Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,256 members, 7,807,883 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:33 PM

Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah (18830 Views)

Governors, Ministers Must Declare Assets – Buhari / Buhari, Osinbajo Declare Assets / Buhari Never Said He Would Declare His Assets Publicly, APC Did - Presidency (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Aminat508(f): 8:08am On Oct 02, 2015
[b] The Bishop, Catholic Diocese of Sokoto, Matthew Kukah, says there is a need for President Muhammadu Buhari’s ministers to publicly declare their assets just as Buhari did last month.

Kukah, who is also a member of the National Peace Committee, said this at an annual programme titled, “The Platform,” which was organised by the Covenant Christian Centre in Lagos, on Thursday.

He said, “Buhari has an opportunity now. I don’t think many of you have been to Buhari’s house in Kaduna but I have been there and I know what it looks like. You heard about his declaration of assets. He must, therefore, make minimum demands of moral conduct and probity from his ministers. As Nigerians, we must ask ourselves what drives corruption.

“Corrupt people are not necessarily bad people. A lot of them are not bad people because they do a lot of good things. But we live in a country where too many good people are doing too many bad things.”

The cleric said Buhari must set standards for his ministers on the kind of lifestyles they and their families must live.

He said for instance, it would be good if the President demands that all the children of his ministers must school in Nigeria.

Kukah added, “For me, if you are a minister of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, your children must have their education in Nigeria. That will be good.”

While delivering his lecture titled, “Hysteria, euphoria and amnesia: Nigeria’s long walk to freedom,” Kukah said Nigeria had failed to develop because the country had continued to make the same mistakes.

Defending his stance that ruling Nigeria should not be only about jailing corrupt people, Kukah said all coups including the first one of 1966 were perpetrated under the pretext of fighting corruption.

He, therefore, argued that restructuring the system and plugging all loopholes remains the best way to fight corruption.

He said, “If you take the worst Nigerian President and Americans are patient enough to vote for him and he rules America for 20 years, he will not be able to steal up to $50,000 no matter how long he rules because of the kind of system that operates there.

“But if you take a British Prime Minister or American President and make him the President of Nigeria, the moment he wants to set up an anti-corruption agency, he will have to bribe the National Assembly.”

Kukah said the proliferation of churches or mosques in a country did not necessary imply that the nation would have a high moral standard or development. He said unlike Nigerian leaders, former South African President, Nelson Mandela, was never seen in a church.

While comparing former President Olusegun Obasanjo with Mandela, Kukah said the circumstances in the nation prevented Obasanjo from being like Mandela.

He said, “Both of them went to prison and became Presidents when they were released but we know that if Mandela had gone to a Nigerian prison, he would have died there.

“When Mandela came out of prison, there was a structure in place. His party had been in existence since 1912. It had a doctrine, discipline. When Mandela came out of prison on February 11, 1990 and when he was approached, he said he would have to consult with Oliver Thambo. Mandela was already a party man.

“Compare this with President Obasanjo who came into power through the PDP. Look at the circumstances of the formation of the party. Mandela was also fortunate to inherit an economic and bureaucratic system that had been in place for long. Obasanjo inherited a system that was severely weakened.”[/b]

Source:http://www.punchng.com/politics/buharis-ministers-must-declare-assets-publicly-kukah/

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Bolade005: 8:09am On Oct 02, 2015
I agree with the public declaration of assets, they all should be compelled to do so but telling them their children must school in Nigeria is pure nonsense.

So because my father is a minister I should be denied the opportunity to get educated at one of the best schools in the world?, father better not accept the post then. Rubbish talk.

Btw, who is this Mr Kukah?

24 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by kodlins(f): 8:14am On Oct 02, 2015
Bishop Kukah really delivered a great lecture yesterday.

Every single person in the auditorium gave an overwhelming applause and standing ovation.

He was my best speaker. Seconded by Mrs Bolanle Peters.

59 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by infinitygroup(m): 8:16am On Oct 02, 2015
Ok
Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by largehead: 8:17am On Oct 02, 2015
Young John the wicked Producer

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by webshopng1(m): 8:17am On Oct 02, 2015
Amen my bishop.

But what happens wen they lie about it undecided

2 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by eazysmiles: 8:17am On Oct 02, 2015
I think I agree with him.

But wait... wetin happen to you when you were saying things about the probe of the last administration. You were not yourself then, right?

Welcome back cool

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by shiinihost: 8:18am On Oct 02, 2015
Listening to this man speak yesterday at the platform, i became ashamed of my faith. Kukah and his likes are some of the persons holding Nigeria sway.

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Richie0974: 8:18am On Oct 02, 2015
It's their choice
Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Ngasky(m): 8:18am On Oct 02, 2015
yes
Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by tayebest(m): 8:18am On Oct 02, 2015
This Bishop is always on point....

To me sha, Declearing their assets na must oo

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 02, 2015
shiinihost:
Listening to this man yesterday at the platform, i became ashamed of my faith. Kukah and his likes are some of the persons holding Nigeria sway.

Use simple English

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by omusiliyu(m): 8:19am On Oct 02, 2015
For those that are castigating the politicians read what Aristotle said about you.

"Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber."

10 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Nobody: 8:19am On Oct 02, 2015
Tell Ur people at the Senate to declare theirs , starting with Saraki

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by okeyley: 8:19am On Oct 02, 2015
OK ooooooo

next ,....,..
Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Holuwakemmy16(f): 8:19am On Oct 02, 2015
Yes they must do that,I agree with u.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by lightheart(m): 8:20am On Oct 02, 2015
Nice points delivered.

largehead:
Young John the wicked Weekend Producer
There now....dont mention. cool

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by skak(m): 8:20am On Oct 02, 2015
Why your name is not on #TheList?

That means you are also currupt

I dont listen to currupt people

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by yubarbs(m): 8:20am On Oct 02, 2015
nice one

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Nobody: 8:20am On Oct 02, 2015
declare this,,,declare that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how that one wan affect my school fee,,,,,,,,,baba find something to do jare

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Kx: 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Needless to say that incoming ministers should be made to declare their assets IF the Nigerian constitution says so,

however,one would equally like to reconfirm if Kukah is now speaking from the religious pulpit or from the political campaign pulpit.

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Nobody: 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Waiting for Rotimi Amaechi's assets declaration

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by kennyman2000(m): 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Kukah can keep his opinions to himself and if he thinks he cant keep it by himself.. He can set up a committee in his church and keep it with them cos Buhari knows better..

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by peterkul(m): 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Same Bishop that asked Buhari not to probe GEJ But a good suGgestion!!!

5 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Firefire(m): 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Supported! cool
Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by drss(m): 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Angel Rotimi Ameachi is worth N80 billion in cool cash even though he doesn't like money. D monies are reserved for holy activities.

12 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Richie0974: 8:21am On Oct 02, 2015
Aminat508:

“Both of them went to prison and became Presidents when they were released but we know that if Mandela had gone to a Nigerian prison, he would have died there./

This got me laughing

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Nobody: 8:22am On Oct 02, 2015
Kx:
Needless to say that incoming ministers should be made to declare their assets IF the Nigerian constitution says so,

however,one would equally like to reconfirm if Kukah is now speaking from the religious pulpit or from the political campaign pulpit.
he is speaking as a good Nigerian.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Kayendy(m): 8:22am On Oct 02, 2015
Agree with wat dis man said full time but u can't force pple abt d choice of sch for deir children... the man made a lot of sense ooo by saying a good American president will be corrupt in naija cos of d system but he shouldn't have painted OBJ as a saint

1 Like

Re: Buhari’s Ministers Must Declare Assets Publicly –kukah by Sijo01(f): 8:22am On Oct 02, 2015
Seconded!

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Okorocha Receives Osinbajo In Imo State (Photos) / Fayemi: No Land For Outsiders In Ekiti / Electricity Production By Governments From 1999 To 2020 - StatiSense

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.