Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,257 members, 7,780,552 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 04:23 PM

The Problem With Wayne Rooney! - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / The Problem With Wayne Rooney! (4693 Views)

The True Problem With The National Team / Sacking Me Won't Solve The Problem -keshi / 'big Difference' Between Wayne Rooney & Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi & Kaka (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 11:26pm On Oct 08, 2006
http://davidylan..com/2006/10/problem-with-wayne-rooney.html#comments

The problem with Wayne Rooney
I just finished reading the article "England pick up pieces of Rooney slump" by Richard Williams and i can only come out with one conclusion; more of the English penchant for overhyping an average player. A desperate attempt by the English press to talk up the "talents" of a man they so desperately want to cast in the mould of the likes of Kaka of Brazil and Zinedine Zidane of France.

Indeed there have been those of us who were never really smitten by the Rooney bug from Everton, those of us who were wise enough to realise that merely having a great shot and being able to score were not the only hallmarks of a great player. Zidane may not score many goals for France but his overall play was so good there was a marked difference each time Les bleus marched out without him.

What is wrong with Rooney? Loss of form? I think not, with the searchlight now beamed on the "prodigious talent" that was to have been the beacon of English football, we are now begining to see what many of us had always been saying, that the man was really no better than the average English player. When many commentators tell us that "he is still too young", they forget that a certain Ronaldo also plays in the same Man U team who is a year younger than Rooney, they forget that a certain Cesc Fabregas single handedly tore United to shreds at old Trafford the last time. What of Lionel Messi, Lucas Podolski? Are they all 32?

It is high time English fans began to face the home truth, that Rooney is not as good as we all hyped him to be. He cannot dribble like Ronaldo, he does not possess the guile and footballing brain like Zidane, he does not play with the confidence of Cesc Fabregas. He is no goal poacher!
Much more can be said of other English "world class" players such as Downing, Lampard, Carrick, Terry; average players who's "skill and talent" have been blown out of proportion by the English press. Carrick costs 18 million pounds but he is yet to prove that he is any better than Kolo Toure who cost Arsenal a mere 500,000 pounds. Lampard? Need more be said about a player with a record of the highest number of deflections scored?

England must wake up and shed the toga of the "golden age", indeed this are no golden boys! A foreign coach is desperately needed, one who can pick the best 11 players on MERIT and not based on name! When Mclaren tells us that regardless of form Rooney's name is first on his team list, it is an insult to the likes of Darren Bent, Defoe and Andy Johnson who are having more impact than England's "greatest ever talent"!
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 1:32am On Oct 09, 2006
Erm, Dude
Podolski has had his barren patch this season.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 1:35am On Oct 09, 2006
And I see you are an ARSEnal fan. No wonder. Armchair geezer, aint yer? Oops, I forgot. Yer a Y@nk.

Players go through bad spells and this just happens to be Wazza's
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 1:37am On Oct 09, 2006
nosa101:

And I see you are an ARSEnal fan. No wonder. Armchair geezer, aint yer? Oops, I forgot. Yer a Y@nk.

Players go through bad spells and this just happens to be Wazza's

I read your last two posts and i am convinced you have some problems with communication so you hide your obvious flaws with insults. First wrong conclusion based on NO premise: I used to be a Man U fan until Jose came. Today i am a bonafide Chelsea fan! In no way am i an Arsenal fan!

When next you dont have anything intellectually stimulating to write, sticking to silence would be a better option!
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 1:41am On Oct 09, 2006
Those were not insults. Get a grip. It's very odd to find a Chelsea fan praising ARSEnal players. That's why I call you an armchair fan.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 1:44am On Oct 09, 2006
My dear, dont let your haste becloud your common sense, i did not mention Cesc Fabregas AS AN ARSENAL player but to burtress the point that there are also players as young as Rooney who are doing fine.
Which of Zidane, Messi, Podolski and Ronaldo play for Arsenal?
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 1:45am On Oct 09, 2006
I would never praise a scouser. NEVER
To add to the fact that you are an armchair fan, you are a glory hunting turncoat. It doesn't get any better. Being a turncoat isn't bad but a gloryhunter?
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 1:47am On Oct 09, 2006
nosa101:

I would never praise a scouser. NEVER
To add to the fact that you are an armchair fan, you are a glory hunting turncoat. It doesn't get any better. Being a turncoat isn't bad but a gloryhunter?

Your statements make very little sense. Glory hunting? turncoat? Do any of those clubs belong to my country or my father? Of what business is mine if bolton wins the EPL?
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 1:51am On Oct 09, 2006
It is high time English fans began to face the home truth, that Rooney is not as good as we all hyped him to be. He cannot dribble like Ronaldo, he does not possess the guile and footballing brain like Zidane, he does not play with the confidence of Cesc Fabregas. He is no goal poacher!
Much more can be said of other English "world class" players such as Downing, Lampard, Carrick, Terry; average players who's "skill and talent" have been blown out of proportion by the English press. Carrick costs 18 million pounds but he is yet to prove that he is any better than Kolo Toure who cost Arsenal a mere 500,000 pounds. Lampard? Need more be said about a player with a record of the highest number of deflections scored?

England must wake up and shed the toga of the "golden age", indeed this are no golden boys! A foreign coach is desperately needed, one who can pick the best 11 players on MERIT and not based on name! When Mclaren tells us that regardless of form Rooney's name is first on his team list, i[b]t is an insult to the likes of Darren Bent, Defoe[/b] and Andy Johnson who are having more impact than England's "greatest ever talent"!

shocked

Your statements make very little sense. Glory hunting? turncoat? Do any of those clubs belong to my country or my father? Of what business is mine if bolton wins the EPL

That's the point of being a fan, it's religious. There is no point of being a fan is you don't give bollocks about the team. You might as well be Derek Rae.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 1:53am On Oct 09, 2006
my dear if you paid any shred of attention to the last 2 paragraphs even a blind man will tell you the whole emphasis of the article was on Rooney and the national team of England! I don't think i'd be advocating for a foreign coach for Man U. In the portions you hypocritically highlight to buttress your point, i mention Carrick- Man U, Terry - Chelsea and Kolo - Arsenal!

Use common sense!
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 2:01am On Oct 09, 2006
my dear if you paid any shred of attention to the last 2 paragraphs even a blind man will tell you the whole emphasis of the article was on Rooney and the national team of England! I don't think i'd be advocating for a foreign coach for Man U. In the portions you hypocritically highlight to buttress your point, i mention Carrick- Man U, Terry - Chelsea and Kolo - Arsenal!
I highlighted the foreign coach bit because they just had Sven. When you want to support your argument, you don't use opinions. YOU USE FACTS.

You have no fact (stats) that suggets carrick has been shite. When you get them, then you have something to work with. All you use is your armchair opinion.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 09, 2006
and since when did it become a crime to express an oppinion?
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 2:04am On Oct 09, 2006
If it is an opinion it should be stated.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 2:05am On Oct 09, 2006
You ARE Derek Rae. can I claim my 5 quid?
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 2:06am On Oct 09, 2006
splashed in flashing lights across the article?
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 2:12am On Oct 09, 2006
The only thing that was opinion in the article was the fact that Rooney is bollocks (IYO)

The "carrick, toure" rubbish was stated with certainty. Read those bits again. And this supports my claim that your supporting arguments were based on opinion not facts and that's not correct.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 2:13am On Oct 09, 2006
my dear, keep wallowing in delusion and self-acclaimed "importance"! I reserve my comments for more important individuals!
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 2:16am On Oct 09, 2006
i never claimed to be important. I just spotted some flaws in your article and decided to take the mickey out of them. I can't be arsed about what you think of Rooney.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 2:17am On Oct 09, 2006
which flaws?
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 2:19am On Oct 09, 2006
Supporting a main argument with opinions not proof/facts
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 2:19am On Oct 09, 2006
examples
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by nosa101(f): 2:25am On Oct 09, 2006
I just finished reading the article "England pick up pieces of Rooney slump" by Richard Williams and i can only come out with one conclusion; more of the English penchant for overhyping an average player. A desperate attempt by the English press to talk up the "talents" of a man they so desperately want to cast in the mould of the likes of Kaka of Brazil and Zinedine Zidane of France.

Indeed there have been those of us who were never really smitten by the Rooney bug from Everton, those of us who were wise enough to realise that merely having a great shot and being able to score were not the only hallmarks of a great player. Zidane may not score many goals for France but his overall play was so good there was a marked difference each time Les bleus marched out without him.

What is wrong with Rooney? Loss of form? I think not, with the searchlight now beamed on the "prodigious talent" that was to have been the beacon of English football, we are now begining to see what many of us had always been saying, that the man was really no better than the average English player. When many commentators tell us that "he is still too young", they forget that a certain Ronaldo also plays in the same Man U team who is a year younger than Rooney, they forget that a certain Cesc Fabregas single handedly tore United to shreds at old Trafford the last time. What of Lionel Messi, Lucas Podolski? Are they all 32?

England must wake up and shed the toga of the "golden age", indeed this are no golden boys! A foreign coach is desperately needed, one who can pick the best 11 players on MERIT and not based on name! When Mclaren tells us that regardless of form Rooney's name is first on his team list, it is an insult to the likes of Darren Bent, Defoe and Andy Johnson who are having more impact than England's "greatest ever talent"!

Ronaldo is a year older BTW and Sven was a foreign coach.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 2:33am On Oct 09, 2006
on the age diff, error made. C. Ronaldo is actually about 8 months older though both he and Rooney were born in the same yr 1985.

Yes Sven was a foreign coach but he could well have been Maclaren, both are being ruled by the British press. I'm sure someone like the present Russia coach would have been a better choice! A man that has guts!
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Jackal(m): 4:07pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Davidylan,
You talk more through ur ARSE than ur stinking mouth.
There's nothing wrong with Wayne Rooney. He is just having his bad patch caused by the English FA and sorry-asses like u.

U dare compare Cesc to Rooney?
Where was Cesc when Arsenal played Barcelona, Man Utd(last season) and Chelsea(last season)
Why was he non-existent in those matches and u still see him as a genius? Geeeeeeeeeez!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rooney has a special talent and even gurus like Diego Maradona thinks he is special.
The only snag about him now is the way FIFA/UEFA is trying to change the rules and make footballers complete gentlemen. U cannot swear, U cannot take off ur shirts after scoring, U cannot do this n that and its making football so boring.

English FA is trying to take the passion out of Rooney and this will only make him ordinary.
Rooney does not tackle again for fear of being booked, He does not chase the ball anymore, He does not contest anymore and that is why he is looking so ordinary to the human eye.

Stop talking thru ur ass on a public forum.
If u dont have anything nice to say don't say nuthing or better still, start shinning shoes @ Manhattan.
Plz. stop spreading wrong information.
U think u know but u know nuthing.
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Nobody: 4:10pm On Oct 09, 2006
@ Jackal

Is it possible you could behave like a human and not a nearnderthal for once? I would for once love to see constructive criticism rather than foul and uncouth language! It says a lot about your level of mental stability and maturity!
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by loyika(m): 4:49pm On Oct 09, 2006
Hey D cool don't be mad at him, its just his stlye, in all honesty, he is a pussy cat grin

Back to the thread, i have said it for sometime that there is a problem with Shrek. but you know how it is, he has been hyped up so much that now he has to live up to it day in day out, and for a lad his age, its not easy.

As for the Cesc cool comparism, well seeing that they both play different positions, i think the comparism is unfair. Cesc with carrick or Zakora or there about is a far better comparism, unless you are looking at the age thing, But i will say categorically that Cesc Fabregas will last longer in the game and get more accolades than Wazza, that boy will be a genius, Same thing with C Ronaldo, those two are special.

Rooney will burn out with time, yes he will have the odd spectacular game, but on a consistent basis he won't last cry.

well on the other statement. Football is an evolving sport and Rooney is not god, so if he can not change his stlye of play, too bad, and what a pity, Football does not wait for no one. Zidane and Maradona found that out harshly towards the tail end of their era's, and it would be a shame if Shrek doesn't adjust.

All and all, he is going througfh a bad patch, and to be fair he is actually handling it with some maturity, but a time will come when Fergie will have to decide whether to bench the lad until he picks up form, and this will either motivate him or kill his desire and make him resentful.

And once more i will quote Roy Keane. "Rooney hasn't won shit", as he said, you look at a footballers career over a period of time, not on the short term, and right now players like Cesc, twinkle toes Ronaldo and Robinho are heading in the right direction (i mean Cesc and C Ronaldo are wanted by the best teams in the world. i doubt Rooney will have many takers outside England, as foreign coaches can see beyond the English Hype, FFS where is Mikey Owen )

Like i said somewhere else, i like the lad and wish him well as he plays footie the way i like it. Wazza live up to your expectations cool

cool GOONER 89
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by Jackal(m): 5:01pm On Oct 09, 2006
I am having a laugh.
It makes me laugh when i see scoundrels like u acting up on a public forum.
Ya responses say a lot about ur IQ and i must confess ur IQ is unbelievably low.

Dude, ur comments hold no water so throw 'em in the garbage.
No sane individual will listen to a brianless mammal like ya unless there's a striking similarity between u 2s.
Don't get it twisted---- U are a Arrow!
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by kitaun(m): 7:39pm On Oct 09, 2006
@Jackal

Am back you know what i meanangry angry angry grin can't you stop being abusive for once shocked

@Davidylan

Longtime, how u dey? did you need to get chatty over this issue with nosa who obviously did not have any point to prove shocked it was pointless doing so and don't mind Jackal, by now you should know his caustic nature tongue

@Loyika

Why get dragged into this threadshocked at least you had so many times aired your views on Wazza hitherto and hardly did anybody dispute those views, abeg leave Jackal jare, at least he had to defend his boy who appears to be ill at the moment grin
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by justkunmi(m): 12:14am On Oct 10, 2006
@davidylan
pls read these, and make a sensible conclusion.
davidylan:

my dear, keep wallowing in delusion and self-acclaimed "importance"! I reserve my comments for more important individuals!

davidylan:

@ Jackal

Is it possible you could behave like a human and not a nearnderthal for once? I would for once love to see constructive criticism rather than foul and uncouth language! It says a lot about your level of mental stability and maturity!

now, can u guess who started the insults always watch your back and be careful of wat u post, like jackal said,, ur in a public forum

when a player gets endorsements and validations from greats like maradona, cantona; and you call him ordinary,,,,then, there's a problem somewhere, and thats definitely from our end, rooney is one of the greatest players of this age,,,better accept that fact,
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by loyika(m): 10:22am On Oct 10, 2006
Jackal cool

Why do you always see the need to insult folks, if you do not agree with what anyone says, just argue counter to the arguement. The arguement is not whether you like Rooney or not, no one says Rooney is not a good player, but everyone is entitled to feel that Rooney is crap, the same way you feel Cesc is not high in your footballers stardom book.

Now what did i say that was wrong.

Did Keano not say as much,

Do you actually think Sir alex will not drop Rooney to the bench if he feels Saha, Ole and C ronaldo gives him better options, or if Giggsy comes back from injury. So i really do not know what was said for you to react like that. If you don't agree, just give your arguements why you think we are wrong, we don't have to agree with you, but at least we can get to see your point.

Every one has been looking at this and coming to some conclusions, even seasoned journalists, but i guess if you don't agree with them, then they also are smucks. Jackal, we have arguements in bars and with pals and other folks over footie issues, and they don't result in arguements, even when people are shouting.

You turn to insults because its over an internet forum, which is quite sad. but convinent for you as you are not in front of the person who you want to insult.

Well its your stlye, and what makes you you, so since everyone on the board is use to you that way. I guess its fine. Doesn't bother me either way. Like i said, you are just a pussy cat, and if you get your kicks or jerk off through insults, more grease to your palms.

Just be you cheesy

WAZZA (SHREK) GET BACK IN FORM MATE AND PROVE US ALL WRONG (BEWARE THE IDLES OF GAZZA angry)

cool GOONER 89
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by mukina2: 11:08am On Oct 10, 2006
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
it has started

Rooney is half hype and quater gorilla and quater stiker. angry
if cristiano ronaldo was british his birthday would be public holiday shocked
honestly the way the british go on about him is nauseating
he has power,he can run,
Re: The Problem With Wayne Rooney! by loyika(m): 11:13am On Oct 10, 2006
[b]Rooney isn't off-form, he's stuck
By Myles Palmer

The sports pages don't say it.
The TV pundits don't say it.
The radio reporters that I rarely hear probably don't say it.
The websites and blogs don't say it.

So it's down to me to say : Rooney has to be coached. He has to improve his movement.He has to improve his play off the ball.

It is that simple : Wayne Rooney has to improve his play off the ball.

His whole game so far has been on the ball. That is wrong because half of the game is played off the ball. Even Maradona, who could beat five opponents, had to be cute about where he positioned himself.

WAYNE ROONEY wants to be Superman and we think he can be Superman.
His thing is : Just give me the ball.

In his book Steven Gerrard talks about Rooney in the dressing-room before the Euro 2004 encounter with France: "He was just messing about with the ball, as if he were going out for a Sunday League match, 'Just give me the ball,' he told everyone. 'Give me the ball. I will do it. I want it'." That was OK for 2002 because he was 18 and fit and relaxed and he was playing in a team with a bit of rhythm, and he was able to surprise the opposition, and expectations were a lot less. He played very well, scored goals, and announced himself on a world stage.

The reason he doesn't score more for United and England is blindingly obvious : he doesn't get the ball in the right areas because he is not smart enough. He's not cute like Bergkamp, he's not patient enough to wait for it like Sheringham. He is a raging bull. His positions on the field are dictated by his temper, by his impatience, by a powerful desire to do everything : win the ball, dribble, pass, score, win it again, cross it and head in his own cross. He drops back too far and tries to do other people's jobs. He does a bit of everything and achieves a lot of nothing. He does that because the Man United midfield is inadequate and so is the England midfield.

But the basic problem would be there anyway : Rooney wants to do more than is possible and he wants to do it all on the ball. He has to learn that less is more. He has to learn to play off the ball as well as on it. He has not scored for England for two years because he hasn't improved. And he hasn't improved because he's still playing naturally, still playing with the instinct and natural ability that got him a contract with Everton, and then with Man United, and won him a senior cap at seventeen.

He's been playing Under-21 football in the senior team and its been so brilliant at times that we have all just let him do his thing and assumed that he will develop. No goals in two years suggest he's not improving. He's had injuries and suspensions but even without those he would not have improved because he thinks he is Roy of the Rovers and he is still playing cartoon hero football.

And his managers don't help him. They say : You can't coach genius. They also say : You can't drop Rooney, he's our best player.

The media don't help him because there is no sensible debate about his role.
I mean : What is he?
What is Wayne Rooney?
He's not the new Alan Shearer, so what is he?
Is he the new Bobby Charlton?
Is he the new Jimmy Greaves?
Is he the new Paul Scholes?

I don't know. But it's a team game and he should have a specific role in a team that keeps him doing the things that matter most to the team, things that other players cannot do. He has to stop ball-chasing like a schoolboy, stop playing like a one-man whirlwind for 28 minutes and then screaming at the ref about a foul that didnt happen.

Yes, Rooney is kicked a lot, held and blocked. Yes, he was fouled in the World Cup quarter-final before he trampled so gently on Carvalho's bollocks. The ref should have given him a free-kick and when he didn't get it Rooney trampled on the defender's balls, reaching back with his left foot, knowing exactly what he was doing because great footballers always know exactly where their feet are.

I don't think he is off-form. I think he's in a rut. He's trying too hard to repeat his Goals of the Month. He's stuck.

Latest news from the England camp is that Scott Parker will replace Gerrard in a 3-5-2. He is a ball-chaser, like Rooney.

Parker is a busy short-ball man who helps you maintain a high tempo. Let's hope he doesn't get booked in the first ten minutes.

Croatia coach Slaven Bilic says he hopes England do play 3-5-2.

I'm sure his assistants, Asanovic and Prosinecki, feel the same way.They know that system inside out and finished third in France 98 using it.[/b]

http://www.arsenalnewsreview.co.uk/index.php/news/373/42.html

One view on this topic, will look for more and paste

cool GOONER 89

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

31 Shocking Facts You Never Had About Some Footballers / Siasia Quits Youth Football / Double Your Money With Me Every Day @ 99% Success Rates ..#2 +

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.