Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,544 members, 7,808,997 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:50 PM

Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? (3960 Views)

Pregnant Woman Drags Her Man In Maternity Photoshoot / "My Husband Employed Imam To Have Sex With Me For 3 Days" – Wife / Pregnant Woman Blasted For 'bleaching' Her Baby Bump [PICS] (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by kendraloops(f): 12:37pm On Oct 02, 2015
I recently lost my job (sobs) and I've been trying to get another. once I mention that I'm pregnant, story go change. Do people feel pregnant ladies can't function well or what? I can't stay at home doing nothing cos imaginary sicknesses just start to worry me; from backache to headache to tummy pain all because I'm idle and paying too much attention to myself.

I've thought about hiding it as im not showing yet but I wanna be honest jare. it didn't easy. I need to work cos I need the money and to keep busy also.

Ever gone through this?

1 Like

Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by adedayourt(m): 12:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
employers consider a preg woman a liability cus of der limited productive hr during and immediatly after preg. Dey dont really like dat series if leave dey are forced to give.

pks dont lie bout ur ststus to any prospective employer as u wud get a befittin job even wit it.

take hrt, one disappointmnt is only a redirection to a better appointmnt

4 Likes

Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by kendraloops(f): 2:16pm On Oct 02, 2015
adedayourt:
employers consider a preg woman a liability cus of der limited productive hr during and immediatly after preg. Dey dont really like dat series if leave dey are forced to give.

pks dont lie bout ur ststus to any prospective employer as u wud get a befittin job even wit it.

take hrt, one disappointmnt is only a redirection to a better appointmnt

Thanks sir! I appreciate the encouraging words.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by afrobaby(f): 2:47pm On Oct 02, 2015
I don't really know how to advise you but I was already 1 month pregnant before I got my job.

Your case is different , maybe, because, you are already aware of your state and I must tell you, pregnancy with a new job isn't easy at all. I once told my HR after employment that I would have rejected the offer assuming I knew on earlier that I was pregnant.

Most companies just don't like that maternity leave and the fact that pregnant women can't really give their best.

Continue searching, I am sure, one will come hopefully before you start showing
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by Miami11: 5:12pm On Oct 02, 2015
I hid my pregnancy then got a job
It was cold when I went for interview
So I put on big coat and got hired
They regreted but I was already there tired and lazy.

7 Likes

Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by ronald4lif(m): 5:25pm On Oct 02, 2015
If the pregnancy isn't obvious and noticeable then don't state you're pregnant. You don't need honesty in every situation about life and in cases like this one. Your chances of being recruited by any firm when pregnant is near to zero. Zilch.

Depending on your domicile no employer would dehire you coz you were pregnant on assumption of your job for fear of discrimination litigate. You can always claim you weren't aware prior to applying. Do what you've got to do if you really want to get back to work.

1 Like

Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by lepacious: 5:28pm On Oct 02, 2015
Try your hands on doing something for yourself to keep busy.

A while back I was trying for another child. Went for an interview. Wasn't really interested. Took in a month later.

I'm not interested in working for anyone so I can have time for my kids.

Pray and ask God for direction. Cheers.
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by kendraloops(f): 5:45pm On Oct 02, 2015
afrobaby, you're right. I'm sure its that maternity stuff they're bothered about. Its frustrating sometimes but the search continues.

ronald4lif, its not that easy. maybe its the kind of person I am, I don't know. any coy that won't hire me cos I'm preggy can't be such a good coy to work for or what do you think?

lepacious, please I'm open to suggestions. you're working from home now?

miami11, how did you cope?
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by heavensown: 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2015
But did you have to declare that you were pregnant? Were you asked at the interview or at any stage in the hiring process? Unless specifically asked, you are not obliged to tell them. I once got a job when I was about 5 months pregnant. I did not make too much effort to hide it and I'm not sure whether they noticed or not but I got the job and performed well inspire of the pregnancy. It didn't affect my productivity in anyway but nonetheless, I think everyone is different when it comes to pregnancy. Do not lie if asked and do not declare unless you think it is absolutely necessary for any reason which will impact the role maybe. One just needs to apply some wisdom. And to add, don't "expect" that it will be hard for you or that sloppiness will be acceptable once you are pregnant. If you happen to be too ill to work, don't push yourself more than necessary for the sake of your baby but then at the same time, I think it is only normal for people to expect you to deliver the job you were hired for unless you have physical or health challenges.
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by ronald4lif(m): 6:16pm On Oct 02, 2015
kendraloops:
afro baby, you're right. I'm sure its that maternity stuff they're bothered about. Its frustrating sometimes but the search continues.

ronald 4lif, its not that easy. maybe its the kind of person I am, I don't know. any coy that won't hire me cos I'm preggy can't be such a good coy to work for or what do you think?

lepa cious, please I'm open to suggestions. you're working from home now?

miam i11, how did you cope?

Not exactly true but that could be an actuality and shouldn't be dismissed. For most reason I think it'll trammel their work force when you take up maternity recess in few months as they'd have to get a temporal staff to fit into your portfolio. No employer want to go through the hassle of routinely recruiting staff, either on temporal or permanent placement and they try to avert it at all cost.

Also, they're uncertain about your longevity and commitment to their establishment if recruited. It's possible that you might quit after months of paid leave which put the firm at a loss. This is majorly a factor as you'd be getting paid maternity leave without contributing consequentially to the firm.

Permit me to ask where is your base?

2 Likes

Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by kendraloops(f): 8:53pm On Oct 02, 2015
ronald4lif, I'm based in Ondo state.

I get all your points, thanks so much. Seems you're an employer as you're talking from their point of view but I really get you though. Every employer sets out to get the best from their workers, no one wants a "liability".
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by Miami11: 9:55pm On Oct 02, 2015
Kendraloops

It was hard for me working as a pregnant woman I had very bad pregnancy, though,
Some people can still work until last minute.
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by ronald4lif(m): 12:51am On Oct 03, 2015
kendraloops:
ronald 4lif, I'm based in Ondo state.

I get all your points, thanks so much. Seems you're an employer as you're talking from their point of view but I really get you though. Every employer sets out to get the best from their workers, no one wants a "liability".

You're welcome. Nah, I'm not an employer lol. Just talking from a general point of view. I'm afraid since in Nigeria I'd advise you adopt honesty when/if asked about pregnancy. Not sure but we all know that to a large extent labour rights get infringe on by employers without much consequence from labour union and laws aren't enforced. You might lie and get axed once they notice you're pregnant. So, in that case there's no point to be evasive.

My submission was premised on the thought that you're domiciled in the West. Good luck with your job hunt.
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by initiate: 7:47pm On Oct 03, 2015
for a young and growing organization, a pregnant staff is a liability, moreso when the economy is slow.

its better to get a job in a big company eg a multinational where you can sue them for discrimination. way forward, up your skills and look for job in a large company or govt

1 Like

Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by afrobaby(f): 11:20am On Oct 05, 2015
Miami11:
I hid my pregnancy then got a job
It was cold when I went for interview
So I put on big coat and got hired
They regreted but I was already there tired and lazy.

You bad oo, lol
Re: Ever Gotten Employed As A Pregnant Woman? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 05, 2015
i know of companies(service coy) who take more of single ladies especially for a role/job descriptions for example Field Engineers, because pregnant women are not allowed to do certain works as it endangers the health of the baby.

It all depends on you, the type of work, and the company's policies.

(1) (Reply)

Why Are People So Rude On NL? / Sex And Consent In Marriage / Nigerian Doctor In USA Abandon Family,rushed Down To His Village To Farm.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.