Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,096 members, 7,807,278 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:51 AM

Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' (5740 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Review Chimamanda's "the Thing Around Your Neck" Here / The Thing Around Your Neck - Chimanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by AloyEmeka9: 12:40am On Apr 19, 2009
Chimamanda out with new book
By Our Correspondent
Published: Friday, 10 Apr 2009
The award winning author, Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie is out with a new book. Titled The Thing Around Your Neck, the book is a collection of 12 short stories written by Adichie. Chimamanda has won awards for her books – Purple Hibiscus and Half of a Yellow Sun. This new book will be her third published work.

Adichie
Adichie is expected to be in Nigeria in July to promote the book.

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art200904094143745
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Ifez: 5:47pm On Apr 19, 2009
kool grin
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by spikedcylinder: 6:21pm On Apr 19, 2009
Where can one get this?

P.S What is that thing she's kissing?
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by mayrho(m): 1:36pm On Apr 20, 2009
The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie
The Times review by Bernardine Evaristo
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This stunning collection of short stories confirms Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie's position as one of Africa's brightest new literary stars. She is the author of two important novels about the Igbo people of Nigeria - Purple Hibiscus and the Orange prize-winning Half of a Yellow Sun - yet her writing is even more poignant when applied to the short story: crisp, succinct, vigorous and loaded.

Adichie was born and raised in Nigeria and now lives in America. These slice-of-life stories straddle both countries and dissect the imbalance of power and moral corruption in a wide range of relationships and settings. The first story, Cell One, shows a descent into lawlessness and police brutality that we've come to expect depicted in Nigerian literature. Yet in Adichie's hands it is seen afresh. The writer's cool, intelligent, observant, female antennae are sensitive to the subtleties of how people behave, and why, in this story about the interplay of motherhood and teenage waywardness. Set on a university campus, its young men belong to gangs who steal, fight and kill: “, eighteen-year-olds who had mastered the swagger of American rap videos were undergoing secret and strange initiations that sometimes left one or two of them dead on Odim Hill”. The female narrator's teenage brother, Nnamabia, is arrested by the police after one such gang has run riot, shooting students and escaping in a professor's car. As his mother's spoilt only son, it's unclear whether he is guilty of the shooting but he is imprisoned without charge and left to the mercy of corrupt policemen. It is to Adichie's credit that her writing is so understated that at the end of the story the reader is left to imagine what happens rather than being force-fed the gory details. Her endings are always unpredictable and suspenseful.

In A Private Experience two women take refuge in a shack in the middle of a riot carried out by Hausa Muslims against Igbo Christians in northern Nigeria a few years ago. One is an Igbo medical student, the other a Hausa market-trader, and their brief interaction affirms the power of humanity to resist and survive tribal warfare. All Adichie's stories are suffused with evocative atmospheric detail. The riot-torn streets outside the shack “smell like the kind of sky-coloured smoke that wafts around during Christmas when people throw goat carcasses into fires to burn the hair off the skin”. And there is plenty of quirky detail too. What do these two refugees from the riot talk about? Well, the Hausa woman thrusts her naked breasts at the medical student with the plea, “My nipple is burning like pepper”.

In her stories about immigration to the US, Adichie highlights the adjustments required when you arrive in the world's most powerful and pervasive country. She invites us to ask whether it is really worth it. In Imitation, a bored Igbo housewife, Nkem, has been deposited in a smart American suburb by her businessman husband while he lives in Nigeria. Despite being part of the “Rich Nigerian Men Who Send Their Wives to America to Have Babies” league, she is still a powerless “Bush Girl” who gets her English tenses mixed up. But finding that her husband has installed a mistress in their Nigerian home galvanises her inner warrior and she takes control of the situation, rendering him mute and compliant.
Related Links

* The Thing Around Your Neck by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

* The Sunday Times Oxford Literary Festival

* Diary: the the joys of water for a non-swimmer

Patriarchal attitudes are kicked in the groin in several of these stories. The Arrangers of Marriage shows a new wife arriving in Brooklyn to be treated by her dictatorial husband as something merely to use and abuse. She plans to leave him. In The Thing Around Your Neck an “uncle” who has enabled a young woman to live in the US expects sexual services in return. She refuses. Edward, the organiser of a workshop and prize for African writers in Jumping Monkey Hill, is pompous, lecherous and patronising. He also considers himself the arbiter of what is authentic in African fiction - despite being white, English and clueless. He gets his come-uppance.

Adiche pokes fun at US middle-class parental angst in On Monday of Last Week. Kamara, the nanny of the son of a neurotic father, describes the contents of their fridge: “The shop shelf was stacked with plastic bottles of juiced organic spinach. Cans of herbal tea had filled that space two weeks ago, when Neil was reading Herbal Drinks for Children, and before that it was soy beverages, and before that protein shakes for growing bones.” Yet the story also touches on lesbian desire. When the mother of the boy finally appears, Kamara falls prey to the power of the woman's ambiguous, flirtatious sexuality. A closet gay Nigerian man makes an appearance in The Shivering. Such sightings are rare in African fiction.

While there is a sense of anger at the injustices that Nigerians have to endure in their home country, these stories also question whether life in the US is any better. Many of the immigrants' stories are driven by loneliness and alienation and some do decide to return home - for better or worse. Adichie offers insights into both worlds and, like all fine storytellers, leaves us wanting more.

This lady is making continuous waves she dey rep Naija
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by IFELEKE1(m): 2:26pm On Apr 20, 2009
I read the review of her First Book, FAntastic!
The Lady Is Going Places.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by kay9(m): 3:50pm On Apr 22, 2009
I'm envious. There, i said it! grin

Abeg ride on, girl! Etch "Naija" on the world map.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Nobody: 10:06pm On Apr 22, 2009
Cool stuff.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by hackney(m): 10:14pm On Apr 22, 2009
The 2 best novels i have ever read are half of a yellow sun and purple hibiscus.(a white colleague actually gave me 'half of a yellow sun ' to read;imagine the popularity!)
This is despite reading books by authors like jeffrey archer,sidney sheldon.jackie collins etc (maybe its because i can relate)
She is so gifted;KUDOS!!
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by sosisi(f): 10:29pm On Apr 22, 2009
Is she married?
my brother is looking for an intelligent wife grin
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by ayowande(m): 10:42pm On Apr 22, 2009
When i first read Chimamanda's books i was stunned and converted.I could race along the pages as she describes the university setting pre-civil war.I constantly had to check to see if Chi is a girl with the way she describes the male sexuality with such poignancy that i know i can put words together on my feelings.I knew what it is like to be sad-really sad when just when the brutality and the massacre called a war was ending the character's sister (can't remember the name now) went missing.You'll never be able to tell if she was taken captive and is alive as some wife of a lecherous soldier or, she just leaves you to imagine.And think please of the way she makes you smile when you realize that what you been reading all along is what you have been guessing but have not been able to place a finger on it-that the lowly house boy is the narrator! and then you feel proud for him and that all of a sudden is some solace.
I have since gone to read Jude Dibia and please get his "unbridled" or his "Walking with Shadows". He is a master and the exact male equivalent of Chi. As for Chimamanda,ten thumbs up!
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by AloyEmeka9: 11:04pm On Apr 22, 2009

Is she married?
my brother is looking for an intelligent wife
osisi take your time. Your dollar power will not work this time because my brother is already making plans for her dowry. Give tpia/sherifatou to your brother.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by arogbowei: 11:40pm On Apr 22, 2009
Ride on daughter of Africa, citizen of the world. I am proud of you.

It's not all about yahoo yahoo, drugs and kidnapping. This is truly refreshing.

Where can I grab a copy?
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by bigboyslim(m): 12:55am On Apr 23, 2009
I read Half of a yellow sun and was completely blown away. I'm not really a novel person but that book was so good i read it cover to cover. I bet this new one will be another must read.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by OgidiBoy(m): 1:00am On Apr 23, 2009
I'm all into chimamanda's books she is one very intelligent lady, I'll marry her.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Anikeji: 4:07am On Apr 23, 2009
Read purple hibiscus and loved it, trying to start on the Half of a Yellow Sun, and definitely looking forward to this one.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Utali(m): 8:33am On Apr 23, 2009
OgidiBoy:

I'm all into chimamanda's books she is one very intelligent lady, I'll marry her.

Wake up, It is early morning you shouldn't be dreaming grin grin grin
She is already married, it is still a secret tho tongue
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by essentialB(f): 8:45am On Apr 23, 2009
arogbowei:

Baby you are the one. Nigeria; Great nation, wonderful people
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by bluespice(f): 8:51am On Apr 23, 2009
i love her!
she's so proud of her country
she makes me proud of being a Nigerian kiss
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by eldee(m): 9:26am On Apr 23, 2009
In A Private Experience two women take refuge in a shack in the middle of a riot carried out by Hausa Muslims against Igbo Christians in northern Nigeria a few years ago. One is an Igbo medical student, the other a Hausa market-trader, and their brief interaction affirms the power of humanity to resist and survive tribal warfare. All Adichie's stories are suffused with evocative atmospheric detail. The riot-torn streets outside the shack “smell like the kind of sky-coloured smoke that wafts around during Christmas when people throw goat carcasses into fires to burn the hair off the skin”. And there is plenty of quirky detail too. What do these two refugees from the riot talk about? Well, the Hausa woman thrusts her naked breasts at the medical student with the plea, “My nipple is burning like pepper”.

In her stories about immigration to the US, Adichie highlights the adjustments required when you arrive in the world's most powerful and pervasive country. She invites us to ask whether it is really worth it. In Imitation, a bored Igbo housewife, Nkem, has been deposited in a smart American suburb by her businessman husband while he lives in Nigeria. Despite being part of the “Rich Nigerian Men Who Send Their Wives to America to Have Babies” league, she is still a powerless “Bush Girl” who gets her English tenses mixed up. But finding that her husband has installed a mistress in their Nigerian home galvanises her inner warrior and she takes control of the situation, rendering him mute and compliant.
I think she's the J.P Clark of the future . . . the way she highlights the life of the everyday Nigerian is amazing
She's not going for the exotic Abiku-style plots that fascinate the West, she's presenting modern Nigeria exactly the way it is.
Little wonder she's compared to the Margaret Atwoods of this world.
Wait . . . is that a review from the Times?? Damn, she's good!!!
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by C2H5OH(f): 9:29am On Apr 23, 2009
Not bad.  A few of those stories are widely available on the internet.  I posted some a while back, namely: You in America and A Private Experience.

I will post another one in a second.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by kay9(m): 9:32am On Apr 23, 2009
arogbowei:

It's not all about yahoo yahoo, drugs and kidnapping. This is truly refreshing.

Where can I grab a copy?

If you're in Lagos, check Kachifo Books - somewhere in Onikan. Check their site for the address: www.kachifo.com. If in P.H, check BookWorld near Rumurolu round-about.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by kay9(m): 9:41am On Apr 23, 2009
Ok, checked it myself. 25 Boyle street, Onikan - Lagos. I think you can buy it online right from the site, but the link seems to have a glitch.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Nobody: 11:14am On Apr 23, 2009
spikedcylinder:

Where can one get this?

P.S What is that thing she's kissing?

grin cheesy ikenga
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by MrCrackles(m): 11:47am On Apr 23, 2009
$osisi:

Is she married?
my brother is looking for an intelligent wife grin

You don miss road!

She is taken!! cheesy
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by JJYOU: 11:51am On Apr 23, 2009
Is she married?

sister nwabdo, your eyes sabi better thing. why you no give your bros NL comrades? dem no sharp reach abi?
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Nobody: 11:56am On Apr 23, 2009
Is she married?

No offense, but is your brother intelligent as well? Abi him wan come spoil the Adichie's brilliant lineage?

Just curious.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Nestoville(m): 12:18pm On Apr 23, 2009
I have read Chimamanda's book Purple Hibiscus, which i ordered from the Kachifo store last year, and i must confess i was touched. For someone used to reading a lot of foreign literature it was a relief to be able to read an indigenous author and not want to keep the book down. Her understanding and expression of our culture is impressive. I look forward to reading her latest book!
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by OLADO(m): 12:21pm On Apr 23, 2009
She is Gifted, Intelligent, talented and Beautiful too grin

Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by JJYOU: 12:25pm On Apr 23, 2009
nuzo:

No offense, but is your brother intelligent as well? Abi him wan come spoil the Adichie's brilliant lineage?

Just curious.
he must be judging by the sisters brain.

Nestoville:

I have read Chimamanda's book Purple Hibiscus, which i ordered from the Kachifo store last year, and i must confess i was touched. For someone used to reading a lot of foreign literature it was a relief to be able to read an indigenous author and not want to keep the book down. Her understanding and expression of our culture is impressive. I look forward to reading her latest book!
get the cd and hear her reading it. it is very good
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by favcom(m): 12:54pm On Apr 23, 2009
I haven't read any of her works but going by the accolades I assume she must be good.
There are still many other 'Adichies' around us if we look very well.
How do one get the kind of opportunity get gets as one living overseas?
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Nobody: 2:02pm On Apr 23, 2009
where is debosky grin

i seem to recall that back in the day he was carrying a major torch for Ms Adichie

may i seek out the thread

sorry na doyin13 embarassed grin grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-58821.32.html

Men, looking over your replies, it would seem like a sin to have a crush o.

@ davidylan I would have you know say my knowledge pass tennis. You dey look rennaisance black man for here. Literature, politics, sports, the whole enchilada. So all Chimamanda has to do is keep being herself. If na phonetics, she neva jam. By the time we finish, her moans will be heard not only in Rochester but the whole of New England.

You dig

As well as her books, I have also read the poems and short stories on her website.

If I were to go on Mastermind, my topic would be Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie: Life and Work.

I tell you I have got it bad.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by bulla77(m): 3:11pm On Apr 23, 2009
I am yet to read any of this beautiful womans[in evry way,i mean] books. From the reviews, i guess this is my loss. kudos. truly repin naija.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Smile Of Terror By Mbulu Mundia / The Choosen One {the Beast Of Gevaudan} Written By Horluwap1 / IV Club's Creative Writing Competition 2017 | Winning Prize N70,000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.