Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:44 PM

Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway (10038 Views)

Construction Work Begins On 100km Road In Ogun / Work Begins On 10 New Rail Lines / Work Begins On $3bn Lagos Light Rail (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by asha80(m): 10:32pm On Apr 18, 2009

Friday, April 17, 2009

Work begins on 10-lane Lagos-Badagry highway
By Felix Kuye

ALL is now set to translate the dreams of a 10-lane Lagos-Badagry Highway and the Lekki-Ikoyi Road into realities by the Lagos State government with the presentation of cheques to the contractor, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc.

advertisement

The cheques are meant for the Lekki-Ikoyi road project and the first phase of the 10-lane highway, which will begin from Eric Moore and end at Mile 2.

At the presentation of the cheques to representatives of Julius Berger at the state secretariat, Alausa, the Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Rotimi Oyekan, said details of financial commitments to the project will soon be made public.

According to him, the execution of the contracts indicates the commitment of Governor Babatude Fashola's administration to renewal of infrastructure in Lagos State for the benefit of all.

Oyekan said: "The Lagos-Badagry Expressway was first constructed by the Lagos State government under the administration of Gen. Mobolaji Johnson, the first military administrator of the state. Since then, the road has suffered massive erosion of infrastructure and abuse of space.

"We are commitment to renewing the infrastructure with a 10-lane highway that will provide the basis for modern transportation for the people who live and work in that corridor. It will also provide access for people who are coming to Nigeria from many parts of the West African sub-region."

On the fate of those whose property were demolished as a result of the project, the commissioner said: "If we have wrongfully taken over the asset of any individual or group, the state government will pay. But it must be understood that the original right-of-way in that corridor is a minimum of 100 metres from one end of the road to the other. So, any structure that is obstructing that right-of-way obviously has no legal basis for being there. People who have valid claims can come forward and we will look at them, but I can say to you that the right-of-way for this particular road has been there from the time the road was first constructed. The alignment has always been there and that is what we have designed into."

On the light rail part of the project, Oyekan said the state government "is working hard to finalise that, and very soon, the state governor will make a pronouncement on the issue. But certainly, the light rail part of the contract will also be executed".

According to the commissioner, the contract was awarded to Julius Berger who constructed the road originally and knows the history of the road. He said the considerations for awarding the contract to Julius Berger by the state Tenders Board and the executive council were wide.
http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/17/23.html
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 18, 2009
i have no problem with this. infact i praise the guys behind this project.
but for how long are these guys going to ignore Niger Bridge and the roads that lead to the east?
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by asha80(m): 10:45pm On Apr 18, 2009
OMO IBO:

i have no problem with this. infact i praise the guys behind this project.
but for how long are these guys going to ignore Niger Bridge and the roads that lead to the east?

I think it is lagos state govt that is doing this not federal govt.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Nobody: 10:50pm On Apr 18, 2009
pardon me, express roads or motorways are federal roads arent' they? shouldn't the FG be responsible for whatever happens to it?
or did Lagos State take it upon themselves?
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by asha80(m): 10:54pm On Apr 18, 2009
OMO IBO:

pardon me, express roads or motorways are federal roads arent' they? shouldn't the FG be responsible for whatever happens to it?
or did Lagos State take it upon themselves?

From the story i think that is the case.

ALL is now set to translate the dreams of a 10-lane Lagos-Badagry Highway and the Lekki-Ikoyi Road into realities by the Lagos State government with the presentation of cheques to the contractor, Julius Berger Nigeria Plc.

advertisement

The cheques are meant for the Lekki-Ikoyi road project and the first phase of the 10-lane highway, which will begin from Eric Moore and end at Mile 2.

At the presentation of the cheques to representatives of Julius Berger at the state secretariat, Alausa, the Commissioner for Finance, Mr. Rotimi Oyekan, said details of financial commitments to the project will soon be made public.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Nobody: 10:57pm On Apr 18, 2009
my apologies. i didnt bother reading the post as i thought the powers that be are at it again.
my apologies again.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by ilaugh1: 11:01pm On Apr 18, 2009
Omo Ibo

You are a goat.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Nobody: 11:03pm On Apr 18, 2009
i_laugh, Thunder fire you
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by asha80(m): 11:04pm On Apr 18, 2009
i_laugh no come derail this thread.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by lucabrasi(m): 12:55am On Apr 19, 2009
OMO IBO:

my apologies. i didnt bother reading the post as i thought the powers that be are at it again.
my apologies again.
@the bolded
while im not criticising you for your comments as you have apologised to the threadster,im using it as a  template of comments a typical diasporian will make when critiquing government efforts without recourse to the underlying reasons,or the general mechanics surrounding them,while it is a known fact that there s been a failure in leadership,we should endeavour to give people the benefit of doubt especially if they have endeavoured to prove themselves,we should also imbibe the culture of praising and appreciating it when govt does  something right irrespective of it being our rights or not
@post
what can i say,fashola is has raised the stakes of good governance yet again,cant wait to see the next initiative he has up his sleeve on the whole kudos and more grease to his elbows and his cabinet
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Epiphany(m): 3:00pm On Apr 19, 2009
OMO IBO:

my apologies again.

Good man. I love the fact that you are quick to apologize when you realise you are wrong. I've always hoped that others on this forum would do the same.

For now, Fashola has managed to impress me as it seems like he is trying his best. I believe that even if he does not finish everything he has planned to do before he leaves office, the person following should build on what he has done. Let us wait and see if he gets his second term and how much he can achieve before then.

More grease to his elbows.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by MrCrackles(m): 3:08pm On Apr 19, 2009
Topic

Sounds good!
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by hiswill: 10:58am On Jul 31, 2009
We need update on the construction of lagos badagry express way for folks who are in diaspora, please. we learnt demolitions have started. we need pictures and news. We are praying hard that this project succeeds
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by puskin: 11:27am On Jul 31, 2009
Don't worry. Once it is Fashola induced, it is bound to nd will succeed
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by hiswill: 11:35am On Jul 31, 2009
Many tnx but please pictures and how far they have reached in the preparations/demilitions
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by asha80(m): 11:38am On Jul 31, 2009
Here are some demolishon pics.

Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by TippyTop(m): 11:42am On Jul 31, 2009
And we from the oil producing states would see these and marvel. How the f@ck did we allow our oil money to be squandered to build Lagos and Abuja?
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by asha80(m): 11:46am On Jul 31, 2009
Tippy Top:

And we from the oil producing states would see these and marvel. How the f@ck did we allow our oil money to be squandered to build Lagos and Abuja?

Foolishness and stupidity2
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by hiswill: 12:07pm On Jul 31, 2009
Many tnx for the pics which I think must be from orile/alaba oro are my right? and when was this please, probably they should have moved beyond. We pray for the Governor. The menace on Bagagry expressway is great
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by TippyTop(m): 9:50pm On Jul 31, 2009
@ asha 80
Foolishness and stupidity

Mind telling me what's stupid about my statement? Until you can produce your own oil > stfu.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by blacksta(m): 9:54pm On Jul 31, 2009
Tippy Top:

@ asha 80
Mind telling me what's stupid about my statement? Until you can produce your own oil > stfu.

nonsense as usual - Is oil the only way of generating income - I am sure u aware that lagos generates more than it monthly allocations from the FG
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Fhemmmy: 9:59pm On Jul 31, 2009
blacksta:

nonsense as usual - Is oil the only way of generating income - I am sure u aware that lagos generates more than it monthly allocations from the FG

Lagos has the capacity to generate so much money as revenue for the govt, however, they need to make things work better.
There is need for better road, and 24 hours stable electricity.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by jason123: 6:03pm On May 29, 2011
UPDATE!!! smiley

Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by jason123: 6:05pm On May 29, 2011
More UPDATE!!! smiley

Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by jason123: 6:05pm On May 29, 2011
God should help this man!!! Amen!
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by shanda(m): 9:00pm On May 29, 2011
Thanks for those pix.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Kobojunkie: 9:04pm On May 29, 2011
Lagos State government now taking this on after we have been told, over and over now, that the same Lagos State CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT rebuild any of the damaged Federal roads running through the state? If this is true, I would like to know what changed. How much is the state really investing in this? Is this really a State Project or the State handling it on behalf of the federal Government?

PS. When I read this earlier, I thought "Propaganda machine at work again" since the Lagos-Badagry road is a Federal road in the state.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by seanet02: 9:14pm On May 29, 2011
Lagos doing this on behalf of kobojunkie
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Mariory(m): 10:15pm On May 29, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Lagos State government now taking this on after we have been told, over and over now, that the same Lagos State CANNOT, I repeat, CANNOT rebuild any of the damaged Federal roads running through the state? If this is true, I would like to know what changed. How much is the state really investing in this? Is this really a State Project or the State handling it on behalf of the federal Government?

Extremely irrelevant and pointless. Send that question to the Lagos State government. The answers to your other questions are on the state government's website.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by Kobojunkie: 11:26pm On May 29, 2011
Mariory:

Extremely irrelevant and pointless. Send that question to the Lagos State government. The answers to your other questions are on the state government's website.

Well, here's me being glad for you that you have promoted yourself to level of judge and jury when it comes to what is extremely irrelevant and pointless on Nairaland. Good for you, and I do hope nairaland pays you something for your effort!!!

Anywho, to anyone else who is in the know, please inform us on what actually changed in this case, as it seems the "State" is now embarking on projects, that we were formerly informed, it had no power to. Have the laws been amended in some way to allow States take on these previously "Federally restricted" projects?

Just some weeks ago, I read that the same state has been embarking on power projects -- something we were told could never happen because the Federal Government somehow tied the states hands in that area. So, it makes sense to wonder what has changed at this point.

I know this particular Project was reported to be 70% completed sometime late last year(2010) but, I assumed back then that it was another Federal Government story. If Lagos state is to claim it, is Lagos also to claim the flaws that have resulted so far? I read last year that this particular expressway project was put on hold, what I want to know is if the state Government is not answer for that as well.
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by phantom(m): 11:27pm On May 29, 2011
Mariory:

not pointless at all, these questions in no way castigate the project, i think she genuinely wants to know(hope she proves me right)
Re: Work Begins On 10-lane Lagos-badagry Highway by gernded(m): 11:51pm On May 29, 2011
50% of the elected Governors are really trying,only if the FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WAKE UP AND JOIN THEM,ohh Nigeria will be great.
Up Fashola

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigeria Secret Service Discovers Wired Bomb / Adeyemi Ikuforiji (Lagos Speaker) In EFCC Custody Over 7 Billion Naira Fraud / US GOVT: Fayose’s Allegation On President Buhari’s Wife Aisha Was True (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.