 2015
bloody
Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by seunlayi(m): 10:21am On Sep 28, 2015
lol

1 Like

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Akynzodeighbour(m): 10:21am On Sep 28, 2015
if i hear say e go next year

3 Likes

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by Nobody: 10:21am On Sep 28, 2015
May be offpoint.

You've been stoning Satan for years shouldnt he/she be dead by now?

May be changing the ammunition to say a missile or an A-bomb will help,

Just saying I don't get this part of the hajj - stoning Satan

58 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by 1Dray(m): 10:22am On Sep 28, 2015
When you went to Mecca to stone Satan and open you eyes on the other side to meet Satan, then you realise you were scammed by a supposedly 'religion of peace'.

Now, Jesus is the only way and the Prince of Peace... Don't say I didn't tell you.

23 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Hajj Stampede: Nigerian Survivor Narrates Ordeal by jimmyolasun: 10:23am On Sep 28, 2015
"Test of faith"

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Are Muslims Allowed To Eat Christmas Food? / Can I Do This For My Wife If She Likes / Why It Is Dangerous For A Muslim To Marry Only One Wife – Islamic Scholar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.