Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,303 members, 7,808,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:30 AM

Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man (14154 Views)

Do You Know Why They Tried To Lynch Charly Boy? / Man Threatens To Lynch Charly Boy For "Ridiculing Buhari, Nigerian Messiah" / MOPOL And Naval Personnel Clash In Port Harcourt (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Islie: 9:43am On Oct 02, 2015
By Ufuoma Tiveruahor
Lagos—Kirikiri area of Lagos, was yesterday, thrown into pandemonium, following attempt by a mob to lynch some naval personnel whom they accused causing of the death of a conductor attached to a truck driver
The deceased was reportedly crushed by the truck he was attached to, while the driver, Ibrahim Salima, was reportedly running away from naval personnel stationed at the Kirikiri bridge, by Tokunbo car park road, to control the perennial gridlock.

There were, however, different accounts to how the tragedy happened. A version of the account, alleged that naval personnel stationed there usually collect N500 from truck drivers who wait on the queue to get petroleum products from jetties, daily.

How truck conductor died
However at about 9am yesterday, Salisu was said to have refused to part with the amount, an action that was taken as affront by the naval ratings. One of them was said to have chased the moving truck, in the process of which he allegedly dragged the motor boy, identified as Abass Kasali, out.
Unfortunately, Kasali reportedly fell right under the truck and was crushed by the moving truck.

Another version of the account, said when the truck driver sighted the naval rating approaching, he reportedly jumped into the truck started the ignition, with a view to vacate the illegal parking spot. In the process, the conductor followed suit, but reportedly missed his steps and fell right under the truck, causing the tyres to run over him.

A third version also had it that the truck had a break failure and in the driver’s bid to control it, it rammed into a commercial motorcyclist, killing him on the spot.

The incident reportedly sparked off a protest, as an angry mob reportedly descended on the naval rating. Some of his colleagues who were on their way to work reportedly stopped to rescue him from the angry mob. But they were reportedly overpowered.

It took the combined efforts of armed military men, including the Police to quell the situation.
Eye witnesses said: “The man was sitting down here (pointing to a position) when the tanker driver approached him to come and work with him, explaining that his real motor boy was ill.

It was not up to two hours that we saw him struggling with a known naval personnel who usually comes around to collect N500 from all tanker drivers. By this time, the driver had veered off his lane in a bid to move. In the process, he hit a car with the number plate BX 941 ABC and a motorcycle with plate number KSF342 QE.
“Along the line, the rating succeeded in dragging the motor boy down from the truck.

Unfortunately, he fell and had his head crushed by the tyres of the truck and died instantly.
“A mob held the naval personnel hostage and locked him inside a shop until the arrival of his colleagues who came and rescued him. Tanker drivers and their conductors started protesting the death of their member. But the Navy condoned off all routes leading to their barracks and shot sporadically to wade off the
protesters.”

When Vanguard arrived the scene, blood stained as well as particles suspected to be the deceased’s skull were sighted on the spot. The incident worsened the traffic situation in the area, as vehicles remained stand still position for the better part of the day.
However, when this reporter attempted to take shots of the scene, some men in plain clothes who identified themselves as naval personnel apprehended this reporter.

Her phone was seized, as she was whisked into a waiting van, to a place where some uniformed naval personnel were, with threat from some of them to beat her up. It took the intervention of some officers of the ranks of Lieutenants to free this reporter from the the ratings.

Petroleum tanker drivers react
National spokesman of the Petroleum Tanker Drivers,PTD branch of the Nigeria Union of Petroleum and Natural Gas Workers, NUPENG, Adebayo Akande said, the deceased was yet to be identified at the time of filing this report.
Akange also said the group had got in touch with the Naval Base in Satellite Town, noting that investigation into the cause of the death of the conductor was still ongoing.

“The Navy has also commenced its own investigation and both groups will compare notes at the end of the exercise,” Akanga said, informing that the outcome of the investigation would determine the association’s next line of action.

Naval sources speak
Efforts to reach the Commander, Nigerian Navy Ship, NNS WEY, whose jurisdiction controls the point, failed as he was not in the office when Vanguard called. But Naval sources debunked allegation that the ratings were extorting money from tanker drivers. Rather sources stated that the Ratings were stationed there to control the flow of traffic.

Naval sources said: “The Navy is not responsible for the death of the conductor as alleged. And the Navy does not collect dues from tanker drivers. The dues is between the tanker drivers and the designated union Task Force.
“When the incident happened, our men were held
hostage by a mob and in the process, they sustained injuries. Even when a reinforcement went for their rescue, stones were hauled at them, with the mob threatening to kill at least one of our men. What we did was to fire warning shots into the air to disperse them and nobody died as a result of the bullets fired.

“The area is calm now. Driver of the truck , Ibrahim Salima, has been arrested by the Police. We did not lose any of our personnel as widely rumoured. The Commanders NNS Beecroft and NNS WEY were at the scene to get on the spot information.”

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/10/independece-tragedy-mob-attempts-to-lynch-naval-personnel-over-death-of-man/
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by adedayourt(m): 9:44am On Oct 02, 2015
uniform mrn are supposed to be respected but in my country, dey lost der respect to der uncultured manner

anyway its Just an attempt undecided

2 Likes

Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Slimzjoe(m): 9:46am On Oct 02, 2015
The Numerous bad Eggs with Uniform won't stop Giving the Force Bad Names

Smh

The Versions of the Stories don't Point to the Naval officers being wrong

2 Likes

Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by temitemi1(m): 9:47am On Oct 02, 2015
Which of the versions to believe now. RIP to dead sha.

1 Like

Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Republlican(f): 9:49am On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmm its sounds like a line in a movie "the usual suspet,"
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by DuchessLily(f): 9:53am On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmm.. How many versions ? undecided
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by eazysmiles: 9:57am On Oct 02, 2015
WHICH VERSION DO YOU WANT US TO BELIEVE NOW.

May Allah forgive the dead and condolences to the bereaved.
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Hysmady(m): 9:57am On Oct 02, 2015
Been long I commented on NL
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Jusmudi(m): 9:57am On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmm ist RiP 2 d conductor.
2ndly dis 2go version 1, 2, 3 of a tin Dey ar saying, I tink I agree wit d version 1
3rdly d young man in question lost his life because of 500naira, Nw I knw in Nigeria human life is nt up 2 1000naira

1 Like

Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by SuPeRq(f): 9:57am On Oct 02, 2015
Hmmmmmmmmm
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by eleko1: 9:58am On Oct 02, 2015
Hear Naval sources sad 'The Navy is not responsible for the death of the conductor as alleged.And the Navy does not collect 'BRIBE' from tanker drivers'' undecided undecided undecided.Those bastards won't stop twisting story/support illegality.Does it mean the conductor killed himself undecided?

1 Like

Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by lonelydora: 9:58am On Oct 02, 2015
Since there are different accounts to the story, I will reserve my comment until the truth comes out.
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by 69MissedCalls(m): 9:59am On Oct 02, 2015
Thugs on uniform. they can kill harmless citizens but they can't kill shekau

Mr. 69™
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by adrelanine: 9:59am On Oct 02, 2015
m
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by fleshbone(m): 10:01am On Oct 02, 2015
Hehehehe
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by adrelanine: 10:02am On Oct 02, 2015
Rip to the dead..
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by yomi007k(m): 10:03am On Oct 02, 2015
Too many versions of the story, I beg.
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by nasty45(m): 10:04am On Oct 02, 2015
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Richie0974: 10:04am On Oct 02, 2015
Something has to be done about it.. .justice
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by yorobana: 10:06am On Oct 02, 2015
I will really have prefered it so
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by SirLegal(m): 10:06am On Oct 02, 2015
who/which should I believe

RIP to the dead.
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by aragran1: 10:07am On Oct 02, 2015
the way this officers take us for granted
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by ihatebuhari(f): 10:07am On Oct 02, 2015
Lol
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Timoleon(m): 10:08am On Oct 02, 2015
version 1,2,3 has one common denominator....a naval rating wanting to reap where he did not sow! Truth remains that only jungle justice can provide reasonable justice for some situations. This naval rating will most likely get transfered, and the case will die off. R.I.P to the humble guy who just wwanted to work for his daily bread.

1 Like

Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Godsonkemz(m): 10:12am On Oct 02, 2015
I don't knw which account to subscribe to. The rate at which most conductors toy wit their lives is so appalling as if dis life has a return leg. Imagine a conductor jumping in and out while the vehicle is still in motion.
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by austinsmat(m): 10:14am On Oct 02, 2015
navy again when there shot ipob members on 30 august 2015 at bridge head Onitsha people will praising them for the killing, now is another tragedy.
if I may ask what are Navy people doing on the land or are there no sea to protect I tire for this zoo republic
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Desyree: 10:14am On Oct 02, 2015
as usual they will try to bend the truth because its an officer vs truck boy. but the naval guy must live the rest of his life with troubled conscience. the blood of the truck boy will hunt him for as long as he lives
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by okeyley: 10:16am On Oct 02, 2015
ok

1 Like

Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by Nobody: 10:18am On Oct 02, 2015
yomi007k:
Too many versions of the story, I beg.

I tell you.......
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by dre11(m): 10:19am On Oct 02, 2015
The naval Officer trying to play smart and economy with their report

The third version doesn't make sense to me. So, because they crushed the motorcycle.... Then the conductor die or what
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by ijustdey: 10:23am On Oct 02, 2015
navy men and too many death
Re: Mob Attempts To Lynch Naval Personnel Over Death Of Man by menix(m): 10:27am On Oct 02, 2015
Nah devil version remain now.

Ysterday was soldiers kill 2 terrorist nd it made news.

So in essence, for every 2 terrorist killed by soldier there would be a corresponding innocent civilian killed by Navy.

Rip conductor.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Look At The Stress We Are Facing In Makurdi, Suswam Thank U For Voterz Card Reg / Sagay Reveals Why He Joined APC, Blasts Yinka Odumakin / Marina Jetty, CMS: When Would The Reconstruction Work There Continue? (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.