Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,210 members, 7,807,720 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 06:02 PM

Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration (137468 Views)

Top 10 Universities For Information Technology Career In Nigeria / 10 Reasons Why You Should Go For Postgraduate Studies / Top 5 Nigerian Universities For Postgraduate Studies (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Nobody: 4:28pm On Oct 02, 2015
Mathias orhero...you again?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by bodekom92(m): 4:29pm On Oct 02, 2015
Simitrendy:
Unilorin is cool tho but the way they treat PG students is not different from the way they treat we Undergraduates... Lol at most times they use dress code for PG students. I'll prefer to do my PGS at OAU. TeamBBF! #BetterByFar. #TeamOKEodoBoys.
The trannys are beginning to show up.
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by yokiti: 4:30pm On Oct 02, 2015
Ihinmi:

I think you should ask your friend what is making 18 turning to 24 months. Only thing i know that can cause that is project.

the advertisement was for 18 months duration the project inclusive, what has changed that ALL the PG students of that department in question were affected?
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by gurunlocker: 4:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
fratermathy:

The range I put was intended for Academic Masters and not Professional Masters.

the estimated for UI and Unilorin..... the 200k, is it going to be 200k for each session or 200k for the whole program?.....

really need this info ASAP...

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Panshow(m): 4:35pm On Oct 02, 2015
fratermathy:

The range I put was intended for Academic Masters and not Professional Masters.
You pegged school fees + cost of leaving at just N100,000 - N150,000?. I think I disagree with this, cos i've not seen anywhere in this country where you pay less than 120k for just school fees, not to talk of cost of leaving.
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by olaboy33(m): 4:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
Simitrendy:
Unilorin is cool tho but the way they treat PG students is not different from the way they treat we Undergraduates... Lol at most times they use dress code for PG students. I'll prefer to do my PGS at OAU. TeamBBF! #BetterByFar. #TeamOKEodoBoys.

#BBF.....#team okeodo...#team kay dorms...
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by pus30: 4:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
Statistics student inside the University of Ilorin, Ilorin

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by SonOfEl(m): 4:36pm On Oct 02, 2015
GentleNaaz:

please, do u knw hw much it costs to run Msc in FUTO? I want to pick form dia ds month

btw N200000 and N250000.
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by fratermathy(m): 4:38pm On Oct 02, 2015
Panshow:

You pegged school fees + cost of leaving at just N100,000 - N150,000?. I think I disagree with this, cos i've not seen anywhere in this country where you pay less than 120k for just school fees, not to talk of cost of leaving.

School Fees in less than 100k in UNIUYO, UNICAL, and many others.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by fratermathy(m): 4:38pm On Oct 02, 2015
gurunlocker:

the estimated for UI and Unilorin..... the 200k, is it going to be 200k for each session or 200k for the whole program?.....

really need this info ASAP...

A session bro.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Atandaowon(m): 4:39pm On Oct 02, 2015
Nigerian Defense Academy is supposed to be on the list. Their fees are affordable, the classrooms and school environment are extremely conducive and you will use exactly the assigned number of year(s) for your chosen course.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by janefrancisca(f): 4:41pm On Oct 02, 2015
Op remove UNIZIK from that list because they waste time a lot. Not all the lecturers are enthusiastic to lecture, some don't even have an in-depth knowledge of the courses they lecture. Even when you finally write exams, it will take them donkey years to mark the scripts and release the results. I wrote one of my 1st semester exam around September 2013 and up till now the result is not yet out. Worse is they will waste your time and still expect one to pay for all those years before graduating. My friend who started her Msc in Computer Engineering that has just 3 semesters since 2012 is still struggling with course work. They are fast with their undergraduate programmes but for post graduate programmes, even a snail is faster.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by d33types: 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
fratermathy , what's delsu doing there..all the aforementioned schools are okay..not delsu..never..

I am suspecting you finished there
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by fratermathy(m): 4:42pm On Oct 02, 2015
Keneking:
Ok

You started well...the initial list of five are in order for PG, however the underlisted are undecided

- remove University of Calabar (good for Bachelor degree)
- remove Nnamdi Azikwe University (ditto)
- remove University of Uyo (ditto)

What are your reasons for believing that UNICAL, UNIUYO and UNIZIK aren't good for PG?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Nobody: 4:43pm On Oct 02, 2015
yokiti:
Some people will just sit down in their rooms and form what isn't true. Unilorin shouldn't be on that list.

Imagine my friend's 18 months programme turning to over 24 months.
What will u than say about uniben mechanical department. People spend four years plus master.
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by fratermathy(m): 4:44pm On Oct 02, 2015
akomst:
I rush here to see if ABU made it to the list and I was sad it did embarassed
ABU Postgraduate School is simply after your money, be warned. I better don't say more, ... am still in d system.

My findings show that ABU has good staff strength and that Oral Defence stage is relatively easy to scale through. Maybe the problem is unique to your department or my sources are trying to glorify the school.
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by seun305: 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2015
yokiti:

I will leave you with what you have concluded in your heart.
This is the problem with my people in NIGERIA, instead of us joining hands to criticize what is bad, some will emotionally attack you for doing such for reasons best known to them.

*I'll leave it as u've said it*

Bt if u r nt failing ur exams or doing ur project is unethical, UNILORIN can't hld u down!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by fratermathy(m): 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2015
d33types:
fratermathy , what's delsu doing there..all the aforementioned schools are okay..not delsu..never..

I am suspecting you finished there

I constrained DELSU to only a Faculty if you look at it well. i.e. FSS. I want to make sure a state university is included and I dont have much data on state schools so I made do with what I had and that was DELSU.
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Emyben(m): 4:46pm On Oct 02, 2015
Unizik deserves its place there.. I started my Msc studies in February, 2014 and i graduated 9th September, 2015. So, who says its not fast?

For those of you complaining about Unizik,, its Either you are delaying yourself or you are letting your dept delay you. Unizik is generally fast.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 02, 2015
fratermathy:

My findings show that ABU has good staff strength and that Oral Defence stage is relatively easy to scale through. Maybe the problem is unique to your department or my sources are trying to glorify the school.

They were trying to glorify the school
Honestly I pity anyone going there to do PG studies
The least you can stay is 4years for masters
they have some of the most sadistic unprofessional lecturers in the world

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by bennymcnonny(m): 4:51pm On Oct 02, 2015
zleemshaddy:
FUT0
Guy u wan kill yourself?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by koppa(m): 4:54pm On Oct 02, 2015
khassy:
why is it only UNILORIN own that the building looks unkempt and dirty

BTW
Today's my mom's birthday

can I get some likes for her
Guy wait come here,don't make me start thinking things...

It's my Mum birthday today too

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by isukuru3(m): 4:54pm On Oct 02, 2015
Very useful thread!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by ProdigyLoco(m): 4:55pm On Oct 02, 2015
fav444:
Funaab deserves to be there joor
i tire oh
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by koife(m): 4:59pm On Oct 02, 2015
Bro your list is incomplete without NDA, trust me...everything is done with the speed of light!

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Nobody: 5:00pm On Oct 02, 2015
bennymcnonny:
Guy u wan kill yourself?
lol no, just want to know about futo post graduate..
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by rebirthiix: 5:00pm On Oct 02, 2015
U 4got OAU... 30months
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 5:01pm On Oct 02, 2015
fratermathy:
Hello Nairalanders! wink

This article is about the best schools for Postgraduate studies in Nigeria. As we all know, almost all Nigerian graduates are taking the academic path to garner postgraduate degrees. This has become a trend largely because of the unavailability of jobs. Graduates attempt at getting Postgraduates degrees such as PGD, M.A, M.sc, M.Agric, LL.M, Ph.D, etc.These degrees are gotten mainly to increase and balance the odds in gaining a good job. Having a First Class or Second Class Upper is no longer a guarantee to secure a mouth watery job anymore. So PG degrees become handy in other to gain more experience, spend the time of joblessness and further one's educational status.

However, most graduates are in doubt about where to go to for their Postgraduate programs! Some are not aware of the costs for taking such a study and some are skeptical about the time they'll spend in the program. This list has thus been compiled to sample of the renowned and possibly, best Postgraduate programmes in the country in other to guide applicants. It should be noted that there is no school that isn't good or standard but there are some schools with a more profitable and fluid program and the factors that dictate this include; duration of program, number of academic staff, school fees, frequency of oral defence, quality of certificates and graduates, etc. Nobody wants to go to a school where s/he will spend 5 Years for a 1-2 Years program. On the average Masters program, the student undertakes course work for two semesters and the last semester(s) is devoted solely to Dissertation/Thesis work. The research proposal is first presented and defended and then the student writes the research under the guidance of a senior academic in the department who in turn approves the Dissertation/Thesis upon completion. Thereafter, the HOD shall notify the relevant Postgraduate committees and boards after which, both internal and external defences shall be done by the student. For PhD, the process is same but the duration is basically 6 or more semesters of which Seminar presentations shall be done and graded by a supervisor and a board of examiners. Any break in this protocol leads to unnecessary delays.

The schools I have compiled below were judged based on various variables of which include; Duration, Quality, Tuition, Location, Alumni, Research Pedigree, Journals/Publications, Acceptability of Results, Speed, Age, among others. Even though this may be a subjective research, I have been as objective as I possibly can and I would welcome any observations, corrections and contributions. Learning is a continual process. I hereby present the list as follows:

1. University of Ibadan:
The University of Ibadan is more or else Nigeria's most widely accepted and attended university for Postgraduate Studies. Students from virtually all of West Africa have eyed this school for so long largely because of the name it has garnered for itself. This institution is known for its quality and fast Postgraduate programs in Arts, Sciences, Law, Social Sciences, Agriculture, Pharmacy, Medical Sciences, Business Management, among others. The programs in this school are designed to be dexterous, fast-paced and research-based. Cost of living is quite cheap for students and staff quantity and quality are excellent. Most people believe that UI rests largely on old glory while others believe that if it is not UI, they'll never undertake a PG program. However, UI has its merits and demerits just like any other school but its merits are more and better. Anyone who can ride along with the classic Yoruba city of Ibadan will have no problem schooling in UI. Journals from this school have high impact factors and are recognised authorities.
The tuition and cost of living for both Master and PhD can be placed between NGN100,000-NGN200,000 on the average. Students are also awarded fellowships and teaching/research assistantships in other to ease their financial burden. The duration of the program is a minimum of 3 semesters (18 Months), sometimes it takes less or more depending on the student, the department and the supervisor. The certificate has a high acceptability even in international circles and graduates are doing well as academics, technocrats and politicians.

2. University of Lagos:
The University of Lagos is one of the nation's premier universities. It is a first generation school that has churned out tons of graduates and counting. The school is located in the buzzing city of Lagos, the commercial heart of Nigeria! It is reputed to have some of the best faculty members and programs in the country. The University is notable to have a diverse range of lecturers that cross ethnic barriers hence in this school, one frequently encounters lecturers who are of Igbo, Igala, Nupe, Edo, Urhobo, Hausa, etc ethnic group as opposed to University of Ibadan that has majorly Yorubas as faculty members. UNILAG has a strong alumni body like UI and it has carved a niche for itself in its PG programs. Programs include M.A., MPA, MBA, M.Sc, M.Agric, M.Fishery, M.Tech, M.Ed, Ph.D, etc and the school is renowned for Law, Arts, Sciences, Engineering and Social Sciences.
Tuition and cost of living is high! Infact, UNILAG is considered by many as the most expensive public university in the country. PG students spend an estimated average of NGN400,000-NGN500,000 per year on tuition, accommodation and miscellanies. The duration, however, comes as a succour to the overtly high standard of living. Students spend an average of 12-15 Months if they are serious with their studies. The certificate is widely acceptable in all spheres. Course work is relatively easy! Most students are mandated to learn another language (mostly French).

3. University of Ilorin:
This University seems to find its way into virtually every listing and ranking of Nigerian Universities. The school is known mainly for one thing, SPEED!!! In UNILORIN, 1 Year is 1 Years, sometimes, even less. The school is located in the Yoru-Fula City of Ilorin in Central Nigeria. The school has adequate infrastructure in place and excellent administration. It has cultivated a good maintenance culture and the staff are up and doing. Students look up to UNILORIN for various reasons and these include, above all, the fact that its academic calendar is fast, stringent, unbreakable and unbeatable. However, staff strength cannot be compared to UI or UNILAG. UNILORIN has on the average, 4 Professors in every discipline whereas UI has 6 on the average. Most academic staff in Ilorin are domestically trained by the school itself because of its good retainment policy.
Tuition and cost of living in UNILORIN on the average can be estimated as NGN100,000-NGN150,000 which places the school slightly below Ibadan. The duration is 3 Semester which are run in a Year and at extreme cases, additional 3-5 months. However speed in UNILORIN depends largely in the student and his supervisor. Once dissertation/thesis is approved, the worst is over and candidates will have their degree within the soonest possible time. It should be noted that some departments mandatorily require 18-20 Months in UNILORIN hence adequate fact finding must be carried out by prospective students.

4. University of Benin:
UNIBEN is another great school for Postgraduate studies in SOME departments. The emphasis on the "SOME" here is that some departments are known to have minor glitches that unnecessarily delay programs. These glitches mostly stem from the HOD of such department. However, the PG programs in UNIBEN are superb, fast-paced and solid. The academic staff strength is averaged at 4 Professors per department which is comparable to UNILORIN. Coursework is done fast and teaching/marking quality is moderate. Physical infrastructures are present but many are worn out and the maintenance culture is lacking in UNIBEN. The alumni strength is commendable and the academic staff are mainly Ibadan trained with a few percentage from Lagos and others are internally trained in the school. The impact factors of Journals is low but comparatively higher than most Federal Universities. This school is renowned for Law, Social Sciences, Arts, Medical and Pure Sciences.
Tuition and cost of living is comparatively low. The average cost will amount to NGN110,000-NGN180,000. The duration of the bulk of programmes is averaged at 15-17 Months. However it may take MUCH LONGER than that in SOME DEPARTMENTS.

5. Ahmadu Bello University :
This is another premier university in Nigeria for quality postgraduate programs. This school is located deep in the heart of Kaduna and it has produced about 70% of all Nigerian Northern Academics, Technocrats and Politicians. This school boasts of good infrastructure with excellent maintenance culture. The staff strength is strong with an averaged professorial strength of 6 per department. Research is consistent with excellent teaching and fast-paced programs. Competition is relatively lower in this institution.
Tuition and cost of living is averaged at NGN100,000-NGN140,000. The duration is 18 months on the average and the certificate enjoys high acceptability. Most supervisors are quite easy going and the academic calendar is a little bit consistent. Journal impact factors are high in the Arts and Social Sciences.

Beyond the top five, there are other schools with COMMENDABLE and QUALITY Postgraduate Programs. I'll briefly highlight some of them.
- University of Uyo: This school is largely UNDERRATED in terms of quality Postgraduate programs. The school has one of the best research orientation in the country. Students are tasked academically and nothing comes easy. This affects the quality of graduates because only sound graduates are churned out. The duration, however, is not quite fluid. The programs require a minimum of 4 Semesters (2 years average) while the cost of living and tuition can be pegged at NGN150,000. However, the staff strength is slightly commendable. Professorial strength can be pegged at 5 per department on the average. In terms of infrastructure, this school has very few to boast of. Maintenance culture is very high and the lecturers are mainly Ibadan and Calabar trained with a few percentage internally trained.

- University of Calabar: Just like its progeny above, this school is underrated. The postgraduate program is also standard, of high quality and medium timed pace. The academic strength is strong and it is an overarching university in the subregion. It has staffed many newer schools such as UNIUYO, UNIBEN, UNIZIK, etc. Infrastructure is moderate and cost of living is high (averaged at NGN200,000). Duration is 3-5 Semesters (averaged at 2 Years).

- Nnamdi Azikiwe University: This school is renowned for its SPEED. Just like UNILORIN, the school rarely partakes in strikes and other disruptive engagements. The staff strength is commendable(pegged at 4 Professors per department on the average) and the infrastructure is dynamic and photogenic. The duration is 18 Months flat. Everything works with speed and order in UNIZIK.

- Others include; University of Maiduguri (Known for Postgraduate Programs in Veterinary Medicine), University of Nigeria (Known for Education, Engineering and Sciences) and at the state level, Delta State University (Known for quality programmes in the Social Sciences).

Feel free to add yours with reasoned arguments as I have done.

Uniben? A lecturer has been extorting my friend there for two years, may I please know your rating criteria?
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by fratermathy(m): 5:04pm On Oct 02, 2015
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Uniben? A lecturer has been extorting my friend there for two years, may I please know your rating criteria?

The criteria is stated in the post. However, for the case of UNIBEN, I outrightly stated that SOME DEPARTMENTS are "funny". However, the
funny" ones do not outnumber the good ones and that is why the school is listed.
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by eljanfortis(m): 5:07pm On Oct 02, 2015
Simitrendy:
lolz,bro na today? #teamumilorites
Re: Nigeria's 5 Best Universities For Postgraduate Studies; Their Costs & Duration by Ihinmi(m): 5:07pm On Oct 02, 2015
yokiti:

the advertisement was for 18 months duration the project inclusive, what has changed that ALL the PG students of that department in question were affected?
I can't understand you, but what am saying is that only your project can delay you if it not aprove by your superv.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Download Complete Time Table For 2012/2013 Waec / University Of Ibadan Post Graduate 2013/2014 Discussion Thread / Maritime Academy Of Nigeria, Oron Admission Application

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.