Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,874 members, 7,802,809 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO (13759 Views)

NYSC Rejects Illiterate Graduates Of Enugu University (ESUT) / 10 Signs You Only Went To School But An Illiterate / Rebecca Chinyelu-Chukwuanukwu (UNIZIK) Wins Unesco Prize In Geneva (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by tonychristopher: 7:54am On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/65-million-nigerians-still-illiterate-says-unesco/

We know but let us know the regions again ..those that are drawing us back

We need to know them again.we knew them but we need refreshing info
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by tonychristopher: 7:56am On Oct 02, 2015
Illiteracy is the ability to read and write down

Hausa can read Hausa I see them and they can read Arabic

Will u call them illiterate .to me No

So everyone mustn't speak English

Oyibo peeps seff

once you can read and write any form of language you are not illiterate

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by EGideonal24: 8:01am On Oct 02, 2015
Decibel:
Out of the 65%, North has 35%, SW has 25% while Eastern region has 5% in that order. The rating from UNESCO is based on certificate racketeering(Oluwole &Toronto) in the South West in addition to almajiri system in the North.#Fact

you gat it Bro
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by webshopng1(m): 8:04am On Oct 02, 2015
undecided I still love my country
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nicepoker(m): 8:05am On Oct 02, 2015
flokii:

i think it is east and south after north.. cos all they do is learn a trade, do business, engage in criminal activities and then to top it all.. prostitution in other pples land..

the west are d most educated.. no doubt
I doubt
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by speedyGonzales: 8:09am On Oct 02, 2015
khassy:
what's their source cus the didn't interview me abi dem interview anybody here to know if he intelligent or not undecidedundecided

in other news
Today's my mom's birthday

can I get some likes for her

Dude, Intelligence and illiteracy is not the same thing, do not confuse yourself.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by thebestprice(m): 8:11am On Oct 02, 2015
99% OF THEM ARE UP NORTH..
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by isoryt(m): 8:12am On Oct 02, 2015
The figure should be more than 65mil.. 50% of the population are still illiterates http://TheRevenueJob.com/?ref=433
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by teamchocolate: 8:17am On Oct 02, 2015
See part of the illiteracy even having 27 likes from fellow illiterates... pls where did they talk about percentages.. they said 65 million people! How is 65 million people equal to 65%??

shocked shocked shocked

Decibel:
Out of the 65%, North has 35%, SW has 25% while Eastern region has 5% in that order. The rating from UNESCO is based on certificate racketeering(Oluwole &Toronto) in the South West in addition to almajiri system in the North.#Fact
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 02, 2015
EVILFOREST:
Please, how do we assess literacy. .?

Because since I left the shores of this country, I started having a 2nd thought about it.

What about MILLIONS OF CHINESE who only speak and write mandarin., Yet are involved in COMPUTER ENGINEERING AND GLOBAL MARKETING JOBS..

EVEN president Xi jingpin of CHINA can't speak ENGLISH fluently
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Decibel:

you lie. 5% south south OK but not East because of the following reasons:-
1. have helped a young igbo man less than age of 30 to fill arrival card in the airport.

2. I have helped an igbo boy of less than 30 years of age to read and send sms.

3. My late grand mother communicate in English but never step her foot in school.

4. I have seen with my eyes, several villages in Ebony state where they teach mathematics in Igbo language... e weri nka, ti ye nka.

5. In Delta state, everybody speaks English or pidgin unlike any other state. FOREIGNERS DONT NEED INTERPRETER WHEN COMING TO DELTA COS EVERYBODY UNDERSTANDS ENGLISH OR PIDGIN.

Even yorubas are not too educated as they claim. I have seen a beautiful girl in Ibadan, she was 24 yrs. and dont understand English or pidgin.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by kogirodent: 8:22am On Oct 02, 2015
HungerBAD:
I first said to myself, there is no way UNESCO can be right on this.

And then i logged on to Nairaland, and started reading all the write ups of Wailers, and i am like, you know what UNESCO?you might just be right on this one.
You are an "illiterate" too for misunderstanding the post. The illiteracy refered to here is the ability to read and write. All nairalanders are literate for the mere fact that they can read posts and comment on issues irrespective of the 'mumuness' of such posts. Take your annoyance elsewhere. Good morning.

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by amazingspiderma: 8:23am On Oct 02, 2015

In life everyone learns,but an illiterate is one who has refused to learn.
Illiteracy is not about where you have been,but how open you are to learn for the advancement of society.
An illiterate is one who has no learning culture.
It is different from attending school.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by nutripot: 8:29am On Oct 02, 2015
[size=38pt]UNESCO IS WRONG![/size]
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Neplusultra(f): 8:29am On Oct 02, 2015
Mekzmoney:
If u r just joking or trying to create a sense of humor then I 4give u but if u meant what u just said then ur an idiot for saying this.. No offense buh that's wat u are..... Is hausa, fulani, yoruba and oda minor languages or oda states like west/south and even middle belt more educated thn igbos?? Despite that people always hav d mind set that igbos like doing business does nt mean that they are nt educated... Even average igbo man can even read, write and speak good english, including business man.. Ur indeed a useless goat as ur name implies.
U people have time replying a notorious troll and attention seeker! It's just like dialoguing with a Lunatic, I tire for una o!

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Neplusultra(f): 8:30am On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:

We know but let us know the regions again ..those that are drawing us back

We need to know them again.we knew them but we need refreshing info
Oga wia u dey since? Good morning!
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by sirwilly1(m): 8:31am On Oct 02, 2015
Does the stat cover those on nairaland? Because if it did, 65 million is small.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by GodMode: 8:39am On Oct 02, 2015
PDPwayoo:

you lie. 5% south south OK but not East because of the following reasons:-
1. have helped a young igbo man less than age of 30 to fill arrival card in the airport.

2. I have helped an igbo boy of less than 30 years of age to read and send sms.

3. My late grand mother communicate in English but never step her foot in school.

4. I have seen with my eyes, several villages in Ebony state where they teach mathematics in Igbo language... e weri nka, ti ye nka.

5. In Delta state, everybody speaks English or pidgin unlike any other state. FOREIGNERS DONT NEED INTERPRETER WHEN COMING TO DELTA COS EVERYBODY UNDERSTANDS ENGLISH OR PIDGIN.

Even yorubas are not too educated as they claim. I have seen a beautiful girl in Ibadan, she was 24 yrs. and dont understand English or pidgin.

The main language in china is mandarin... They read, write, speak and understand mandarin..

English is not a standard for literacy..

Nigeria has st:upid leaders.. If not the local languages will be used in schools instead of english.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by tonychristopher: 8:43am On Oct 02, 2015
Neplusultra:
Oga wia u dey since? Good morning!

nwanyi di sharp, nwanyi oma, enewe ukwu egbuo ewu, enewe ikpu egbu mgbada..juo okeipku

I have been roaming the face of the earth trying to cut deals ...lol but I am around. Nne kedu ije ?
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nobody: 8:43am On Oct 02, 2015
uselessgoat:
MANY OF THEM ARE IGBOS. THAT'S WHY THEY WANT BIAFRA SO IGBO CAN BE THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGE SINCE THEIR TONGUE IS TOO TWISTED WITH AKPU AND OGBONO SOUP undecidedWHICH MAKES ENGLISH SPEAKING SO HARD FOR THEM.

EVEN THEIR SUICIDE MISSION LEADER NNAMDI KANU PRONOUNCED OIL AS "OYEL" ON RADIO BIAFRA undecided

Your name has rightly defined you
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by tonychristopher: 8:44am On Oct 02, 2015
that has been my point anyway

GodMode:

The main language in china is mandarin... They read, write, speak and understand mandarin..

English is not a standard for literacy..

Nigeria has st:upid leaders.. If not the local languages will be used in schools instead of english.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by tonychristopher: 8:44am On Oct 02, 2015
what a man name is so he is

now recieve uselessness

uselessgoat:
MANY OF THEM ARE IGBOS. THAT'S WHY THEY WANT BIAFRA SO IGBO CAN BE THEIR NATIONAL LANGUAGE SINCE THEIR TONGUE IS TOO TWISTED WITH AKPU AND OGBONO SOUP undecidedWHICH MAKES ENGLISH SPEAKING SO HARD FOR THEM.

EVEN THEIR SUICIDE MISSION LEADER NNAMDI KANU PRONOUNCED OIL AS "OYEL" ON RADIO BIAFRA undecided
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by yomi007k(m): 8:48am On Oct 02, 2015
Plenty illiterates faaa,

I have a lawyer brother that still believes drinking coke cauese pile(jedi jedi) grin

Ode.
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by GodMode: 8:52am On Oct 02, 2015
yomi007k:
Plenty illiterates faaa,

I have a lawyer brother that still believes drinking coke cauese pile(jedi jedi) grin

Ode.

Too much sugar causes pile.. Soft drinks have a lot of sugar in them.. So they also cause pile..

It depends on the person's body and what triggers pile in that person's body..
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by baloney: 8:53am On Oct 02, 2015
very on point
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Nivans01: 8:54am On Oct 02, 2015
[i][/i]typing...
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by ribbit: 8:59am On Oct 02, 2015
Decibel:
lmao .. So south east is so literate yet they run to south west to sell gala and pirated cds .. Lol .. Igbos can say anything to make emself feel good grin

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Orikinla(m): 9:02am On Oct 02, 2015
CALL TO ACTION: To Save Millions Of Girls Out Of School In Nigeria - Politics - Nigeria, https://www.nairaland.com/2634497/call-action-save-millions-girls

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Touchey: 9:02am On Oct 02, 2015
tonychristopher:
Illiteracy is the ability to read and write down

Hausa can read Hausa I see them and they can read Arabic

Will u call them illiterate .to me No

So everyone mustn't speak English

Oyibo peeps seff

once you can read and write any form of language you are not illiterate

You are part of the 65million smh....
Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by Orikinla(m): 9:07am On Oct 02, 2015
BALLOSKI:
Gadamit!
I can see illiteracy as displayed on NL on a daily basis, so I don't doubt this.
grin
BALLOSKI:
Gadamit!
I can see illiteracy as displayed on NL on a daily basis, so I don't doubt this.

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by HungerBAD: 9:09am On Oct 02, 2015
Sanchez01:
All these international organizations and their lust for unverified statistics. It still baffles me on how they drew their conclusion based on survey tracking, with the mention of Katsina as probable case study.

65 million is really on the high side and it's indeed scary... Hungerbad and Balloski, the wailers you're referring to are not stark illiterates, some, though not all are educated but not enlightened. A case study of a chief wailer accusing the opposition for chasing him from Facebook, whereas he was only asked by Facebook to verify his accountundecided

Lol nice one.

1 Like

Re: 65 Million Nigerians Still Illiterate, Says UNESCO by David4best(m): 9:10am On Oct 02, 2015
They should quickly do something about it so that unnecessary killing, fighting, arm rubbering, and people wrong mentallity to life will be draustically reduced and eradicated in this country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Student Shot During Protest In FUNAAB Is Not Dead, He's Receiving Treatment / No Candidate From Sokoto, Zamfara Govt Schools As WASSCE Begins May 16 / Admission 2 Offa State College Of Health

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.