Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,757 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:55 PM

Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? (8263 Views)

Democracy Day Speech By Yemi Osinbajo, The Acting President / Bursted: Lies In Pmb Independence Day Speech. / Caption These 2 PMB's Independence Day Picture (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 12:12pm On Oct 01, 2015
Having painstakenly taken a very calm perusal at the draft copy of President Buhari's independence day speech, I can not but begin to wonder who drafted the speech of this importance.

The said speech is regrettebly fraught with some collosal errors, and I make bold to say here, has caused us an international embarassment.

In the second paragraph for instance, the President opined that Nigeria is the "ninth most populous nation" in the world.

Any one who knows elementary government do not need to consult an oracle before realizing that Nigeria is infact, the 7th most populous Nation in the world.

Furthermore, in the 17th paragraph, another laughable error was made, when the President said "...I have ordered a complete audit of our other revenue generating agencies, mainly CBN, FIRS, Customs, NCC..."

Apart from FIRS and Customs mentioned above, surely, neither the CBN nor the NCC qualify as a revenue generating agency. To be sure, both agencies are strickly speaking, regulatory agencies.

Or has the scope of those agencies been reviewed to include generating revenue for the country?

If the President have severally been discribed as some one who takes his time in anything he does, one who pays attention to every detail, then this speech leaves much to be desired.

43 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by HungerBAD: 12:13pm On Oct 01, 2015
Interesting Critique.

But, what advice or deed have you contributed to Nigeria that can make her great? You guys just bunch together in one corner and look for faults.

Now proffer one sensible way forward.

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by denko(m): 12:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
are you just realizing that Buhari is the President of Norther Nigeria

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 12:16pm On Oct 01, 2015
Always finding fault share. A beg, good governance is what matters most
And i'm in support of that with the present ADM

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by stepone(m): 12:22pm On Oct 01, 2015
it looks like you are more enlightened of the happening in the country than Nigerian government. isn't it?

b deceiving urself there, as if u no more than FG.

4 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 12:23pm On Oct 01, 2015
HungerBAD:
Interesting Critique.

But, what advice or deed have you contributed to Nigeria that can make her great? You guys just bunch together in one corner and look for faults.

Not to sound rude, but even my little nephew knows the sensible way forward. An objective critique of the speech was my main focus sir

39 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 12:25pm On Oct 01, 2015
Comment reserved until the errors begin to have effect on Nigeria's economy undecided

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dialfa: 12:28pm On Oct 01, 2015
Illiterate president

17 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by nigerianvenom(m): 12:33pm On Oct 01, 2015
HungerBAD:
Interesting Critique.

Did ur "lordship" buhari ever offered any advice to both obj and GEJ's government during his days in d wilderness?

19 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 12:34pm On Oct 01, 2015
dialfa:
Illiterate president
in as much as I would like to berate the President for not taking note of those errors during his routine review, I think using such derogatory words on him is a misnomer and unacceptable bro. He is our President smiley

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by 989900: 12:52pm On Oct 01, 2015
Why is the OP making a mockery of himself?

1. PMB didn't write that speech -- it was written by professionals in-the-know, do you know more than them?

2. They do generate revenue.

Put half the energy you put into this sham, into finding out how -- you'll be a better man for it.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Bevista: 12:55pm On Oct 01, 2015

6 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by likata: 1:00pm On Oct 01, 2015
the only time he does not make error is when he grants interview with bbc hause

15 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Boss13: 1:03pm On Oct 01, 2015
HungerBAD:
Interesting Critique.

You know it is laughable and funny to see how hard people try to make others hate the president. One is amazed as such level of pure stupidity. Buhari is President of Nigeria and not President of APC or the North. We need to pray for him to make the right decisions as such decisions would affect us directly or indirectly.

Buhari has said he is only going to run for a single tenure so why spend so much negative energy trying to convince people to hate him. Channel this wasted energies in contributing to make this country great

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by wirinet(m): 1:22pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:
Having painstakenly taken a very calm perusal at the draft copy of President Buhari's independence day speech, I can not but begin to wonder who drafted the speech of this importance.

The said speech is regrettebly fraught with some collosal errors, and I make bold to say here, has caused us an international embarassment.

In the second paragraph for instance, the President opined that Nigeria is the "ninth most populous nation" in the world.

Any one who knows elementary government do not need to consult an oracle before realizing that Nigeria is infact, the 7th most populous Nation in the world.

Furthermore, in the 17th paragraph, another laughable error was made, when the President said "...I have ordered a complete audit of our other revenue generating agencies, mainly CBN, FIRS, Customs, NCC..."

Apart from FIRS and Customs mentioned above, surely, neither the CBN nor the NCC qualify as a revenue generating agency. To be sure, both agencies are strickly speaking, regulatory agencies.

Or has the scope of those agencies been reviewed to include generating revenue for the country?

If the President have severally been discribed as some one who takes his time in anything he does, one who pays attention to every detail, then this speech leaves much to be desired.

Nigeria is the only country in the world where a stark illiterate feels he knows better than professors. Like the saying goes, he who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a f**l.

Buhari's speech was written by competent experts and academicians, whom you are not fit to shine their shoes.

A simple google search would have illuminated your ignorance.

Nigeria is reputed to be the 9th most populous nation on earth - http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004391.html

NCC is not a revenue generating agency? Please what school did you attend. I need to tell my friends and even my enemies to avoid sending their children to that school. NCC sell all sorts of licences, they collect revenues and fines from all telecomunication companies. They sell licences to TV and radio stations all over the country, and lots of other revenue generating activities. Even Internet service providers have to pay NCC for their spectrum.
See spectrum fees and prices here - http://www.ncc.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=99

37 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Not to sound rude, but even my little nephew knows the sensible way forward. An objective critique of the speech was my main focus sir
what do you aim to achieve from the "objective critique" of the speech?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by banki(m): 1:40pm On Oct 01, 2015
Sometimes I can't help but marvel at some people's stupidity

When the op doesn't know that cbn and ncc are some of the highest income generating agencies of the Fg and comes to form critic

Do you think cbn is a charity organisation? Or you don't know that mtn glo etc are regulated? And pay charges to Fg through ncc

Stupid critc

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by OKUCHI11(m): 1:40pm On Oct 01, 2015
wirinet:

Nigeria is the only country in the world where a stark illiterate feels he knows better than professors. Like the saying goes, he who knows not and knows not that he knows not, is a f**l.

Buhari's speech was written by competent experts and academicians, whom you are not fit to shine their shoes.

Nigeria is reputed to be the 9th most populous nation on each - http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004391.html

NCC is not a revenue generating agency? Please what school did you attend. I need to tell my friends and even my enemies to avoid sending their children to that school. NCC sell all sorts of licences, they collect revenues and fines from all telecomunication companies. They sell licences to TV and radio stations all over the country, and lots of other revenue generating activities. Even Internet service providers have to pay NCC for their spectrum.

thank u sir4 this informative analysis.....
Gej spoke excellently well but he is still regarded as a president with the low self esteem.....even university lecturers could not obey HIS ORDER......, he could nt control his own wife.....so who GOOD SPEECH COM HELP......FAULT FINDERS WILL ALWAYS FIND FAULT

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 1:42pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Nigeria is in fact, the 7th most populous Nation in the world.

Top 20 Most Populous Countries in the World in 2015
http://www.richestlifestyle.com/most-populous-countries-in-the-world/

Thought i should back up the comment above with some facts by providing the link above as well as enhancing the course of education on this forum.
Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 2:19pm On Oct 01, 2015
wirinet:

Nigeria is reputed to be the 9th most populous nation on earth - http://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0004391.html

See spectrum fees and prices here - http://www.ncc.gov.ng/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=85&Itemid=99

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have bothered joining issues with peepz like you who lack the basic capacity to engage in a public discourse, with out using so many fallacious and derogatory terms, but hey, if I choose to ignore you, your level of ignorance may become too contagious to quarantine.

First of all, that PMB's speech was written by "experts and academicians" whose shoes I am not worthy of shinning, does not ipso facto make the speech foolproof. If not for curiosity and quest to acquire knowledge, perhaps I wouldn't have even bothered reviewing the said speech.

You suggested that I am a stark illiterate, for pointing out the obvious fact that Nigeria is the 7th, and not the 9th most populous nation in the world? Seriously undecided

Please Prof., kindly help your self with the latest UN report-2015 Revision of World Population Prospects-released Wednesday 29 July; I am not literate enough to provide you the link cry

On the second point I raised, I didn't just rush up to create this thread with out doing some summary research to be double sure that the CBN particularly, isn't a revenue generating agency. Whilst I was reviewing relevant authorities online, I was tuned to Nancy's Money Show program on AIT, where she had a one time Deputy Governor of CBN as a guest. She posed the question to him, and as expected, the guest categorically confirmed that the CBN strictly speaking, is not a revenue generating agency.

Unlike you Prof., I always look critically at any academic work I come across, irrespective of who the author of such work may be.

19 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by snakie86: 2:53pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have bothered joining issues with peepz like you who lack the basic capacity to engage in a public discourse, with out using so many fallacious and derogatory terms, but hey, if I choose to ignore you, your level of ignorance may become too contagious to quarantine.

First of all, that PMB's speech was written by "experts and academicians" whose shoes I am not worthy of shinning, does not ipso facto make the speech foolproof. If not for curiosity and quest to acquire knowledge, perhaps I wouldn't have even bothered reviewing the said speech.

You suggested that I am a stark illiterate, for pointing out the obvious fact that Nigeria is the 7th, and not the 9th most populous nation in the world? Seriously undecided

Please Prof., kindly help your self with the latest UN report-2015 Revision of World Population Prospects-released Wednesday 29 July; I am not literate enough to provide you the link cry

On the second point I raised, I didn't just rush up to create this thread with out doing some summary research to be double sure that the CBN particularly, isn't a revenue generating agency. Whilst I was reviewing relevant authorities online, I was tuned to Nancy's Money Show program on AIT, where she had a one time Deputy Governor of CBN as a guest. She posed the question to him, and as expected, the guest categorically confirmed that the CBN strictly speaking, is not a revenue generating agency.

Unlike you Prof., I always look critically at any academic work I come across, irrespective of who the author of such work may be.

I can't help but laugh about how knoledgeable you are.....if cbn and ncc doesnt generate revenue aside their regulatory functions then what do they do?
I guess u dont know that they collect fines and charges on behalf of the FG.....CBN sells treasury bills and forex, the income they get is what?
So far internet is now cheap doesnt mean we can right rubbish or shouldnt take our time to research very well before spitting out.
Atleast google can help u with the financials of these organizations to know how much they generate as income/profit on a yearly basis

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by wirinet(m): 2:54pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

You refused to discus further on NCC, so i assume you admit you did not look critically at the fallacious academic work that says NCC is not a revenue generating agency. Even at the begining of GSM introduction in Nigera, NCC sold GSM licenses for more than $600million. Glo alone bought the 2nd National carrier license for 1billion dollars.

I left out the CBN delibrately because the CBN is more complex. It is not strictly a revenue generating agency as its function is primarily to act as a Banker to the federal government, But ECN101 would tell you that CBNs all over the world also acts as banker to the private banks ie commercial, investment and all other banks. Now are you telling me CBN provides banking services to Banks for free?

You are just looking for excuses to insult your president (yes, your president), and you look for the most stupid excuse to do so.

About the discrepancies in the populations figures, you should know that Nigeria's population figures is in dispute. Even the website you provides says;

According to UN projection, as on July 1 2014, the population of Nigeria was 178,517,000.

The figures were not termed official like the others, it is just an educated guess. So you are just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

10 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Nobody: 3:03pm On Oct 01, 2015
OP, if indeed these things highlighted by you were contained in his speech, then those who drafted the speech must be examined.

However, we've had 54 previous speeches, what impact have they had on our national development?

5 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 3:10pm On Oct 01, 2015
snakie86:

I can't help but laugh about how knoledgeable you are.....if cbn and ncc doesnt generate revenue aside their regulatory functions then what do they do?
I guess u dont know that they collect fines and charges on behalf of the FG.....CBN sells treasury bills and forex, the income they get is what?
So far internet is now cheap doesnt mean we can right rubbish or shouldnt take our time to research very well before spitting out.
Atleast google can help u with the financials of these organizations to know how much they generate as income/profit on a yearly basis

Smh

If we are to go by your logic, then such other agencies like the Police, FRSCN, etc, qualify as revenue generating agencies, since they also issue and collect fines too undecided

7 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by snakie86: 3:14pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Smh

If we are to go by your logic, then such other agencies like the Police, FRSCN, etc, qualify as revenue generating agencies, since they also issue and collect fines too undecided

Lolzzz......police doesnt generate revenue oga......And who told u FRSCN is not a revenue generating agency?
Do u know the meaning of revenue at all?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Mamaflex(f): 3:16pm On Oct 01, 2015
Does Op even know what NCC mean/stand for? I doubt.

So many wailing ignorant wailers on nairaland.
Smh.

8 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by Tomjazzy2: 3:24pm On Oct 01, 2015
snakie86:

Lolzzz......police doesnt generate revenue oga......And who told u FRSCN is not a revenue generating agency?
Do u know the meaning of revenue at all?

Please try and get me my point, I am not disputing the fact that the CBN and NCC, like the FRSCN, do not have powers to collect fines, what I am saying is that these agencies can not be taken as revenue generating agencies.

If you can, scan through the relevant laws setting up these bodies, may be you would be better informed.

3 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by snakie86: 3:31pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Please try and get me my point, I am not disputing the fact that the CBN and NCC, like the FRSCN, do not have powers to collect fines, what I am saying is that these agencies can not be taken as revenue generating agencies.

If you can, scan through the relevant laws setting up these bodies, may be you would be better informed.

Now u are confusing ursef....if these ones that are well known cannot be regarded as revenue generating agency, wat of agency like NIGCOMSAT & co? What do we call the fines dat they collect?
Seems u know more than FG themselves...........i think u are the one who needs to look at the laws setting dem up cos i know most of them and what they generate to FG as income.

7 Likes

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Before you spread your ignorance like CANCER.

Any Government agency can generate revenue for GOVERNMENT.

CBN and NCC also does that.

CBN has shares in NIBSS which generates revenue and besides generates BILLION of NAIRA annually. Infact in 2012, the auditor general confessed that CBN is the highest revenue generating agency of the Federal Government for the year 2012.

Also NCC, generates MILLIONS of Naira in License to telcos.

The message is the need to AUDIT major sources of our revenue.

On 7th and 9th position. When was the last time we did Population Census ? So that is a relative statistics. You can claim any figure and stand by it.

I am still looking for the International EBA-RICE-MENT.

Go and get a life, don't tow this frustrated Barcanista-like path.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by evilspirit: 3:32pm On Oct 01, 2015
wirinet:

You refused to discus further on NCC, so i assume you admit you did not look critically at the fallacious academic work that says NCC is not a revenue generating agency. Even at the begining of GSM introduction in Nigera, NCC sold GSM licenses for more than $600million. Glo alone bought the 2nd National carrier license for 1billion dollars.

I left out the CBN delibrately because the CBN is more complex. It is not strictly a revenue generating agency as its function is primarily to act as a Banker to the federal government, But ECN101 would tell you that CBNs all over the world also acts as banker to the private banks ie commercial, investment and all other banks. Now are you telling me CBN provides banking services to Banks for free?

You are just looking for excuses to insult your president (yes, your president), and you look for the most stupid excuse to do so.

About the discrepancies in the populations figures, you should know that Nigeria's population figures is in dispute. Even the website you provides says;

The figures were not termed official like the others, it is just an educated guess. So you are just making a mountain out of a mole hill.

GSM licences were sold for 285 million dollars while GLO got his own for 200 million
Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by OnReflection: 3:35pm On Oct 01, 2015
Tomjazzy2:

Since the FGN thinks otherwise, would it not make sense to apprise yourself with more up to date information? cool

A general analysis of the agencies’ submission (excluding the NNPC’s) shows expected remittance of N189b as at October, last year. Only N80b had been paid to the Treasury (42 per cent compliance), leaving a shortfall of N109b.

Some of the agencies apart from the NNPC are: Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), Nigerian Maritime Administration and Safety Agency (NIMASA), Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA), Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Nigerian Broadcasting Commission (NBC) and the Federal Mortgage Bank (FMBN) among others.

With the exception of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), all the agencies prepared and submitted their audited accounts to the office of the Auditor General outside the time stipulated in the Fiscal Responsibility Act, 2007.

The report of the House Committed on Finance on independent revenue generation and remittances to the Consolidated Revenue Fund by government-owned agencies that was considered yesterday by the lawmakers, however, praised five agencies for attempting to adhere to the FRA to some extent by regularly remitting their independent revenues to the Federal Government.

These are: CBN, Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN), Nigerian Television Authority (NTA) and two others.

The chairman of the committee, Abdulmumin Jubrin, presenting the report, said between 2009 and 2011, the NNPC and all its subsidiaries generated N6.132trillion as Internally Generated Revenue (IGR), but remitted no part of it to the Federal Government.

Source: NNPC, CBN, NIMASA, FCT, others hold back govt’s N8.8tr, says report

By the way, according to the UN, the population figure of 183,408,000 - which situates Nigeria in seventh place - is a projected one.

1 Like

Re: Pmb's Independence Day Speech: An International Embarassment? by dammytosh: 3:36pm On Oct 01, 2015
evilspirit:

GSM licences were sold for 285 million dollars while GLO got his own for 200 million
Don't waste your time on those M0r0ns

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Ekiti States Approves TSA / Lagos Island Boils Again As Nurtw Factions Clash / Controlling Lagos' Borders...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.