Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,329 members, 7,780,851 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 12:33 AM

Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' (5731 Views)

Wole Soyinka: "InterInventions", My New Book Will Draw Blood / Review Chimamanda's "the Thing Around Your Neck" Here / The Thing Around Your Neck - Chimanda Adichie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by mystikal(m): 5:01pm On Apr 23, 2009
i read purple Hibiscus n "half of a yellow Sun", i am certain this one would be brilliant

She is an exceptional writer. she n jerome dickey seem 2 write in d same manner; simple yet very imaginative.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by ezeagu(m): 7:33pm On Apr 23, 2009
[size=13pt]SHe holding an orange (network company) fiction prize for Half of a yellow sun.[/size]
[img]http://s02.flagcounter.com/count/ps2/bg=FCFCFC/txt=5E5E5E/border=CCCCCC/columns=6/maxflags=248/viewers=0/labels=1/[/img]
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by sirwebs(m): 10:28pm On Apr 23, 2009
Never read her. Don't read contemporary Nigerian literature. Usually not good enough. Also read a lot of rather painful (am Igbo) Biafra stories while in school so i tend to avoid such stories.
Would love to read the short stories though. SHE'S AN INSPIRATION.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by shilling(f): 10:09am On Apr 24, 2009
sirwebs:

Never read her. Don't read contemporary Nigerian literature. Usually not good enough. Also read a lot of rather painful (am Igbo) Biafra stories while in school so i tend to avoid such stories.

I suggest u read Purple Hibiscus, that's an amazing book, take my word for it. I haven't read Half of a Yellow Sun cry but I'm going to ASAP and read her latest book too. I'm a huge fan, can't wait to read this.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by gReenmAn(m): 3:39pm On Apr 24, 2009
brain and beauty.
rare combination.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Oxone(m): 5:43am On Apr 25, 2009
The girl is just too good, she's making nigeria proud. smiley
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Realsam(m): 4:00pm On Apr 25, 2009
If you love her so much never leave your house without saying a word of prayer for her, never put a morsel of food in your mouth without telling her to the heavens. Whatever is good needs prayer and whatever is going to be good needs prayer. Chimamanda kudos to you girlfriend.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by kingoj: 4:56pm On Apr 25, 2009
I wonder what would have happened if Chimamanda did not pursue her dreams and follow her Talent

I used to imagine that Wole Soyinka as a Bank Executive, it would have been such a waste
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Realsam(m): 10:38am On Apr 26, 2009
Kingoj you are right but I just want you to know that if Wole Soyinka had been a bank worker may be by now he would have been the governor of all africa bank and the best bank worker in the world. All I'm saying is that he will be equally good at whatever he is doing, same principle apply, diligence, perseverance, consistence and you know the rest
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by chiacn: 9:26am On Apr 27, 2009
pls where can i get the books .
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by shilling(f): 9:29am On Apr 27, 2009
Any reliable book store around u should have it.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by spikedcylinder: 2:20pm On Apr 28, 2009
sirwebs:

Thats usually the initial expectation. . . . until you read one of her books. She's one of the most brilliant writers I've come across in recent times. smiley
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Ignatio(m): 9:08pm On Apr 28, 2009
I reside in Enugu. Anyone knows how to get her books over here? She's an inspiration,
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Swissess(f): 7:17pm On May 06, 2009
I love her books! I am a true fan and I really admire her for her ability to write.

some of her short stories can be read here:

http://www.l3.ulg.ac.be/adichie/cnalinks.html
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by Swissess(f): 7:21pm On May 06, 2009
I saw her books at Abuja and Lagos Airport.

and in the Glendora Bookshop in Falomo Shopping Complex. http://www.glendorabooks.net/gbooks2/contactinfo
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by AloyEmeka9: 5:04pm On May 09, 2009
Pirated cheaper copies will be out very soon at ojuelegba.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by MsMong: 12:51pm On Jan 14, 2010
the book is beautiful, dunno where she gets her ideas from,but they're just plain genius,
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by queenesthr(f): 5:17pm On Jan 14, 2010
Am not a fan. I read Purple Hibiscus and I was not impressed. She spent so much time describing people and places and no event seemed to be taking place.
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by MsMong: 11:57am On Jan 15, 2010
wit her books,u tend to feel errthng the characters do, esp in 'purple hibiscus' when kam develops a crush on the young priest,
u can totally relate to errthng she feels, wink, i think she's really gud sha, she tends to take d reader along,err step of the way,
Re: Chimamanda's New Book: 'The Thing Around Your Neck' by MyneWhite1(f): 9:37pm On Jan 15, 2010
She is an inspiration.

(1) (2) (Reply)

You Are Fired! A Story By Heromaniaa / THE BANG RULE : How To Be A Romantic King / Memoirs Of A HUSTLER.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.