Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,195 members, 7,807,665 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:04 PM

Samoan Proverbs - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Samoan Proverbs (3325 Views)

Great Nupe Proverbs And Their Meanings! / Owe Ile Yoruba -some Lovely Yoruba Proverbs And Their Meanings. / Some "Super-lovely" And Hilarious Yoruba Proverbs You Would Love To Know (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 11:05pm On Sep 28, 2015
Let me share my Samoan culture proverb..

O fānau a manu e fafaga i fugālā'au, 'ae 'o fānau a tagata e fafaga i 'upu." "

(The offspring of birds are fed with flower nectar, but the children of men are nurtured with words."wink

According to our fa'a-Sāmoa this is the foundational concept of child-rearing and discipline; the guidance and nurturing of the younger generation is the collective responsibility of the entire family, village, and society.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 9:21pm On Oct 02, 2015
Adanna28:

(The offspring of birds are fed with flower nectar, but the children of men are nurtured with words."wink

According to our fa'a-Sāmoa this is the foundational concept of child-rearing and discipline; the guidance and nurturing of the younger generation is the collective responsibility of the entire family, village, and society.

Am good at many languages but this one is a little bit out of this world. I almost bit my tongue... grin grin grin grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 11:04pm On Oct 04, 2015
dukeolumde:

Am good at many languages but this one is a little bit out of this world. I almost bit my tongue... grin grin grin grin

No wahala, I will teach you kiss kiss

3 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by francizy(m): 11:35pm On Oct 04, 2015
Nwanne, asusu gi siri ike oh (sis, this your language is strong oh).. shocked shocked shocked

I just noticed your language has lots of As and Fs.. cheesy cheesy cheesy

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 1:28am On Oct 05, 2015
francizy:
Nwanne, asusu siri ike oh (sis, this your language is strong oh).. shocked shocked shocked

I just noticed your language has lots of As and Fs.. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Alobam! Bro it even stronger than the English Fs grin grin Sissy loves you bro. Hope you have a fab new week cheesy

5 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 8:57am On Oct 05, 2015
Adanna28:

No wahala, I will teach you kiss kiss

Really?? Ok cool..

2 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by iPopAlomo(m): 1:47pm On Nov 04, 2015
Talk about he Haka dance... grin

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 9:11pm On Nov 04, 2015
iPopAlomo:
Talk about he Haka dance... grin

You watch rugby! cheesy the haka is a Maori war dance, the all blacks are actually calling on the Maori gods for strength to kill the enemy lol. :p

I also can perform the haka.

2 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by iPopAlomo(m): 9:55pm On Nov 04, 2015
Adanna28:

You watch rugby! cheesy the haka is a Maori war dance, the all blacks are actually calling on the Maori gods for strength to kill the enemy lol. :p

yeah.... right... you can...

I've got a couple of videos...

2 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 10:03pm On Nov 04, 2015
iPopAlomo:

yeah.... right... you can...

I've got a couple of videos...
Lol seriously I can smiley learnt in childhood, wasn't lying when I told you, I grew up more in New Zealand, it very diverse here. Maori is the native tribe of Nz, learn the language in schools and all of nz have Maori names of places in the country.

2 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by iPopAlomo(m): 10:09pm On Nov 04, 2015
Adanna28:

Lol seriously I can smiley learnt in childhood, wasn't lying when I told you, I grew up more in New Zealand, it very diverse here. Maori is the native tribe of Nz, learn the language in schools and all of nz have Maori names of places in the country.

Only works in rugby though ... :p

not bad anyways... not bad...

2 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 10:14pm On Nov 04, 2015
iPopAlomo:

Only works in rugby though ... :p

not bad anyways... not bad...

You haven't seen me do it yet angry I dey warrior too cool

I not bad confam, u semi bad lol

1 Like

Re: Samoan Proverbs by iPopAlomo(m): 10:19pm On Nov 04, 2015
Adanna28:

You haven't seen me do it yet angry I dey warrior too cool

I not bad confam, u semi bad lol

I wouldn't want you breaking a bone and people blaming me I forced you to do the haka... besides... I'm not sure it's womanly... :p

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 10:27pm On Nov 04, 2015
iPopAlomo:

I wouldn't want you breaking a bone and people blaming me I forced you to do the haka... besides... I'm not sure it's womanly... :p

I dey tomato face embarassed hehe. I get you smiley

1 Like

Re: Samoan Proverbs by iPopAlomo(m): 11:28pm On Nov 04, 2015
Adanna28:

I dey tomato face embarassed hehe. I get you smiley

Lmao...

1 Like

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 11:34pm On Nov 04, 2015
iPopAlomo:

Lmao...
angry cool tongue
Re: Samoan Proverbs by iPopAlomo(m): 11:54pm On Nov 04, 2015

1 Like

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Phut(f): 7:38am On Nov 05, 2015
Adanna28:

Nice one!

Igbo proverb: Inu bu mmanu eji eri okwu.
Translation:Proverbs are the palm oil with which words are eaten.

Igbo's eat a lot of yam, sometimes roasted, sometimes boiled. The yam would be eaten with red Palm oil and spices. The oil was to help the yam, which may otherwise be dry, to go down easily. This central role grin played by the oil is akin to the role played by proverbs in Igbo speech, hence the above proverb.

Do share some more Samoan proverbs

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 8:38am On Nov 05, 2015
Phut:

Nice one!

Igbo proverb: Inu bu mmanu eji eri okwu.
Translation:Proverbs are the palm oil with which words are eaten.

Igbo's eat a lot of yam, sometimes roasted, sometimes boiled. The yam would be eaten with red Palm oil and spices. The oil was to help the yam, which may otherwise be dry, to go down easily. This central role grin played by the oil is akin to the role played by proverbs in Igbo speech, hence the above proverb.

Do share some more Samoan proverbs

Phut you are awesome! kiss I love that Igbo proverb sis, thank you for sharing wink I will most def share more, n you too abeg, I'm half Igbo too but not that fluent in the language sad but I still try sha :p

1 Like

Re: Samoan Proverbs by kay9(m): 1:47am On Nov 11, 2015
Ah well, the half-Igbo half-Samoan bit is what reeled me in...

Here's another Igbo one:
Ukpana okpoko gburu, nti chiri ya -- It's a deaf grasshopper that gets eaten by the Okpoko bird.

This proverb is a cautionary one for stubborn people who refuse to heed reasonable advice. Okpoko is a a very noisy bird in Igbo lore that feeds on insects, so the grasshopper (Ukpana) would have to be really deaf (and incorrigibly stubborn) to be caught out pants-down.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 6:37am On Nov 11, 2015
kay9:
Ah well, the half-Igbo half-Samoan bit is what reeled me in...

Here's another Igbo one:
Ukpana okpoko gburu, nti chiri ya -- It's a deaf grasshopper that gets eaten by the Okpoko bird.

This proverb is a cautionary one for stubborn people who refuse to heed reasonable advice. Okpoko is a a very noisy bird in Igbo lore that feeds on insects, so the grasshopper (Ukpana) would have to be really deaf (and incorrigibly stubborn) to be caught out pants-down.
Alobam! cheesy Lovely! Thank you for sharing, there's something about Igbo proverbs that touches me deeply smiley much appreciated.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by ThunderingHooves: 4:12pm On Nov 11, 2015
hallo @Adanna28. which samoa are you from? you are the first samoan i am meeting on a forum. please share some more proverbs. especially those about the sea. thanks .

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 2:30am On Nov 12, 2015
ThunderingHooves:
hallo @Adanna28. which samoa are you from? you are the first samoan i am meeting on a forum. please share some more proverbs. especially those about the sea. thanks .

My mum family are from western Samoa and american Samoa pagopago smiley I will surely post more dear.

3 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Ihuomadinihu: 10:44pm On Nov 12, 2015
Hi Ada. I can't help wondering how an Igbo got to Samoa and married one of their own. Igbos are truly everywhere. Welcome!

3 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 11:18pm On Nov 12, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:
Hi Ada. I can't help wondering how an Igbo got to Samoa and married one of their own. Igbos are truly everywhere. Welcome!

Truly everywhere Sis, Igbo chi strong! cheesy Thank you hun kiss I am still working on my Igbo, not completely fluent, but alas! I shall prevail! smiley

4 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 12:40am On Nov 13, 2015
Talofa Lava Ada... Lol.
Adanna28:

please enlighten Nairalanders on the Fa'afafine.. :*
Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 12:49am On Nov 13, 2015
I find the Haka fascinating, especially when the dancers (warriors) stick out their tongue...lol. My closest friend is. Maori,Fijian and Niuean. She is so much fun and loves African stuff.
Adanna28:

I was in savaii on a holiday and enjoyed every moment of it. Sielu Avea should be Samoa's Minister of Tourism or Entertainment, that man made me love Samoa. :* :* Samoa is breath-taking!!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 1:11am On Nov 13, 2015
VivaVivre:
I find the Haka fascinating, especially when the dancers (warriors) stick out their tongue...lol. My closest friend is. Maori,Fijian and Niuean. She is so much fun and loves African stuff. I was in savaii on a holiday and enjoyed every moment of it. Sielu Avea should be Samoa's Minister of Tourism or Entertainment, that man made me love Samoa. :* :* Samoa is breath-taking!!!

Wow! Babe I'm so happy you visited! Glad the hospitality was great, we are very accommodating and smiley bunch cheesy

I'm touched really cry when I mention my Samoan roots to other monikers whom don't know me that well, they automatically assume Oyinbo or Chinese Lol. But I'm happy you visited and had a great experience. kiss

3 Likes

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 1:52am On Nov 13, 2015
Adanna28:

Wow! Babe I'm so happy you visited! Glad the hospitality was great, we are very accommodating and smiley bunch cheesy

I'm touched really cry when I mention my Samoan roots to other monikers whom don't know me that well, they automatically assume Oyinbo or Chinese Lol. But I'm happy you visited and had a great experience. kiss
the pleasure is all mine darling. I love the happy people of the Pacific. Polynesia is filled with lovely islands and I always implore my friends to visit. Most of my mates here are either Fijians, Tuvalus, Niueans or Tongans. I'm always happy around them. They ve great food too.
Maybe I ll marry a Samoan man, since its the men's place to cook for the family in the culture...lol. The Tatau adds a unique beauty to the men.
As for those who think you re Asian, why not enlighten them on the Origin of Samoa's Sea-faring Ancestors from Ancient Taiwan, who came upon the Pacific Island, settled therein and started spreading their tentacles. Some while afterwards, some Africans from the Tanganyika (Now Tanzania) found the pleasant islands while on a voyage, settled there, integrated and married the islanders of Taiwanese Descent, hence the mixed look of majority of the Pacific Peoples. That's the version my Fijian and Papua New-guinea colleague gave me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 2:10am On Nov 13, 2015
[quote author=VivaVivre post=39964444] the pleasure is all mine darling. I love the happy people of the Pacific. Polynesia is filled with lovely islands and I always implore my friends to visit. Most of my mates here are either Fijians, Tuvalus, Niueans or Tongans. I'm always happy around them. They ve great food too.
Maybe I ll marry a Samoan man, since its the men's place to cook for the family in the culture...lol. The Tatau adds a unique beauty to the men.
As for those who think you re Asian, why not enlighten them on the Origin of Samoa's Sea-faring Ancestors from Ancient Taiwan, who came upon the Pacific Island, settled therein and started spreading their tentacles. Some while afterwards, some Africans from the Tanganyika (Now Tanzania) found the pleasant islands while on a voyage, settled there, integrated and married the islanders of Taiwanese Descent, hence the mixed look of majority of the Pacific Peoples. That's the version my Fijian and Papua New-guinea colleague gave me. [Quote]

cheesy I've never heard that version before but I like it! I did hear about the Taiwanese part but I never really acknowledged it because though I look Samoan my features are also of the big kind and Asians have very petite features grin probably the eyes, my sister that 27 looks more Asian looking out of us siblings, blood very mixed but I'm open to possibilities cool

1 Like

Re: Samoan Proverbs by iPopAlomo(m): 6:47am On Nov 13, 2015
I was wondering... who was liking all the posts...??

1 Like

Re: Samoan Proverbs by Nobody: 7:25am On Nov 13, 2015
iPopAlomo:
I was wondering... who was liking all the posts...??

Bawo ni?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Biography OF Pericoma Okoye / Accelerationism / Meanings Of Names?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.