Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,806 members, 7,802,578 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God (5021 Views)

Poll: s Nigeria ready for these social security schemes? (state your reason)

Yes: 21% (8 votes)
No: 78% (29 votes)
This poll has ended

The Employed Should Help FG Pay 5k To The Unemployed - Sen. Bruce / N5,000 For The Poor: Katsina Women Storm Bank To Demand For APC Social Security / Senate Bill: Social Security For Unemployed Graduates & The Aged (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by AloyEmeka9: 9:02pm On Apr 19, 2009
Social security scheme for the unemployed coming
Govt to amend Health Insurance Act
From Dele Fanimo and Collins Olayinka, Abuja

BETTER days seem to be on the cards for the unemployed and other vulnerable groups in the country as the Federal Government has unfolded plans to establish an integrated social security scheme for them.

Besides, the Executive Secretary of the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS), Dr. Dogo Muhammad, has also said that a process to amend the NHIS Act was underway.

According to him, the amendment would include the formal sector and make it mandatory for all Nigerians to access the scheme.

The first stage to realising the new social security programme was unfolded in Abuja yesterday by the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Adetokunbo Kayode, while inaugurating the National Working Committee on Social Security Policy for Nigeria headed by former Head of State, Dr. Yakubu Gowon.

Kayode lamented the absence of social security in Nigeria 49 years after independence despite the country being an active player in the International Labour Organisation's (ILO) affairs and playing host to the labour watchdog since 1960.

According to the minister, the inauguration of the national working committee on social security is informed by the urgent need to ensure that the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund (NSITF) executes its mandate of delivering social security to the poor.

His words: "Notwithstanding the fact that the Nigeria Social Insurance Trust Fund is empowered vide Section 71 (2) of the Pension Reform Act 2004 and Section 16 of the NSITF Act 1993 to provide social security services for Nigerians, the absence of a national policy has made it difficult for the Fund to implement its mandate. The funding of the scheme and the contingencies to be covered have not been clearly captured in the two legislations.

"It is also pertinent to mention that the different ministries, parastatals and agencies which provide various social protection activities in a rather uncoordinated manner has not been helpful in delivering social security benefits to the people."

The committee is saddled with drafting a holistic national social security policy that will take into cognisance the formal and informal sectors of the economy, recommend robust and sustainable financing options for an integrated system and also recommend an administrative structure for the implementation of an integrated national social security scheme with a view to harmonising the overlapping functions of agencies, departments and ministries.

While lauding Kayode for initiating a programme aimed at alleviating the suffering of the poor, Gowon described the welfare of the people as the primary responsibility of government and therefore stressed the need for harmonisation of all social security agencies.

He said: "Let me remind all of us that democracy is a means to having a people-oriented government and that the essence of government is basically the welfare and security of the people. Consequently therefore, social security becomes the first principle, which no government should toy with. I am happy that the present administration takes the issues of social protection with utmost seriousness."

On the amendment to the NHIS Act, Muhammad told The Guardian that: "I can tell you that the process of amending the Act establishing the NHIS is presently going on. Though the process is not at the National Assembly yet, we have started it because there is the need for all Nigerians to be able to access the contributory health scheme.

"As it is now, participatory is voluntary, which is not good enough. In other parts of the world, participatory is compulsory but now in Nigeria it is optional. In the nearest future, the scheme will be made compulsory so that every Nigerians irrespective of social standing will be able to access the contributory health care."

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/apr/17/7.html
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by AloyEmeka9: 9:04pm On Apr 19, 2009

The first stage to realising the new social security programme was unfolded in Abuja yesterday by the Minister of Labour and Productivity, Adetokunbo Kayode, while inaugurating the National Working Committee on Social Security Policy for Nigeria headed by former Head of State, Dr. Yakubu Gowon.

Kayode lamented the absence of social security in Nigeria 49 years after independence despite the country being an active player in the International Labour Organisation's (ILO) affairs and playing host to the labour watchdog since 1960.
How will they sustain the social security system without proper identification and tax culture in Nigeria?. Some people from Niger and Chad can come into the country and benefit from it while another citizen is busy working his butt off to pay the taxes. There will also be cases of people that receive it while working. It's a good step sha.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by macro: 9:09pm On Apr 19, 2009
only in nigeria grin

wuru wuru to the ans undecided
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by AloyEmeka9: 9:11pm On Apr 19, 2009
only in nigeria

wuru wuru to the ans
You need to give them a benefit of doubt. It may work out you never know. Let's wait, pray and see at least it will reduce the number of armed robbers, alayes and almajiris on the streets.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by toshacer: 9:12pm On Apr 19, 2009
another oppotunity given by the poster for people who know nothin to continue to bash Nigeria.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by biina: 9:17pm On Apr 19, 2009
Unemployment benefits in Nigeria is the stupidest thing I have heard in a while. Why cant Nigerian think before trying to adopt every single practice of the developed countries.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Kobojunkie: 9:23pm On Apr 19, 2009
I am not clear on where exactly funding will be coming from. From Employers, from the government or both? Or is this solely for civil servants?
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by spoilt(f): 9:25pm On Apr 19, 2009
Another chance for touts to be fed. grin
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by SisiJinx: 9:25pm On Apr 19, 2009
@ Topic
Tee hee hee grin

It amuses me when Naija tries to feel among!!!

How are they gonna keep track? Oh wait, I forgot they are gonna use the almighty, all seeing and all knowing computer.

But. . . but how are they gonna power it. . . what with no light and all?

And these are just the basics. . .

Hmmm, more sleepless nights for some people. cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Hauwa1: 9:30pm On Apr 19, 2009
another chance to steal

lipsrsealed
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Skywalker5(m): 10:44pm On Apr 19, 2009
Sisi Jinx:

@ Topic
Tee hee hee grin

It amuses me when Naija tries to feel among!!!

How are they gonna keep track? Oh wait, I forgot they are gonna use the almighty, all seeing and all knowing computer.

But. . . but how are they gonna power it. . . what with no light and all?

And these are just the basics. . .

Hmmm, more sleepless nights for some people. cheesy cheesy cheesy

Got a pont there.i feel the social security would be to control people and mayb help solve crime problem or other things but for benefits,its a country whose economy is stable that does that.

Could work sha if they have a nice plan
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by ElRazur: 10:51pm On Apr 19, 2009
Lol. This is just funny. How will these be funded? Anyway, let us hope they can pull it off. smiley
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by AloyEmeka9: 11:59pm On Apr 19, 2009
People, it will be funded from your taxooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh only that the unemployed are higher in number to the employed. Up Yaradua.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Kobojunkie: 12:22am On Apr 20, 2009
What tax?
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by TOYOSI20(f): 12:27am On Apr 20, 2009
Nice move. . . .i’m all for it. . . .but the problem is, “will the funds get into the appropriate hands”?? undecided

Those who essentially need it may be robbed off their entitlement. . . .cos of corruption, bribe, and fraudulent folks in charge!!! angry angry

Well lets see how it goes sha!! undecided
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by AloyEmeka9: 1:29am On Apr 20, 2009

What tax?
Income tax and other revenue taxes.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by strangleyo: 1:46am On Apr 20, 2009
You cant have a social security system without a running property tax and personal income tax systems.

This is a sham.

white elephant loot scheme for future welfare millionaire kings!

What we need to do is liberalize the property markets first and allow nigerians to build home equity. Then allow the state to collect the appropriate property taxes (our current system is a sham).

We need to bring the gray market to light so we can tax it.

Then we can think about redistribution.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by biina: 2:48am On Apr 20, 2009
strangleyo:

You cant have a social security system without a running property tax and personal income tax systems.

This is a sham.

What we need to do is liberalize the property markets first and allow nigerians to build home equity. Then allow the state to collect the appropriate property taxes (our current system is a sham).

I don't get what you think property and income taxes have to do with social security? How do you liberalize the unrestricted property market in Nigeria?
You sound just like others that feel the way to move Nigeria forward is by adopting all socio-economic practices of the US and/or UK
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by davidif: 3:52am On Apr 20, 2009
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah nooooooooooooooooo o abeg shocked shocked, social security is about to bankrupt America in the coming years because the baby boomers (those born between 1946 and 1964) are about to retire and Nigerians stupidly want to start there own social security. Why not create a better system where people can work hard and take care of  themselves rather than relying on the govt.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Moonstone(f): 4:09am On Apr 20, 2009
I think they need to plan this in a better format. Do they know how many unemployed people are out there? Can they sustain the high population of the unemployed people? They want to go bankrupt, I don't think economic recession and monocropping is enough for them yet. They better settle the basic infrastructure instead of thinking of this right now. We have more pressing issues.
This will only be an avenue for more corruption.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Nobody: 4:10am On Apr 20, 2009
Moonstone:

I think they need to plan this in a better format. Do they know how many unemployed people are out there? Can they sustain the high population of the unemployed people? They want to go bankrupt, I don't think economic recession and monocropping is enough for them yet. They better settle the basic infrastructure instead of thinking of this right now. We have more pressing issues.
This will only be an avenue for more corruption.
My sentiments exactly.

B,T,W is thise going to help the old people in the villages too?
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by AloyEmeka9: 5:03pm On Apr 20, 2009

This is a sham.

angry angry angry angry
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Eziachi: 6:21pm On Apr 20, 2009
This is laughable, isn't this another gimmick scheme to steal money by Nigerian rogue rulers?
Another version of old Babangiida's Peoples Bank brewing again.
How can a nation with no known record keeping or data system ever to run a social security scheme?
How will they know who has a job and who hasn't got a job, as there are no tax record in Nigeria? A nation where a normal street person never pays taxes at all and the rich people pays only what they think their God todl them in their sleep they should pay and they do so mainly to get their tax papers for a possible visa processsing as that is compulsory with many embassies in Nigeria.

As we speak, Nigeria has no known record of birth, death of it's citizens. Nigerian demographic areas are never postcoded.  And post office system which forms the engine of any social security system is non existence, and don't even had useful postal stamps to sell when you needed it and now will be expected to use a computer? That is assuming that computer run on Bereck or Varta batteries.
People in Nigeria moves about like roaming animals without any legal known address system, that means you can claim at 9.am in Ogun state and by 9.30 you're in Lagos claiming too. In Nigeria people quotes any age they feel like quoting when it suits the occassion. I had a school friend who was 19 years through out our school years and I am sure she is still that age now despite this was more than 20 years ago.

Police has no record of criminals, no record of criminal convictions/records, or minimal things like motoring offences, hence a single car in Nigeria during it's life time can wear as many colours as the owner is willing to smack on it's body, while in many countries even as remote as Cameroon or Gabon,  automobiles can only bear one single body colour through out it's life shelf on the road.
Will they be paying it by cash or straight to the bank?  And how many Nigerians runs a bank account? Assuming it's by cash, those paying out the money will be opening ghost bank accounts  with ever willing bank mismanagers, where they will be paying the whole money into or demand 10 percent of the money before you get your pay.
Do you remember the toll gates?  Where the toll collectors usually have two different toll tickets, one from the govt and the other from them. For any ten vehicles that pass the gate, govt ticket sales once and their ticket sell nine.
Nigeria, please, Give me a break!!!!!!
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by dbisiback: 6:26pm On Apr 20, 2009
grin grin grin This is just laughable, Nigeria that has no record, incredible!

Reminds me of the stress we had to go through in those days to get 500 naira bursary
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by ElRazur: 6:28pm On Apr 20, 2009
Eziachi:

This is laughable, isn't this another gimmick scheme to steal money by Nigerian rogue rulers? Another of Babangiida's Peoples Bank brewing. How can a nation with no known record keeping or data system ever to run a social security scheme?
How will they know who has a job and who hasn't as there are no tax record in Nigeria? where a normal street person never pays tax and rich people pays only what they are willing to give up and mostly to get their paper for visa processsing as that is compulsory with many embassies in Nigeria.

As we speak, Nigeria has no record of birth, death. Areas are never postcoded, post office which form the engine of any social security is non existence. People move about like roaming animal without any legal known address system, people quotes any age they feel like quoting when it suits the occassion.

Police has no record of criminals, no record criminal convictions or things like motoring offences, hence a single car in Nigeria during it's life time can bear as many colours as the owner is willing to smack on it's body, while in many countries even as little as Cameroon and Gabon every car can only bear one single body colour through out it's life shelf on the road.
Will they pay it by cash or straight to the bank and how many Nigeria run a bank account? If it's by cash, those paying out will be opening ghost accounts where they will be paying the whole money into. Do you remember the toll gates? Give me a break!!!!!!

That is a very funny post. Keep it up. Lmao. It is very funny and very true. I wonder if the poster call I_laugh is having a mental fit just reading this.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Afam4eva(m): 6:40pm On Apr 20, 2009
SSN ke? Let's first know how many we're to start with.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by cvibe: 6:52pm On Apr 20, 2009
Really?
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by roodest: 6:58pm On Apr 20, 2009
Hahahah!
this country will not kill me o!
chai! I cant stop laffin.

my fellow nigerians,

I hope that old 'educated' man of many accolades realizes that employment rate is nearly 80% plus in the country.
so, as hard as the remaining 1/5th are having it already him wan add mandatory bukata for their neck.

does this even make any sense at all?! a small bulk of the population donating to sustain the huge majority.
my friend it's suppose to be the other way around.

lets not even forget that the 'other' factor go enter matter: men gettting benefits with multiple id, even when dem get job already. or better still men making becoming 'professional' benefit earners, heheh

abeg brainstorm more innovative means of sustainable job creation and stop insulting the intelligence of the nigerian with all this your imported mumu-nes.

with acute mixed emotions,
it's me,
mr common sense
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Redman44(m): 7:04pm On Apr 20, 2009
A social security scheme will not work in Nigeria until the Government improves on Records and Data keeping. I don't even know where any Register office in Nigeria is located. That's if Register offices exist in Nigeria. We are very bad at keeping data and maintaining records unlike advanced nations. I was shocked in 2005, when I saw NYSC forms that were dumped below a staircase in Ondo State. That goes to show how we value personal details in Nigeria. Can someone who served in 1997 be able to get hold of his NYSC records in 2020?

@ Eziachi

You have spoken well. God bless you. Cheers.
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Eziachi: 7:39pm On Apr 20, 2009
dbisiback:

grin grin grin This is just laughable, Nigeria that has no record, incredible!

Reminds me of the stress we had to go through in those days to get 500 naira bursary

Yeah I remeber the bursary, I use to spend more than the money I wanted to collect on transport before I get mine and on one occasion, the bursar decided that she will pay me 50 naira in coins or a choice that I should get less in bank notes.
And I was having non of it, I stayed their for more than 6 hours before she paid me in bank notes.
Can you imagine that!
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by roodest: 7:41pm On Apr 20, 2009
mumu country like ours, we wan run we no wan walk first
Re: Social Security Scheme For The Unemployed Coming To Nigeria: Praise God by Tstark(m): 8:11pm On Apr 20, 2009
@Eziachi
You have single handedly ended this post with your response. I agree with everything you posted word for word. The only thing you seemed to leave out is the fact that we don't even have power [electricity] and dem wan implement welfare?? As Fela would say: wuruwuru for dem front and wuruwuru for dem back now. The fact that this idea was even tabled should warrant a dirty slap from whoever suggested it!!!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Do Not Support Boko Haram - Tinubu / Lokoja: A State Capital With No Single Good Road (full Pictures / Dear Unemployed Youths, Before You Shout GEJ Till 2019, Remember These Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.