Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,947 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:34 PM

Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? (1134 Views)

What Does You Nigerian Surname Say About You? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by leXHansplaCE(m): 3:57pm On Sep 30, 2015
An area rich in minerals and assets. Without a doubt the wealthiest mainland on the planet. Yet we are named the poorest landmass as measured by GDP per capita.

- I wouldn't accuse our pioneers per say( despite the fact that we've had a decent amount of mentally tested pioneers), I would reprimand ourselves.

- Our state of mind towards others is what's slaughtering us. We ought to have the propensity for helping one another inwardly, mentally, profoundly and physically. In any case, rather we begrudge other individuals' prosperity, we make pointless strain, we fill our musings and activities with shrewdness.

- I long for a united Africa. A spot where race, religion and ethnicity shouldn't be a boundary yet rather an impetus for advancement. I long for a united Africa....a place we can call home.

- Igbo and proudly Nigerian and proudly African.....

What about u?...

1 Like

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Sep 30, 2015
I heard igbo men are handsome grin
Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by leXHansplaCE(m): 4:17pm On Sep 30, 2015
KashyBaby:
I heard igbo men are handsome grin

lolz, yea right... we are....what about you?

2 Likes

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by tpiander: 4:40pm On Sep 30, 2015
leXHansplaCE:
a place we can call home.

good luck with that.
Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by NOBODYY: 4:46pm On Sep 30, 2015
An igbo man just said he is a nigerian shocked shocked
Am very sure the self acclaimed biafrans will insult the hell outta him now
Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by leXHansplaCE(m): 5:36pm On Sep 30, 2015
NOBODYY:
An igbo man just said he is a nigerian shocked shocked
Am very sure the self acclaimed biafrans will insult the hell outta him now

am Nigerian..... i am Igbo and would not delve into something that brings a reason for division...... any true Nigerian who witnessed the war (OUR FATHERS AND MOTHERS) will definitely say no to BIAFRA..... lets ask the true elders of the IGBOLAND...

ONE NIGERIA...

2 Likes

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by NOBODYY: 6:58pm On Sep 30, 2015
leXHansplaCE:

am Nigerian..... i am Igbo and would not delve into something that brings a reason for division...... any true Nigerian who witnessed the war (OUR FATHERS AND MOTHERS) will definitely say no to BIAFRA..... lets ask the true elders of the IGBOLAND...

ONE NIGERIA...

U get mouth jare....One love! cool

1 Like

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by Fulaman198(m): 7:13pm On Sep 30, 2015
I really like your thought process OP. Remember, United we stand divided we fall. Many western countries would like to see us fall and fail. They don't want to see a black country do well. That's the reason why we need to rid ourselves of ethnic bigotry and religious bigotry. We are living in the 21st century and the only things that should be on our minds are technological and medical advancements. We won't be capable of this if we are not of similar mindset.

4 Likes

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by tpiander: 8:02pm On Sep 30, 2015
Preach it.

1 Like

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by zendy: 11:29am On Oct 02, 2015
Im an Igbo man and a proud one too. The term "Nigerian" is an illegal identity foisted on us all by the British and enforced by the guns of Lord Lugard. While I don't begrudge anyone who embraces this British identity, I do have an axe to grind with any Igbo who places this foreign identity above the identity of his forefathers. How can any Igbo man say he is 'first a Nigerian' before being Igbo? Sounds fishy to me. What was this Igbo man before the British came? What would he have been if the British had never come? My late Grandfather was born in 1902. He told me before he died that he did not know he had been made a Nigerian until 1920. I believe that if we Igbos are to assume any national identity, it must be the one we choose for our selves and not the one the White man gave us. I accepted the Biafran identity, nobody forced it on me.

2 Likes

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by ezeagu(m): 12:09pm On Oct 02, 2015

2 Likes

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by leXHansplaCE(m): 3:24pm On Oct 03, 2015
zendy:
Im an Igbo man and a proud one too. The term "Nigerian" is an illegal identity foisted on us all by the British and enforced by the guns of Lord Lugard. While I don't begrudge anyone who embraces this British identity, I do have an axe to grind with any Igbo who places this foreign identity above the identity of his forefathers. How can any Igbo man say he is 'first a Nigerian' before being Igbo? Sounds fishy to me. What was this Igbo man before the British came? What would he have been if the British had never come? My late Grandfather was born in 1902. He told me before he died that he did not know he had been made a Nigerian until 1920. I believe that if we Igbos are to assume any national identity, it must be the one we choose for our selves and not the one the White man gave us. I accepted the Biafran identity, nobody forced it on me.

Clear points.... Yet we remember how the Name Nigeria and what it stands for.... 'I like how direct you made your point and the part you said 'nobody forced it on you'...
Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by leXHansplaCE(m): 3:26pm On Oct 03, 2015
Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by anonymous6(f): 3:28pm On Oct 04, 2015
Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by bukster(f): 4:18pm On Oct 04, 2015
I'm Nigerian. I hate it when you ask people where they are from and they say Africa. Africa is the second biggest continent in the world and there are 54 countries within it. Saying that they're from Africa doeesnt narrow anything down, I already knew they were from Africa because of their skin colour. Its so annoying and all it does it add to the belief that Subsahran Africa is one homogeneous entity and we are actually the most diverse place on earth.

1 Like

Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by leXHansplaCE(m): 10:12pm On Oct 04, 2015
bukster:
I'm Nigerian. I hate it when you ask people where they are from and they say Africa. Africa is the second biggest continent in the world and there are 54 countries within it. Saying that they're from Africa doeesnt narrow anything down, I already knew they were from Africa because of their skin colour. Its so annoying and all it does it add to the belief that Subsahran Africa is one homogeneous entity and we are actually the most diverse place on earth.

Clear thoughts you have there...
Re: Are You Nigerian.. Are You African? by Nobody: 10:45am On Oct 08, 2015
Nigeria must not be one for africa to flourish, stop insulting our collective sensibilities in regards to your statement about the biafran war. Long before the whites came we are the original landlords of our territory.

Good luck with your one nigeria,very soon it will be one Africa and then one world.

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Leadership In Arochukwu: Should Any Ezeogo Live Outside His Domain? / The Sudanese Latuka Tribe: Where Groom Kidnaps His Bride / The Reign And Death Of Last Hausa King Of Kano, Sarkin Kano Muhammadu Alwali II

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.