Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) (3358 Views)

Ladies, Share Your Experience With A Misogynist (woman Hater) / L / I Think I Am A Misogynist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 12:45am On Sep 30, 2015
What Is A Misogynist? Misogyny ( noun) – hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women I’ve been doing some research on misogyny lately; mainly its symptoms and characteristics. Firstly, I should explain that misogyny is a deep hatred or contempt for women. It is a mental/psychological disorder which affects more men than I realized, and it can manifest itself in a variety of ways ranging from chauvinism or sexism to physical abuse and rape. What Causes A Man To Become A Misogynist? It seems that the root cause of misogyny has not been pinpointed, though theories point to upbringing, religious views or our patriarchal society in general. Perhaps these men grew up in dysfunctional families where they had a poor relationship with their mothers. As a mother myself, I cannot imagine the mother who is terrible enough to turn her son against more than half the planet. I still don’t get it. Maybe they grew up with fathers who believed that a woman’s place is in the home. Then, as more and more women moved out of this “norm”, the general feeling became that these women are bad people; thus women are bad people. These men often adopt the view that only mothers (homemakers) are good and wholesome. Women who want to work outside the home, educate themselves and not conform to the traditional roles of women are morally corrupt. This line of thinking is referred to as the mother/LovePeddler or virgin/LovePeddler dichotomy. That is to say, these men ascribe to the belief that only mothers and virgins are wholesome and good. Any woman who does not conform to tradition roles or maintain her virginity until marriage must be, in the misogynistic mind, a LovePeddler. Many religions, including Christianity , teach that the man is the head of the woman. I’ve always believed that to mean that the man should take the lead in providing for, planning the future for, and setting the standards for his household. Unfortunately, the misogynist will misinterpret (often purposely) this to mean that man should dominate the woman, that he is superior to the woman and that she should be under his complete control. And let’s not forget about EVE – she messed the whole thing up for everyone, right? How To Recognize The Symptoms Whatever the cause, the more I learn about misogyny, the more I recognize how prevalent it is in today’s society. It’s disturbing in that there are so many subtle traits that are easy to ignore until you see them lumped together in a list. So… I am providing you with a list. Some of these behaviors are obvious; others I would have never thought of. I think you’ll be surprised as well. • Thinks his masculinity depends on dominating women. • Controls women by destroying their self- confidence • Needs to insure that women are always less powerful than he • Intimidates women by constantly finding fault with them • Humiliates women in public and devalues their opinions • Must ALWAYS win in a discussion with or about women – all encounters with or about women are seen as a battle to be won • Blames women for failings that are in no way related to them • Blame women for his own failings and shortcomings (or the failings and shortcomings of other men) • Denies women’s feelings and makes them wrong for feeling them • Makes jokes or derogatory comments about women and then ridicules any woman who gets offended or upset • Belittles or ignores women’s accomplishments • Wants to punish any woman who displeases him • Has no remorse or guilt for the pain he causes women • Tries to keep women from doing things they are qualified to do • Selectively quotes authorities to substantiate his views and positions on women • Will confuse issues by changing the subject, denial, word jugglery, lying, twisting the facts or acting as if nothing happened (when you both know that it did) • A knight in shining armor – zeroes in on a woman to “save” • Extremely possessive, wants all of your time and undivided attention • Obsessively jealous, even of your women friend. Wants you to account for any time spent away from him • Is preoccupied with sex and is sexually controlling • Has grandiose behavior; cocky and self centered • Has first class spending habits; always wanting more. • Can’t stand criticism; always on the defense • He has problems with authority figures in general and women in authority in particular. • Is nasty behind the wheel and feels that other drivers’ mistakes are directed toward him personally • Has a Jekyll and Hyde personality - Nice to you in public, but cuts you down in private • Always the victim; takes no responsibility; blames others/things/circumstances for his behavior • Overly sensitive and sulking when he does not get his way • Steals, uses people, always borrowing but never pays back • Give gifts then demands favors • Professes religious beliefs then attacks your religious beliefs

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by cocoberry(f): 12:47am On Sep 30, 2015
Haba!
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 12:58am On Sep 30, 2015
Still wondering why a sane person will choose to hate women,,
The earth ll be boring without em.
#fact#
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 1:07am On Sep 30, 2015
This is a boring post . . .

2 Likes

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by F22RAPTOR(m): 1:09am On Sep 30, 2015
Expecting a counter thread... grin

1 Like

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by liquidmetall: 1:14am On Sep 30, 2015
Don't know what to say
With all these your whirligigs

1 Like

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 1:14am On Sep 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
This is a boring post . . .

thank you
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 1:15am On Sep 30, 2015
liquidmetall:
Don't know what to say With all these your whirligigs

thank you,you don't need to say much
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 1:19am On Sep 30, 2015
esosa993:

thank you
No . . . seriously. No need to put up a front.

You should try spacing it out and/or using a bigger font.

2 Likes

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 1:23am On Sep 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
No . . . seriously. No need to put up a front.

You should try spacing it out and/or using a bigger font.

okay
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by BeastOfNoNation(f): 2:44am On Sep 30, 2015
esosa993:
What Is A Misogynist?
Misogyny ( noun) – hatred, dislike, or mistrust of
women
I’ve been doing some research on misogyny lately;
mainly its symptoms and characteristics. Firstly, I
should explain that misogyny is a deep hatred or
contempt for women. It is a mental/psychological
disorder which affects more men than I realized,
and it can manifest itself in a variety of ways
ranging from chauvinism or sexism to physical
abuse and rape.
What Causes A Man To Become A
Misogynist?
It seems that the root cause of misogyny has not
been pinpointed, though theories point to
upbringing, religious views or our patriarchal
society in general. Perhaps these men grew up in
dysfunctional families where they had a poor
relationship with their mothers. As a mother
myself, I cannot imagine the mother who is terrible
enough to turn her son against more than half the
planet. I still don’t get it.
Maybe they grew up with fathers who believed that
a woman’s place is in the home. Then, as more
and more women moved out of this “norm”, the
general feeling became that these women are bad
people; thus women are bad people. These men
often adopt the view that only mothers
(homemakers) are good and wholesome. Women
who want to work outside the home, educate
themselves and not conform to the traditional roles
of women are morally corrupt. This line of thinking
is referred to as the mother/LovePeddler or virgin/LovePeddler
dichotomy. That is to say, these men ascribe to
the belief that only mothers and virgins are
wholesome and good. Any woman who does not
conform to tradition roles or maintain her virginity
until marriage must be, in the misogynistic mind, a
LovePeddler.
Many religions, including Christianity , teach that
the man is the head of the woman. I’ve always
believed that to mean that the man should take the
lead in providing for, planning the future for, and
setting the standards for his household.
Unfortunately, the misogynist will misinterpret
(often purposely) this to mean that man should
dominate the woman, that he is superior to the
woman and that she should be under his complete
control. And let’s not forget about EVE – she
messed the whole thing up for everyone, right?
How To Recognize The Symptoms
Whatever the cause, the more I learn about
misogyny, the more I recognize how prevalent it is
in today’s society. It’s disturbing in that there are
so many subtle traits that are easy to ignore until
you see them lumped together in a list. So… I am
providing you with a list. Some of these behaviors
are obvious; others I would have never thought of.
I think you’ll be surprised as well.
• Thinks his masculinity depends on dominating
women.
• Controls women by destroying their self-
confidence
• Needs to insure that women are always less
powerful than he
• Intimidates women by constantly finding fault
with them
• Humiliates women in public and devalues their
opinions
• Must ALWAYS win in a discussion with or about
women – all encounters with or about women are
seen as a battle to be won
• Blames women for failings that are in no way
related to them
• Blame women for his own failings and
shortcomings (or the failings and shortcomings of
other men)
• Denies women’s feelings and makes them wrong
for feeling them
• Makes jokes or derogatory comments about
women and then ridicules any woman who gets
offended or upset
• Belittles or ignores women’s accomplishments
• Wants to punish any woman who displeases him
• Has no remorse or guilt for the pain he causes
women
• Tries to keep women from doing things they are
qualified to do
• Selectively quotes authorities to substantiate his
views and positions on women
• Will confuse issues by changing the subject,
denial, word jugglery, lying, twisting the facts or
acting as if nothing happened (when you both
know that it did)
• A knight in shining armor – zeroes in on a
woman to “save”
• Extremely possessive, wants all of your time and
undivided attention
• Obsessively jealous, even of your women friend.
Wants you to account for any time spent away
from him
• Is preoccupied with sex and is sexually
controlling
• Has grandiose behavior; cocky and self centered
• Has first class spending habits; always wanting
more.
• Can’t stand criticism; always on the defense
• He has problems with authority figures in general
and women in authority in particular.
• Is nasty behind the wheel and feels that other
drivers’ mistakes are directed toward him
personally
• Has a Jekyll and Hyde personality - Nice to you
in public, but cuts you down in private
• Always the victim; takes no responsibility;
blames others/things/circumstances for his
behavior
• Overly sensitive and sulking when he does not
get his way
• Steals, uses people, always borrowing but never
pays back
• Give gifts then demands favors
• Professes religious beliefs then attacks your
religious beliefs
I completely agree with you op grin grin
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by naijaboiy: 3:46am On Sep 30, 2015
This is crap to me though. undecided

Seriously speaking,every man must have one or two of those features listed above and they don't even relate to misogyny in any way.

So here on Nairaland,when I see a female make a comment which does not go well with my own way of reasoning and I try to correct her or argue it with her then I'm a misogynyst? Simply because she's a female.

Lol,the writer of that crap should go back to her drawing board and make valid research.

3 Likes

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 6:12am On Sep 30, 2015
naijaboiy:

Seriously speaking,every man must have one or two of those features listed above and they don't even relate to misogyny in any way.

So here on Nairaland,when I see a female make a comment which does not go well with my own way of reasoning and I try to correct her or argue it with her then I'm a misogynyst? Simply because she's a female.

Lol,the writer of that crap should go back to her drawing board and make valid research.

thank you ..... I don't need to go back to any drawing board because am past that , if you like agree if you like don't agree am passing a solid message around,call it bull crap.....

there are many guys who have been rude to me on this section but does make hate men because of that, the reason I brought out this thread is because of people's bitterness toward women is so terrible here on naira land it getting too much.
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by osesology(m): 6:28am On Sep 30, 2015
naijaboiy:

Seriously man, I don't get it. Like me I don't like or go to churches where women are officiating because it iritates me. I guess that makes me a misogynist, right? I love and respect my girl, and even though my mum was never there for me right from when I was little up till now, I still love and respect her.

Some of the characteristics you listed above are just as a result of male ego and I believe almost every men has it, and not misogynist.

2 Likes

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by lilmax(m): 6:50am On Sep 30, 2015
CRAP
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by englishmart(m): 6:54am On Sep 30, 2015
[b] carry this your jampacked rubbish commot here[/n]

1 Like

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 7:02am On Sep 30, 2015
what if I tell you that I exhibit 90% of this attitude. . . . . that being said, I luv My woman.
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by IamLEGEND1: 7:04am On Sep 30, 2015
I have a thing against authority figures....a man or a woman.....
HOLY SHÍT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm A MISOGYNIST
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 7:08am On Sep 30, 2015
esosa993:

thank you,you don't need to say much

I am a proud misogynist.true in that mother and son relationship.mothers also contribute.
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 7:20am On Sep 30, 2015
i'v told this bloke above me he's gay not misogynist lipsrsealed
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 7:55am On Sep 30, 2015
hbpeze:

I am a proud misogynist.true in that mother and son relationship.mothers also contribute.

okay,good for you
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 8:01am On Sep 30, 2015
naijaboiy:

Op is an upcoming novice....
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Whobedatte(m): 8:14am On Sep 30, 2015
esosa993:

okay,good for you
Are you truly a married lady? Though not all your points there are valid
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 8:40am On Sep 30, 2015
Whobedatte:
Are you truly a married lady? Though not all your points there are valid

lol no am not married oooo, go and check my profile pix am young and fresh.
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by porozhniy(m): 11:00am On Sep 30, 2015
ok noted, at least they dnt want to kill all women unlike some sadists who want to nuke all males into oblivion including male foetus in their wombs.
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Whobedatte(m): 11:18am On Sep 30, 2015
esosa993:

LOL checked anyway, You look good. Se daadaa lo wa?Can we be friends?
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 12:00pm On Sep 30, 2015
esosa993:

see as you just objectified yourself. Later now, when men start treating you like so, you'll start complaining that they are mysognist, abi?
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 12:01pm On Sep 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
see as you just objectified yourself. Later now, when men start treating you like so, you'll start complaining that they are mysognist, abi?
Not necessarily objectified
(Not to be nosy) tongue

She described herself.

1 Like

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 12:23pm On Sep 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:
Not necessarily objectified (Not to be nosy) tongue
She described herself.
ah . . . Seriously . . .
Lemme nor talk again. cheesy
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 12:24pm On Sep 30, 2015
Teempakguy:
ah . . . Seriously . . .

Lemme nor talk again. cheesy
better dont! grin

just kidding. how are you today?

1 Like

Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by martius101(m): 12:34pm On Sep 30, 2015
esosa993:

young and weting abeg.....lol
Re: Characteristics Of A Misogynist (must Read) by Nobody: 12:37pm On Sep 30, 2015
MrsPhyno:

better dont! grin

just kidding. how are you today?
pulling through . . . Fairly nicely. Just woke up nii sef. angry
slept around six this morining. Having worked all night on an adamant laptop!

You nko? tongue

(1) (2) (Reply)

10 Reasons Nigerian Girls Ask For Money / What Is The Biggest Amount You Have Given A Girl You Dated Or Flirted With? / Important Tips On How To Make Your Girlfriend Love You More

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.