Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,891 members, 7,802,870 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 12:12 AM

3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling (12555 Views)

for those who wish to learn 3D Animation, modelling and visual effects / 3d Modelling Challenge : Lava Man / 3d Challenge I - Hard Surface Modelling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 11:26am On Apr 18, 2009
Introduction

This is the second in the series of 3d challenges. Get lost in it!

This challenges will be WIP (Work In Progress) based to ensure everyone can learn from each other, offer feedback and critiques, each challenger is required to post work in progress images from model wireframes to textures, shader setups, lighting/rendering and final image. I really hope it will be fun and educative.

Theme

For this challenge, we're going strictly ORGANIC on our president (not OBJ o!) the new guy. The result should be a portrait of PRESIDENT  UMARU YAR-ADUA. you don't have to exactly match any reference image just be creative and free.

[img]http://students.umf.maine.edu/%7Eirwindn/Images/410px-YarAdua_WEF_2008.jpg[/img]

more refs will be posted as they come. Please you can also help with reference images.

Instructions

Rules

1. Pre-fabricated models cannot be used.
  2. You can't enter more than two entries.
  3. Any image deemed to be the same or similar to one currently published will be disqualified.
  4. No entries will be accepted after the deadline.
  5. Only one final image will be acceptable from each challenger.
  6. Use whatever software you can.

Submissions

1. The deadline is STILL UNDECIDED(suggestions)
  2. Your final image can be submitted on or before the deadline.

Prize

Maya Techniques - Hyper-Realistic Animation DVD (worth US $69.99)[s]if you don't like it the cash *can* be sent to you[/s]

Judging

[list]
[li]The overall winner will be determined by how well you perform in the following categories[/li]
[/list]
    1. Modelling
    2. Texturing/shading
    3. Lighting
    4. Final render

[list]
[li]A voting system will be implemented. You vote using the following format. 100 is the highest score per category.[/li]
[/list]

NAME: Ademola Bola

1. Modelling ---- 50
    2. Texturing/shading ---- 30
    3. Lighting ---- 60
    4. Final render ---- 70
---------------------------------------------
        TOTAL                  210
---------------------------------------------
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by halberd05(m): 9:04pm On Apr 18, 2009
gosh, this guy looks one kind! my computer may crash. can't we model a nollywood chick instead? sigh,
any second n third place prizes?
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 10:44pm On Apr 18, 2009
gosh, this guy looks one kind! my computer may crash. can't we model a nollywood chick instead?
Nice idea. lets pick one
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 10:48pm On Apr 18, 2009
any second n third place prizes?
i don't have sponsors o.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 7:46am On Apr 20, 2009
Well, I decided that this time around, the next 3d challenge won't pass me by!

Here's my input done over the weekend before the pileup from work starts rolling in.

I'll post my WIP screenshots when next I have the chance.

Cheers! wink

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by halberd05(m): 9:03am On Apr 20, 2009
Kemjisuper, i tot d rules say pre-fabricated models can't be used? u obviously didn't model that head urself.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 12:13pm On Apr 20, 2009
The rules stated that any software can be used. Mind you the model was not pre-fabricated (you could try googling 3d Yar Adua if I'm wrong).

Besides, I'm only here for fun, participation and learning purposes - rigging & modeling the actual figure head will take up so much of my useful time not being paid for undecided

I get job O!
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 4:44pm On Apr 21, 2009
@Kemjisuper
nice. can we get some other veiws and softwares used
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 8:05pm On Apr 21, 2009
i think its face gen modeller. its well, , ok but has several issues and limitations smiley . especially for side views.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 12:09pm On Apr 22, 2009
zPixel:

@Kemjisuper
nice. can we get some other veiws and softwares used

@zpixel
Yeah, I'll do that when I have the time. Unfortunately I forgot to take screenshots while working so unless I'm doing another version, I'll get them accross.

But we could use some more different entries from others don't you think?

xothermik:

i think its face gen modeller. its well, , ok but has several issues and limitations smiley . especially for side views.

You guessed right that I used Facegen modeller. It's quite a cool software. I agree it has limitations on side views but it also depends on if you have a valid side view image to complete the parameters. I can't seem to find side views of our Presido anywhere though.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 12:17pm On Apr 22, 2009
@Kemjisuper
no wahala

We're allowed to use any app so far you arrive at the destination.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 8:43pm On Apr 27, 2009
whas happnin na? oh boy kemji e be like say you go chow dis prize oh. so far you are well in the lead with absolutely no competition. grin no be small money dis one wey dollar dey cost oh shocked
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 9:00pm On Apr 27, 2009
psyke grin like hell i'll go down without a fight. i can understand that everyones been pretty bizzy(talkin of the organic modeling astute) for such a apathetic regard of this thread.(at least i know iv been) thot shud squeez in some time this weekend and started by trying to align the front and side views. that by the way was a very daunting task to me as i barely scraped up a side view from the net with was actually a far shot which i cropped and the damn thing still gave me a few issues as i tried to align the facial features properly to evade future problems in modeling. seems mr zpix has a knack for posting challenges with very rare or limited view references. anyway here's some WIP from what i'v done so far. not much jus hope it will roll in more stuff from others.

Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 8:54am On Apr 28, 2009
Hmm, xothermik cool. Dude, the way you're going, I'm sensing you'll end up with something big! All the same, let's see how this plays out. I may have to go back to the drawing board and work up some heavy magic to compensate. But, till then sha.

By the way, @zpixel - what's the deadline? undecided Hope it's due before xothermik is done, lol grin
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by codename47(m): 9:41am On Apr 28, 2009
nice work people.
@Xothermik:
nice going, dats a good start, really expecting to see the final output.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 3:55pm On Apr 28, 2009
@xothermik
Nice work mr. xothermik cool

By the way, @zpixel - what's the deadline?
still undecided.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Whalewale(m): 6:46pm On Apr 28, 2009
i really feel xothermik's WIP, (now thats the way character modelling is to be done), Cant wait to see the finished stuff, especialy the ears ( to me, thats the hardest),
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 12:48pm On Apr 29, 2009
Ok guys, xothermik's upping the competition it seems. It's official - back to the drawing board for me! cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 2:04pm On May 01, 2009
sad
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by grafikdon: 2:32pm On May 01, 2009
Guys, I need to point something out. This is a modeling challenge and from what I have seen, only Xothermik is doing it properly. Anything generated with any automated model app is not appropriate and will be disqualified instantly if there is a strict adherence to the rules of a MODELING CHALLENGE. There is nothing wrong with using face gen and similar apps but you can't throw such models into a modeling challenge contest since it defeats the whole idea of the challenge.

You can use any app of your choice as long as they are in line with the rules of a modeling challenge. That you can use any app should not be misconstrued in this situation. The simple interpretation is that you can model with your favourite modeling software, be it silo, Modo, Lightwave, Blender, Houdini, Max, Softimage, C4D or Rhino.

Z-pixel, you may need to rephrase the "any software'' term. A lot of newbies can learn a lot from a modeling challenge by merely observing the WIP screen shots of the participants.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 2:57pm On May 01, 2009
cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by grafikdon: 3:49pm On May 01, 2009
Methinks you got it twisted right there, bub tongue

This is not a time management challenge or a Production Pipeline challenge, it is simply a ''Modeling Challenge''. Anyone can use whatever tool they like in production as long as it cuts down production time without compromise to quality. I use a combination of tools to get the job done from modeling to animation and I actually use several tools for each these functions, for example Photoshop and Bodypaint for textures, Modo and Lightwave for modeling, Audition and Audacity for audio, Lightwave and Softimage for animation. . . . etc. Moist of the models I use now are characters i built in '04. I simply modify them and I am good to go in no time instead of wasting time modeling everything from scratch.

If you go through some of my posts in the Graphics section, it won't be hard to decipher I am  hardcore anti software zealots and a serious advocate of "Use any tool of your choice to get the job done". My post was tailored towards the the subject of the thread, which is "Modeling Challenge" and I made it clear that there is nothing wrong with using any model generation software in ''production''. If it gets the job done, why not? smiley

But this is a "Modeling Challenge" and I believe it should be done properly  cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 5:35pm On May 01, 2009
cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 7:36pm On May 01, 2009
Guys Guys, lets go easy on the challenge. Zpixel has not faulted any of the entries based on software used or speed of delivery. I believe the only thing missing, (except for Xothermik's) is the WIP's. We all know there are many routes to achieving the same goal, some painstakingly detailed and some sketchy too. Also we've not all been given the same tools. Its more like - USE WHAT YOU'VE GOT! We all hope to learn new stuff in the end, not so?
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by reactor: 9:13pm On May 01, 2009
spyemy:

Everybody is free to use what they want or is zbrush not considered a software
true
spyemy:

why spend 10 years in production when you can do it in 1 hours with a better result and low polygon mesh,
err. not true. if you know what you are doing there's no way you can get a lower polygon mesh with z brush than maya, max, xsi etc. as for the ten years. again i say nothing good comes easy. the longer the better(as long as u know what you are doing) besides chillax. whats the rush the deadline aint even up yet.
spyemy:

afterall i have seen people use game props and models in there animations so that the can come up with there animation series.
now wtf?
spyemy:

yes, learn a package like maya, houdini,max,  but also learn how to manage your time and learn other things like animation, API programming or even scripting,  network rendering, match moving, 
who says you hav to learn all those things. you wanna be a jack of all trade master of none i mean programming? caam on. versatility is a bonus but not if you cant excel in one field at least.
spyemy:

if you want a competition thats energetic then come on with things that are conceptual like concept cars, transformer kind of models or characters that are entertaining such as hellboy etc
ok now what is that. dint you read the subject. says organic. and you are talkin of cars transformers. this not energetic enough for you? if the case then why cut corners undecided and then intrestin? duh you got something against the president?are'nt u an artist? or what if the president calls u and gives you a ton o money and asks you to model him. you gonna tell him he's not intresting.
spyemy:

you dont give someone a face to model and tell him not to use the app that can help him achieve the best result at a fast time pace, 
dud, modeling is not by force and certainly not for everyone.thats why its called a challenge. you dont hav to be asked what you wish to do before one is posted. in the last challenge you posted your work only to come and start complaining that you wer'nt competing withanybody blah blah. dude no one's fighting u now.

im not beefin u man but graphic don's got a point. no animation studio(in its right state of mind) will hire you or be impressed by your work if they tell you to model a head and you go straight into facegen or z brush to sculpt some features or jus map a texture on to a head that does'nt even look like the person or unrecognisable untextured . the truth definately hurts. cud b wrong.  jus my opinion.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by xothermik(m): 9:44pm On May 01, 2009
actually z brush is a solid and powerful software that is in almost every major hollywod studio and animation studio in the world even those that dont have it amost certainly have mudbox which is kinda the same thing.how ever(and this is just my opinion too) i feel the first statement only applies if you use z brush the right way.z brush was actually used in the pirates of the carrebean. how ever it was mostly to create bump,norma and displacement maps. i might actually use z brush to finish up my model to put in spots bumps and facial blemishes and maybe some of the finer wrinkles. but only after i get the head done and have it done properly and put in all the detalil i can in max while ensuring i have good loops and trying my best to keep all the polygons quads.this may not be essential for illustration sake but is critical if u plan to use it for animation.
@ others where una works now.
@z pix guy you need to state your deadline soon to ginger up the comrades. grin
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by spyemy(m): 5:44am On May 02, 2009
cool
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 12:57pm On May 02, 2009
Ok guys, i'll revisit the rules&deadline on monday.
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by halberd05(m): 1:03pm On May 02, 2009
this is about to turn into another pissing contest. i can't wait to see the outcome of this competition. any deadline, zPixel?
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by Kemjisuper(m): 4:29pm On May 02, 2009
Yeah the thread's getting heated up. But thats good for the challenge! We need even more fire here.

But seriously, we need more entries and at least a DEADLINE! We cant be put on hold for those who are busier than us, the challenge will die out just like the last one did. I believe this challenge is more interesting than the previous, it will only get better. Good job Zpixel
Re: 3d Challenge II - Organic Modelling by zPixel(m): 4:50pm On May 02, 2009
Please post wip asap to indicate you're part of the challenge,
Like have said before. Deadlind will be fixed on monday.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Cartoon Picture Art / New 4 Bedroom Duplex House Plan ( 3d Model ) / To Become A Video Editor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.