Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,501 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:38 PM

Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) (2121 Views)

NLANDERS HELP!!!....A BROTHER IS AT A CROSSROAD. / Lecturer’s Wife Delivers Baby For Bricklayer Lover (pics) / Wife Of LASU Lecturer Pregnant For Her Bricklayer Lover (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by shaxxjesse: 9:57am On Oct 01, 2015
happy independence to all Nigerians.
i need the advice of my dear experienced and knowledgeable folks here .I am by name jesse, am from the north eastern part of nigeria. am presently a masters student somewhere outside nigeria, hoping to round up by january 2016. although, i have read threads discussing about lecturing job in nigeria, of which i find them interesting andf very helpful. straight to the point now.. am actually at a cross road, as to what decision to make. Do i continue with PHD immediately after my Msc or take up a lecturing job?
some points to clarify here is that, my school will give me scholarship immediately after the Msc prog, which am not gonna pay a dime for a school fees. also, am familiar with the system, hence i can round up the PHD program within 3 years.
another option is taking the lecturing job immediately after my Msc. the advantage here is i will be given a TETfund scholarship #9m# for PHD, of which i may have to work for around 2 years before i can further for the PHD.
which of the two options do i go for? and why
at what level will an inexperience PHD holder be placed in the university?
at what level will i be placed as a masters holder with 5 publications?
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by Terry68: 10:21am On Oct 01, 2015
First, I envy you.

shaxxjesse:

my school will give me scholarship immediately after the Msc prog, which am not gonna pay a dime for a school fees. also, am familiar with the system, hence i can round up the PHD program within 3 years.
another option is taking the lecturing job immediately after my Msc.
the advantage here is i will be given a TETfund scholarship #9m# for PHD, of which i may have to work for around 2 years before i can further for the PHD.

I think the bolded should answer your question.

Since your familiar with the routine enroll as a graduate assitant or get your job with tetfund.
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by Nobody: 10:29am On Oct 01, 2015
Lol at terry68. my guess ur still searching for a job hmm?
@op do u mind stating what ur line of study is,, xos dat will derermine if getting a phd is totally redundant.
Anyway, from what ive read i think its better u go for thw work after masters option since u r still guaranteed a sponsored phd study leave.
ppl need to know tha xperience always beats certificate. but ull still need a phd wiyh xpereince still to contest or deanship
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by praxs(m): 2:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
Am interested in this topic but people are not commenting.. Plz, advice is needed as it will help not only the op

1 Like

Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by pretty050(f): 3:13am On Oct 02, 2015
Lecture for two years or more, then you can take up the scholarship, I have seen many Junior lectures follow this pattern.
You are at advantage (north-earth) getting a job regardless for any option u choose
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by shaxxjesse: 5:56am On Oct 02, 2015
thanx all for your contribution, more comments please
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by Excellent7(m): 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2015
My genuine advice to you is to move straight on to your PhD.
Please hit with the hammer while the iron is hot.
Make use of the opportunity that you have now.
Finish your PhD and then you are free to start a lecturing career.
With 5 publications you are not doing badly.
Since your school is sponsoring you, it is somehow as if you are having "a TETFUND" funding.
Do not look at the monetary difference, look at the time difference; working for 2 years before being qualified to access the TETFUND thing.
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by shaxxjesse: 8:07am On Oct 03, 2015
Terry68:
First, I envy you.

I think the bolded should answer your question.

Since your familiar with the routine enroll as a graduate assitant or get your job with tetfund.
yu have a point there
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by shaxxjesse: 8:07am On Oct 03, 2015
enieme:
Lol at terry68. my guess ur still searching for a job hmm?
@op do u mind stating what ur line of study is,, xos dat will derermine if getting a phd is totally redundant.
Anyway, from what ive read i think its better u go for thw work after masters option since u r still guaranteed a sponsored phd study leave.
ppl need to know tha xperience always beats certificate. but ull still need a phd wiyh xpereince still to contest or deanship
my major is accounting sir
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by shaxxjesse: 8:08am On Oct 03, 2015
pretty050:
Lecture for two years or more, then you can take up the scholarship, I have seen many Junior lectures follow this pattern.
You are at advantage (north-earth) getting a job regardless for any option u choose
thanx for that, God bless u
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by shaxxjesse: 8:10am On Oct 03, 2015
Excellent7:
My genuine advice to you is to move straight on to your PhD.
Please hit with the hammer while the iron is hot.
Make use of the opportunity that you have now.
Finish your PhD and then you are free to start a lecturing career.
With 5 publications you are not doing badly.
Since your school is sponsoring you, it is somehow as if you are having "a TETFUND" funding.
Do not look at the monetary difference, look at the time difference; working for 2 years before being qualified to access the TETFUND thing.
yes boss, noted.... just that the TETFUND has monetary advanatges, as one will have something in the bank and not have to be dependent
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by pretty050(f): 8:21am On Oct 03, 2015
shaxxjesse:
thanx for that, God bless u
Amen, wish u the best
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by Nobody: 8:36am On Oct 03, 2015
If you are sure of securing same job after PhD than go for PhD straight because you must present it before you get promoted beyond lecturer 1. The entry point for a fresh PhD holder is lecturer 2.
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by Excellent7(m): 10:38am On Oct 03, 2015
shaxxjesse:
yes boss, noted.... just that the TETFUND has monetary advanatges, as one will have something in the bank and not have to be dependent

I understand, that was why I said you should not look at the monetary advantages.
Look also at the time value of money.
Look also to the fact that your funding from your school does not come with a "bond", so you are not obliged to serve them for some years. You finish your PhD free of debt free, free of any of any "attachments", and free to start a career wherever you wish.
Furthermore, the TETFUND is not really a bird at hand, how sure are we that the programme will be sustained in the next 2, 3 or 4 years.

2 Likes

Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by praxs(m): 11:57am On Oct 03, 2015
Isn't it possible for the op to start the PhD and then apply the lecturing with "PhD in view".? It's possible that some supervisors can allow their students to be in another location and be sending them your work, that's if your new job should call u to start teaching at once... Experience heads, is that possible??
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by Nobody: 1:34pm On Oct 03, 2015
shaxxjesse:
my major is accounting sir
ilol, fields like banking accounting and stuff are more pratical dan theoretical. So its not about ur educatuonal qualification, but rather about xperience and certifications.
go for d job.
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by Swiftlee(m): 1:55pm On Nov 02, 2016
Hello shaxxjesse , I just stumbled on your thread, what was your decision and how are you faring broda?
Re: Crossroad: Advice To A Young Aspiring Lecturer (with An Option) by praxs(m): 8:35pm On Nov 02, 2016
I wud have chosen to continue the PhD if i were you. You just dont knw the unlimited opportunities awaiting even beyond the shores of Nigeria with a Phd

(1) (Reply)

How I Ruined My Marriage Because Of Pride / Please Help Me With The Gender Of These Delta Names / Baby Wears.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.